Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Linguistic Pet Hates

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Ooh Itsa Corner[/cite]The use of 'lol'. I'm an intelligent and funny person who doesn't need to be told that humour has just occurred!

Lol
  • Text speak makes me want to nail hands to tables. Especially when used on an email.

Lol OMG PMSL are to be only used by the mentally inferior (and it took me ages to understand what they meant, I'm 29 for crying out loud)

Spelling misktakes are unforgivable on emails too

I'm not comfortable with 'can I get'?
  • There you have it, Uncle - you're mentally inferior!
  • [cite]Posted By: Ooh Itsa Corner[/cite]There you have it, Uncle - you're mentally inferior!

Lol seems so
  • The word 'just' (not when used in relation to justice), as in, 'can you just lend me twenty pounds', making something out to be nothing much in order that you comply.
    Pacific when they mean specific is annoying, as is pronouncing 'clique' as 'click'.
  • I took the piss out of one of my mates on facebook for saying lol or something like that. I got attacked!!

OMFG ZOMG OMG etc all fall into the same book because I don't understand them, so maybe I', the mentally inferior one. In uncles case though, i'm probably the cleverer one ;-)
  • People that say "Can i get..." probably watch a lot of American Rubbish on TV; possibly started with Aly McBeal, which i have never watched. Grates on me everytime.
    And 'Going forward'- lazy wannabe corporate knob-ends as someone else suggested. To anyone who can't stand 'wannabe', i apologise.
  • Double negatives - don't get me started...
  • 'Il get my coat' is just annoying.
  • people who say "Literally " when it isn't. It literally makes me vomit when they do that.........
  • Sponsored links:

• Spot on, Platform 7 - "Can I get". Grrrr!!!!!

Also, what is "should of" all about? It's "should have"!!!!!!!!

Oh, I'm so old. Where's me Horlicks? Like.
  • edited September 2010
    Spelling 'lose' as 'loose'. It's a totally different word and surely any football fan should know how to spell lose...

As for apostrophes, hardly anyone gets them right nowadays, there's even a tube advert for Walls Magnum that says "it's name" (whatever happened to ad agencies getting things proofread), but the worst one must be: TONIGHT - Leed's United v Valencia!
  • edited September 2010
    Blue sky thinking. All the interesting stuff that sets the imagination alight is in the cloud formations and colours. I also dislike anyone saying 'as a matter of fact'. They invariably go on to spout opinions which are totally divorced from anything remotely factual.
  • edited September 2010
    For some unknown irrational reason I can't stand it when people use the phrase Fair Play as in '' Fair play to him '' as if they are giving their approval.
  • I'm a people person. - This translates to, i'm an exceptionally beaky gossip who can't stand their own company.

Why are you being so negative? - Usually from my M.D. I always reply. Fine, i can lie to you and tell you it will work if you want me to.

My bad - Will make me start planning elaborate ways to bring about your demise.

Gesundheit - It does not make you seem clever. Always ask people what it means. A high percentage say Bless you. Which it doesn't.

It's not my fault i'm fat - Yes it is. I have nothing against fat people. But fat people that claim they hardly eat and whinge about it get on my tits. If you are over weight, you consume more calories than you burn.
  • I saw a document this week that claimed "they are not even pilot enough to stay for the rest of the meeting".

The same organisation had previously published on a website that "although we will allow it on this occasion, we don't want to set a president"
  • [cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]
    Gesundheit - It does not make you seem clever. Always ask people what it means. A high percentage say Bless you. Which it doesn't.
    As an atheist I use gesundheit precisely because it doesn't mean bless you. I still can't hear it, without thinking of The Taking of Pelham 123 though.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]
    As an atheist I use gesundheit precisely because it doesn't mean bless you. I still can't hear it, without thinking of The Taking of Pelham 123 though.

I use good health.
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]

I use good health.

I say "stop sneezing all over me, you germ-ridden bastard."
    My bad - Will make me start planning elaborate ways to bring about your demise.

I'd always thought this was "Am I bad?", till I'd seen it written a few times. What the hell does 'my bad' mean?

Another one that annoys me is 'epic fail'.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]

I use good health.

I say "stop sneezing all over me, you germ-ridden bastard."

i want to "lol" at that but I am too scared to.

Go Figure.

I hate that!
  • [cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]I use good health.
    There's your proof that using gesundheit does not make you seem clever; I hadn't thought of that.
  • Drawing a line under that. Going forward. Pampering yourself. This (insert cake/biscuit/crisp here) is moreish. Saying Ditn't instead of didn't. LOL. Sentences like "I so like that" and "I'm loving that/the"
  • People writing are when they mean our.

Rediculous instead of ridiculous.

Someone else mentioned it, using his instead of he's.
  • Yous. The plural of 'you' is 'you'.

Why are you being so negative? - Usually from rose tinted charlton fans the last 4 years
  • Epic fail

*This*

You're so and so, and i claim five pounds

Oh My God

innit

People that only speak in project form 'resource, regression, milestones etc

The inability of some people to not swear when they type

Slightly different, but i've got this thing about when the death of a soldier is announced on the TV or radio, that it is completely impossible for them to end the brief without saying as the last words 'the family have been informed'. Of course the bloomin family have been informed, what kind of crazy world do you think we live in where the MoD would inform the Moose onTalksport or Channel 5 before the soldiers wife ??? And why is it always added when we know the family would have been informed. And why is is 100% always positioned as the last words in the report ? Are we supposed to be listening and thinking 'oh thats terrible news' but then on hearing the magic words that the family has been informed go 'oh that's a relieft, phew. Right, anyone fancy a biscuit ?'
  • 'i'm playing devil's advocate...' especially when someone uses it at work for a pretend argument against something - Why????

'no offence, but...' or 'I don't mean to be rude, but...' to me always means 'I'm about to insult you, so be prepared to take it' - What if I don't want to?

Also can't stand bad spelling on public signs/food menus. I used to visit a pub that, on the bottom of it's menu had written 'thank you for dinning with us'
  • 1) Weather forecasters: ......40% chance of rain.

It's either going to rain or it isn't. Or is that just MetOffice speak for, "We haven't got a clue" .....?

2) People who say phrases like "Met Office speak".
  • "No disrespect to..." when disrespect is meant.