Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Brighton - Post Match views

Comments

• Options
    "It was so bad in every area that it's difficult to pinpoint any areas in particular but I will say this; This team seriously lacks bollocks."

Says it all.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Had a night sleep to think about it.

Now it wasn't good, but if only Racon had put his foot through it instead of doing whatever the hell he was trying to do we would've been 1 up, instead 40 seconds later it was in the back of our net.

Anyway, our strikers are pretty hopeless, can't control and don't have the composure to finish chances. Mooney in the hole doesn't work for me, as he isn't quick enough for him to turn on the ball it takes him 5 touches by that time Brighton were all back in there positions, if we're going to play someone in the hole bring Shelvey back in there.

I thought Reid was awful, everything he tried didn't work, poor crossing, poor passing and couldn't beat his man all night.

Last night I came to the game thinking we would be in for another depressing mid week game, you knew it was going to happen. Brighton had purpose in there attacks, we dily dally around with the ball but didn't have that final ball for someone to run onto, didn't . I know the pitch was bad but our passing was poor, always played behind instead of in front for someone to run onto it.

We've still got to play the top 8/9 home or away and it's not looking good. I am going Southend in 2 days and I'm not looking forward to it one bit, I've wasted enough of my time over this team week after week making the same mistakes time and time again. Not even that depressing anymore, just we al know whats going to happen.

Also I don't really know what Parky did with his subs last night, I suppose he meant go 3 at the back but I didn't know who was playing where!
  • Options
    Couldn't be arsed to post last night and feel just as down this morning.

My thoughts for what they are worth are....Automatic is gone, playoffs at best now (and I'm even worried about those to be honest, the way we are playing)

I think the main reason we are struggling is that we are just so toothless up front and that's the difference between us and the rest of the top sides in this league. Don't particularly have a problem with the defence and midfield as I think we are as good as anything in this league there........but up front, woeful.

Nobody will ever convince me that Mooney is a good player.....he's as poor a striker as I've seen in a red shirt.
  • Options
    I've never seen someone as anonymous in the first half as Mooney. He just doesn't put him self in the danger areas.

It's all very well doing legwork outside the box but he has to do at least make the defenders work in the box.

Just not good enough. And we have too many of those.
  • Options
    I just don't get why we are so gutless!! No balls, no energy and just so well gutless!! Writing is on the wall in my opinion!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Mooney in the hole doesn't work for me, as he isn't quick enough for him to turn on the ball it takes him 5 touches by that time Brighton were all back in there positions, if we're going to play someone in the hole bring Shelvey back in there.

So the problem with Mooney playing in the hole is that there is never a hole for him to play in!
  • Options
    Never thought a Kinsella influenced side would be so devoid of ideas on how to keep ball, accurately pass a ball & how to effect a tackle. My optimism is straining. Mind you, i was toasty warm in my jacket :-D
  • Options
    Go 1-0 up and we're fine a lot of the time. Go 1-0 down we can't break down a side defending their lead.

Bailey's passing is still poor. He's now playing too deep to accomodate Racon, who isn't really any more of a threat going forward. He has more skill yes, but he'll rarely score and he doesn't create much more than Bailey does.

People always moan about Sam's decision making, by Reid's was appalling. Sam lacks a bit of drive, but he knows he's not that quick. Unless there's enough space he can't just sprint past a full back. He'd probably accelerate past but they'd catch up a lot of the time.

Sam and Racon are only really involved if we have the ball. We need to get them on the ball more, but 1-0 down they don't offer much unless they have the ball.

Dailly doesn't convince me in the air any more, and generally not the player he was at the start of the season.

Mooney, Bailey and to a lesser extent Sam were trying things but they weren't coming off. Bailey isn't passing like he can, is it because he's playing deep, or he's so desperate to help us win. Or something else?

We're still poor up front, something other teams in the top 6 or so are not.

Brighton do have a good away record, but we should still do better than that. Like I said, we need to go 1-0 up as we're just not good enough to break teams down otherwise. Whether that's a missing striker who can create chances for himself, or a midfielder to take control, I don't know, but somethings missing because they're not capable of breaking down teams defending a lead.
  • Options
    Never thought a Kinsella influenced side would be so devoid of ideas on how to keep ball, accurately pass a ball & how to effect a tackle. My optimism is straining. Mind you, i was toasty warm in my jacket :-D
  • Options
    Mooney - Ive been saying it since he joined us, the day he came on as a sub for the last 10 minutes at home and his shirt was 3 sizes too big, he is no better than a Kent League striker.

Bailey - Why does he suddenly think he is Xavi Alonso?....who gave him this idea.

A Sodje - Touch like an Elephant and ive seen milk turn quicker.

Sam - He is like one of those kids in u11 football that has the talent but will completely lose concentration and start pointing at aeroplanes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    well that's it for me this season on away games i have spent a lot this year more than many previous but one thing i aint going to do is give the spanners my money and watch them murder us.I'll go to the home games like I always do ,but in the present economic climate i aint wasting anymore money and certainly aint renewing my season ticket before end of march.
  • Options
    Our best attacking player is Elliott
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]-martin allen .

funniest post on this thread mate - he's ******* useless makes parky look like Fergie
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]well that's it for me this season on away games i have spent a lot this year more than many previous but one thing i aint going to do is give the spanners my money and watch them murder us.I'll go to the home games like I always do ,but in the present economic climate i aint wasting anymore money and certainly aint renewing my season ticket before end of march.

Im the other way round. Love the away games cos it usually ends up in a night out and an overnight stay...along with winding up their fans. Home games are cack, no atmosphere and so im forced to watch the pony seved up on the pitch. Like someone said earlier, the reason for going has become a habit rather than enjoyment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]

funniest post on this thread mate - he's ******* useless makes parky look like Fergie

I did follow the sentence with 'someone like him'...ie a bit of a nutter that wont stand players picking their arse. Is his managerial record even that bad? Think i saw his win percentage was 50%, mostly with crap clubs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]

I did follow the sentence with 'someone like him'...ie a bit of a nutter that wont stand players picking their arse. Is his managerial record even that bad? Think i saw his win percentage was 50%, mostly with crap clubs.

....or someone like Gus Poyet maybe...
  • Options
    Despondent is a good word, sure the mud and Burton going off really didn't help, but why are these 'lesser' teams now all giving us a hard time. I left early at about 78 minutes, for only the second or third time ever.

My main gripe is that Parky seems incapable of forging a team that will play together

Certain players just don't put enough in perhaps they think they are a shoe in, anyone who doesn't close down and work hard should be subbed simple as.

Racon for one just doesn't do enough all round play in my view, he and others need to do far more hassling and chasing

Our movement off the ball is poor, sure be a passing side, but do it with movement, otherwise the other team just close you down, this happens all the time currently - we have been sussed out tactically, all teams have to do is harrass us and we will give the ball away. Why can't Kins teach some of them his famous ball retention skills, the little pirouette he used to do?

Players also don't pair up enough and attack, there are no partnerships no teamwork.

Parky needs to stick with this 11 now, and work on our movement and team play in my view.
  • Options
    Not much i can add to what's been said.

Although did anyone notice the Brighton wingers right on the touch line everytime their midfield got the ball, at one point i thought one had just run in from the crowd or something. Worked really well, creating so much width and space for the strikers to run into, maybe something we need to look at rather than Lloyd just drifitng into the centre.
  • Options
    Oh and Curbs was there last night.
    Heard him on Talksport this morning, he was hinting at getting a job in the summer..........
  • Options
    In Stock Market palance, Curbs certainly sold at the top of the market.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Players - Not good enough & not enough desire to compensate.
    +
    Manager - Tactically naive, lacking a plan B, confusing substitutions.
    +
    Coaching staff - Worryingly, most of the squad appear to get worse the longer they been at the club.

= total bollox
  • Options
    *parlance*
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite]Coaching staff - Worryingly, most of the squad appear to get worse the longer they been at the club.

So true. New players come in - first game on fire, bit less the second and then within a month they are reduced to our level. Even Asbo looked reasonable the first couple of games, now look at him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite]Coaching staff - Worryingly, most of the squad appear to get worse the longer they been at the club.
    Or are they just having a few good games at the start because it's something new for them, and gives us something different? Over the last few years we're replacing players with slightly less quality with each signing, and they don't have enough in their character or as a team to make up for it and turn things around.

It feels like it did two years ago, which makes me worry where we'll be in a years time. If we stay down I seriously doubt there's any manager we could get that would be able to take us up in one season, and I don't think Parky would be able to do it either.
  • Options
    We were "outed" last night:

Out played (all over the pitch)

Out fought ( they wanted it more than us)

Out thought (tactics, or lack of them)

Out sung (enough said, the north stand was non existant)

Should have been 1-3, Robbie was a lucky man as he threw the ball against their forward, easy goal

Play offs????????????? even they are looking dodgy if the other teams around us beat us and win their games in hand

As you can tell I am gutted today
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]

Out sung (enough said, the north stand was non existant)

Bit rich coming from a non North Stander! ;-)
  • Options
    After reflecting on it awhile I still feel no better.

A few random thoughts that probably won't make sense to many but it gets them off my chest:

Sam had the worst game I've seen him play last night yet, perversely, it demonstrated just what an important player he is when on form as we were devoid of any real attacking penetration. Reid tried but his crossing most of the time would have disgraced the Kent County league.

Why do our players lack desire compared to others? I think they must be on comparitively high basics so simply do not have the hunger to give their all for the win or draw bonus. For example Moutouakill "earns" £8k a week for nothing and Christensen "earned" £5k a week for doing nothing. Others will be on comparable basic money. There are exceptions. Miguel Llera is the kind of character to give his all regardless of the circumstances for example but too many of them hide when it gets a little bit tough. Last night Brighton really wanted it we didn't.

Why play one of our few natural finishers, Bailey, in front of the back 4 thus neutralising a large part of our attacking threat? Racon was largely a waste of space. Semedo or Spring could have done Bailey's job and Bailey could have replaced Racon.

As regards the general air of despondency. I've had the pi** taken out of me for supporting Charlton since 1963 to a greater or lesser extent so am well used to ridicule, embarrassment and disappointment. It goes with the territory when you are a Charlton fan. The difference now though is that, having tasted the highs, do I want a long no-hope period in division 3 or worse? I'm not sure I can take it now. Back in the early seventies with Barry Endean et al or early eighties I knew no better and it was only a drop of one division. I know I am in a minority on here but I actually enjoyed watching Premiership football at The Valley when Alan Curbishley was manager and it depresses me to think that I probably won't see top level football at The Valley again in my lifetime.

It is a real struggle for me to cobble together the money for my season tickets each year. I'm not sure, at this moment, that I want to make the effort anymore.

Call me a plastic Premiership gloryhunter if you like but I'm just honestly stating how I feel.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Totally unacceptable performance again by nearly all the players. LLera was the only player who tried (even with his couple of mistakes), the other players shocking all over the park.

Bailey's passing AGAIN shocking, giving the ball away all the time for the last 5/6 games! He might score goals but a captain he aint! After both goals there was no leadership from 'the Captain' or the bench, just heads down and body language devoid of any GUTS or passion.

Our team and manager need a good, hard kick in the balls - shame they don't have any!

Could Elliott be questioned on being beaten TWICE from distance (positioning) - Hard to tell from my angle?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Not angry, just bemused by it all. How can the same XI from saturday, play like they've never met each other 3 days later. As eaststand mike said we were outdone in every aspect.

Llera i thought had an ok game last night but he should not be in the side ahead of Sodje. Any striker with a bit of movement or pace leaves him for dead. His fellow defenders and Elliott surely can't have confidence in him. And i think we need Sodje's ability attacking corners.

Sam - woeful last night. Should've been hauled off for Wagstaff after about an hour. I wouldn't play him at Southend, give Wagstaff a try.
    On the other flank Reid didn't fare much better but he at least looked like he was trying and will go past a man now and again.

Mooney and Akpo - i don't think i've seen a worse strikeforce at this club since we were forced to play Kim Grant alongside Phil Chapple for a few games many years ago. Sodje is the new Mike Small and Mooney is just not good enough.
    For all the debates and many threads for and against them, talk about their attitudes and what they bring to the team, i geniunely feel that we have loaned out 2 better strikers in Dickson and McLeod than what we were left with last night. We could discuss it all day but i am 100% convinced that they would score more goals for us than Sodje and Mooney ever will.
    And what does McKenzie have to do to get a start?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]Could Elliott be questioned on being beaten TWICE from distance (positioning) - Hard to tell from my angle?

To be fair, the first one took a massive deflection, and the mud helped with the 2nd although it was a great strike