Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Brighton - Post Match views

Comments

• Options
    what Len Glover said. I've been going to the Valley since '62. The current situation,imo, is worse than 72-3 when we played in front of 3 or 4 thousand scattered around the ground. The difference then, of course, was the players put their lot in every week. Until this current lot of journeyman time wasters (with the obvious few exceptions) start bothering, then neither will I.
  • Options
    PP has lost the plot with his tactics and subs:
    Mooney was playing a midfield/playmaker/wing role? (WTF)
    Bailey playing defensive role? (total waste of his attacking abilities)
    Sam and Reid switching sides? (to confuse who exactly)
    Dailly at right back? (needs a rest to be honest - looking slow)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]Until this current lot of journeyman time wasters (with the obvious few exceptions) start bothering, then neither will I.
    Who are these journeyman timewasters we have?
  • Options
    Most disappointed in Bailey, terrible last night, really not a captains performance - i know people think him sitting deep neutralises him, and thats right to a degree, but he didnt look up for it at all. Have to wonder if its worth dropping him for a game or two. As for Racon, there is no point in him being on the pitch if we arent gonna play football, thats what hes there for, if were gonna hoof it to akpo - hes a pointless passenger, which he was last night. How about Semedo and Shelvey in centre mid? They cant do any worse than Bailey and Racon did last night.

What worries me most is that we dont come out looking up for it, at the start or after half time. It takes us far too long to get into the game, sorry but i see the blame for that with parkinson, have real doubts he can motivate them. In terms of footballing ability, this is easily one of the best, if not the best, in the league - we all know that. The fact that even after a return to winning ways at the weekend, we can still go out and look uninspired and clueless, really bothers me.
  • Options
    I forgot Elliot was reported injured after Saturday. I wonder whether the injury impeded him for the goals because he is normally pretty good as a shotstopper.

I noticed he was kicking short to Llera or dailly a lot too rather than lumping it downfield as he normally does, particularly in the first half.
  • Options
    Am I really the only one who thought Racon played quite well last night? I know he wasn't much of an attacking threat in the second half but whenever he did get the ball he played some nice passes and did defend quite well after we switched to 3 at the back.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]Am I really the only one who thought Racon played quite well last night? I know he wasn't much of an attacking threat in the second half but whenever he did get the ball he played some nice passes and did defend quite well after we switched to 3 at the back.

I don't know what it is with Racon. He really impressed me towards the end of last season and the early part of this but lately I'm struggling to see what he brings to the table as it were. I felt we lost that game because the midfield was non-existent in that we were always second to the ball. As a central midfielder Racon has to take a large share of the responsibility for that in my opinion.
  • Options
    racon=show pony ... with fark all to show
  • Options
    Was there a game last night?
  • Options
    Brighton kept their shape better than us, headed clear everything that came into their box, won nearly every 50 / 50 ball, mastered the conditions better than us, looked dangerous whenever they got wide. I think we were beaten by a better than average side...improving v decaying, the former will always triumph.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]Am I really the only one who thought Racon played quite well last night? I know he wasn't much of an attacking threat in the second half but whenever he did get the ball he played some nice passes and did defend quite well after we switched to 3 at the back.

I don't know what it is with Racon. He really impressed me towards the end of last season and the early part of this but lately I'm struggling to see what he brings to the table as it were. I felt we lost that game because the midfield was non-existent in that we were always second to the ball. As a central midfielder Racon has to take a large share of the responsibility for that in my opinion.
    For me Racon is similar to Zheng Zhi, but with less energy/running around and little goal threat. One of the better technical players, without being outstanding in that area, tidy and usually short passing, comfortable on the ball and likes to run with it.

He's not too good defensively and we've seen the best of him in a 451, like most of our midfield.
  • Options
    I don't go in for all this 'blame the crowd' stuff. Their fans were excellant last night, we were not. Why ? Simple, they have had a number of years to get used to the position they are in, they have been battling red tape the last few years and have developed a seige mentality, an all for one one for all mentality. Like we had during the exile years. We on the other hand have plummented from the PL to League 1 (Division 3) in shocking fashion and we are still coming to terms with that. Add in the fact we got off to a flying start to this season and so raising expectations higher than maybe they should have. Now we are back down to earth with a bump again. The players arn't performing and Parky is clueless. We have been kicked in the proverbials more times than I care to remember the last four years and we are in general despondant about what has happened both on and off the field. The last peaple to blame is the crowd in my opinion.

We lost, as we did at Swindon, with a truely shocking performance. I don't actually worry too much about results. Some times you batter a team and lose but it's a good performance. Sometimes you get battered and win. The result is sometimes insignificant, I worry more about performances. So got a bit carried away with the performance against Yeovil. Without three superb saves by Elliott we could have been one or two down by half-time and I thought we were pretty poor then. I hoped it would instill a bit of confidence but it didn't. Unfortunately Parky isn't up to the job. I wonder if he ever gives the hairdryer treatment at half-time. If he does it's probably so they don't go back out with wet hair and get a chill. You listen to him and you have to doubt he could inspire anyone. We havn't got bad players but we have got a bad manager who obviously can't motivate the team properly. If we finish in a play-off place, far from certain, I'm not confident at all.
  • Options
    we just do not have a out and out goalscorer
    we want to walk it in to the net
    parky has no clue whatsoever
    never seen the pitch so bad
    never anyone standing at far post at our corners
    we dont put anyone in the box why??
    midfield missing
    no hight at the back
  • Options
    Not convinced we haven't got bad players!!

Turn it the other way, who are the good ones who consistantly do it.

Bailey

Erm?

Sodje is absolutely the worst player Ive ever seen in a Charlton shirt for footballing ability & I saw Mike Small.

We have a multitude of players that cannot do the basics for which their position requires and the whole squad lack what you need to get out of this league.
  • Options
    Brighton out passed us out tacled us and out scored us, they looked like a team deserving of promotion. Are players are mediocre 3rd division players who once in a while can raise ther game against an under performing team. I beleive are good start to the season was because teams in this division believed all the hype about are premiership credentials and gave the team to much respect. They soon found out how poor the players and since the begining of January if not before and now just take the team to the cleaners most of the time.
    I started the season believing it would take us 5-10 years to be competing to get into th top flight, after last nights shocking display I feel it is going to be 10 years if ever. Realy feeling down and humiliated by that performance of a team I support.
  • Options
    I have got to say that Baileys passing has been woeful for some time now. The pitch was bad for both teams yet Brighton passed it round so much better. This season is slowly falling apart and just when you need a player like Bailey to kick start a game he goes missing. What happened to the team that started so well in the first half of the season? At the moment they resemble last years end of season lot when were getting spanked by everyone and their dog. Oh the horror.........
  • Options
    Dear deidre
    I'm not gonna moan about the performance or the fact that we are in the third division, with third division players, or come to that Parky or the ref.
    I think I really am fed up with wanting us to win anything so I am going to go to each match, not worrying if we win, lose or draw.
    I'm not going to look at the league table anymore or other teams results.
    But I am going to still support the team and sing and cheer as loud as I can.
    It feels like I'm on remand, waiting to be sentenced and sent down for a stretch.
    I love football and I hate football at the same time.
    Am I going mad?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]Dear deidre
    I'm not gonna moan about the performance or the fact that we are in the third division, with third division players, or come to that Parky or the ref.
    I think I really am fed up with wanting us to win anything so I am going to go to each match, not worrying if we win, lose or draw.
    I'm not going to look at the league table anymore or other teams results.
    But I am going to still support the team and sing and cheer as loud as I can.
    It feels like I'm on remand, waiting to be sentenced and sent down for a stretch.
    I love football and I hate football at the same time.
    Am I going mad?

Who do you support?

Charlton.

Well, you already are mad!
    Deidre

;-)
  • Options
    I thought Racon played well.
  • Options
    "Did Charlton just go FULL RE-TARD?"

"No one ever goes full Re-Tard"

"Charlton just did!"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it's all been pretty much said already. I watched on bemused. Where's the passion gone, where's the ability to bring the ball down, take on a man, play a one two?

Lloyd Sam didn't want to know. What DOES McKenzie have to do to start a game - it's been 6 months now?!

Llera gave his best, Dailly did ok - but basically we are SO slow, sluggish and lack any sort of penetration. I thought Apko got better as the game went on - but my god, his second touch is a tackle.

Bailly played too deep, Jackson looked like he's ok going forward and Reid's delivery was Sunday morning standard.

Mooney was anonymous, Racon was a luxury and Richardson got skinned all night by their left winger. Elliot should have done better with the 2nd goal.

What positives can anybody find?

We won't make the play offs.

My god - I didn't think I'd say that this season ....
  • Options
    This thread is a fecking nightmare read.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]This thread is a fecking nightmare read.

in what sense SHG ?
  • Options
    I blame Colchester for cancelling their game!
  • Options
    i think i must have been watching a different game to everybody else last night! i actually thought we played well. we passed it around patiently and worked it into good areas. sam, reid and mooney were all shit and this, i think, is what let us down. if reid or sam could actually cross a ball, or mooney could have scored one of the chances that fell his way, we would have won yesterday. our team is very close to being a good side, if we just managed to obtain a natural goalscorer, we would go far. until then, i think automatic promotion is an extremely long shot now. anyway, you may now commense your barrage of abuse towards me!
  • Options
    Nightmare read AFKAvbecause we all are so depressed and now pesimistic. Never been rose tinted myself but always like to read a few posts that can lift the gloom. Very thin on the ground at the moment though.
  • Options
    I listend to the game live on the radio and all i kept hearing from the announcers were how second best Charlton were on the evening. Not once did Charlton sound like they were going to come away with three points. From what i heard form the broadcast, the first goal was a counter attack and Elliot looked poor. The second goal was always coming and Charlton never sounded like the team to fight back for even a point. What a poor result! A home match vs a struggling side at the bottom of the table and we cant snag 3 vital points. It was a very hard match to listen to for a full 90 mins.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: alicwkd[/cite]i think i must have been watching a different game to everybody else last night! i actually thought we played well. we passed it around patiently and worked it into good areas. sam, reid and mooney were all shit and this, i think, is what let us down. if reid or sam could actually cross a ball, or mooney could have scored one of the chances that fell his way, we would have won yesterday. our team is very close to being a good side, if we just managed to obtain a natural goalscorer, we would go far. until then, i think automatic promotion is an extremely long shot now. anyway, you may now commense your barrage of abuse towards me!

For what it's worth, I agree with you mate.
    Our downfall as others have mentioned is we haven't got a goalscoring striker
    They had 2 shots and scored both, we had all manner of half chances and never looked likely.
  • Options
    I`ve been going down there since 1950, there may have been worse Charlton teams, but I can`t remember them. I asked myself last night, what is an old man doing here watching that shite on a cold winter`s evening. I wont be at Souhend and I, along with many others, are not too bothered if we go to the next home game. 5 year S/Ts, your `aving a laugh. We`ll be very lucky to make the play offs and if we don`t, another year in Div3, Mr Murray says we might have to sell our top players, who would that be?

mascal