Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benson Deal Done - Rumoured

Comments

• Options
    I must admit I have been able to see the positives on all of the other signings but on this one I am a little confused.

Whilst he has scored a fair few goals in the past couple of years I really don't see that he is worth this kind of money (if true) and from what I've read about him he doesn't seem to offer much else apart from goalscoring. He doesn't appear to be a utility type player (though neither is Abbot admittedly) but I'd havethought our more immediate requirement is for a small nippy striker to feed off Abbot

If we have signed Benson does that make it more likely that we'll resort to playing long ball?
  • Options
    Worth the money if we go up though.....Danny Ward of Bolton is going out on loan this week.....
  • Options
    Also - I'd hope its something like £50k up front then the rest after promotion and/or scoring 25 goals
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]It'll be hard on whoever gets dropped but we need competition for places and the squad needs strengthening so this would be a welcome addition. I still think we're two perm players and a few loans short of what we need for the season but Parky has done well so far so I'll trust him on Benson.[/quote]

2 Perms short of a keegan?
  • Options
    With the greatest of respect, Parky knows more about football than every single person on here. You've only got to look at the Varney thread to see how opinions vary and its laughable to see people writing off Benson already!
  • Options
    If we do drop Waggy/Reid/Martin for Benson at least it will give us an option off the bench...something we lacked dearly on Saturday.
  • Options
    If we got Danny Ward I may cry but he has a host of champ clubs after him.
  • Options
    Doesn't offer much else apart from goalscoring??? Given the "strikers" we have ploughed through since D. Bent departed, one would have thought that would be brilliant. We've had strikers who bring others into play, strikers who win the headers from our hoofing and strikers who couldn't score in a brothel. There should always be room in a squad for a goal-scoring striker! Bring it on.
  • Options
    I just dont see where he is going to play not that he wont bring anything to our team

He is not a big strong flick on target man he is a crafty guy a bit like Mooney and there is my problem who would i say is the better of the 2

If anything Benno tries to do more than just be a crafty 6 yd footballer and he does come alive in the box

But he goes missing far too often and we are not pumping crosses across the area and missing we are not creating those opportunites

it is in them games that Benno went missing games where oportunities are few and far between

I cant see us spending taht amount of cash TBH it would proberly be paid in add ons if it is that much

i can see this splitting the fans more than francis

Good luck to him and Parky they both are going to need this to work straight away
  • Options
    The Dagenham FM researcher has said this will go through today.

Sounds like he's "only" a poacher, but perhaps if we use him the right way he'll score goals.

Not as exciting as the likes of Reid coming in but lets give him a chance.
    Yeah Benno will be yours for £230k today. Wages approx £3k per week I hear.

I had to fit his CA into L2 ratings and to be honest, he didn't have a good season last season. I know he scored 22 but they mainly came at the start and end of the season - in the middle when we were struggling he was anonymous.

He's a strange player. He looks gangly, he scuffs his goals quite often, but then he definitely knows where the net is. If you create chances he will score goals, but I can't see him carving much out for himself at this level. He is much quicker than he looks, and he wins a fair bit in the air although his headed finishing is poor. I think he's only ever scored about 4 goals for us from outside the box too.

We'll be very sorry to see him go but it seems he's put in a transfer request despite the fact we've taken him from the Olympian League at 25 to League 1 at 30. We'll definitely miss his goals - we're signing Tresor Kandol to replace him so we'll see how that goes.

He'll always be a Daggers legend tho.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Worth the money if we go up though.....Danny Ward of Bolton is going out on loan this week.....

After his success in league one last season, i'd have thought he'll be going to a championship club this time round.
  • Options
    The fee is too high, but then it may work out and he may score the goals to get us promoted.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

I had to fit his CA into L2 ratings and to be honest, he didn't have a good season last season. I know he scored 22 but they mainly came at the start and end of the season - in the middle when we were struggling he was anonymous.

He's a strange player. He looks gangly, he scuffs his goals quite often, but then he definitely knows where the net is. If you create chances he will score goals, but I can't see him carving much out for himself at this level. He is much quicker than he looks, and he wins a fair bit in the air although his headed finishing is poor. I think he's only ever scored about 4 goals for us from outside the box too.

Summs Benno up for me perfectly

A lot of money that for Paul Benson
  • Options
    I had to fit his CA into L2 ratings

Wot?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]People go on about a quick striker, it is something I'd like us to have as an option, but where do you find a good one at this level? Dickson, McLeod and Fleetwood were all quick and signed while in higher divisions, but all had big weaknesses in their game. They either didn't have a good enough all round game, the finishing to go with it, or the brain to use their pace.

Where do you find someone quick, but not too small and/or weak, a good finisher, hard working and able to keep possession. Last season showed how hard it is to find a quick goalscorer, most of the top goalscorers in League One were big strong strikers. Beckford had pace but he is also 6 ft 2 and now in the Premier League. Simeon Jackson was one of the pacey type but Norwich would have paid good money for him.

Another thing why do we assume Benson is slow but strong and plays with his back to goal? Big doesn't always mean he plays like a targetman.

Not saying he's the right signing but very few know much about him, me included.

All good points. I would add the £230K is not a lot of money for a striker, under contract and who has a soild goalscoring record. I know he a lot younger but compare it with the fees being talked about for the lad down at Bournemouth (who's name temporarily escapes me).

Barnard supposedly cost about £200k last season but he was bought from a financial basket case of a club, all the other strikers who scored goals last season cost more than that, or would have done it we'd signed them. Fleetwood cost £150K after one good season in non-league football.

I'd like pace up front, but maybe we're better setup to create chances for a fiox in the box type - we don't have a player who is going to pick out endless through balls for an on the shoulders striker. We do have pacy energetic wingers who will get crosses into the box though, perhaps that better suits a player who will get on the end of crosses (Abbott) and a striker who will pick up bits and pieces/half clearances etc (Benson?).

I have no idea really, as I've never seen him play but just because us fans can't see it, doesn't mean Parky hasn't thought this through of have a clear plan for him. (if it's even true)
  • Options
    Can I just check, so I know where I am at the next home game, he's rubbish and Parky is a front bottom? That's the party line ain't it?
    1404capaldiES23_415x770.jpg
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]
    I had to fit his CA into L2 ratings

Wot?
    Sorry, FM talk. His current ability (CA) is rated as a League Two player. That's partly down to the guidelines, he seems to be a poacher type player so if he scores goals at League One level he can be rated higher later on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]The Dagenham FM researcher has said this will go through today.

Sounds like he's "only" a poacher, but perhaps if we use him the right way he'll score goals.

Not as exciting as the likes of Reid coming in but lets give him a chance.

We'll be very sorry to see him go but it seems he's put in a transfer request despite the fact we've taken him from the Olympian League at 25 to League 1 at 30. We'll definitely miss his goals - we're signing Tresor Kandol to replace him so we'll see how that goes.

He'll always be a Daggers legend tho.

So on the negative side, if we're struggling in games he'll go missing. He won't score from outside the box and he won't create much for himself.
    But on a positive note, he had a bad season but still scored 22 goals, that's more than some get in a really good season! I thought Burton had a good season last year and he only got 13. Also if we give him the ball in the box he's likely to stick it away, he's quite decent in the air and is quicker than he looks.

Let's wait and see what our OS says about the fee before we judge him. I'm sure it won't be as much as 230k up front.
  • Options
    I've never seen him play so can't judge him. Be amazed if the fee is 230k up-front. With add-on's incl promotion maybe but I doubt the initial fee will exceed around 125k. If so then ok, if it is 230k up-front then that is excessive for a 30 yr old with no League 1 experience. Would rather sign someone younger whose game can improve and will have a sell-on value.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite] we don't have a player who is going to pick out endless through balls for an on the shoulders striker.

Quite so!
    It's been bugging me that so many are calling for a "pacy, off the last mans shoulder" striker.
    Great, but you do realise Danny Murphy and (spit) Darren Ambrose left years ago.
    I suppose Martin may have the vision to play them in, but like you EA I don't think we are set up get the best out of this type of player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I've never seen him play so can't judge him. Be amazed if the fee is 230k up-front. With add-on's incl promotion maybe but I doubt the initial fee will exceed around 125k. If so then ok, if it is 230k up-front then that is excessive for a 30 yr old with no League 1 experience. Would rather sign someone younger whose game can improve and will have a sell-on value.
    Agree I'm sure that'll include add-ons.

Problem is someone younger would most likely cost more.
  • Options
    We paid 700k for a (nearly) 29 year old Clive Mendonca and that worked out alright. I accept that Benson is 31 in October though.

I'm refusing to write him off til I've seen him play. Chances are we're more likely to see him in a Dag & Red shirt than our own, given the fee being talked about sounds a little high.
  • Options
    this transfer just reminds me of when we over paid for andy gray, i will only be happy if parky can find a player called hedges to partner him up top!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]we don't have a player who is going to pick out endless through balls for an on the shoulders striker.

Quite so!
    It's been bugging me that so many are calling for a "pacy, off the last mans shoulder" striker.
    Great, but you do realise Danny Murphy and (spit) Darren Ambrose left years ago.
    I suppose Martin may have the vision to play them in, but like you EA I don't think we are set up get the best out of this type of player.
    And then where would you play Martin. You couldn't play Martin behind a small quick striker, we'd end up with no presence up front. Pace isn't much use if teams defend deep leaving no room to get in behind.
  • Options
    Really don't understand all the negativity about this signing (if it happens) as it is obvious to all that we need squad strengthening, especially up front. He may well be the best available for the cash we have and we should all be behind what Parky is trying to do, given all the recent upheaval and the great start (points wise) to the start of the new season. Pitman / Le Fondre were quoted at £600k each by their clubs so who are people expecting for £230k if that's what we have ? NLA is entitled to his opinion as he has seen a fair bit of him, but Parky must have seen him a fair bit too and obviously takes a different view. The rest of us who know little about him, should just wait a while and see for ourselves before we start drawing conclusions and bemoaning the fact that we look once again to be boosting the squad.
  • Options
    I'll wait for Henry to tell me its on the OS before I believe it.
  • Options
    It's just about opinions mate i will be 100% behind Benno if and when he comes..

i have done some stuff that he has been involved in over the last 2 years so i think he is a top guy and the sort of charecter that i like not pretensious or precious and has done alot of things for my daggers pal and his little lad

I think he would score but i dont see where he fits and for Benno to score we must create he is not going to have the gulie to create his own wonder goals
  • Options
    What price this is an "undisclosed fee" if and when it is formally announced?.

Suspect it will be £230,000 deal. Promotion, appearances & goals being contributing factors.
  • Options
    Agree with whoever it was that said we aren't creating chances so will he improve us.

Also agree that in hindsight, 230k isn't that much for a goalscorer. Then again, Mcleod and Gray were proven goalscorers. Well willing to give him a big chance because our season rests on this guy really.

What remains to be seen is whether or not we'll have a good enough strike force. Our defence and midfield looks really good to me, especially on paper, but our strikeforce of Benson and Abbott is far from the best in the league imo. Wednesday have Clinton Morrisson, Marcus Tudgay, Paul Heffernan and Neil Mellor.
  • Options
    Blimey it only seems like yesterday I was reading about this bloke in the local paper scoring for fun in some poxy Essex League and now he is about to sign for my club.