Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Millwall - Post match thoughts

Comments

• Options
    Omozusi did ok, made some mistakes, but so did the other defenders. Certainly no worse than Basey, but it seems because of his bad start, and the fact Basey came through the youth team, Omozusi has to do twice as much and work a lot harder to impress. He looked to run with the ball much like Youga does, which helps us push forward, something Basey doesn't really offer.

Dailly didn't play like he has done all season, looked slower than normal and made more mistakes.

Again it's games like this that mean I'm still not convinced by Wagstaff or Basey. Some good moments from both, but also other times they lacked that bit extra to their game.

Mooney was trying to do the right things but not quite getting it right. Unlucky to hit the post but at least we got a penalty straight after he did.

Akpo was a nuisance more than anything, some poor control and touches from him, but he's clearly powerful. Some rare bits of skill from his brother, kind of solid as usual but also looks to clear the ball rather than pass it out.

Anyway I think we'll be back to normal after this game. Got it out of the way, should have won, but played poorly for most of the game. Worked hard enough but didn't play enough football on the floor. We can defend much better as a team than we did, but at least we're kept going, worked hard and didn't lose. Might sound negative but there are always some matches in which we'll have a bad start, we kept going and got back into the game. Went ahead at 3-2, just never finished them off. Should have got a fourth but kept getting stuck in our own half. We know we can defend a lot better than that, just one of those games I think, nothing to panic about.
  • Options
    They were the better team. We looked good when we kept it on the floor but spent the majority of the game hoofing it from the back. Christian Daily had a mere and our defending was woeful. It was never a sending off either.

They must of had 4,000 or so in the Jimmy Seed end, after they scored their second 2 lads jumped in the away end from the West Stand. I'm surprised how quite they were. On the train to London Bridge the spanners next to me where talking about how one of their mates stabbed a bouncer, lovely!
  • Options
    if only burtons effort had gone in instead of hitting the post it was end off,had a feeling when it didnt it would come back to hit us in the arse
  • Options
    Very disappointed, and must have watch a different game to a few on here.

Had i been a neutral i would have said it was a great spectacle. But i'm not, so it wasn't.

Thought Millwall had the upper hand on us through the whole game, which given they played over half of it with ten men is something. They were stronger than us, they definately covered more ground than us, and at times outplayed us.

I really thought we were over this, but once one again players turn completely ineffective when we play the 'Mighty Millwall' (Sam, Wagstaff), while other solid performers just don't cut it (Dailly).

One point, but feels like a defeat. This club seems determined over the last few years to knock out any real kind of feelgood factor out of being a Charlton fan.

Very flat tonight.
  • Options
    well said afka,sam was shameful today ,also instead of underplaying this game by the club overplay it,maybe then we might see players fight and want it,i never thought we would win it,just hoped and once again was let down.
  • Options
    agree 100% what the fek did Parky,Breaker & Kins say to them before the game they should have been champing at the bit.
  • Options
    Like many have said, felt like a defeat - we were terrible today, looked like the whole team just werent interested which was very hard to take given what it obviously meant to the fans.Millwall were equally woeful, they really are a poor side. 4 of the softest goals ive seen us concede in a long time, we seemed to invite them back in in the 2nd half instead of killing them off which we had the power to do after bailey put us ahead. Sitting back was the worst possible idea but we went ahead and did it, and paid the price. I still cant really understand how they scored their 4th, it was painful to watch, shockingly bad defending.

As for their fans - laughably quiet, sang once at 2-0, then a quick 'no-one likes us' at the end. More interested in looking hard around the ground than actually supporting their team.
  • Options
    Its only a game,just another 2 points lost, move on and play Swindon.
  • Options
    no mate its a local derby its about pride.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Very disappointed, and must have watch a different game to a few on here.

Had i been a neutral i would have said it was a great spectacle. But i'm not, so it wasn't.

Thought Millwall had the upper hand on us through the whole game, which given they played over half of it with ten men is something. They were stronger than us, they definately covered more ground than us, and at times outplayed us.

I really thought we were over this, but once one again players turn completely ineffective when we play the 'Mighty Millwall' (Sam, Wagstaff), while other solid performers just don't cut it (Dailly).

One point, but feels like a defeat. This club seems determined over the last few years to knock out any real kind of feelgood factor out of being a Charlton fan.

Very flat tonight.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. The only upside is that I'm on the train to spend a night out on the "Toon" with 8 mates gawping at the local lass' wearing nothing more than belts and vests .... could be worse ....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well it could be worse, you could have agreed yonks ago to go to watch Narwich v 'Uddersfield on a business jolly only to find that it clashed with our first game against them since god was a boy! Sounds like it was a great game for the neutrals! Guys check out our record against Millwall over the years. Same old same old. When I heard walking out of Carrow Rd that we'd gone 4-3 ahead I never doubted that we would concede at the death! Glad the games over. On to the next.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]no mate its a local derby its about pride.[/quote]

Irony son, irony.
  • Options
    Thought defensively we were very poor. Basey had an absolute nightmare but got very little help from Waggy. Thought Omisuzi was our best defender by an absolute mile and showed some real touches of class. We were outfought in midfield, though, which was surprising. You have to say that we were on the backfoot for most of the game and were probably lucky to get the draw. So let's just take the point and move on to the next game.
  • Options
    sorry falconwood just worked that out
  • Options
    I thought both Martin and Morison would be good additions to our squad ..... Their keeper was truly shocking
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    i couldn't get over how quiet their fans were bearing in mind that it only takes about 30 people in the jimmy seed stand to create an atmosphere there.possibly the worst away support i have seen in there given that they filled it and with a few extras (i wonder how they got in?),very sporadic little bits but overall truly rubbish support.i was very disappointed by them.
  • Options
    This local derby only seems to matter to the older guys, of which I am one. People now days seem to be more focused on Palarse?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kevtherev[/cite]This local derby only seems to matter to the older guys, of which I am one. People now days seem to be more focused on Palarse?

But to be fair, Kev ........ the youngsters have never known what it was actually like to play Millwall.
    They've only ever known Palarse games.
  • Options
    Does anybody agree that at 2-2 we were winning and lost the game at 4-4?
    This is the reason we can hate charlton more than anyone else, at times
  • Options
    Millwall means more than Palace by far.... hey lets move onto this and look forward to our visit to the den....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]i couldn't get over how quiet their fans were bearing in mind that it only takes about 30 people in the jimmy seed stand to create an atmosphere there.possibly the worst away support i have seen in there given that they filled it and with a few extras (i wonder how they got in?),very sporadic little bits but overall truly rubbish support.i was very disappointed by them.

With you on that, thought their "support" was pathetic given the numbers in that end. Hardly any noise at all.

Seen us wilt so many times in the past against this lot that our performance didn't surprise me at all. Too many of our guys hid. Sam was missing in action, as was Wagstaff - no idea what he was doing for the first goal.

The one that surprised me was Christian Dailly. I'm sure we would all agree he has been immense for us this season and has hardly put a foot wrong. He was all over the shop today, couldn't believe who nervous he looked. Both full backs struggled - Basey more than Omo.

Also thought Elliot looked very very nervy and that seemed to rub off on the defenders infront of him.

Hope Mooney isn't too bad and begining to wonder if Akpo is quite as good as we though he was.

Thought Leon looked sharpe when he came on. Shame he was stuck on the left. Hope he can stay fit.

Very impressed with Morison, led the line well. Not convinced by Martin. Goalkeeper Forde was dire.

Burton & Bailey probably the only two who put in a shift for us today.
  • Options
    haven't felt as much ups and downs in a match for a long time, one heck of a game had everything except the right result we should have tied it up when it was 3-2 but the drama of the local derby took over and the critics got the score draw they wanted whilst we slip further behind leeds :(
  • Options
    Now, who can say they hate palace more?
  • Options
    Morison.

Can't even spell his name right.
  • Options
    I thought Basey and Wagstaff were hopeless.

I know he's scored a couple of good goals this season, but for me, Wagstaff isn't good enough and I'd prefer Racon back in the side. With Basey, we have nobody else to play but as soon as Youga is fit he can come straight back in.

Only player to get credit today is Burton for mental strength.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Morts-Genius[/cite]Now, who can say they hate palace more?

I can.

Its a weird one for me. I dislike Millwall and the majority of the idiots who follow them, but I can't say I hate them. Today didn't have the edge of recent Palace games. Maybe it was the weather (freezing cold) but I never really felt that our crowd gave out abuse like they do when we play Palace.

The last two Palace home games have been played in a real cauldron of noise and I've felt genuine hatred coming from our fans.
  • Options
    sorry, but just not into this Millwall/Palace "hate" thing..........just didn't want to lose to local rivals who have a bad element that follow them.

A point is a point and would have taken it at 0-2.......never convinced at 3-2 or 4-3 that we would hold on and we were outplayed for 60 mins by 10 men. Their front 2 run us ragged all game and Morrison showed what a non-league player can bring to this division - may not have finese but gave Dailly the run around and knows when to hold the ball up and how to finish.

I thought Sam hid for parts of the game after his booking and can only credit him for the cross that led to our 3rd goal - Basey has a great left foot and last year rated him over Youga - now can't wait for Youga to get fit and maybe basey has a role in midfield but too slow for left back.

Burton put in a good shift and never stopped running - shame he couldn't have just finished off he move that would have give him a hat-trick and put us 4-2 up as that would have kiiled them off.....no blame on him though, just one of those things.

Glad its over and can concentrate on Boxing day's visit of Swindon.
  • Options
    Like others,just got in.But............
    Pissed Off.
    Simple things like when the spanners had a corner why leave only 1 up........leave 2 or 3 and they will leave 3 or 4 back....
    Yep, it was a dodgy ref, sent off a spanner so why start the 2nd half with Lloyd...he'd his "final" warning so he was frightened to go near anyone let alone tackle.....
    Just glad that all the "worrying" beforehand was,by the way,not as bad as we expected.
  • Options
    I'll echo Nothstandsteve.
    Millwall surprised me by attacking us, a bit like the Southend game.
    Plus, their fans gave tremendous support.
    We should have passed them to death but instead did the old welly upfield. If I want to see hoof ball I'll go to palace.
    I am convinced Burton's effort crossed the line...we'll see. Plus Sodge could have had a penalty but it would have caused a riot if the ref had given us a third penalty.
    Having said that, the Millwall fans on the train back looked just like our lot. Didn't see any signs of little children being eaten alive.
    Great open game. One for daily to forget.