Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

shelvey

Comments

• Options
    Not sure Shelvey achieved much in his cameo yesterday. He might have done more with that freekick than Bailey did though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]then Srping needs to take his turn on the bench as he just dosen't create enough
    Did you see Llera' goal against Swindon?
  • Options
    I genuinly thought Uncle had got it wrong when he said Jonjo would not play, maybe mind games from Parky or something so was stunned when I got to the ground and saw he was on the bench! How Spring gets in the team ahead of either Shelvey or Racon is totally beyond me and the same for Wagstaff.
  • Options
    Spring is a good solid pro, got no problems with him and he's worthy of a place in the squad.

Racon is one of our most talented and technically gifted players and it will be a genuine shame to see him go. He could have been quality for us this season and the next, even if back in the Championship. I just hope we get good money.

Jonjo is potentially world class and needs to be nurtured properly, which does mean resting where appropriate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]I genuinly thought Uncle had got it wrong when he said Jonjo would not play, maybe mind games from Parky or something so was stunned when I got to the ground and saw he was on the bench! How Spring gets in the team ahead of either Shelvey or Racon is totally beyond me and the same for Wagstaff.
    Spring is our best replacement for Semedo. Different type of player, but happy to sit back. Wouldn't have him as the attacking midfielder though. Wagstaff I agree I don't think he's ready to be a regular yet.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite] How Spring gets in the team ahead of either Shelvey or Racon is totally beyond me and the same for Wagstaff.

It's not about just picking your best 11 players with the greatest ability.

Put yourself inside Parky's head ........ he's got to pick the best team unit, not just the best 11 players.
    So he picks a player to do a specific job and who can compliment and balance the total effectiveness of the team unit.

Semedo drops back into centre defence, so Parky needs to pick a player who will have the ability to read the game and the self-discipline to hold that crucial position - Spring is the most suitable player to replace Semedo.

On the right, Sam was back - good outlet to receive and hold the ball from defence, draws players to him thus creating space for a breakaway, tricky and can beat a man, and nippy enough when needed.

Likewise, you can see why Parky picked Waggy ....... we've no pace on the left side without him.Waggy's strength is pace on the break - dink a ball over the top or splitting a square defence on the floor, and Waggy's on to it like a greyhound and not too shabby in front of goal.

It stretches defences, relieves pressure on our own back line. But then he has to get a service to be effective. If he doesn't get that he still grafts hard chasing and closing down, but is going to be anonymous creatively. It's about playing to his strengths.

At Brentford he saw very little of the ball, as much of our play was coming down our right side.
    So we saw very little of Waggy.

Having said all that, personally I agree with many others here - at the moment Waggy is best used as an impact sub to scare tiring defenders witless.
  • Options
    spring was shite yesterday FACT
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite] If Semedo moves back into the midfield, then Srping needs to take his turn on the bench as he just dosen't create enough

and the sum total of Semedo's assists this season is?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]If Semedo moves back into the midfield, then Srping needs to take his turn on the bench as he just dosen't create enough

Semedo is not about assists - he's our breaker-upper and he's bloody good at it too!
    He's also a useful centre half when needed!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]If Semedo moves back into the midfield, then Srping needs to take his turn on the bench as he just dosen't create enough

Semedo is not about assists - he's our breaker-upper and he's bloody good at it too!
    He's also a useful centre half when needed!

The comparison being made was between Semedo and Spring. Both holding midfielders and Mike chose to single out Spring for not creating. My point was, Spring actually creates more than Semedo so his point was somewhat lost.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]Not sure Shelvey achieved much in his cameo yesterday. He might have done more with that freekick than Bailey did though.

You could see he was desperate to take that. Llera had quite a long chat with him whilst Jonjo kept looking over to the bench to see if he would get the nod.

IMHO I would have thought the fresher legs would be the better bet.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]then Srping needs to take his turn on the bench as he just dosen't create enough[/quote]
    Did you see Llera' goal against Swindon?[/quote]

Yeah but you clearly didn;t given it was Basey who set it up
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]then Srping needs to take his turn on the bench as he just dosen't create enough
    Did you see Llera' goal against Swindon?

Yeah but you clearly didn;t given it was Basey who set it up

Spring, according to the BBC cameras.

They could be wrong of course ........
  • Options
    Spring definitely set up Llera's goal, a great ball under pressure from the centre circle
  • Options
    Bbc says Basey in its writing hmmm i dont remember the pass all that well, just the finish :P

Semedo brings far more to the team than Spring either way.
  • Options
    I appreciate you have to pick the best 11 which is not always the best technical players but I would have had a midfield of Sam (RW), Jonjo and Bailey (middle) and Waggy (LW) to start...having seen how rubbish we were I would then have bought off one of the front players and put on Racon and gone 4-5-1 personally. Would have hopefully won us the midfield battle and Jonjo could have played off the striker as he did at the start of the season.

No matter, Spring, at 30 has hardly played all season and played the full 90mins in a team with 9 players just 2 days earlier. He should not have started IMO.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]I appreciate you have to pick the best 11 which is not always the best technical players but I would have had a midfield of Sam (RW), Jonjo and Bailey (middle) and Waggy (LW) to start..

No matter, Spring, at 30 has hardly played all season and played the full 90mins in a team with 9 players just 2 days earlier. He should not have started IMO.

By losing Semedo from the midfield gatekeeper position in front of the defence ...... meant you had to have a disciplined replacement player who could be relied on to hold the position - the shape of the team unit depends on it. Parky would know that Jonjo tends to wander and anyway is best as a creative player, or alternatively to keep Bailey held back in that vital DM position deprives the team of it's main driving force.

Spring is by far the most suitable replacement - and has played that role well a number of times already this season, when Semedo was out. Sure, after that exhausting Swindon match, perhaps he didn't quite have the same spring in his step so maybe not as sharp as expected.

But he did the job.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]I genuinly thought Uncle had got it wrong when he said Jonjo would not play, maybe mind games from Parky or something so was stunned when I got to the ground and saw he was on the bench! How Spring gets in the team ahead of either Shelvey or Racon is totally beyond me and the same for Wagstaff.

I never get it wrong ;-)
  • Options
    Says the Man who choose West Ham as his team...........
    ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Says the Man who choose West Ham as his team...........
    ;-)

Oi steady on we cant help what game we was first taken to as kids. Could have been worse,my uncle could have been a gooner or yid
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Says the Man who choose West Ham as his team...........
    ;-)

Oi steady on we cant help what game we was first taken to as kids. Could have been worse,my uncle could have been a gooner or yid

or worse bud he could have supported those stripey pricks
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    ;-)

or worse bud he could have supported those stripey pricks

Na no chance of that mate ;-)
  • Options
    We're going to be playing the Hammers next season anyway...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]We're going to be playing the Hammers next season anyway...

Ha ha you think so?? There's to many other bad teams in the prem
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]We're going to be playing the Hammers next season anyway...

That's true, although if you lost Parker and Upson in the transfer window I think you would struggle.
  • Options
    Oooo, I heard that a few seasons ago when you had PDC, Defoe etc in the team...
  • Options
    Well you just can't seem to put any kind of form together...and times getting on!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    Oooo, I heard that a few seasons ago when you had PDC, Defoe etc in the team...

Heard it a few times in our relegation season too.
  • Options
    Dont panic boy's they aint going anywhere and we'll have golds money soon lol. they will stay up if they get a decent forward
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Dont panic boy's they aint going anywhere and we'll have golds money soon lol. they will stay up if they get a decent forward

Mcleod's available