Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cash-strapped Charlton set to sell off stars in January??? taken from tomorrow's Mirror

Comments

• Options
    I suspect this story has been planted either by Shelveys agent to or by a premier league club who are after him to try and unsettle him. Wouldn't put something like this past Chelsea.
    I seriously doubt it's true, especially about us going into administration as I just don't believe Murray would let that happen. I think the club should make a statement before tomorrows game to show everyone what nonsense it is.
  • Options
    I think the club should make a statement before tomorrows game to show everyone what nonsense it is.

Such as getting him to extend his contract by a year ago as he did a few weeks back?

Chelsea are going to be heavy buyers in this window, if the ban is upheld they won't be signing players for a season or so. If they want Shelvey they'll get him, especially if he decides he wants to go, unless something has changed in the last few weeks then I reckon he'll be staying for a while longer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I think the club should make a statement before tomorrows game to show everyone what nonsense it is.

Such as getting him to extend his contract by a year ago as he did a few weeks back?

Chelsea are going to be heavy buyers in this window, if the ban is upheld they won't be signing players for a season or so. If they want Shelvey they'll get him, especially if he decides he wants to go, unless something has changed in the last few weeks then I reckon he'll be staying for a while longer.

The only purpose of that contract is to push his value up. Plus there are other rumours in that story that need to be clarified.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    hmm, praps the board see this as their last chance saloon to get the squad right to get promoted, Shelvey may well be sacrificed for the right money, but that's life, I think we all knew without a buyer he wouldn't be here too long.
  • Options
    If Shelvey and/or his agent wanted to see him move to Chelsea or any other Prem team this January then he wouldn't have signed the extended contract, no matter how much Charlton wanted him to. Signing the extended contract strengthens the club's hand in transfer negotiations but weakens the players.
  • Options
    By signing the contract it puts value on his head, therefore a bigger transfer fee, and probably more money into Shelvey and his agents' pockets. Don't expect Shelvey to still be with us in 6-12 months time.
  • Options
    The 'Football Spy' in the Mirror is absolute pony. Ive never seen any of the information they have printed in that column come true.

Its all guess work based on little or no fact. This journo probably writes the Horoscopes aswell.
  • Options
    Didn't he sign before being dropped recently to the bench in favour of 442 when 451 stopped working?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]If Shelvey and/or his agent wanted to see him move to Chelsea or any other Prem team this January then he wouldn't have signed the extended contract, no matter how much Charlton wanted him to. Signing the extended contract strengthens the club's hand in transfer negotiations but weakens the players.

Didn't Parker sign new contract at the start of the season and then move to Chelsea the following January?

Not saying that Shelvey is going anywhere but just because he's signed a new contract doesn't mean that he isn't.
  • Options
    Thanks but we should sell mcleod,moo2 and fleetwood because they are not good!
    Also we should sign Akpo,Mooney and Ikeme.
    Along with this shelvey and randolph can earn us some cash.
    This was what it said:
    Cash-strapped Charlton may be forced to sell a number of players, including star midfielder Jonjo Shelvey, this January as their financial woes increase. The club may also face administration next summer if a new investor is not found.
    'Financial Woes' what are they on about?
    I smell a millwall or palace conspiracy!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Moo2 not good? Sign Ikeme?

Stop talking poo!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Moo2 not good? Sign Ikeme?

Stop talking poo![/quote]

I never ment it like that!
    Moo2 just is to much cash not enough perfomances though! Ikeme is class!
    Sorry Dazzler21
  • Options
    David Gold on talksh*te tonight before 10pm for those interested
  • Options
    Every time one of these stories comes up and people start throwing around phrases like ''total fabrication'', I come on here and defend my profession. The simple truth is that 99.9 per cent of journalists do not make stories up. Quite frankly most of them don't have the wit or imagination to do so.

What they do - more or less as a matter of course - is to take something they've been told and exaggerate, amplify and spin it. The original 'tip' is often uncorroborated: the old practice of never running anything unless there are two sources, which I was trained on 35 years ago, bit the dust long ago. Not even the BBC adheres to it anymore.

The Mirror story is not ''fabricated''. It came from a source. Red Robin is probably very astute when he fingers a player's agent as that source - nine out of ten football stories in the red tops come from such agents. That said, it has then been spun and exaggerated to sound as melodramatic as possible, so you can discount the bulk of it.

So what are we left with? As I said last night when this first came up, not a lot more than what Parky himself has said. There are at least two areas in the squad he has said he wants to strengthen, but he has also said that he can't do that until others depart.

Who they will be nobody can as yet know, as it will depend on what offers come in. The Mirror certainly doesn't know. So can I respectfully suggest we all calm down?
  • Options
    I also think that people wildly over-estimate how much clubs like Charlton actually pay players!

Put it this way, Rangers and Celtic - who receive around the same TV money as we do but get far bigger gates and merchandising - basically pay most of their players about 10K per week, they will only go to 20K for their top, top players.

For example, we got Bailey from Southend - we know their financial state - how much do you reckon they were paying him when we signed him? I reckon 3K per week would have been way more than he was on at Roots Hall. Same goes for McLeod.

Even a "modest" wage like 3K per week still works out at 150,000 per year - that's a lot of money to find once you put that across a squad of 15-20 players.

Don't forget, the likes of Semedo, Mouataokil and Racon came to us from smallish clubs in France/Portugal where their wages would have been very, very low.
  • Options
    If Chelsea offer £5M for McLeod I'd take it :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]If Chelsea offer £5M for McLeod I'd take it :-)

Don't forget England appearances and the sell-on clause.
    Where's Andrew Mills when you need him?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]If Chelsea offer £5M for McLeod I'd take it :-)

i'd take £5
  • Options
    James Nursey is The Mirror journo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]

i'd take £5

Hahahaha
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Basey in on 4k a week I have heard, this raises the question of how much our mor established first teamers could be on? Bailey for example could be on close to 10k a week. Hudson who was signed at the same time was on 18k a week so Bailey has to be on at least 8k.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]James ' straight out of ' Nursery is The Mirror journo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]
    Hudson who was signed at the same time was on 18k a week so Bailey has to be on at least 8k.

Hudson, I heard was on around £10 -11k a week, so not sure where you got a £18k figure from, Dan?
    All acedemic now, of course. ;o)
  • Options
    Hudson, I heard was on around £10 -11k a week, so not sure where you got a £18k figure from, Dan?
    All acedemic now, of course. ;o)[/quote]

18k is a figure I heard from someone who knows one of the board members. Also heard Ambrose was on 25k a week but I am also wary that these figures may have been false!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    cafcdan18 reckoned: ''Basey in on 4k a week I have heard, this raises the question of how much our mor established first teamers could be on? Bailey for example could be on close to 10k a week. Hudson who was signed at the same time was on 18k a week so Bailey has to be on at least 8k.''

Doubt Bailey is on 10k per week, Dan, but your 8k - although probably still a bit on the high side - is surely nearer the mark than the wildly optimistic figures of those who reckon there's nobody earning more that 150k a year.

Those who reckon our top earners are only on 3k per week should have a look at the accounts and do the math !
  • Options
    whilst McLeod, Bailey etc, signed whilst we were a Championship club, may be on more I believe those signed since such as Dailey, MacKenzie, Richardson on on 3k pw tops. As for the story itself, load of old tosh.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]I also think that people wildly over-estimate how much clubs like Charlton actually pay players!

Put it this way, Rangers and Celtic - who receive around the same TV money as we do but get far bigger gates and merchandising - basically pay most of their players about 10K per week, they will only go to 20K for their top, top players.

For example, we got Bailey from Southend - we know their financial state - how much do you reckon they were paying him when we signed him? I reckon 3K per week would have been way more than he was on at Roots Hall. Same goes for McLeod.

Even a "modest" wage like 3K per week still works out at 150,000 per year - that's a lot of money to find once you put that across a squad of 15-20 players.

Don't forget, the likes of Semedo, Mouataokil and Racon came to us from smallish clubs in France/Portugal where their wages would have been very, very low.
    Really not sure about that at all. Only have to look at the annual report on the OS each season to see our wage bill for the year - 2008 it was over £20m, season before over £30m. The wage bill can't get that high from 25-30 players on £3k a week each. I'm sure it includes other staff, but the players must take up the majority of that.

Like I said the new signings I can understand won't be on much (though Dailly was at Rangers and Richardson Leeds, surely had to offer something decent to help attract them, even if it wasn't about money for them), but Racon, Semedo, Sam, McLeod even Bailey signing just over a year ago have to be on more than £3k a week. Our wage bill would never be as high as it is otherwise.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Think about when people signed their contracts.

Sam renewed his contract under Dowie and we were still a Premiership club then.

Christensen was allegedly on £5k a week and signed in the summer of 2007 as did Racon, Semedo and Sinclair. It is thus not unreasonable to surmise that they are on similar if not slightly more given the passage of time. Moo2 signed at the same time. Youga signed his contract in the following January so is probably on a similar wage to the others too. I think Basey also signed around the same time so the alleged £4k a week is distinctly feasible.

Whilst we have undoubtedly shifted a lot of high earners I think there are still a good few players on an excellent screw by third division standards and probably a lot of Championship clubs too given our London location.

I would add that it is distinctly possible that we are still paying a substantial chunk of Moo2 and Christensen's wages. One for the privileged elite to ask Mr Murray perhaps?
  • Options
    I know someone who was at school was Basey so the 4k figure should be accurate! Also he signed when we were in the Champ so his wages may like Yougas reflect those of a champ fullback.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Basey in on 4k a week I have heard, this raises the question of how much our mor established first teamers could be on? Bailey for example could be on close to 10k a week. Hudson who was signed at the same time was on 18k a week so Bailey has to be on at least 8k.[/quote]

Hudson was not on 18K per week, fecking hell we barely paid our international players that in the Premiership years.

Bailey is also on nowhere near 10K per week, that's ridiculous.

The problem with our wage bill in the latter Premiership years and our first year in the Championship was not the size of individual salaries neccesarily, although that was a problem in some cases, but the SIZE of the squad we had.

In the first Championship season our squad was massive, certainly compared to anyone else in the division.

CAFC 2007/08 Squad: Weaver; Moutaouakil, Thatcher, McCarthy, Bougherra; Sam, Semedo, Ambrose, Reid; Bent, Iwelumo, Todorov, McLeod, Randolph, Fortune, Sinclair (D), Varney, Youga, Christensen, Dickson, Racon, Powell, Gibbs, Gray, Shelvey, Thomas, Holland, Basey, Wagstaff, Zheng Zhi. LOANS: Cook, Sinclair (S), Lita, Sodje, Halford.

In that year we had 30 professionals on the books and brought in another five on loan!!! That's a big, big wage bill and is the reason for our high wages rather than us paying individuals over the odds.

Look at our squad now, we basically have just 20 senior professionals on the books (not including Dickson & Mouataokil) which is bolstered by six loanees and some kids like Tuna, Clark and Stavrou.

BTW, in terms of wages, we know that Andy Reid left Charlton to triple his wages at Sunderland - where he is currently on 25K per week. That means we were paying him around 8K per week in the CCC, he may have been on more dough in the Premiership, which brings into focus how silly some of the figures bandied around on here actually are.

Our problem, ladies and gents, was that Mr. Pardew bought way, way too many players who did not work out leaving us with a massive squad and huge wage bill.

Maybe 3K per week seems too low to some, but did Murray not say at one of the public meetings that in League One the wage bill for the whole back four should be 10K per week?