Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Brighton - Post Match views

12346»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: alicwkd[/cite]i think i must have been watching a different game to everybody else last night! i actually thought we played well. we passed it around patiently and worked it into good areas. sam, reid and mooney were all shit and this, i think, is what let us down. if reid or sam could actually cross a ball, or mooney could have scored one of the chances that fell his way, we would have won yesterday. our team is very close to being a good side, if we just managed to obtain a natural goalscorer, we would go far. until then, i think automatic promotion is an extremely long shot now. anyway, you may now commense your barrage of abuse towards me!
    I know what you mean, but Bailey's passing was poor and Racon offers little defensively and not much when he doesn't have the ball. That's the entire midfield having a bad game. You can be promoted without a good goalscorer but you have to cover that weakness by keeping clean sheets and scoring goals from all over the pitch.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Nightmare read AFKAvbecause we all are so depressed and now pesimistic. Never been rose tinted myself but always like to read a few posts that can lift the gloom. Very thin on the ground at the moment though.

I've now had a full 24 hours to take it in, and watched the highlights on cafcplayer and agree that we wasn't that bad.
    We have had worse games this year.
    Brighton played well and we should have countered their 451 by reverting to it ourselves.
    Oh well still 13 games left and 39 points to aim for!

We are in the same position as we were before Saturday, so still plenty of footie to be played.
  • Options
    you are havin a bloody laugh we were awful.Racon was a waste of space as was Sam, Reid had a mare, Akpo was shite and Mooney poor.For me
    Llera and Jackson were the only ones to come out of that game with any credit.
  • Options
    Whatstevesaid
  • Options
    We may have had a few more half chances than them but that doesn't alter the fact that Brighton with the ball looked far more comfortable with it and at times passed us off the pitch and looked the team at the top and we looked the team at the bottom.
    And that isn't a one off.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Nightmare read AFKAvbecause we all are so depressed and now pesimistic. Never been rose tinted myself but always like to read a few posts that can lift the gloom. Very thin on the ground at the moment though.

I've now had a full 24 hours to take it in, and watched the highlights on cafcplayer and agree that we wasn't that bad.
    We have had worse games this year.
    Brighton played well and we should have countered their 451 by reverting to it ourselves.
    Oh well still 13 games left and 39 points to aim for!

We are in the same position as we were before Saturday, so still plenty of footie to be played.

You must have watched the wrong hi-lights because it was bloody aweful, Northstand Steve has summed it up, I could add more but having suffered it live I do not want to go over it again.
  • Options
    I think the thing that got our fans wound-up was that we wish our team would be as committed as Brighton were.

Our players probably wish our fans were as committed as Brighton's were !

Big chance for everybody to put things right on Friday.
  • Options
    Most of them were committed, they just had bad games. They were committed enough against Yeovil weren't they? Reid for example tried just as hard, he just got his crosses and shots all wrong. Akpo shows committment he's just not that good a player. Can anyone say Bailey, the defenders and Elliot aren't trying hard enough?

We've had games in the last few years in which too many players weren't trying hard enough, but the Brighton game wasn't one of them. We have bigger problems than the amount of effort players are putting in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]We have bigger problems than the amount of effort players are putting in.

exactly , as you've pointed out before too may pony footballers in our squad .....
  • Options
    Pretty much. They're good on their day but every team can say that. Our apparently Championship midfield couldn't compete with Brighton's, we needed to match their 451 to actually be first to the ball.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's interesting how quickly the mood veers either way after a loss or a win. That's not a criticism really, as I'm very much the same

After the Yeovil result there was a lot of talk about '4 teams being in the mix' and 'we're still in with a small shout of automatics'. I remember the loss to Leyton Orient feeling like a nail in the coffin of our automatic promotion hopes, yet 5 games and a series of poor results later, we were somehow still not that far off after that one win against Yeovil.

If I was grasping for a positive, I guess we could look at the fact that Leeds too were outplayed at home against Brighton last week. I had a look at their forum after that result and saw the terms like 'clueless' and 'deja vu' bandied around, as well as chestnuts like 'we'll be lucky to make the playoffs at this rate'. Now after a good win on Tuesday they'll probably be buoyant and feel like they're looking good for straight promotion once more.

I'm not saying the despair isn't justified - it's a very worrying situation - but I guess I just never like absolutes, the idea that we definitely can't and won't go up. A win against Southend and a loss for Leeds away at Huddersfield (of which there's a decent chance) and suddenly we're 3 points off second place. As bad as we've been recently, Leeds' results have been even worse, and no ones nailing down any positions just yet. Scrapping a few 1-0s isn't impossible with the players at our disposal.

It's unlikely, yes. I just don't personally think it's impossible. And if we do win on Saturday, I imagine the feeling will change once again.
  • Options
    I'd say we're the biggest bunch of manic depressives in League One, if it wasn't for the fact that some of us are depressed even when we win.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]I'm not saying the despair isn't justified - it's a very worrying situation - but I guess I just never like absolutes, the idea that wedefinitelycan't and won't go up. A win against Southend and a loss for Leeds away at Huddersfield (of which there's a decent chance) and suddenly we're 3 points off second place. As bad as we've been recently, Leeds' results have been even worse, and no ones nailing down any positions just yet. Scrapping a few 1-0s isn't impossible with the players at our disposal.

What a good post, Sussex.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]I'd say we're the biggest bunch of manic depressives in League One, if it wasn't for the fact that some of us are depressed even when we win.

Bang on, Aliwobble
  • Options
    I called the Samaritans when I left the Valley on Tuesday night.......................they were engaged ;-)
  • Options
    The good news is that we are just six points off an automatic promotion place, and that's despite the recent wobble.

The bad news is that the collective form of our players is poor and confidence is low, it's not as though we are playing well and being unlucky as we we. So it looks like it'll be the promotion via the play-offs route for us and the problem with that is that the teams that win the play-off final generally go into them with a bit of form behind them and that brings confidence. Currently we have neither.

There's still time to pull it all together but we need a few morale boosting wins from somewhere and soon.
  • Options
    We must go back to the start of the season and bring JJ back in and go 451 again.
    We were flying for the first 10 games or so, so a couple of games to get the confidence back up and stay unbeaten til end of season
    Simples!
  • Options
    Teams have sussed us out and our plan B is just NOT good enough!
  • Options
    [cite]DRAddick[/cite]
    We may have had a few more half chances than them but that doesn't alter the fact that Brighton with the ball looked far more comfortable with it and at times passed us off the pitch and looked the team at the top and we looked the team at the bottom.
    And that isn't a one off.

Quite right, they also managed to do it against Norwich and Leeds, albeit without winning.
    Clearly they are much better than their league position suggests. ;-)
  • Options
    "supaclive Comment
    Teams have sussed us out and our plan B is just NOT good enough!"

This is EXACTLY RIGHT, and reflects badly on Parky/coaching staff.

Just count our passes back into the centre circle when an attacking plan has been sussed by the opposition, or passes from the corner flag area, back to the halfway line, and then across to the other wing. It shows we are out of alternatives when teams have done their homework on our plan A.