Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Bostock

Comments

• Options
    Come on, they do have the best football academy in South Norwood though !
  • Options
    Another Palace wonder kid who ends up being ordinary or worse...in the recent history their fabled academy has produced Bostock, Routledge, Moses & the other ginger bloke at Wigan....not bad players but not quite as good as Palace shouted about (actually good marketing by Palace really).
    Exactly, their talk about their academy doesn't match their product. Mcginty to Man U, Elliot to Newcastle, Shelvey to Liverpool, Jenkinson to Arsenal and Solly, well we've still got the best of the crop.
    Your list is hardly the Busby Babes though Henry - I think we are sometimes equally guilty of believing our own Academy publicity a bit too much. Yes, Jonjo, Jenkinson & Solly might still get there, but the wider football world would surely be reserving judgement. Rufus & Parker represent the high water mark in my opinion, and that's a while ago.

Another way of looking at it is to count the number of England caps or Championship/CL medals won by our Academy graduates. Not too many really...
  • Options
    Come on, they do have the best football academy in South Norwood though !
    Allegedly.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Very true but CAFC aren't constantly saying we have one of the best academies in the land ala Palace.
  • Options
    Joining Wednesday on-loan till end of season
  • Options
    Seems like Redknapp and Mandaric have too much time on their hands.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Rumour has it that he has found God.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    That must have been some pass

*gets coat*
  • Options
    That is some pass!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doh
  • Options
    good job he took the money by going to spurs ... otherwise he could be skint and still sloshing around at palace
  • Options
    Seems his failings have followed him to Wednesday. Good on the ball but a liability when not.
  • Options
    I was talking to an england coach last year who said he coached the u15 /u16s when we had Bostock, Wilshere and Shelvey.

World beaters you'd think!?

Quite the opposite. Spent too much effort trying to outdo each other and prove they were the best
  • Options
    Been recalled by Spurs.

Tottenham have recalled midfielder John Bostock from his loan spell with Sheffield Wednesday.

The 20-year-old arrived on loan at the end of January in a deal until the end of the season but has been recalled early by his parent club under the terms of the agreement.

Bostock made four appearances for the Owls but has not appeared for them since the defeat at Chesterfield last month and has not featured in the squad following the arrival of new manager Dave Jones on March 2.

• Options
    Sounds like no great loss for them, sadly. Dave Jones doing a good job - bastard ;-)
  • Options
    Been released by Spurs and his loan spell at Toronto was ended early.
  • Options
    Appear to be confirmation of a wasted talent - last chance saloon!
  • Options
    I wonder if Tango man thinks they were ripped off now .... What did they get for him?
  • Options
    Found these details confirmed by the Football League:

- The PFCC decided that Tottenham Hotspur Football Club should pay Crystal Palace Football Club an initial compensation fee of £700,000.
    - Additionally, Tottenham are to pay Crystal Palace a further £250,000 after the player has made 5, 10, 20, 30 and 40 first team appearances. i.e. a total further payment of up to £1.25m.
    - Tottenham Hotspur should also pay Crystal Palace a further sum of £200,000 in the event of the player making his full International debut
    - Crystal Palace should receive 15% of any profit made by Tottenham in selling the player to another club, at any point in the future.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/latestnews/20080723/league-clarifies-bostock-details_2293301_1353409
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They expected a lot from him, those potential payments prove that.
  • Options
    "I have an academy who have produced a world-class footballer for someone else and got paid two-and-sixpence for it. We weren't unrealistic - we didn't try to be clever and put a value of £5m on the player.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11675_3796545,00.html

Suddenly £700k plus add-ons seems very reasonable for a player that 5 years on never completely established himself out on loan in the Championship or even League 1.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

"I have an academy who have produced a world-class footballer for someone else and got paid two-and-sixpence for it. We weren't unrealistic - we didn't try to be clever and put a value of £5m on the player.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11675_3796545,00.html

Suddenly £700k plus add-ons seems very reasonable for a player that 5 years on never completely established himself out on loan in the Championship or even League 1.

Interesting link that Scoham and spot on.
  • Options
    If he's got any sense, he'll join a league 2 club on reduced wages before its too late and try to build back up to the champ from there. But going on what people say about his attitude, I guess he won't do that.
  • Options
    Bostock needs to find Chris Powell in his life!

Amen.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I think it's most likely to be that it all went to his head. He was a Premier League player (attached to a top Premier League club) for five seasons.

I would imagine it would be difficult for most 16 year olds and I doubt that the Palace academy spent much time educating these young boys to cope with money and fame etc.

I think we are going to see more and more of this over the coming years. There seems to be an increase in young players being given too much money, too much pampering and little exposure to the first team. Sooner or later these millionaire boys are going to lose interest in busting a gut on loan to a Championship, or League 1, club.
  • Options
    Good enough of a young player having too much too soon which explains the lack of supposed talent maybe coming through or getting chances at the top level where teams expect instant performances and results?
  • Options
    He is still only 21 (he's younger than Solly and Obika) and did well at Swindon and Sheffield Wednesday on loan as far as I'm aware. Just because he didn't break into the Spurs team before he turned 21 doesn't mean we should write him off.

I'd take him on low wages.