Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Linguistic Pet Hates

edited September 2010 in Not Sports Related
Anyone else got any of these. Here's a few of mine:

- Managers asking for 110%.
- People using the @ sign to mean "to". At and to are not the same thing. When did all this nonsense start?
- "To die for", unless you're talking about your kids or some deeply held beliefs not very much is worth dying for, especially not bloody cream cakes.
- Glass half empty/full - there are two perfectly good words optimist and pessimist, why are people seemingly incapable of using them?

Comments

• Options
    My boyfriend hates people who start sentences with "so".
    I hate using "like" instead of just pausing before you say something, stupid twonks.
  • Options
    mispronouncement of words, praps, hystirics .........
  • Options
    Not necessarily people who can't spell in general (though that's f***ing annoying - especially when they blame it on dyslexia (99% of people who claim to be dyslexic are just f***ing stupid)) but definitely people who think that there's no difference between "your" and "you're"; or "there" and "They're"; or "bought" and "brought"; or (my absolute pet hate at the moment) "We're" or "we'll"

It IS important. It DOES matter. And it DOES make you look a moron.
  • Options
    At this moment in time, FFS...just say NOW!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Going forward
    FFS
    Any sweeping generalisation which is obviously nonsense
    Denigrating others - we all do it but I like the saying 'It is better to find one fault in yourself than a thousand faults in other people'
  • Options
    People that say "question" before asking a question.
  • Options
    Less when it should be fewer......
  • Options
    Sorry another one........definitely......instead of ...yes.
  • Options
    By far my biggest is:-

"Not being funny,but......."

Well you are being f****** funny you ignorant piece of s***. Grrrrr
  • Options
    People saying 'I mean' when talking - my assumption is that, if you are saying it, you mean it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    People who say "obviously" when 99 times out of a hundred it isn't obvious!
  • Options
    He's instead of his

Rio Ferdinand does it all the time on twitter (despite me correcting him on it)
  • Options
    Know what I mean!

At the end of the day!

Sentences that rise in tone to make a statement sound like a question!
  • Options
    people trying to look clever by using long words, but not knowing what they mean and saying them in the wrong context.
  • Options
    misuse of the word 'literally'

the 'k' that seems to have appeared at the end of 'something', 'nothing' etc
  • Options
    People saying 'haitch' - there's no such word, it's aitch you morons. I find it particularly annoying at work where our last two HR directors have habitually referred to Haitch-R. They wouldn't have got the job if I'd interviewed them, I'd use it as the first phase of the selection process, "please read the job title out loud" - "sorry you can't have it, you're too thick".
  • Options
    They're / there / their all bug me
    You're and your annoy me
    I also used to work with a guy who said "pacifically" instead of specifically!

I am really anal about spelling and hate seeing typos in official or important documentation.
    I also hate some of the iPhones auto corrections too. It's usually pretty good but sometimes it's utter wibble it comes out with
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I hate 'innit', you can't say it without sounding stupid.
  • Options
    People not using any punctuation at all it makes things very difficult to understand
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]People not using any punctuation at all it makes things very difficult to understand[/quote]

Think that sentence needed a comma ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think that "need" needs an s. (or an -ed)
  • Options
    haha touche, saw that but you got there first.
  • Options
    When people try to write foreign phrases. "Ofay" for "au fait" was one of my favourites.

And people using an apostrophe before the s in plurals.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Corporate types who use 'going forward' to try make the most tedious bits of news sound somehow dynamic, as in "Stationery orders will be managed by Clive in the Didcot office, going forward..."

I also get irritated by the disappearance of 'and' from newspaper and internet headlines, e.g. 'Obama, Cameron meet for Washington talks'. Just put the bloody AND there!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Have we had 'basically' yet? Bloody infuriating! Also all the commentators who say 'a little bit' as in '...the 'keeper will be a little bit disappointed with that one'. Claridge does it all the time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Not necessarily people who can't spell in general (though that's f***ing annoying - especially when they blame it on dyslexia (99% of people who claim to be dyslexic are just f***ing stupid)) butdefinitelypeople who think that there's no difference between "your" and "you're"; or "there" and "They're"; or "bought" and "brought"; or (my absolute pet hate at the moment) "We're" or "we'll"

It IS important. It DOES matter. And it DOES make you look a moron.

I totally agree on this one! Also one I hate is people saying how someone/something is 'ironic' when it clearly isn't, you're just being sarcastic which is called the 'lowest form of wit' for a bloody good reason.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: tom- k[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]People not using any punctuation at all it makes things very difficult to understand[/quote]

Think that sentence needed a comma ;)[/quote]

Semi colon ;)

[quote][cite]Posted By: tom- k[/cite]haha touche, saw that but you got there first.[/quote]

*Touché
  • Options
    I sometimes have to be held back from going into shops to correct them on their handwritten signs.
    Today in Greenwich, I saw a notice advertising 'Shephards Pie'. The lack of apostrophe I can deal with but the spelling got on my tits.
    The same board also included 'potatoe,' which is just criminal
  • Options
    Oh and also I REALLY can't stand "potential banana skin".
    Grrrr.
  • Options
    Not keen on people writing kk now instead of ok. How much harder is it to do an o instead of a k. Actually hate most text language.