Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Millwall - Post match thoughts

Comments

• Options
    Carlsberg don't script football matches. But if they did....
  • Options
    ........they would have given us an injury time winner !!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Well, personally I enjoyed it. The quality of the football wasn't the best, but it was a true local derby rollercoaster of a game. Half an hour in, I was put in mind of the match in Lennie's promotion season at Selhurst, where we were 3-0 down inside 20mins, and pulled it back to 3-3 (inspiring Kevin Nolan's "Lennie in the psychiatrist's chair" match report). And when the final equaliser went in, I recalled the evening game at the Old Den a few years later, where we went 2-0 up on the 86th minute and STILL ended up drawing 2-2. Today was one of those games that will stick in the memory.

It's a shame we lost ground on Leeds and allowed Norwich to draw a bit closer, but we've still got half the season to go, so it's hardly the end of the world.
  • Options
    I didn't think the ball had crossed the line. Could be wrong but didn't feel hard done by there.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Just wasted 15 minutes reading this thread before realising we all have opinions and none of them matter (most of them are wrong factually).

Well done Millwall. A good performance for them with 10 men. Can't remember the last time we played like that away.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Just wasted 15 minutes reading this thread before realising we all have opinions and none of them matter (most of them are wrong factually).

Well done Millwall. A good performance for them with 10 men. Can't remember the last time we played like that away.

Leeds?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Just wasted 15 minutes reading this thread before realising we all have opinions and none of them matter (most of them are wrong factually).

Leeds?

Nowhere near.
  • Options
    Maybe Liverpool in the 3 all, or Villa in the 4-3.
  • Options
    I'm absolutely gutted, no one in a charlton shirt put there foot on the game, but equally other than a couple of pure moments of stupidity, which seemed to also result in a goal conceeded no one played that badly, just no one had the real desire to close the game out put there foot in and control the field. But I should be happy after coming back from 2-0 down and really should have put the game to bed and got a fourth when we were leadin 3-2. Still a typical derby a baily wonder strike 2 pens a red card and a good bit of banter, was disappointed in there fans aswell really thought they'd be louder, reckon we'll be louder than that at new den
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: scruffle[/cite]was disappointed in there fans aswell really thought they'd be louder, reckon we'll be louder than that at new den

I assume you sit in the North stand Scruff? As a a halfway liner, I could hear them very clearly; unlike the Covered End I'm afraid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We were lucky to come away with a point.

Only two players (in my opinion) come ot of that game today with any credit. Samedo and A Sodje. Why is A Sodje not starting every game? And, why has Shelvy dropped so far down the pecking order? Spring is better than Shelvy?

And we need a new goal keeper!
  • Options
    Very disappointed with a few of the lads today, think poor Waggy got overawed, Basey and Dailly got shown for pace big time and although I rate Robbie I'm not really that happy about having two goals hit across him from narrowish angles.

I said before the game to a mate Lloyd Sam was key today. One of the best wingers in this division on his day, will he have it mentally today. Think we know the answer to that now. Should've come off long before he did.

Credit to Millwall, they wanted it and went for it in a way I can only dream of Charlton imposing themselves on someone more capable as Millwall did today. Fully Expect us to bottle it down there as well. Parky should really have given them a teacup throwing session after the game. Local derby or not if you have ambitions of getting out of this division (or any) automatically you cannot afford to not beat inferior teams at home, especially inferior teams you lead twice against playing 10 men for half the game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]Only two players (in my opinion) come ot of that game today with any credit. Samedo and A Sodje. Why is A Sodje not starting every game? And, why has Shelvy dropped so far down the pecking order? Spring is better than Shelvy?

As for Akpo, I like him a lot, but don't know if we were watching the same game (one of the beauties of football). If he keeps his head and takes it on himself, or sprays it to Burton with some confidence, that 2 on 1 we had with not long left was the winner and Goodnight Vienna. HUGE CHANCE bottled IMO.

Spring came on as a "wise head" and defensive substitution, nothing to do with ability in my view.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]And we need a new goal keeper!

Come on mate.. Has one of our best players this season suddenly become rubbish after one game?
  • Options
    Agree with Ash Tray. From my West stand seat Millwall made loads of noise. Covered end were quiet until we started scoring goals.
  • Options
    Come on, you'd think we got battered 3-0, which it looked like might happen after 20 minutes. We fought back to be leading 3-2, something we've never come close to a game against them. Bailey's goal was top drawer. Our defence were put under a lot of pressure today but that's what you expect in frantic derby matches. Their keeper was pish and we forced an own goal for the fourth. I can't believe Basey's getting slated on here. He got done for the fourth goal but he got stuck in from the off and if we'd had his level of fight from everyone we would have got the win. I thought Sam Sodje was strong although Dailly had a torrid time against Morison. Bailey and Semedo had a struggle on their hands but we took the game to Millwall for 20 minutes in the second -half when we shut their fans up. Anyone who thinks their fans were quiet, wasn't sitting in the East. I'm close to the halfway line and they were louder than us but they have larger mouths and deeper, stone age voices. We remain unbeaten at home. We are four points clear of third with a string of very winnable games approaching. Be realistic for a minute and focus on the positives, you never know, it might just make all the difference.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I thought their no. 22 was the key to their centralmidfield strength, he anchored himself in the centre of the park, apart from a couple of foray's, mopped all the loose balls up and distributed well, where as we were all over the place.
  • Options
    A good game to watch if only becasue the defending was so piss poor you knew there was always a chance of more goals.

Thought we were very poor second half and millwall were good value for a point. When we got the third so early we should have gone on to get 4-5 but we showed no interest in killing off the game and were quite happy to sit back and let them play.
  • Options
    Lloyd Sam was anonymous.
  • Options
    SoundAsa£

# 80
    Lloyd Sam was anonymous

Couldn't have been - the ref knew his name, in fact he wrote it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just watched the highlights again on BBC iplayer - sober this time.

A few things.

How on earth did their fella not even get booked for the first pen?

Have a look at the fella on the line when Sam gets brought down. He's actually gesticulating as though Sam has taken a dive - amazing!

Waggy is certainly no defender!

Disappointed they never showed the chance from when we were 3-2. From where I was sitting - Upper West towards the JSS end, so a decent view of it - it looked over the line to me.
  • Options
    the difference between the 2 sides was they had 10 men.
    too many of ours need to grow a pair for these games.
  • Options
    Thought Millwall can count themselves unlucky not to have taken all of the points. Very disapointed with the performances of a lot of the lads, nobody had the courage to get the ball down and play football which is the only way to play against ten men.

Overall the game wasn't as free flowing and end to end as you'd think if you looked at the scoreline. There were long periods of battling and then suddenly you'd get a goal out of the blue, mainly due to some piss poor defending from both teams.

Atmosphere was ok from us in bursts and good from them when they were leading/equalising, although not as loud as I've heard some others who've packed the South Stand.
  • Options
    I have been to every Charlton - Millwall match since 1985 and with two exceptions they always seem more up for it than us so nothing surprised me about this game.

The back four and Dailly and Basey in particular were shocking.

Waggys chance at 3-2 was a turning point, they might have crumbled.

Atmosphere was flat in my opinion, poor start didnt help but I thought it would be better than it was, Boro in the cup was in a different league.

Hey ho, im glad its out of the way, was always looking forward to the away game more.
  • Options
    Millwall embarassed Charlton in terms of commitment and for that there is no excuse. Midfield needed the addition of Spring much earlier as I felt that playing both Wagstaff and Sam was a luxury in this type of match. Basey was truly awful. Point each but a moral victory to Millwall I think.
  • Options
    On Lloyd Sam - didn't have a good game, but wasn't terrible, we didn't get the ball to him often enough. Too often we were deep in our own half, Sodje clearing it, Basey looking for the long ball, players further forward chasing or challenging for headers. Sam and Wagstaff need the ball given to them, the team passing the ball around, and some space to attack. They won't get that if we're just looking to clear the ball or hitting long balls up to Burton.

We've passed the ball around much better than that for most of the season. Sam and Wagstaff are playing out wide, and the ball is going straight down the middle, they aren't completely to blame for not getting involved.
  • Options
    the standard of footy defending in particular was awful , burtons first penalty and bailey's strike the two bits of quality out there.....
    basey , wagstaff and elliot great committment, nice blokes and all that but not good enough imo if we are to get promoted
    a draw is as good as win against them carnts so pleased with a point
  • Options
    Personally, i thought it was an even contest which obviously gives credit to the scum as they had ten men for the majority.

Have to question parkys decision on our left hand side, wagstaff and basey were never going to cope with the occasion or the physical element the game was going encounter. I would definately have started racon on the left he played well there at leeds and i think he would have been more composed than wagstaff yesterday.

Thought their fans were very quiet also considering they took 3000+

cant believe Bailey hasnt been praised more. He defended almost every millwall corner, made a few brilliant tackles in the middle and scored an absolute peach. My MOM
  • Options
    Good game to watch

elliott should be v unhappy for last 2 goals. He's a big unit and at that angle he shouldn't be troubled

waggy and Sam should have gone off earlier - too lightweight for this game

sam sodge and omozusi were good, dailly and basey gad bad days

bailey and semedo were good but wingers far too weak

burton good but not so for mooney

basically too many being carried

fair play to millwall - they love the seige mentality and played up!

Onwards and upwards - 2 defeats in 30 league games
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Cafc #1[/cite]Personally, i thought it was an even contest which obviously gives credit to the scum as they had ten men for the majority.

Have to question parkys decision on our left hand side, wagstaff and basey were never going to cope with the occasion or the physical element the game was going encounter. I would definately have started racon on the left he played well there at leeds and i think he would have been more composed than wagstaff yesterday.

Thought their fans were very quiet also considering they took 3000+

cant believe Bailey hasnt been praised more. He defended almost every millwall corner, made a few brilliant tackles in the middle and scored an absolute peach. My MOM[/quote]

I think Parkie was looking for a different response from Waggy and Basey as "our own". Unfortunately they failed to step up to the plate.