Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Bostock

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    At one point Engkand had Shelvey, Bostock and Wilshere in the same team.
    Should be awesome shouldn't it.......

Apparently it was a nightmare as they spent their time trying to outdo each other and be top dog.

There is a lot of too much too young nowadays and its not good for the players

• Options

Good enough of a young player having too much too soon which explains the lack of supposed talent maybe coming through or getting chances at the top level where teams expect instant performances and results?

Or perhaps a talented young player who was obviously very well rewarded for agreeing to sign for Spurs and felt he had made it and failed to put the graft in.

• Options

Good enough of a young player having too much too soon which explains the lack of supposed talent maybe coming through or getting chances at the top level where teams expect instant performances and results?

Or perhaps a talented young player who was obviously very well rewarded for agreeing to sign for Spurs and felt he had made it and failed to put the graft in.

Havn't you just repeated what he said but using different words?
  • Options

Havn't you just repeated what he said but using different words?
    Congrats, you've worked out BFR.

It's often just lifed from wiki but sometimes other posters

: - )
  • Options
    Joined Antwerp today
  • Options
    Now playing at Toulouse.

Very interesting article in this week's Times about him and his faith in God highlighted by the car crash last March when he was hit by a drunk driver on the wrong side of the M20. Bostock escaped with whiplash but a passenger in the other car died at the scene.

Bostock, despite being at his 12th club, is still only 26 and now playing top flight football in France. I wouldn't have too much money on him not returning to the PL one day. And as a former Crystal Palace season ticket holder, one suspects it might just be with them - although they might not still be in the PL when that time comes.

• Options

Now playing at Toulouse.

Very interesting article in this week's Times about him and his faith in God highlighted by the car crash last March when he was hit by a drunk driver on the wrong side of the M20. Bostock escaped with whiplash but a passenger in the other car died at the scene.

Bostock, despite being at his 12th club, is still only 26 and now playing top flight football in France. I wouldn't have too much money on him not returning to the PL one day. And as a former Crystal Palace season ticket holder, one suspects it might just be with them - although they might not still be in the PL when that time comes.

'boy wonder' who got too much too young
  • Options

Now playing at Toulouse.

Yep but the talent was always there. With a faith to follow, a wife and kid too he might just have grown up now. His reaction to the crash certainly suggests so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Now playing at Toulouse.

I had to read your post twice as I thought you were the striped scum season ticket holder
    Even re-reading it, its still not clear.
  • Options

Now playing at Toulouse.

Very interesting article in this week't Times about him and his faith in God highlighted by the car crash last March when he was hit by a drunk driver on the wrong side of the M20. Bostock escaped with whiplash but a passenger in the other car died at the scene.

I had to read your post twice as I thought you were the striped scum season ticket holder
    Apologies NLA if I upset you. No I'm not a Palace season ticket holder and I have supported Charlton for well over 50 years and been a season ticket holder of the Club for many seasons albeit not in recent times.

However, I really don't care who someone plays for if they are trying to do some good with their lives. Life really is too short to hold such prejudices or grudges.
  • Options

Now playing at Toulouse.

Yep but the talent was always there. With a faith to follow, a wife and kid too he might just have grown up now. His reaction to the crash certainly suggests so.
    Sorry but how does having a 'faith' help you grow up. I thought/hoped that people grew out f that nonsense as they increased their knowledge.
    By faith I mean "a track to run on" - a raison d'etre.

The most intelligent person I know is a follower of God and preacher. So I would suggest that, as a rule, that probably isn't correct. And I have nothing whatsoever in common with him apart from having played in the same band as him some 40 years ago.
  • Options

Now playing at Toulouse.

Sorry but how does having a 'faith' help you grow up. I thought/hoped that people grew out f that nonsense as they increased their knowledge.

The most intelligent person I know is a follower of God and preacher. So I would suggest that, as a rule, that probably isn't correct. And I have nothing whatsoever in common with him apart from having played in the same band as him some 40 years ago.
    Not wishing to open up a debate about it and I respect your opinion but I can't trust that a person is truly intelligent if they are prepared to believe fairy stories.
  • Options
    I am all up for people finding faith and using it to better their lives and to have a firm building block to progress from

My only problem for a few seconds was how did you become a convert to the lord Charlton Athletic after being diseased by the devil from shithurst

When I read it again I could see you meant bostock was a striped mug season ticket holder

And in that Case was very much in need of finding the good lord
  • Options

Now playing at Toulouse.

Not wishing to open up a debate about it and I respect your opinion but I can't trust that a person is truly intelligent if they are prepared to believe fairy stories.
    Of course I get where you're coming from. Whether one measures the intelligence of Andrew (my old school friend) by his four As at A level, his first in English at Cambridge, his "owning" of the position of Head Boy, his ability to play multi instruments, his sporting prowess in representing Kent at athletics and captaining a very successful school rugby team (along with a number of other county players including Nigel Ransom who went on to play on more than a thousand games of football for Welling) is questionable.

I, equally, have no wish to debate Andrew's belief principally because I am not able to. What is, without question however, is that his particular belief is not "blind" or one that he hasn't thought and written about in a manner that goes way beyond the superficial. By way of example I offer this:

https://postost.net/2018/10/does-narrative-historical-method-help-us-answer-question-why-be-christian

Yes it is all very difficult to get one's head round and so much easier for many, including myself, to dismiss. But then Andrew probably thinks that following a football team for over 50 years in the hope that they might win the highest prize in club football is really the stuff of fairy tales. As did, once upon a time, the likes of Gary Lineker and those thousand of other Leicester City supporters - some fairy tales really do come true and it is that hope and belief that keeps people going.

That same belief in God drove Jonathan Edwards on to become an Olympic gold medalist and world record holder. The man who refused to compete on the Sabbath and went on to host Songs of Praise but who also, years later, denounced Christianity and simply, in his own words "stopped believing".

Bostock's belief is no different. Each and every time I hear Luke McCormick's name (and he's still playing) I really struggle to forgive him for the death of those two children. But that is, perhaps, my failing and why I admire Bostock because he was extremely lucky not to go the same way. Being associated with Palace is somewhat irrelevant.

• Options

Now playing at Toulouse.

Thanks @cubes - my 2nd ever flag. And the other was a mistake by a person who admitted in a PM that he pressed the wrong button on his phone!

Not concerned by the flag but would love to know what I've said, in the context of this comment and everything else I've said on the thread, that has offended you.
  • Options

Now playing at Toulouse.

Thanks @cubes - my 2nd ever flag. And the other was a mistake by a person who admitted in a PM that he pressed the wrong button on his phone!

Not concerned by the flag but would love to know what I've said, in the context of this comment and everything else I've said on the thread, that has offended you.
    A bit of a weird flag.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018

Now playing at Toulouse.

Of course I get where you're coming from. Whether one measures the intelligence of Andrew (my old school friend) by his four As at A level, his first in English at Cambridge, his "owning" of the position of Head Boy, his ability to play multi instruments, his sporting prowess in representing Kent at athletics and captaining a very successful school rugby team (along with a number of other county players including Nigel Ransom who went on to play on more than a thousand games of football for Welling) is questionable.

I, equally, have no wish to debate Andrew's belief principally because I am not able to. What is, without question however, is that his particular belief is not "blind" or one that he hasn't thought and written about in a manner that goes way beyond the superficial. By way of example I offer this:

https://postost.net/2018/10/does-narrative-historical-method-help-us-answer-question-why-be-christian

Yes it is all very difficult to get one's head round and so much easier for many, including myself, to dismiss. But then Andrew probably thinks that following a football team for over 50 years in the hope that they might win the highest prize in club football is really the stuff of fairy tales. As did, once upon a time, the likes of Gary Lineker and those thousand of other Leicester City supporters - some fairy tales really do come true and it is that hope and belief that keeps people going.

That same belief in God drove Jonathan Edwards on to become an Olympic gold medalist and world record holder. The man who refused to compete on the Sabbath and went on to host Songs of Praise but who also, years later, denounced Christianity and simply, in his own words "stopped believing".

Bostock's belief is no different. Each and every time I hear Luke McCormick's name (and he's still playing) I really struggle to forgive him for the death of those two children. But that is, perhaps, my failing and why I admire Bostock because he was extremely lucky not to go the same way. Being associated with Palace is somewhat irrelevant.

Apologies I haven't got the time nor the inclination to go through three podcasts defending Christianity. Not sure what your first sentence is going on about either it seems to be a bit of a verbal ramble.

Actually it is not difficult for me and many others to get their heads around. For me religion equals 1. Lack of evidence and 2. Undue influence.

I think your football as religion analogy is deeply flawed and if anything proves my point. We all know football is a fairy tale we don't hold it up to be anything but that. There is no great book of football (unless you mean the old Rothmans year book) which we govern our lives by, we do not make rules for others to follow in fact we need other football teams to exist as it is a competition. The only fact in football is the scoreline.

Your Bostock/McCormick comparison is also wrong. One killed people by his actions the other wasn't killed by anothers actions. Should we forgive McCormick if he said he had found god as a result of his actions? That is what you allude to, and in my opinion no we shouldn't, I would arbitrarily add another year to his sentence for trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

Interesting about JE, glad he grew up and saw some sense.
  • Options

Now playing at Toulouse.

Sorry didn't mean to flag must of pressed it on phone without noticing.
  • Options

Now playing at Toulouse.

Apologies I haven't got the time nor the inclination to go through three podcasts defending Christianity. Not sure what your first sentence is going on about either it seems to be a bit of a verbal ramble.

Actually it is not difficult for me and many others to get their heads around. For me religion equals 1. Lack of evidence and 2. Undue influence.

I think your football as religion analogy is deeply flawed and if anything proves my point. We all know football is a fairy tale we don't hold it up to be anything but that. their is no great book of football (unless you mean the old Rothmans year book) which we govern our lives by, we do not make rules for others to follow in fact we need other football teams to exist as it is a competition. The only fact in football is the scoreline.

Your Bostock/McCormick comparison is also wrong. One killed people by his actions the other wasn't killed by anothers actions. Should we forgive McCormick if he said he had found god as a result of his actions? That is what you allude to, and in my opinion no we shouldn't, I would arbitrarily add another year to his sentence for trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

Interesting about JE, glad he grew up and saw some sense.
    Accepting that Bostock wasn't killed so he didn't have to forgive him for his specific fatality but forgave him for the potential to kill him or end his career. The photo of his car shows how close he came to that. The other fact is that someone was killed in that crash - the passenger in the drunk driver's car.

Football is a fairy tale but I also think it depends what one's definition of "religion" is - to some it is "the belief in a super power" but, to others, it is "a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion". Christianity is an example of the former and football is an example of the latter.

The irony is that both can lead to the same thing - a hatred of someone that doesn't follow the same "religion" as themselves.
  • Options
    cubes said:

Now playing at Toulouse.

No problem - thanks for removing it. The other chap never did!
  • Options
    I have nothing but awe for those that have faith.

I, myself, struggle to believe in anything that cannot be proved by empirical evidence...
  • Options

I have nothing but awe for those that have faith.

I, myself, struggle to believe in anything that cannot be proved by empirical evidence...

Talk about threads that go off topic
  • Options

cubes said:

Now playing at Toulouse.

cubes said:

Now playing at Toulouse.

I flagged you by mistake ages ago and took it off after you pmed me! Unless you mean somebody else
  • Options
    I seem to remember him getting death threats from Palace fans for leaving them for Tot'nam when he was supposed to be one of them.

Did have an extravagant but unfulfilled talent though and sounds like a very different person to the cocky teenager he was supposed to have been. I think most of us were dickheads to some extent as teenagers - usually without the talent.
  • Options
    charltonJ said:

cubes said:

Now playing at Toulouse.

cubes said:

Now playing at Toulouse.

I flagged you by mistake ages ago and took it off after you pmed me! Unless you mean somebody else
    No it wasn't you but thanks for taking it off anyway.