Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Bostock

Comments

• Options
    I saw one of our regular ITKs mentioning Bostock the other day... talk of another loan was on the cards but Harry wants him based in London so they can keep a close eye on him. Harry sees him as a talented player, as an enigma but cant suss him as a person at all. Reports from inside the club suggest a major attitude problem, having far too much too soon at his feet.
  • Options
    no more bloody palace at charlton
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bubble[/cite]from wiki!

Hull CityOn 6 August 2010, Bostock had joined newly relegated Hull City on a season-long loan. He is affectionately known as big bos man in the dressing room, this is due to his bossy tendencies on and off the field [citation needed]

I'm warming to him after that. We're always moaning that we need more leaders around the place.

Got to admit that ''selfish, unmotivated, lazy'' kind of takes a little bit of the shine off his leadership qualities, though !!!
  • Options
    Isn't this the guy who was winding up Jonjo Shelvey for playing for Charlton in that England Youth team interview?

Not sure i'd want someone with an attitude problem to be honest. Won't help matters at all. but if he comes and puts effort in then i'm all for it. He is a good player, but if he thinks he is better than us then he won't try very hard. Just my opinion.

But to be honest most players in the Prem reserves are going to think they are better than us and may not even want to drop down 2 divisions.
  • Options
    Probably a good move to get somebody who has had a few setbacks even if they have been self inflicted. He will be desperate to get his career back on track and we are probably a good place for him to achieve that. If successful and given the relevant strength of Spurs, possibly a player we could have next year too in the Championship.
  • Options
    If he did come, who would he replace though? Is this a sign that Lee Martin could be off after his unexplained absence on Saturday and now that Ipswich have a new manager maybe Jewell wants him back.
  • Options
    sorry, not for me.

Totally wrong player to get us promoted & out of the division. We need experienced, old pros - like Keven Kilbane (joined Huddersfield the other week & scored on Sat) or Kevin Philips
  • Options
    Poles,barges and not touching spring to mind
  • Options
    chatting to an FA coach a while back and he said "On paper the England u17's had a superb midfield of Bostock, Shelvey and Wilshere - sadly in reality the 3 of them were a nightmare when all together. Bostock the worst by a mile but Wilshere was also far too billy big spuds"

Seems he has a bit of an attitude and thats the last thing we want
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    townsend much better tore us to shreds at the lane. Thats who we want. not someone with an attitude problem.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I too might be a bit concerned by this supposed attitude problem, but is our manager not the most ideal role model you could possibly ask for?
  • Options
    Anybody know if this lad is any good? Is he like a creative midfielder?
  • Options
    In Powell I trust. If he wants him then that's Alrite with me
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: smiffyboy[/cite]townsend much better tore us to shreds at the lane. Thats who we want. not someone with an attitude problem.

True but Townsend seems higher up the pecking order than Bostock at the moment so might go on loan to a club higher up the ladder.

Attacking CM/Free kick taker is a position we need but not sure Powell will want to babysit him as he seems exactly the type of player he was having a go at in his PFA interview.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: smiffyboy[/cite]townsend much better tore us to shreds at the lane. Thats who we want. not someone with an attitude problem.

True but Townsend seems higher up the pecking order than Bostock at the moment so might go on loan to a club higher up the ladder.

Attacking CM/Free kick taker is a position we need but not sure Powell will want to babysit him as he seems exactly the type of player he was having a go at in his PFA interview.

Maybe that's sort of why we're linked? Sounds a bit stupid but hear me out. Possibly with his experience with the PFA Powell will have seen either Bostock or similar and where they went wrong, and what he thinks to be the solution to that problem. That way we get a decent player, with plenty of potential and no-one else particularly wants to go near him, while we (well, SCP) have a plan to get him back on track and benefit the team in the process. Could be way overthinking it naturally, but its just my little theory.
  • Options
    Ultimately Chris could be the best man manager in the world, there both from Lambeth which could help, but if a change of attitude is needed its on the kid shoulders to change it!
  • Options
    Could be Newbie, could be.

Sometimes have to take a risk on a player who is less than ideal because if he was talented, hard working and had a good attitude he'd be playing for Spurs or another prem team (or might have even stayed at Palace to learn his trade).

As NLA says if CP wants him and thinks he can do job for us then we have to trust his judgement and hopes he's got it right.

Then again transfer rumours are ten a penny this time of year so could be nothing at all in it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Sometimes have to take a risk on a player who is less than ideal because if he was talented, hard working and had a good attitude he'd be playing for Spurs or another prem team

pretty much what I was thinking Henry... noone you sign down here, or let's say not more than 1%, are not going to be gambles at least to some degree unless you pay silly money. if they weren't they would be playing at a higher level and on bigger money.
  • Options
    Bostock's nickname of ''big boss man'' and his apparent reputation for being a cocky, full-of-himself little sod had me thinking.

Huge, huge risk, clearly. But it's possible he is a natural-born leader and just waiting to be given some responsibility which would make him mature overnight.

Equally, he might so piss off everyone else that you would end up with open rebellion and people refusing to play in the same team...

Overall, I have to say I come down on the side of not a gamble worth taking in Sir Chrissy's first week in charge !!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Team players please. If he's got the maturity to play his part then yes. If he thinks he's a little star then no thankyou.
  • Options
    Agre ISLS,

Anyway normal practice for recently retired from playing managers is to bring in players they have played alongside which in CPs case must narrow it down to 2 or 3 hundred!

A lot will depend on how TJ works with CP especially if Johnson's claims are to be believed.
  • Options
    Make a sentence out of the following words -

"bargepole with touch a don't him"

From a Premier League coach.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Agre ISLS,

Anyway normal practice for recently retired from playing managers is to bring in players they have played alongside which in CPs case must narrow it down to 2 or 3 hundred!

A lot will depend on how TJ works with CP especially if Johnson's claims are to be believed.

Forgive me for asking but what did Johnson say?
  • Options
    It's what we're missing, we need a driving force in midfield although 'Arry has said his attitude stinks. Scored an absolute belter for Hull earlier this season.
  • Options
    Since it is you Mr B.

Didn't see it myself but reported on soccer am that johnson claimed that we were looking for a continental style set up with a coach and someone else buying players.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Interesting stuff about how Powell works with Jiminez. So did Johnson say this on the strength of being interviewed for the job?

I see Slater says we interviewed four candidates. Powell, 'loyal Eddie', Johnson(?) - and does anyone know who the fourth was?

Whatever else you say about Chris Powell, he is an absolute master of telling us what we want to hear. Just been reading what he said at his presser:

"People are proud of Charlton Athletic. We want them to be bouncing when they leave. Even if we lose, I want them to be proud that the players have represented them in the way they'd like.The people who pay their money to come and watch their team on a Saturday, they've been working all week, and even if we're not playing well, we need to show them that the players are proud to play for their club.''

Words, just words, you can say if you are a cynic. But whether unfairly or not, I have not really got a sense of that intuitive understanding and empathy with what it means to be a Charlton fan from any manager since Curbishley left.
  • Options
    I don't think that's a massive shock to be honest Mr.I, especially with TJ's history but I'm sure Powell has said he'll work with them to get whoever we need. It will only be a worry if random players start turning up and CP knows nothing about them. There's an awful lot of wait and see going on at the moment!
  • Options
    Agree Mr B, shall have to wait and see. So far I've been pleased with what I've seen and heard about the new board. Time will tell but so far so good IMHO.
  • Options
    Just wot Charlton need at this moment in time "make a player" for someone else instead of the real job in hand. What a joke! Do we really need to be babysitting?