Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benson Deal Done - Rumoured

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Ladies, ladies .... Please.
  • Options
    Benson, for the level we are at is a Mendonca, and he never ran channels did he?

He is a grafter, he gets in the right areas and can finish. I don't know how economically but having a centre forward in the right areas will attract our wide players to put the ball in those areas. Abbot looks like he knows where to put himself too. He got decent service at Dagenham from Green and the other midfielder who's name totally escapes me at the minute. He played up top with another grafter too, I think he will be an excellent signing and if we are laying out cash that is the only way we will prise him away from Dagenham whatever the size of the fee we have to spend something this window on a proven centre forward as the supply of season-long loans for other clubs' players seems to have dried out.
  • Options
    Bit extreme to compare Benson to a Charlton legend!

Thing I'm not liking about all this is that where does Martin fit in? Kid looks a cracking signing for this level but I think he'll pushed aside.

Ideal world, we'd have Benson and Martin or Abbott and Martin, not Benson and Abbott. Too similar for my liking. But I can't see Parky doing this..
  • Options
    If this is true, reminds me of when we signed Andy Gray a bit. Is an awful lot of money for an unproven scorer in this division if it turns out to be true, just find this kinda decision kinda odd from Parky.
  • Options
    geezers not even signed yet and is being written off by those who know best but have barely seen him play (if at all). priceless.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]geezers not even signed yet and is being written off by those who know best but have barely seen him play (if at all). priceless.

Quite. Add to that the acrimony here over a rumored signing and it just gets more absurd.

I am not sold on Parky or his man management skills, but what is the point of apocalyptic moaning about potential signings? It is his team and there really is no other option but to get behind him and every player he is able to recruit for this campaign. If it doesn't go well, I (and everyone else) will have plenty of time to be miserable... why do that before things have actually gone pear shaped?
  • Options
    It's more to do with the rumoured money we are spending on a player who is 30 with no experience at this level. That's what people are concerned about.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sir Chrissy[/cite]Ideal world, we'd have Benson and Martin or Abbott and Martin, not Benson and Abbott. Too similar for my liking. But I can't see Parky doing this..
    Are they too similar though? Were Mendonca and Hunt too similar? Has been said Benson is not a big strong targetman. I wouldn't write Abbott and Benson off as a partnership just yet.

Having this problem of where does everyone fit is exactly what we needed on Saturday. No point bringing in poor players who are happy to be back up, we want players who can fight for a place in the team and give Parky different options.
  • Options
    The more you think about it the more it makes sense.

The biggest thing for me is it is a signing that shows what level we are at and that is a sad thing to realise.

But when you look at the fact he has scored loads of goals in the league below us.

He won't need to move house his home life will be settled and un disturbed

He will be able to focus on just football

He may relish the chance to play at a bigger club

For him to play well we will have to play a pleasing style of football

230k is a lot of money but it will have been budgeted for

Big risk but to be bold you need to be brave and bravery will get us out of the league

Good luck to benno and parky if this pays off
  • Options
    Big risk indeed, however if my memory serves me right, mendonca was a gamble. We paid a lot of money for him (£700K+) that we really didn't have and look what happened.

I would welcome the purchase because it will give the squad more competition for places. I is also a positive step as it is a striker that other clubs will be weary of, after all he did score quite a few last term, abliet a divison below.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is it on the OS yet?

No, so let's wait until it is and what the fee actually is until we get all worked up about it.

Plenty of fish in the sea, Benson is just one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Is it on the OS yet?

No, so let's wait until it is and what the fee actually is until we get all worked up about it.

oooooooh more hints Henry???????
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Is it on the OS yet?

oooooooh more hints Henry???????

No, think he could well be one of the three players we want but it's in the Sun FFS.

When Matt Wright tells me it's true I'll believe it.
  • Options
    if parky has enquired about and bid for 30-40 players and Benson is the one that comes, then either he's the best we could attract or Parky really rates him. nevertheless, lets give the guy a chance... he could be the next Mendonca or Andy Hunt.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: siblers[/cite]If this is true, reminds me of when we signed Andy Gray a bit. Is an awful lot of money for an unproven scorer in this division if it turns out to be true, just find this kinda decision kinda odd from Parky.

Isn't that what football is about though? Taking gambles.
    All through the divisions you see teams taking gambles, Man City paying £22m for Balotelli who is unproven in England is a gamble. Bristol City paying 800k for Pitman who has only played 2 games in league one but is now jumping to the championship is a gamble. Millwall paying 150k for Morison from non league was a gamble but it paid off. Us paying 150k for Fleetwood from non league was a gamble that didn't. Basically some pay off and some don't. We just have to trust that Parky knows what he's doing.
    What we can't deny is that Benson has scored goals at every level he's played at, and there is nothing to suggest he can't step up one more level.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]if parky has enquired about and bid for 30-40 players

Parky may have had a short list of 30-40 players - but he wouldn't have bid for anywhere near that number.

He's already told us of his strategy; he selects his principle target, which invariably ".....takes time to bring a new signing over the line". (For example, Martin was enquired about at the end of May, but couldn't be signed until 6 August).

At the same time he makes approaches for 2 or 3 other players for the same position, as options to pursue if he loses out on signing his first choice target. That way he always has a back up player ready to progress as the next best signing for that position.

And doesn't have to start again from scratch, as of course, it invariably "....takes time to bring a new signing over the line".
  • Options
    Well, where is Mr Benson?

Sort it out, Parky .....or I'll set NLA on you!

;o)
  • Options
    If we get benson it will be interesting to see who he drops. Obviously waggy will be the one most likely to move with martin going on the left. 2 in 2 for waggy though and decent performances to match would surely make parky consider keeping him in the team. So IMO wouldn't want waggy dropped. Martin can't be dropped. Like him playing behind the striker(s). Can't drop reidy. Obv semedo can't be dropped. Neither can mac. How about a 3 at the back. Would this work? Would like to see it but not so sure it would work. It's frustrating to think if we do get benson who can be dropped but it's a good thing aswell to know someone can make an impact from the bench
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sir Chrissy[/cite]Bit extreme to compare Benson to a Charlton legend!

Thing I'm not liking about all this is that where does Martin fit in? Kid looks a cracking signing for this level but I think he'll pushed aside.

Ideal world, we'd have Benson and Martin or Abbott and Martin, not Benson and Abbott. Too similar for my liking. But I can't see Parky doing this..

My understanding is that Martin is a loan not a signing so presumably we need other options should he be recalled.
  • Options
    Probably been mentioned a thousand times but whens the transfer deadline?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    midnight, 31st August. Loan window opens again about a week later.
  • Options
    All the attacking options will play large chunks of the season regardless.

Parky has said back in pre-season that he wants to be able to ring the changes, change tactics, have impact from the bench, etc. Yet on the other hand, have a ready replacement on the bench so he doesn't have to change tactics, just the player, if the formation is working but a tiring or injured player needs replacing.

So at this stage, he may sign Benson and he plays his first couple of games from the bench.
    It only takes an injury or suspension, for team changes to dictate who drops out and who comes in.

Nice problem for Parky to have.
  • Options
    Actually it's 5pm 31st August ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]Actually it's 5pm 31st August ;)

stand corrected (if true) ;-)
  • Options
    i thought it was midnight as well
  • Options
    6pm, 31st August - so say Sky.
  • Options
    on tv last night they said it was 6pm on 31st -
    we certainly need cover - our bench wasnt very comforting on saturday should we get any injuries.
    As for benson - no idea ( well at least I'm honest!)
  • Options
    D & R fan at work says he's heard the deal is off as we still can't agree a fee and we are now looking elsewhere.
  • Options
    I have heard that there is influence and respect to John Still nowt to do with Fee
  • Options
    I heard that the deal is on but it's dependent on us also securing the signing of a young lad called Hedges. The pair have a long history but Mike Basset is now stalling the deal