Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cash-strapped Charlton set to sell off stars in January??? taken from tomorrow's Mirror

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I shd have thought the Board would want to respond to such a negative report which could be seen to weaken the position of the club generally.

that would just give the journos another excuse to run the story when Charlton "deny" it.

People will only say "no smoke without fire so it must be true" again.

Anyway I heard a rumour that Richard Murray is doing a secret Q & A at the Valley on Thursday but I bet no one writes it up on here. Will be all hush hush and for the clique only as usual : - )
  • Options
    This "news" item just doesn't hold up, it is unlikely that Mackenzie and Dailey are high earners (in football terms) as they were both signed in recent cash strapped times. As for McLeod I think we all agree we would be happy at his departure. JJ is an interesting one as he loves to play and isn't at present but if the rumours about Bailey are true then he could fit back in. Parkey said that some would go and some arrive in January, I would expect Fleetwood & McLeod to do and for Sodge Jnr to be signed and maybe a defender as cover. As for JJ I'm sure that this is just the start of the rumours that we shall have to endure.

One last point could it be Sullivan & Gold planting the misinformation with the Mirror????
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]FACT - virtually every single Charlton story which has appeared in the Mirror since 2007 has been an outright lie.

Is the sports ed there are a Palace or Millwall fan?

As a matter of interest NS...what's your take on this story?

I dismiss it completely. There is no way McKenzie or Dailly are on anywhere near the figures quoted and the £7m cash injection pumped in the board was specifically to make sure there would be no need to sell anyone in January.

Thanmks NS....but I'm also interested(as I'm sure are others) to hear your take on WHY the story was written in the first place?
  • Options
    Indeed, but if I had something for sale and a report devaluing that came out in a high circulation rag, I would refute it, but that's me and I don't own Charlton.

:)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Sounds like one of Jordans mates is trying to deflect attention off of Palace to me!

What have you done to Upset Jordan Plaaayer? Anyway, she's off in some jungle somewhere isn't she so don't worry.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]FACT - virtually every single Charlton story which has appeared in the Mirror since 2007 has been an outright lie.

Is the sports ed there are a Palace or Millwall fan?

As a matter of interest NS...what's your take on this story?

I dismiss it completely. There is no way McKenzie or Dailly are on anywhere near the figures quoted and the £7m cash injection pumped in the board was specifically to make sure there would be no need to sell anyone in January.

Thanmks NS....but I'm also interested(as I'm sure are others) to hear your take on WHY the story was written in the first place?

Because the lazy twat journo couldn't be arsed to go and find a real story, so he just made one up Soundas. That is my opinion. I honestly believe that is the case.
  • Options
    No need to deny this publically - let the manager and the players know it's bullsh*t but if the rest of football thinks we're potless we can use that to our advantage in the transfer market. Much better to be thought of by others as being in a weaker position than you really are - better chance you'll be underestimated.

If anything, this might be a story being put out to try and drum up some interest for purchasers or a bit of PR from the Golds - perhaps they're in discussions and want to try and build support amoungst the fans by painting themselves as knights in shining armour.

More likely some Mirror journo had some spare inches to fill and has heard the Bailly rumour that was kicking around so has done a bit of creative writing at the weekend.
  • Options
    not good if we are looking to sell some players though
  • Options
    er, wouldn't we be more likely to get derisive offers if we do want to offload people, being desperate and all? Also if you were looking to buy the club you would be looking for a discount if it was up the financial creek? Can't see this as being positive at all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]er, wouldn't we be more likely to get derisive offers if we do want to offload people, being desperate and all? Also if you were looking to buy the club you would be looking for a discount if it was up the financial creek? Can't see this as being positive at all.

No agree not a positive but that is only if it is true wholly or in part.

But what you and others are now doing is speculating on something as if it is or could be true when really it reads like total fabrication.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    agree we are speculating on something that could be true, or not.
  • Options
    All depends if we are trying to sell though doesn't it? We've been told the £7M put in by the board secured our future for this season and meant we didn't need to sell.

Not saying which I believe and not saying this Mirror article is necessarily good news, but it could be spun to our advantage if the circumstances at the club suit.
  • Options
    I'm more interested in the 'making mischief' element of the article myself and as to why someone would write it......as I've already said, I think it's 90% bollox!
  • Options
    Funny how this has come out 5 days after the same paper where saying how Palace have to do exactly the same thing.

I think it's a case of "Are you reading David Gold?" from a West Ham connection who are getting concerned about their takeover bids.
  • Options
    The Mirror is run but that most evil of species that are Pixies.

They should never be trusted, even when they are right.

You have been warned.
  • Options
    OK, sloppy journalism regarding the names mentioned, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some of the higher paid players leave in January. I agree with Scoham, that there are some players still on a good whack:

Sam - must have a decent contract for an ex-prem player
    Semedo - was brought in as a great young prospect with potential international pedigree
    Moo2 - French U.21 captain who we beat Barcelona and Celtic for his signature
    McLeod - Pardew parachute money, say no more
    Sodje - Came from recently relegated side and had been on loan at Leeds. I think we all felt lucky to get him and wouldn't be surprised if the coffers were stretched

Aside from these, the way Bailey was talking in the summer it was as if he was doing us a favour to be staying and that he feels he should be playing CCC. Palace, although skint, could do a good bit of business with Ambrose who is on 11 goals this season. You could see him going to Wigan or somewhere for #2m which would give them funds to replace him with Bailey.

Shelvey will leave - not sure if it will be January though; more likely to be in the summer as nobody really 'needs' him, he would be a future prospect for Spurs or someone.

I'm not saying all these will go, but I bet a couple do.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]

So you've listed seven players and then say that they won't all go but you bet some will.

Stick your neck out why don't you : - 0

Lots of people were saying Shelvey and Bailey were bound to go last summer, 100% dead cert, LOCKED ON FACT, done deal.

Didn't happen did it?

When I see it on the OS................
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]

So you've listed seven players and then say that they won't all go but you bet some will.

Stick your neck out why don't you : - 0

Lots of people were saying Shelvey and Bailey were bound to go last summer, 100% dead cert, LOCKED ON FACT, done deal.

Didn't happen did it?

When I see it on the OS................

I only think a couple will go because the market won't be there for all of them. I do reckon however if firm offers came in for all 7, then it wouldn't surprise me if they all went.

Also, I was just listing players in the higher wage wage bracket.
  • Options
    Why would Nicky leave if we look good for promotion?
    So he wants to play in The CCC League....so why not with us for Christ's sake....if we were mid table or struggling I'd understand it but he's every chance of achieving just what he wants by staying with us.
    As for him going to Palace ...how the hell do you think Murray and Co would look if they let that happen....no way and why would Nicky want to go there anyway, how's that a step up the ladder?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    I can understand new signings being on £2-3k a week (though I'd think at least Richardson and Dailly are on more), but to say we have no one on more than £3k a week I don't think would be accurate at all.

I've been told by someone close to him that one of our 'fringe' player's on £3k a week so from that I think you can deduce from that that at least one or two others in the squad are still on very decent wages.

Article's still a crock though...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I purchased a copy of the Mirror today and the only player mentioned is Shelvey
  • Options
    Charlton notified several agents last week to move on big earners like Leon McKenzie, Izale McLeod and Christian Dailly, who pick up around £8,000-a-week

I think we'll try and move McLeod on who I presume is on decent wages - probably above £3k as he was he was signed for £1m plus. I don't see any point in getting rid of Dailly - whatever are paying him he's been worth it and the idea that we would move him on when he's been consistently excellent is too daft to waste bandwidth discussing.

Who would want McKenzie? Injury prone and he's not fully fit.

I'd say McLeod going is the only bit of truth in the article unless we are offered stupid money.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted by Soundasa£[/cite]Why would Nicky leave if we look good for promotion?
    Indeed, no way would we let our talented, goal-scoring, midfield captain leave in the middle of a promotion chasing season ;-)
  • Options
    Mckenzie-We should not seel him same with bailey should sell moo2 and Mcloud.
    Do we still have fortune on loan?
  • Options
    Charlton Athleitc -- Never easy is it
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: youtube addick[/cite]Mckenzie-We should not seel him same with bailey should sell moo2 and Mcloud.
    No, and it is rumoured he is now earning less at Sheff Utd than he would've if he'd accepted our contract.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: youtube addick[/cite]Mckenzie-We should not seel him same with bailey should sell moo2 and Mcloud.
    Fortunes not ours anymore!
  • Options

He's on a short-term contract at Sheff Utd, but I think he's yet to take any part in a league match.
  • Options
    The article in the Mirror is shown as a pdf file in quote 82 and it says
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ADDICKS PLAN BIG CLEAR-OUT
    Charlton are set for a huge January clear-out as their financial woes increase - with star Jonjo Shelvey certain to be sold. The Addicks face administration if a new owner can't be found, although David Sullivan and the Gold brothers are said to be interested. Starlet Shelvey (above) will be sold first to one of several top-flight suitors.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It appears in the Football Spy section - The Original Gossip Column Hottest News Every Day.

It does not have a name credited to the article.

Draw your own conclusions
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

He's on a short-term contract at Sheff Utd, but I think he's yet to take any part in a league match.

played away to Barnsley a couple of weeks ago