Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Brighton - Post Match views

edited February 2010 in General Charlton
Not sure what's going to upset me more, the result or some of the illiterate reactionary guff that is bound to follow, so here goes.....

Not for the first time of late i come away not angry, but utterly despondent as once again we seemed to lose all semblance of a side. Brighton, a team in the relegation mix, pretty much bossed the game, first to most 50 / 50s, the bulk of the 2nd ball's, and also played the better football. When they attacked, they had verve and direction, while we appeared pedestrian and limited for options.

As a back four we really struggled as a unit to cope with both their wide men, and equally two central strikers that had good movement and pulled Llera and Dailly all over the place. Llera performed a lot better with the ball than most, but put a nippy striker on him thats going to pull off his shoulder and angle runs and he is lost.

Our midfield never got a grip of the game. Would Semedo have been a better option on a dodgy pitch ? I don't know. I think we can nit pick regarding selection, the bottom line is virtually no one performed individually and collectively we were a mess.

Akpo livened things up when he come on, but never gave off any more confidence than the others that the net was going to be bulged until the last minute. We are really struggling in the final third in my opinion. I've argued all season we've missed a certain type of striker, and i think it is going to prove to be our achilles heel.

All in, i'm thoroughly miserable. Yet another wasted opportunity to build on anything.

Are we massively underperforming, or are we simply not that good ?

Comments

• Options
    You could have just said we were crap AFKA.
  • Options
    last two seasons coming back to haunt us,too many loanees who don't give a toss, a manager void of ideas.Substitutions that beggar belief,same as you cant get angry anymore we are a piss poor shambles of a team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Not sure what's going to upset me more, the result or some of the illiterate reactionary guff that is bound to follow, so here goes.....

Not for the first time of late i come away not angry, but utterly despondent as once again we seemed to lose all semblance of a side. Brighton, a team in the relegation mix, pretty much bossed the game, first to most 50 / 50s, the bulk of the 2nd ball's, and also played the better football. When they attacked, they had verve and direction, while we appeared pedestrian and limited for options.

As a back four we really struggled as a unit to cope with both their wide men, and equally two central strikers that had good movement and pulled Llera and Dailly all over the place. Llera performed a lot better with the ball than most, but put a nippy striker on him thats going to pull off his shoulder and angle runs and he is lost.

Our midfield never got a grip of the game. Would Semedo have been a better option on a dodgy pitch ? I don't know. I think we can nit pick regarding selection, the bottom line is virtually no one performed individually and collectively we were a mess.

Akpo livened things up when he come on, but never gave off any more confidence than the others that the net was going to be bulged until the last minute. We are really struggling in the final third in my opinion. I've argued all season we've missed a certain type of striker, and i think it is going to prove to be our achilles heel.

All in, i'm thoroughly miserable. Yet another wasted opportunity to build on anything.

Are we massively underperforming, or are we simply not that good ?

What is your considered, balanced view on Parky AFKA? Stick with him & hope things get better or bring in a fresh but experienced face to try & inspire a dramatic turnaround over the last dozen or so games?
  • Options
    too late we are fukced
  • Options
    WE AINT GOOD ENOUGH ITS AS SIMPLE AS THAT, PLAY OFFS IS THE BEST WE CAN HOPE FOR AND I ALSO BELIEVE WE AINT GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN THEM .
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm sorry parky lost it tonight he changed us to three at the back second half only to lose his bottle two minutes later call Solly down the touch line and get him changed. He then changed his mind yet again bringing sam sodje on and pushing daily right back! What a clueless ! I'm sorry may sound harsh but he lacks so much passion as does the team and it must stem from somewhere?

Sadly I have a ticket for Friday and millwall ha ha!
  • Options
    We are simply not good enough.

The management and the players.

The tactics - well I couldn't spot any.

The substitutions - No idea.

The basic ability to pass to a team mate - How many times do we either pass the ball out of play or give it to the opposition.

When did we last have a decent striker ?

Thoroughly depressed and the table does not read well.

We could be out of the play-off positions very soon and anybody who has us to play soon must be rubbing their hands with glee.

I'll be at Southend cheering them on as I have been for the past 35 years and I'll carry on going as always but bloody hell they need a huge kick up the arse.
  • Options
    Get Martin Allen in. See if our players go missing with him in charge.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Poor all over the pitch stupid decisions by players and the manager outclassed by a shit team who had 2 shots on target, yet it us with no idea in the final 3rd

Sam again for me tonight puts us under so much pressure

Akpo looks like every ball hits him not that he tries to control it he heads to another striker or player 9 times of of ten instead of going for it his brother is deadly and mistake ridden if bailey doesnt drive us on no one does and we have a man at the helm not fit for purpose
  • Options
    I've said it before and I will say it again, parky was pards right hand man, this season stinks or pardew esque tactics and signings.. a clean sweep was needed when pards went even kins has to be questioned on what exactly the coaches coach these guys during the week it ostounds me how tactially inept we are, basics like cornerd free kicks even throw ins were guff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Miss managed is the answere, the same eleven players started tonight but with the negative formation of 4-5-1 mooney siting in the middle and bailey sitting so deep he was at times he was deeper than dailey and llera. sam forgot to turn up at all in the second half, jackson is not a left back, the only decent passes that racon made were back to our keeper, might have somthing to do with why we are pants.
  • Options
    Hard to believe that was the same side as Saturday.

Brighton were clearly better than Yeovil, but we were awful - and reminded why Akpo, Mooney and Reid are considered surplus to requirements at their own clubs.

I keep trying to remember that we are a third division team, and so can't expect top tier performances, but the way Brighton were able to get the ball down and play with a bit of pace and purpose exposed our own limitations again.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited February 2010
    Another crap performance by crap players in a crap league.

I'm even nervous looking at the playoffs now with Huddersfield and Millwall around. We are 6th if everyone wins their games in hand.

Plain and simple, nobody was good enough, it wasnt as if Brighton created a host of chances and Robbie had to be at his best or anything - it was just an average, nothing game. Boring.

Reid and Sam were anonymous, Bailey is playing far too deep with the showboater Racon in the team and as soon as Burton went off we missed him and nothing, apart from the mud, was sticking up top.

As for Parkinson and the tactics, I applaud him trying something different with the 3 at the back but as soon as their second went in (good goal) eveything just went out of the window.

I thought Llera and Dailly had ok games but that was it.
    [cite]Posted By: kakaka[/cite]the same eleven players started tonight but with the negative formation of 4-5-1 mooney siting in the middle
    Eh?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: robroy[/cite]I'm sorry parky lost it tonight he changed us to three at the back second half only to lose his bottle two minutes later call Solly down the touch line and get him changed. He then changed his mind yet again bringing sam sodje on and pushing daily right back! What a clueless fuck! I'm sorry may sound harsh but he lacks so much passion as does the team and it must stem from somewhere?

Sadly I have a ticket for Friday and millwall ha ha!

WELL SAID HE IS F---ING CLUELESS.
  • Options
    Brighton worked out that you can not play the ball through the middle of our pitch due to it being a bog we however never realised that all night

i am ashamed to support them tonight
  • Options
    what afkabartram said.

I'm Despondent and as bereft of solutions or alternatives as the tonights team were of ideas or invention.

Glass of wine tastes sour, want to go to bed and forget it all but know the result and performance plus the very frightening consequences of not going up will play on my mind.

A
  • Options
    Brighton played as a team, we didn't. League table doesn't make for good reading at the moment.
  • Options
    Why did Bailey play so deep?

We have no goals in us as at all yet the one bloke who scores goals sits in front of the back four sweeping up.

The quality of football is totally diabolical and after the great night I had with my lad as mascot (the staff were bloody great and deserve medals for being so dedicated) the players frankly can do one as I refuse to let them ruin his night.

Its just bloody terrible to watch. Simple as that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    We were given a lesson in football from a relegation contender. I cant think of one area of the game that we came out on top tonight.
    I cant decide whether we only went into this game with complacency or if we just have no answers left. I hope it's the former and Parky can get us playing again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]

What is your considered, balanced view on Parky AFKA? Stick with him & hope things get better or bring in a fresh but experienced face to try & inspire a dramatic turnaround over the last dozen or so games?

We have him until the end of the season no matter what from here, and anyone who thinks otherwise is living in cloud cuckoo land, in my opinion. I feel we are a club teetering on the brink and if we were to change managers now it would seriously be the final throw of the dice which if failed, would ultimately be a disaster.

People say they blame Parky for tonight, but Parky is not the reason 11 individuals who played well on Saturday all played shite tonight.

That being said, the one thing i thought we would get out of Parky over this 12 months has been a side that maybe did not play the best football, but rarely got outworked. I thought he instill and insist on players that would give the grit needed for this league and what has been missing the last few years. But it hasn't materialised.

I know finances haven't been there, and i know he has had to bring loans and freebies, but the first focus on this season should have been finding a striker to score the goals. Goals win games, and if you're going for promotion then it is essential. We haven't had a goal threat all season, and i think it is our downfall as teams can play a slightly higher line against us as they know there is little realistic threat behind them.

So summary, so far i think he is a nice guy who probably has the right idea and says the right things to the players, but ultimately hasn't been able to shape a side i would have expected from him, or one that seriously gives opposition something to worry about. Teams come to us and play not with fear, but with either freedom or tenacity, and we haven't imposed ourselves on any opposition team, since around September.

I see getting on his back now as pointless and self-defeating, particularly with things still to play for, but i'm disappointed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Thing that p*sses me off is that i gurantee not one player is as hurt about tonights result as any Charlton fan.
  • Options
    Parky the players whatever I can't put my finger on what is wrong and to be honest the worst part is I don't care my first game since wallsall and I can't say I missed it. I would never dream of missing out on charlton but the stage is getting near where it's time for a break. I'm going out of habit rather than enjoyment.
  • Options
    I feel much the same as AFKA. Not angry, just really disappointed. We were predictable going forward. Always trying those little one-twos, when it clearly wasn't on. Sam and Reid were so ineffective and gave us nothing wide. Never looked like contributing to danger and not a single good cross between them. They both underperformed massively.

I thought all our best players were midfielders in this squad but none of them were any good tonight. We had chances in the second half but Akpo and Mooney fluffed them. We didn't play as a team - how many times did people give the ball away taking too many players on, instead of passing?

And we just don't pressure teams when the oppo has the ball. I can't say it's a lack of effort but a lack of cohesion. I still clapped them off at the end because they tried and have red shirts on. If Sodje A had taken his first chance I believe we would have gone on to win. But he didn't and we got aimless and desperate. Christ, suddenly Big Mig looks like our best outfield player!

Could Llera play the holding role? He was only one to get it down and try to pass it, but he can't handle a quick striker. He's a decent footballer though.

And what is up with Bailey's passing????
  • Options
    My sincere apologies, as this is probably exactly the type of illiterate guff that AFKA was referring to, but I am going to repost it here from the match thread as I am interested to see what people think we should do as we stand on the edge of the precipice (I know it sounds dramatic, but we know what is at stake this season and the consequences if we don't go up). Anyhow, here goes:

We have 13 games to save the medium (maybe even long) term future of the club. Not going up means potential oblivion. We have been shyte since the new year and have not been convincing in the slightest. Maybe it's best that someone comes in for those last games, shakes things up a bit and at least gives us a last throw of the dice to save our future.

We were pondering a similar position at the bottom of the championship last season and opted not to act. We all know what happened. Can we afford not to do anything now and meekly watch our club slide into obscurity and possibly worse?

Parky is a nice guy etc., but he has never quite been inspiring enough and we are like a terminally ill patient at the moment - truly painful to watch. To act would cost money and that may mean selling some of our prize assets - but the way things are going we are going to lose them at the end of the season anyway, so what does everyone think?

I think that I have lost faith in Parky, and I was willing to give him a chance...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]Parky the players whatever I can't put my finger on what is wrong and to be honest the worst part is I don't care my first game since wallsall and I can't say I missed it. I would never dream of missing out on charlton but the stage is getting near where it's time for a break. I'm going out of habit rather than enjoyment.

like many of us mate
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]Parky the players whatever I can't put my finger on what is wrong and to be honest the worst part is I don't care my first game since wallsall and I can't say I missed it. I would never dream of missing out on charlton but the stage is getting near where it's time for a break. I'm going out of habit rather than enjoyment.

I THINK YOU HAVE SAID WHAT MANY FANS ARE FEELING.
    SORRY NSS YOU SAID IT 1ST SON
  • Options
    If i hadnt of met so many of you madmen from on here, I doubt i'd be going anymore!
  • Options
    says something when i would rather watch the clown than akpo,but my god he is absoultely dreadful
  • Options
    To sum it up; shiite.

Just sub off who you want Parky, thats just what we want to see.. everyone looked clueless and fairplay to Gus' lot as they knew how to beat us and it worked. We're going to struggle for play offs if nothing changes. :-(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]says something when i would rather watch the clown than akpo,but my god he is absoultely dreadful
    I wonder how many people realised he actually scored tonight?! Only the 2,000 left in the ground I think!