Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Linguistic Pet Hates

1234568»

Comments

• Floyd - know what you mean.
    I read an Andy McNab book (we all have to read one to realise just how badly written they are). He kept going on about DPM, an abbreviation for Discontinuous Pattern Material - or camouflage to you or I.
  • He was only following SOP

Standard Operating Procedure
  • Saying 'I done' instead of I did".
  • [cite]Posted By: ME14addick[/cite]Saying 'I done' instead of I did".

This is a good one. I challenge anyone to find a pundit on Match of The Day who can use the Past Simple correctly.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bagpuss[/cite]tbh, I find it funny when people say "to be honest". Implies "don't trust me as a rule, but trust me now!"

I remember my training session with Sunworld in 1997 for this. They told us never to say 'to be honest' to the guests as it implies general dishonesty.

Another 'pre-quote' to a sentence that gets me is 'not being funny but...' just before making a criticism.
  • [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bagpuss[/cite]tbh, I find it funny when people say "to be honest". Implies "don't trust me as a rule, but trust me now!"

I remember my training session with Sunworld in 1997 for this. They told us never to say 'to be honest' to the guests as it implies general dishonesty.

Another 'pre-quote' to a sentence that gets me is 'not being funny but...' just before making a criticism.

Similarly, my lawyer told me that you should never say that "your final offer is...." or that an offer is non-negotiable.
  • It's different FROM... not different TO...
  • [cite]Posted By: IdleHans[/cite]It's different FROM... not different TO...
    "Different to" I can see in some circumstances. "Different than" drives me up the wall.
  • "Ground Zero". WTF does this actually mean? I used to think it just mean where the twin towers were, but I keep hearing it in other contexts recently, and just haven't got a clue what it means. I find it really annoying.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]"Ground Zero". WTF does this actually mean? I used to think it just mean where the twin towers were, but I keep hearing it in other contexts recently, and just haven't got a clue what it means. I find it really annoying.
    Wikipedia is your friend....

Basically it dates back to the first nuclear weapons tests, and was used to mean the point in the ground directly below the detonation point. Usage seems to have broadened to mean the epicentre of any devestating event (although why we can't just use epicentre, I dunno)