Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benson Deal Done - Rumoured

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]It's just about opinions mate i will be 100% behind Benno if and when he comes..

i have done some stuff that he has been involved in over the last 2 years so i think he is a top guy and the sort of charecter that i like not pretensious or precious and has done alot of things for my daggers pal and his little lad

I think he would score but i dont see where he fits and for Benno to score we must create he is not going to have the gulie to create his own wonder goals
    I get the feeling that's the type of striker Parky wants. We've got a big strong target man in Abbott, Martin to play in hole and link the play, Sodje as nuisance and Benson as a pure goalscorer.

Like you say for that type of striker to do well we have to create chances.
  • Options
    If it ever does go on the OS I want a headline like:

Benson Hedges His Bets.

I don't care if it has no relevance...
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And thats where i wonder who will get dropped or will we go 3 at the back

this throws up so many otions and issues

players to drop and systems to play

if we are signing benno we will have to have 2 wingers to create that means we can only have martin in the whole if we play 3 at the back

decisions decisions decisions

Sounds lika a plan B could be taking palce
  • Options
    Expect plenty of long balls and crosses for a goal poacher. It will mean other players having to pile in the box too.
  • Options
    Parky has never played 3 at the back, can't see that happening.

It's the sort of problem a manager wants. We didn't have enough options off the bench on Saturday. Was said on here plenty of times and Parky has said it himself (just gone up on the OS in fact).

Different players for different games and situations. Like Colchester at home last year, Sodje started against a physical side. In other games Mooney started to offer something different.
  • Options
    intresting times ahead
  • Options
    Once Semedo is back i'd drop Mcormack for home games and try Martin in the middle. Between Mcormack, Racon and Semedo there isn't enough creativity and in the middle you'd get Martin on the ball a lot more. I accept you'd lose a bit of security but you have to be able to play and create at home. We didn't create anywhere near enough chances to win a game on Saturday.
  • Options
    Options, it's all about having options
    cadbury's%20options.jpg
  • Options
    I wouldn't drop Mccormack, he's looking really good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    what a difference a month makes. On 23rd July we were all probably shitting ourselves that we couldnt field a side!...now we cant decided who to drop.
  • Options
    I will blow my balls if he drops mac
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]I will blow my balls if he drops mac

Wow! Too much info!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Parky has never played 3 at the back, can't see that happening.

It's the sort of problem a manager wants. We didn't have enough options off the bench on Saturday. Was said on here plenty of times and Parky has said it himself (just gone up on the OS in fact).

Different players for different games and situations. Like Colchester at home last year, Sodje started against a physical side. In other games Mooney started to offer something different.

True, but if we're spending 230k on Benson then will there be a pressure for him to start? I can't see him being particularly happy with being rotated in the same way as Akpo and Mooney, who probably both accepted they were loan players who had to prove themselves. Benson seems to have been Parky's big target for a while and looks like being signed for a significant sum. I can't see him playing a bit piece role and I'm sure he will start - hence the question arises of what the team shape will look like when he does.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I've never seen him play so can't judge him. Be amazed if the fee is 230k up-front. With add-on's incl promotion maybe but I doubt the initial fee will exceed around 125k. If so then ok, if it is 230k up-front then that is excessive for a 30 yr old with no League 1 experience. Would rather sign someone younger whose game can improve and will have a sell-on value.

Problem is someone younger would most likely cost more.

Exactly, Brett Pitman is younger and scored 20+ goals in league 2 last season and he's just gone for 800k plus add ons.
  • Options
    IF indeed it goes ahead as now seems likely, I too reckon that fee might well depend on a few outcomes. If he's the man Parky wants, let's get behind him; we haven't had a genuine goal-scorer for too long. I understand NLA's concerns (and he knows a lot more about him than me) but it doesn't necessarily mean upsetting the current forwards. As stated elsewhere, we were sorely missing attacking options on the bench v Oldham. There are likely to be games at home where we dominate but can't quite make the breakthrough. Which ever combo has started, changing tack or withdrawing a tiring player (eg Reid recently) might just make a telling difference.

As for pace, I agree with Scoham - just where does this prolific nippy little worker come from for a price we can afford? Doesn't have to be all long ball either. Two good wingers and a target man should really mean chances fall in the box, where ideally a proven* goal-scorer comes alive. Doesn't sound as though Benson's a lanky back-to-goal type anyway. Hopefully the pressure to score enough to get us in contention won't fall solely on his shoulders either; we have after all got a big No.9 who's notched a couple this season, plus two wingers who know where the net is.
    *Admittedly he's not at our current level.
  • Options
    I think most people seem to lack any idea on the strategic element that Parky is trying to bring to the squad, and that any team needs. We don't need a small pacey striker, so we can go down the cliched little and large route. It would be cliched nice but what's more important is to enable Abbot to rest, and replace him if out of sorts/injured. Burton desperately needed a rest last term, and we couldn't afford to when he was fit.

From my brief glimpses of Benson he troubles defenders and can win headers. I don't know if he's as physical as Abbot, according to nla he isn't, but it does seem that he makes defenders drop back and a bit wary. We all know Akpo will try but struggles at being the main man up front. Benson hopefully takes the pressure off of other players. Just a quick look at assists shows he got 7 in the past few seasons. Rarely does a lower league short pacey striker give you that... barring maybe a Bellamy! If Abbott get's injured a short pacey striker get's us nowhere.

I seem to remember Hunt and Mendonca lacking pace, but yet they were the best cf partnership I've seen at the club. Newton and Robinson provided it more than enough. With Francis, Jackson, Waggy, Reid, Mcormack, Martin, Benson and Abbott all capable of assisting five plus goals there's a wealth of options.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Agree with you there paddy, I'd imagine they'll be a fair rump fee with a big promotion add on.

As for demanding to be in the side I'd doubt it. The guy is probably desperate to prove himself coming late to the game, but also wise enough to understand he needs to grab his opportunity when it arrises. From what nla says the guy's pretty humble and with a good attitude.
  • Options
    Can't say I'm filled with excitement but I'm not going to be jumping on anyone's back. I'd be happy to be proved wrong. Everyone get's a clean slate with me when they pull on a Charlton shirt, I'll judge them on their performances after. Parky clearly sees something in him that can add to the squad and he picks the team so I'll go his judgment rather than anyone elses!
  • Options
    I dont think it will be forwards that get upset by this signing

look at the team that played Is likely to play saturday

Elliot
    Jackson
    Daily
    Doc
    Francis

Reid
    Semedo
    Mac
    Waggy

Abott
    Martin

I can not see him leaving Martin of Abbot aout but i can see him moving Martin on to the wing now that means Reid and Waggy may have to give way

Because Benson needs Service,

Abott will harry and hassle defenders and Martin can create so neither of those deserve to be dropped IMO

Waggy 2 in 2 cant be dropped surely (but I think he will)

Reid no way can we drop Reidy surely

so where does Benson Fit in a 442

he doesnt
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One man who won't be overjoyed is Mr Sodje.
  • Options
    The Dagenham fans already have a thread on their site called :Charlton fans already dislike Benno. They must have read this thread.
  • Options
    I just don't think the fee makes him an automatic choice for the first start (IF he signs!). Could well be introduced from the bench (less pressure too) and even then only if the situation justifies it. As for demanding to play - I very much doubt it; he's jumping two divisions in a very short time and sounds very reasonable from what NLA says. Of course RM would expect him to see plenty of match time if he stumps up for Parky but that needn't be from day one. Tactics, form, and the dreaded injuries / suspensions should soon ensure everyone gets a go.
  • Options
    Let me get this a bit clear...loads on here slated Alan macs signing, and also put the boot into Solly especially when compared with Francis, and now this potential new geezer is going to be crap. I think I'd better judge for myself with my own four eyes.
  • Options
    The more i think about it the more i think that it could work but it is really dependant on service not just width play but ball to feet and that should mean the style of play will be good i just am wondering where it will fall into place.

I think that this is the defining point of our season and it needs to be correct

I Like Benno i really do i just never thought that he would be playing at my club and that is out of order because it is really not being fair to him

but i cant help how i feel , i know his personality is right his application is right maybe it is a realisation that we are in league 3
  • Options
    NLA - Parky certainly won't be dropping Reid.
    Wagstaff won't last a whole season as he'll need to be protected and rested at times.

A few weeks ago we were worried about not having a team to put out and now we're moaning about who will have to make way. It's a long 46 game season and the squad will all get games.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]One man who won't be overjoyed is Mr Sodje.

I'm happy, he can be no worse than akpo
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: covered end junior[/cite]The Dagenham fans already have a thread on their site called :Charlton fans already dislike Benno. They must have read this thread.
    One of the comments is interesting

I like the comment about still needing a pacy striker to run the channels - I must have been seeing things every time Benno has done that.
  • Options
    I agree i cant see Reid making way

can see Waggy though and after scoring 2 in 2 that again puts pressure on Benson that is similar to Francis

nice postion to be in and i believe it shows we will be trying to play fast flowing football and will be very exciting

Going to cause some grief on here i reckon

If yyou sit back and think of systems and formations then it really is exciting
  • Options
    Must be strange for you NLA, and it'll be great if he does do well. Nice to have input from someone who's actually seen him anyway - just hope your original assessment was wrong!