Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Millwall - Post match thoughts

Comments

• Options
    Biased report from MFC official site, apparently neither penalties were genuine.

2 other interesting points :- Bailey's effort was a foot over the line & the ref was the beach ball ref .

Danny Schofield struck a dramatic injury-time equaliser to ensure south London bragging rights were shared following a humdinger of a derby clash at The Valley.
    Steve Morison's brace after 12 and 24 minutes had put The Lions into a commanding 2-0 lead against a Charlton side unbeaten at home this season.
    But referee Mike Jones - he of the infamous 'beachball' incident at Sunderland - handed Charlton a lifeline with not one, but two highly contentious penalties clinically converted by Deon Burton, the second of which also saw Lions midfielder Jimmy Abdou red-carded when he appeared to air-kick the ball rather than make any contact at all.
    A spectacular strike from Nicky Bailey gave Charlton a 3-2 lead seconds after the break only for Dave Martin to thump home a 78th-minute equaliser.
    Morison then deflected the ball into his own net to hand the home side what looked like being the winner with just six minutes left.
    But in a fitting climax to an absorbing game, sub Schofield kept his cool to produce a fine angled finish injury-time to spark wild celebrations amongst the 3,000 Lions fans in the Jimmy Seed stand.
    This was never going to be a game for the faint-hearted, especially taking into account the arctic weather conditions.
    It was a credit to both teams that they kept their heads in the midst of some truly perplexing officiating that threatend to reduce this match to a frustrating stop-start affair, with the slightest of challenge resulting in the whistle being blown.
    Millwall adapted to the ice cold conditions quickly and did their best to warm the visiting fans by roaring into a 2-0 lead.
    Morison grabbed his first ever goal away from The Den after 12 minutes, capitalising on hesitancy in the home rearguard to slip inbetween two defenders and calmly steer the ball past Rob Elliot for the opener.
    Twelve minutes later The Lions had doubled their advantage. Marc Laird's corner was headed on by Alan Dunne to Andy Frampton, his shot cannoned off the crossbar and there was Morison to sweep home his - and Millwall's second of the game.
    Charlton had shown little of a threat up front, and when Frampton slid the ball away from David Mooney after 30 minutes, the Charlton player collapsed in a heap in the penalty area.
    To Frampton's disbelief referee Jones remained adamant that contact had been made with the player and although no yellow card was brandished to the Lions man, an unexpected lifeline had been handed to Charlton. Thankyou very much said Burton, who scooped the resulting spot-kick high into the roof of the net to reduce the arrears.
    If that penalty decision was soft, the second awarded just eight minutes later was laughable - except for such an important decision to be so horribly wrong was not funny at all.
    The ball had pinged around in the danger zone and when Abdou and keeper David Forde seemed to have averted the danger, Lloyd Sam hit the deck. Referee Jones reached for his pocket, one presumed to book the Charlton striker for diving, but to Millwall's horror he showed a straight red card to Abdou who trudged off the field head bowed and in visible distress.
    To add insult to injury, Burton stepped up and drilled home his second spot kick of the game to haul Charlton back on level terms.
    At the other end appeals following a blatant handball by Jose Semedo from Martin's corner fell on deaf ears as Millwall's 10 men re-grouped and battled on gamely.
    But with the second half barely 60 seconds old, Martin and Smith got their wires crossed enabling Sam time and space on the right flank to set-up Bailey, who hit a stunning 25-yard volley that left Forde grasping a thin air.
    Charlton were denied a fourth goal soon after when Burton's close range effort clearly crossed at least a foot over the line, yet this time luck was with The Lions as the officials somehow managed to miss this and waved play on.
    Spurred on by this piece of goood fortune, back came Millwall and Kenny Jackett's side twice went close; Martin sent a header from Laird's 53rd-minute freekick narrowly over and then dragged an effort wide shortly after following great work by Lewis Grabban and Morison.
    Jackett brought on Tony Craig and Schofield with 20 minutes remaining and following a sustained period of Millwall pressure, Martin it third time lucky, lashing the ball home to make it 3-3.
    No sooner than getting back on level terms, The Lions found themselves trailing when a Charlton corner hit Morison on the side of the head and went in off the post.
    That should have been that for second-placed Charlton, but they didn't count on the incredible resilience and determination of this Millwall outfit.
    Ali Fuseini, who worked tirelessly in midfield, was unable to get a clean strike on the ball in the 90th-minute, firing wide after Dunne had created a decent opening.
    There was to be no stopping these hungry Lions though, and it was sub Schofield who provided the perfect finish from an acute angle to grab a late, late leveller to stun Charlton and send Lions bench and fans wild.
    There was even time for Millwall to carve out an opportunity for a fifth, match-winning goal, but Schofield's rising effort flew over the bar with virtually the last kick of a pulsating clash.
  • Options
    Left yesterday feeling like a loss - but it was a point - and some of the comments on here are total over reaction. Even tough we played badly we should still have won it. The Sodje penalty incident looked cast iron to me and that would have won us the game - but the ref was truly awful and in the second half was definately buckling to millwals's constant presuuring him. How the guy didnt walk fot the first penalty I don't know. Bad performance but we still got a point - and we are still second - if that's where we finish i dont care how many scrathcy performances we have
  • Options
    The first penalty? I'm not so sure. I don't think Frampton got near the ball, but at the same time he barely touched Mooney. But he made the most of it. I'd expect my striker to do the same in that position. I've even heard Charlton fans saying that the first one was probably a bit harsh. You'd have been gutted if it had been given at the other end. The second - I don't think Abdou had to make the tackle because we had a player and the keeper on the line. Again, i'd be spitting if we hadn't got a penalty and a sending off if it happened down the other end. But a penalty AND a sending off? Harsh i think. Beyond that, i though the ref gave us nothing all game. Absolutely abysmal. Missed two handballs in your area, and countless others all around the pitch. Then again, i suppose he was consistenly bad with both teams.

I think we were the better team, even with 10 men. Though for the first 25 minutes, i thought it was going to get embarrassing for you. Could've been 3-0 if it weren't for Morisons air-shot 6 yards out. Ali Fuseini had the measure of Nicky Bailey, who was your best player by a mile (....f**king cracking goal though!). Charlton had their best spell from half time up until we equalised at 3-3, then we were on top again. F**k knows what happened for the own goal because i had a bloody great big steel post in the way.

Dunno whether i'm happy to have got a point, or pi$$ed off that we conspired to balls it up when we were 2-0 up. Still, a point away is good enough for me. Don't think we played well (seen us play miles better against Leeds and Southampton) - just showed a lot more balls than Charlton did. When you went to 3-2, i thought that was curtains, and was expecting 4/5-2. The quality of football was shocking, and i dont think we'll be seeing any Charlton or Millwall defenders in the L1 team of the week.

Til next time!

PS - Do something about those pink seats, for f**k sake!
  • Options
    They desrved a point. that was the worst i have seen our defence play in years, and thats saying something! truely awful. Dont think it was them playing well we just didnt look confident at all.Even when they had 10 we didnt hold the ball and make em work for it.

South stand full but weird that the noise volume was lower than when its been half empty ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]To Frampton's disbelief referee Jones remained adamant that contact had been made with the player and although no yellow card was brandished to the Lions man, an unexpected lifeline had been handed to Charlton. Thankyou very much said Burton, who scooped the resulting spot-kick high into the roof of the net to reduce the arrears.
    If that penalty decision was soft, the second awarded just eight minutes later was laughable - except for such an important decision to be so horribly wrong was not funny at all.
    The ball had pinged around in the danger zone and when Abdou and keeper David Forde seemed to have averted the danger, Lloyd Sam hit the deck. Referee Jones reached for his pocket, one presumed to book the Charlton striker for diving, but to Millwall's horror he showed a straight red card to Abdou who trudged off the field head bowed and in visible distress.
    To add insult to injury, Burton stepped up and drilled home his second spot kick of the game to haul Charlton back on level terms.
    At the other end appeals following a blatant handball by Jose Semedo from Martin's corner fell on deaf ears as Millwall's 10 men re-grouped and battled on gamely.

The prejudiced and totally imaginitive reporting on the Millwall OS is outstandong. Any bias on our own OS can't compete for once, lol
  • Options
    Good point though - Surely Framptons so-called 'offence' was more deserving of a red? If the ref was so sure it was a penalty, why was Frampton not even booked?

In the first two minute of the game, Agent Dailly near enough caught the ball about 10 yards outside your box, but the ref ignored it. So it was hardly suprising to see the ref AND linesman bottle it when Semedo handled it on the byline. Outrageous stuff. I thought the ref made a rod for his own back. Everytime he gave a sh*te decision one way, he tried to balance it out with an equally terrible decision the other way.

As for crowd noise, if 3,000 Millwall only sounded like 1,500, then 16,000 Charlton only sounded like 2,000. Take away the mob in the north upper, and your vocal support is fairly pitiful to be honest.
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Groucho78MFC[/cite]

As for crowd noise, if 3,000 Millwall only sounded like 1,500, then 16,000 Charlton only sounded like 2,000. Take away the mob in the north upper, and your vocal support is fairly pitiful to be honest.

Tue, but something we already know.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Groucho78MFC[/cite]

Tue, but something we already know.

good luck to you,your cup final and congrats on getting a point.you must be well chuffed and i'm pleased for you.but the reality is that you just weren't as loud as others that have taken less to us.
  • Options
    yes lets pretend it means nothing to us.
  • Options
    best i think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thank you
  • Options
    well thats ok.
  • Options
    ok
  • Options
    ok
    (what was the question ?)
  • Options
    Groucho, stop giving it the big one about the ground ffs. You lot have knocking around the lower leagues for years now and are used to standing in uncovered terraces and the like so I don't why you're getting all snobby about the Valley. I've been to most of our away games this season and the South stand is paradise in comparison.

Also, if you and your mates don't like the view, don't bother coming next time.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    'we're coming to a BIG CLUB like CHARLTON with it's recent history and tradition' kenny jackett's words ......
    he knows it was such a big game for them and an honour for a small club like millwall to be playing a giant of the game
  • Options
    The first 20 minutes was a typical Charlton display against Millwall, we let them over run us and did not look up for the fight. At that point I would have easily taken the point .

Overall we were poor yesterday with very few players who could come out of it and say they were all right.

Still only 2 defeats this season and did not lose to that lot despite not playing well.
  • Options
    both certain pena's my mate in the millwall end mentioned it and my point was ur down the other end and lucky not to get the first one sent off

dodgy ref for both, didnt allow the game to flow which helped them

finally i am pleased with the point now, as they were by far the best team on the day even with 10. our defence was shocking, basey and waggy had a particular stinker!

Bailey's goal was a cracker, at that point text my mate in the jimmy seed ' Pick that out!! x' lol

still only lost twice this season so on track, shame leeds were jammy again and win one nil
  • Options
    I do think there is something spooky that goes on with the old acoustics.

Groucho, i'm not one to dick about, i'll be perfectly honest with you. Millwall weren't as loud on Saturday than quite a few other clubs that fill that end. Whether it can be something stupid as whatevet direction the wind is blowing, i don't know. But that is the truth.

As for the home atmosphere, we've got a real issue in the fact we put the most vocal area 50ft high at the furthest point away. I sat on the corner of the North Uppper in the 1st half and thought the atmosphere was "ok", 2nd half i went and stood a few rows in front of the drum and it was absolutely rocking. You could not get more going, yet for some eason it just does not carry.

I really think we need to think long and hard about getting our most vocal area closer to the pitch.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

I really think we need to think long and hard about getting our most vocal area closer to the pitch.

You're right AFKA. I sit level with the North stand penalty area line, and I'm afraid whoever is in the JS sound louder.Even 150 Walsall. And, that's often how it comes over on TV too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember when they desinged the Upper north and said they was making it so the noise wouldnt be lost.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE9[/cite]I remember when they desinged the Upper north and said they was making it so the noise wouldnt be lost.

They lied ;-)
  • Options
    Bastards lol
  • Options
    I think Millwall have done us a huge favour. We seemed to have stopped pinging the ball around in the last month or two and the bite in the middle has gone, resuts have gone our way but we've rode our luck. If the run around we suffered yesterday doesn't wake up Parky and several key 1st teamers we don't deserve to go up anyway.
  • Options
    I thought it was one of the worst 4-4's ive ever seen. Sounds like a stupid thing to say but there was no quality out there whatsoever, apart from one bit of magic from Bailey.

Why wasnt Sodje marking Morrison? Sodje can jump higher than anyone ive seen and yet Parky has obviously told Daily to mark their target man.

Why was we outplayed by 10 men? they attempted to get the ball down and play at times, we didnt do it enough.

Why did it take for us to go 2-0 down before we started playing? absolutely no arsehole from our players in the first 20.

Can we get Youga back quicker?! thought Basey was crap today. His positioning and pace are embarrasing and unfortunately it cost us two points. I know he hasnt played badly since he has come in but saturday was a shocker and he does have to take some blame.

Still, we didnt lose but at 4-3 up against 10 men we should have sealed the win. Whats done is done, but i just hope PP realises his and the players errors and we can get a convincing win on Boxing Day.
  • Options
    Didn't realise how full the North Stand was, 1 min 35secs.
  • Options
    That really was a terrific goal from bailey.
  • Options
    I can't get over how bad our defending was. Gets worse everytime you watch it.
  • Options
    I thought their 3rd goal had some nice build up play to it to be fair.