Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ultimate mobile phone - iPhone

12346»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]The new iPhone OS was announced the other day:

iPhone OS 4

Does anyone know whether there's going to be a new iPhone model in addition to the OS upgrade? I'm eligible for an upgrade, but not sure whether I should do so at the moment. If a new model is coming out this summer, it would be a bit of a wasted upgrade. I realise that I need the 3Gs to take advantage of some of the new features.

There is a rumoured iPhone HD to be coming out in the summer in the US but probably not here until the end of the year (remember they have just released the iPad so they'll let that furore die down first).

If you want to wait for a HD output and a flash on the camera then wait!

Thanks, WSS. When I googled for "iphone next gen" the other day I got nothing more than unspecified iPhone 4G rumours. Today there are mentions of this iPhone HD. Might wait a few weeks to see if a few more techie websites 'confirm' it.
  • Options
    Usually on the ball with rumours and news:

http://mashable.com/apple/
  • Options
    I've been told from a reliable source at CPW that its going to be released July/August if not a little earlier. Am torn between going down the iPhone or Android route at the mo, so have been holding off my upgrade which has been due since February. I was offered a 32gb 3GS on upgrade for free by T-Mobile but thought best to wait given the release date. Dont want to be tieing myself to old technology for a couple of years :-)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    Does anyone know whether there's going to be a new iPhone model in addition to the OS upgrade? I'm eligible for an upgrade, but not sure whether I should do so at the moment. If a new model is coming out this summer, it would be a bit of a wasted upgrade. I realise that I need the 3Gs to take advantage of some of the new features.

In short don't upgrade. Apple WILL update the hardware this year (it's basically a license to print money, even if the differences are minor eg the iphone 3gs over the iphone 3g), with strong rumours (based on inspecting the code of the new OS) of a front facing camera amongst the usual things such as more RAM, faster processors, etc. This is a good site, which is very reliable, and they say definately hold out for another 3 months or so:

Now is a really bad time to buy an iPhone 3g

And JohnBoy, if you haven't got an iPhone, at least wait for the announcement of the new hardware to see what you'd be missing out on if you went the Android route. There's the Apple Premium as with the macbook so there's obviously the price difference, but as the current one is such a better bit of kit than any Android offering I've seen, wait before commiting
  • Options
    glad i read that, was gonna get an upgrade to the 3g on friday. think i might wait.....
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    possible 4G iphone pics ?

http://www.engadget.com/photos/iphone-4-hd-hands-on/#2903372

and more details

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/18/iphone-4g-proof/
  • Options
    I'm in a similar position my contract runs out in July. Went into o2 shop as I could upgrade now but there is definitely something new coming out pretty soon so I'm going to wait till it does and decide from there :-)
  • Options
    Having had my 'i ' phone since November it is not the wonder phone people make out in my experience!
    The WAP features are somewhat slow and connectivity are somewhat 'vague' at times.

Internet connection /email is probably the best feature with other apps, and the music, I guess!
    But they seem very flimsy, I know lot's of people who have had to had 'replaced' , going back to apple speaking to a kid who knows FA and does not even own one themselves but are 'genuis experts'.....and O2 seem very keen to pass you on to apple if there is an issue!.... like 'you have used this in the rain!'.....

I probably do not need all the frills and gimmicks that people seem to want from a phone, but could not use the thing in Shropshire/Wales last week due to coverage! something akin to the early 90's.

I have used apple computers for 15 years, but I have to say that despite the cheap deal I have £27 a month deal for me is at best ok!

The battery life is low, ( yes done all the little tricks) cannot see this lasting the 18 month of the contract, and everyone that has bought this 3g has had to go back and get a replacement, during the contract!

The camera is pretty poor as well. Of course I am sure it will all be better with the new phone, at a price I am sure...... Apple seem to develop there products through customer feedback.
    I know that people love the latest 'toy' ..'app crap' fashion icon..... but I want to use a phone for ....... making and receiving phone calls surely should be the first , basic issue with a phone!

I am sure if you want 3d tv on a phone wonderful...... but at a price, and part of that is also the trade off as mentioned above...
  • Options

good analysis on it....Apple's next iphone

looks good. no doubt there be a few surprises in the OS too :)
  • Options
    I was told by a friend in America, the network who hold the iPhone there, I believe it's Verizon, have cancelled all holidays/vacations in June. Apparently, that is a big clue the network are going to be heavily involved in something 'big', such as the launch of a new iPhone.

She also told me that the same theatre/convention hall that Apple use for their announcements is booked up by the same name used for the iPad launch.

This could all be rubbish but if you were thinking of upgrading your iPhone soon, I'd leave it a few months just in case.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone
  • Options
    Thanks for posting that Rothko.
    I really enjoyed reading it.
  • Options
    Can't wait for the next incarnation of this:

istone_iphone.jpg
  • Options
    Nice one Leroy! Pretty sure the stone has longer battery life as well.
  • Options
    The iphone is a great toy.

As a phone it is second rate.
  • Options
    Just to put the i phone into context........
    The BBC has recently ended it's original deal with O2, ( staff partner deal) as a preffered business customer with apple, and despite the 'spin ' being put on it, it might have to do with the issue that over 200 have returned within the contract. You can still purchase these but on a less favourable deal, money back, which you can probably get by other 'negotiations'.....
    So you might want to bear in mind when the latest 'toy' comes out sure it will be full of slick gimmicks, and the battery may live more than 48 hours...... BUT.... If it is so robust why not guarantee it during the contract life!.... or is it like most Apple kit 'slick' on looks, not so good on IT support and customer service!. Just a word of caution
  • Options
    be careful when you're on your lunchtime drinks, this one will probably cost this guy his job.....:p
    How Apple Lost The New iPhone
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Marco[/cite]This could all be rubbish but if you were thinking of upgrading your iPhone soon, I'd leave it a few months just in case.
    I think they do/will release a new one every year around the summer so good chance it is true I'd say.
  • Options
    the fella that lost it is gonna get so much grief it's untrue

not due an upgrade myself until the end of the year as I got the 3gs the day it came out . I love everything about my iphone except the battery life but I can live with that no probs as Im usually in the van or car and have a car charger . Thing is I've yet to find someone that has a smartphone where if you use all the features the battery life is anything other than poor
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]the fella that lost it is gonna get so much grief it's untrue
    Not at all - that was a deliberate leak to get buzz going. Tech companies do it all the time - then protest and moan about it in the press. It's a known marketing technique in the tech industry.