Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views and Reaction vs. Bristol Rovers

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Absolute toilet and well worth the 5 hr round trip.

Well doen to all those that travelled for watching that s**t! A decent turnout I thought.

We will be very lucky to make the play-offs and as for millwall in a month - they must be licking their lips!!
  • Options
    got home 2.30am spent well over £100.00 to see a team that were just not up for it , i just wish the players would show the commitment i show by turning up .
    rob elliot was the only one to turn up.
    we have not put in a performance in any of the last four away games
    this result has been coming , we have no hight in defence , our second pass rate must be so poor ,
    all the teams we have played lately have had more than one 6'4 centre half , who has soaked up every long ball we send to burton .
    when we play on the ground we seem to get somewhere , since we played orient, teams seem to play the offside trap and we fall for it .
    we seem to want to walk the ball in the net , parky never has a player on the far post when we get a corner, when sam gets in a good position there is nobody in the box .
  • Options
    Why was there no Charlton player within yards of the Bristol Rovers player when he shot for the first goal. Not sure but my recollection of the incident puts the blame with Richardson ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Why was there no Charlton player within yards of the Bristol Rovers player when he shot for the first goal. Not sure but my recollection of the incident puts the blame with Richardson ?

Normally defending a corner, you have your keeper positioned towards the far post, a fullback on each post, and your biggest CB marks their main aerial threat, Amongst others, your midfielders pick up the late runners and opposition movement in the box.

That first Rovers' goal, I seem to remember the corner hit towards the penalty spot, their player (Lines?) rises head and shoulders above our CB (Dailly?) and flicks the ball into the path of the goalscorer, in yards of space who volleys in completely unchallenged.

I don't remember a defender on our RH post, and certainly no defender to challenge the goalscorer.
  • Options
    Have to say that there was a complete lack of team spirit or commitment to me last night, or what appeared to be!
    If a team mate of mine had been hacked down like that the next 20 minutes would have been tasty to say the least..... to me that summed up the teams attitude, or apparent atitude, a lack of passion! .
    Solly seemed hopelessly out of place, sorry I really like playing young players , but would have subbed him at half time, he looked lightweight, and nervous. However he could at least claim to be inexperienced!
    Frankly I thought that Elliott kept us in it!. As others have posted our heads go down, we loose 2 yards in pace, cannot control the ball, and loose belief!. We still seem to lack a proper captain, who controls the back/defence....... 'right you stand there, mark him!'
    Why was Shelvey not on the bench! have I missed something!. To me this was a team that were journeymen that we were playing against. I would rather not comment on the forwards, there performance or lack of it said it all. As my sons said, ' pity the players do not show the passion that the fans have on this site!'. Take the lads up to Charlton Park on Sunday morning Parky , they might learn something besides there agent telling them how great they are!.........
  • Options
    Well that was a game to make you lose heart.
    Don't know what I can add that hasn't been said but here's my pennyworth anyway.
    Parky had said in the pre match interview that we would come out on the front foot and have a go at Rovers.
    The Basey incident may have stalled it for a while, but it should not have derailed the original plan.
    So what went wrong?
    Rovers got at us instead, gave our midfield no time on the ball, we were unable to hold them off and this then appeared to stop our passing game, to be replaced with the long hopeful punt to the front two who often appeared to be on different continents.
    Rovers shut Sam off and put two on him at times. When he did get a chance to turn and run at them he was a danger, but it was at best sporadic.
    We did create a couple of chances but they came to nothing. In the meantime Rovers scored and generally looked more determined, effective and poised on the ball.
    The most soul destroying part of it last night was feeling like we have watched this scenario being played out for the last few seasons.
    A month of wins and this will sound like a knee jerk reaction to one of our few losses so far.
    But based on our recent history, and our current inability to get hold of games and control them, is there anyone out there with any confidence we are strong enough to stay in the top 6?
    I just hope that with games coming against teams in the lower half we somehow find our feet again. Literally.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 3blokes[/cite] is there anyone out there with any confidence we are strong enough to stay in the top 6?

i'm confident we'll see ourselves thru to the play offs ... not so confident about the out come of the play offs themselves...... i'm a good judge sit back and relax ;-)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Parky in charge was the biggest reason I didn't get a ST this time around, after having one nearly every year since the Selhurst days. He almost convinced me for a few weeks early season but now I'm right back to where I was at the end of last season. I think he's a decent bloke and he does seem to have a talent for finding certain types of players, BUT he just doesn't seem to know what to do tactically. I don't think that the players we have are THAT bad - even the strikers, he just doesn't know how to set them up.

For me, last nights game was screaming for a 4-5-1 with two proper wide men (Sam and Reid), a holding midfielder (Semedo) and a couple of ball-players in the middle (Racon and Shelvey) and a man who can score his share of goals and find space (Bailey) to play just behind a lone striker who can hold the ball up when played to feet (Burton).

Instead the back four pushed up too much which invited the oppo to close them down, leaving no alternative but to go long to a front two who were getting outjumped all game - the ball came straight back every time.

The big shame is that when he fails to get us promoted and the board eventually let him go, the decent talent we have left will have to have been sold to balance the books, along with our best chance of getting out of League One.

EDIT: I hope I'm wrong and I hate being this pessimistic but it's hard for me to see it any other way at the moment I'm afraid.
  • Options
    the less said the better, midtable it is
  • Options
    Ok Morts I shall turn up at the Valley on Saturday in a mellow mood and if we go the customary 0-1 down after 20 mins I shall remind everyone round me that it's all going to be fine cos there's a bloke on CL what knows ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Clive The Addick noted sadly :

''we have not put in a performance in any of the last four away games''

I know, Clive. But it will all be different on Saturday when the team are back in the warm embrace of our home crowd.

No booing, please, because even though it's only a tiny minority of 70-80 people who do it, that upsets them before they set out on a Saturday night of licentious clubbing.

But my, how I look forward to the eleven gun salute* that awaits the return of our all-conquering heroes.

* 'That's eleven guns as in a cannon ball up the arse of every single one of them...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HarryHutchens[/cite]Parky in charge was the biggest reason I didn't get a ST this time around, after having one nearly every year since the Selhurst days. He almost convinced me for a few weeks early season but now I'm right back to where I was at the end of last season. I think he's a decent bloke and he does seem to have a talent for finding certain types of players, BUT he just doesn't seem to know what to do tactically. I don't think that the players we have are THAT bad - even the strikers, he just doesn't know how to set them up.

For me, last nights game was screaming for a 4-5-1 with two proper wide men (Sam and Reid), a holding midfielder (Semedo) and a couple of ball-players in the middle (Racon and Shelvey) and a man who can score his share of goals and find space (Bailey) to play just behind a lone striker who can hold the ball up when played to feet (Burton).

Instead the back four pushed up too much which invited the oppo to close them down, leaving no alternative but to go long to a front two who were getting outjumped all game - the ball came straight back every time.

The big shame is that when he fails to get us promoted and the board eventually let him go, the decent talent we have left will have to have been sold to balance the books, along with our best chance of getting out of League One.

EDIT: I hope I'm wrong and I hate being this pessimistic but it's hard for me to see it any other way at the moment I'm afraid.

It might be a pessimistic post but it was thoughtful and well reasoned, Harry.
    I found myself agreeing with much of what you say
  • Options
    i was embarressed by that performance, it was nothing, they outplayed us and it should have been more, might have been different if the sending off happened, appaling challenge
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HarryHutchens[/cite]Parky in charge was the biggest reason I didn't get a ST this time around, after having one nearly every year since the Selhurst days. He almost convinced me for a few weeks early season but now I'm right back to where I was at the end of last season. I think he's a decent bloke and he does seem to have a talent for finding certain types of players, BUT he just doesn't seem to know what to do tactically. I don't think that the players we have are THAT bad - even the strikers, he just doesn't know how to set them up.

Harry I do think that 4-5-1 is the way forward (as we don't have a striker with pace left at the Club) but, unless I'm mistaken, you appear to have six in your midfield.
  • Options
    In this division you have to earn the right to use the ball and most teams we have played recently seem well aware of that. Early season we were given space to operate. We've been too easy to frustrate and nothing will change unless the Charlton players forget about trying to play their passing game until they have won the battle to run the game. I would like to see a comparison of the yards covered by the Bristol players compared to Charlton whose work rate looks pathetic. If players play on match days like they train then there's something seriously wrong with the training - if players don't do what they've trained to do then they need a kick up the arse. Can't imagine Pareky giving the hair blower treatment like Fergy did to Johnny Evans last night- Evans must have been scared shitless about going in at halftime.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mjl6781[/cite]i was embarressed by that performance, it was nothing, they outplayed us and it should have been more, might have been different if the sending off happened, appaling challenge
    to be fair we should have beat them whether they had 10 men or 11. We didn't and it was an embarassment no more so than Northwich though!
  • Options
    i want us to be playing against the relegation candidates again like we were at the start of the season when we were winning
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    For those who enjoy a little self punishment:

Linky: Brizzle Rovers debacle