Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cash-strapped Charlton set to sell off stars in January??? taken from tomorrow's Mirror

Comments

• Options
    Total rubbish...The directors put in £7m to keep us going until the end of the season. Why would they sell off the players and risk no promotion?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Ok I am going to ask something very controversial:

Would it be the end of the world if Shelvey was sold, it could potentially save the club and would allow us to keep other players and mean we could still maintain hopes of promotion! As much as I think Shelvey is an amazing player, imo we have other players that are more important to the team. I prepare to be shot!!!

no it wouldn't, is it the end of the world to sell anyone who can't get into the current first 11 ?
  • Options
    One has to wonder just who is behind this story....someone somewhere for some reason or another wants to make mischief....it's trying to fathom out who that is is really the burning question.
    I take this story very seriously indeed....not because I think it's true but for the exact opposite reason.
    I would like the club to come out swiftly and categoricly to deny this story, as in the long run it could possibly prove be somewhat damaging to us.
  • Options
    Agree SoundAs. A good question for RM on Thursday?
  • Options
    More likely very poor, lazy journalism than mischief making imho. Sounds like a space filler to me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]More likely very poor, lazy journalism than mischief making imho. Sounds like a space filler to me.

Could be Shooters...though there is still the question of why someone(even a lazy journo) wants to make quite so much mischief?
  • Options
    I see your point Soundas but I was trying to be positive ;0)
  • Options
    No idea if this is true or not but suspect that as other than Shelvey the three players mentioned are almost the least likely to raise a fee it is wrong on at least that count.

As said before the Sales of Randolph, Dickson and Moo2 would all seem more likely.

SHG and NSS were suggesting that Bailey was to be sold and NSS said that he'd heard it would be to Palace. As Palace are desperate to sell and have even employed an agent to flog their current players for them this again seems unlikely. Quite right that they post that on CL IMHO but as Ali said the mild rebuke that SHG got was not for posting something negative but due to it being out of place in the post match thread.

As for the wages I have no info on what the players are paid now. When I did, the figures given by fans and the press were 99% of the time way, way over what we were actually paying.

As ever I will wait until I see the news of the sales on the OS before I believe it or use this story to indulge in self-flagellation.
  • Options
    Could be a spammers fan journalist who wants to rush Gold into buying West Ham - by painting such a dire picture of Charlton they hope that this would make him think twice .....

Just a theory thats all - dont jump on me! ;-)
  • Options
    It is all true, found this on ebay:
    Welcome to the auction of Charlton Athletic goal machine Chris Dickson, originally signed by previous Charlton manager Alan Pardew ..... although that signature is fading so current boss Phil Parkinson has signed his other arm.

Includes boots.

Current bid: £0.99 (scally73)

Reserve: yes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: SilentAddick[/cite]Could be a spammers fan journalist who wants to rush Gold into buying West Ham - by painting such a dire picture of Charlton they hope that this would make him think twice .....

Just a theory thats all - dont jump on me! ;-)

Anything is possible mate so no one will 'jump on you'.....maybe the Gold/Sullivan mob themselves trying some early doors unsettlement of certain folk at both clubs....who knows...but it's nasty piece whoever wrote it....why?
  • Options
    FACT - virtually every single Charlton story which has appeared in the Mirror since 2007 has been an outright lie.

Is the sports ed there are a Palace or Millwall fan?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]FACT - virtually every single Charlton story which has appeared in the Mirror since 2007 has been an outright lie.

Is the sports ed there are a Palace or Millwall fan?

As a matter of interest NS...what's your take on this story?
  • Options
    Is the same Mirror that said last week that the Gills would be selling Simeon Williamson? Would that be the athlete Williamson?? Would rather buy the Currant Bun than that load of sh*t!

Sounds like one of Jordans mates is trying to deflect attention off of Palace to me!
  • Options
    As if Leon McKenzie was signed by us fairly recently on wages of 8k a week. Absolute piss poor article.
  • Options
    Read this last night.

Of everyone in our squad you would of thought they would have mentioned Bailey, Racon etc instead of McKenzie and Dailly.

Shelvey might go in January to raise funds and tbh I won't be too disheartened by that as I don't think he's as good as some think he is.
  • Options
    A load of Daily Mirror bullshite. Though the idea of getting rid of McLeod is not without it's merits. As for Gold and Sullivan- I don't want people to buy the club who would only want us as sloppy seconds (though I think that story too is bollocks) I would rather have the dedicated people we have now than them.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I tend to feel there is no smoke without fire, so there may be some truth to some of the report - let's hope not. I can see some sales going through particularly after Parky seeming to now acknowledge that our squad is imbalanced. McKenize and Shelvey could go to finance/address this (sodje coming in), although I think Daily is highly unlikely unless his wages are too high, offloading of surplus strikers is more likely tho, altho could prove tricky.
  • Options
    I think its a paper to fill thing. Just a couple of inches as a filler
  • Options
    'Though the idea of getting rid of McLeod is not without it's merits.'

Understatement of 2009.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think all sounds like bull, that sed it is probably likely we do sell Shelvey

Big Red, i think your talking like they are of course Shelvey is as good as ppl are saying hence why even chelsea are in for him and they are currently among the best in the world, our only problem is we cannot always accommodate him which is not his fault.

He is by far the most talented in our squad, creating and i hope we hold on to him as long as we can!
  • Options
    We have an established track record of losing crucial players in the January window so I wouldn't be at all surprised if this story is true.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Its nonsense. Murray would never let a position like this in the league slip as that would surely cost us more financially in the long term. Would Shelvey really be that much of a loss at the moment? We should consider getting rid of Mcleod, Dickson, Randolph, Fleetwood and Sinclair before we look to sell anyone else. Can't see Sulivan being able to get West Ham on the cheap either so he could well end up at Charlton.
  • Options
    Agree that there are players that we would not miss too much if they left, but I am not sure how many clubs would be clammering to sign them. Exeter might take Fleetwood but for a fee ? Dickson to Bristol Rovers would seem most likely. As for the other fringe players mentioned I think we are stuck with them. If thats the case and money needs to be found then it would only leave the sale of our better assets. Having said that I think the article is mostly rubbish but how or why it has cropped up as said by Soundas£ is a concern.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Total bollocks from start to finish.

We are not paying ANYONE 8K per week - anyone on that kind of money (Hudson, Ambrose) was moved on in the summer and I am sure that Christian Dailly and Leon McKenzie will be highly amused to find out that they are on 8K per week, they'll probably be ringing their bank to see where the other 6K per week is going.

Fecking hell, every club in the country outside the Premiership - and more than a few inside it - are on their uppers because of the crazy wages being paid to players and these guys think we gave Leon McKenzie an 8K per week deal in Division One???

Hilarious, but total bollocks.

I am not sure who our best paid player is but I seriously doubt that we have anyone earning more than 3K per week on the books right now.
    I wouldn't be so sure. I can't believe Semedo, Sam, Racon and Bailey, at the very least, are only on £3k a week or less. They must have been on at least double that in the Championship, and surely their wages don't suddenly go down that much to match the rest of the squad?

One last signed a contract when we were in the Prem (fair enough as a player for the future at the time), two more signed to play for the first team when we were looking to go straight back up to the Prem, and Bailey we signed the year after, but we were also going for promotion then.

McLeod is another that will be on decent wages. You don't sign players for £1m+ then pay them League One/Two wages when you're looking to get back to the Prem.

I can understand new signings being on £2-3k a week (though I'd think at least Richardson and Dailly are on more), but to say we have no one on more than £3k a week I don't think would be accurate at all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]We have an established track record of losing crucial players in the January window so I wouldn't be at all surprised if this story is true.

Perhaps but without going over it for the 100th time Parker, Murphy and Reid were all down to the player wanting to go as much, if not more than, as us wanting to sell.

Only with Reid was it in part a case of taking good money cos we needed it.

If one of the current players is desperate to go then it will be difficult to hold on to him. We couldn't keep Parker when we were 4th in the Prem so 2nd in League 1 is hardly going to convince people to stick around.

But mentioning Dailly and McKenzie just makes the story sound silly. And as for McLeod the only problem I can see for most fans in selling him would be the fight to be the one to drive him to his new club.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Read this last night.

Of everyone in our squad you would of thought they would have mentioned Bailey, Racon etc instead of McKenzie and Dailly.

I think they mention them because the armchair sky four fan wont have heard of Bailey and Racon, but will know McKenzie and Dailly. If you are going to make up a story then you have to give it a point of interest to most of your knuckle dragging "readers" or there is no point in the lie in the first place.

See this kind of thing all the time from all the tabloids, they love to suggest that their pet clubs might like to decemante some up and coming or over achieving smaller club's squad in the transfer window. I would like to find out one day what they get out of doing it, but as they are journalists you would never get an honest answer anyway...
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]FACT - virtually every single Charlton story which has appeared in the Mirror since 2007 has been an outright lie.

Is the sports ed there are a Palace or Millwall fan?[/quote]

As a matter of interest NS...what's your take on this story?[/quote]

I dismiss it completely. There is no way McKenzie or Dailly are on anywhere near the figures quoted and the £7m cash injection pumped in the board was specifically to make sure there would be no need to sell anyone in January.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    unless the 7m was designed to facilitate potential club purchase(s) which have now disappeared? But its all speculation, perhaps it will be cleared up by the club too in the near future? I shd have thought the Board would want to respond to such a negative report which could be seen to weaken the position of the club generally.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]unless the 7m was designed to facilitate potential club purchase(s) which have now disappered.

?????????????????