Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Linguistic Pet Hates

Comments

• edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    Slightly different, but i've got this thing about when the death of a soldier is announced on the TV or radio, that it is completely impossible for them to end the brief without saying as the last words 'the family have been informed'. Of course the bloomin family have been informed, what kind of crazy world do you think we live in where the MoD would inform the Moose onTalksport or Channel 5 before the soldiers wife ??? And why is it always added when we know the family would have been informed. And why is is 100% always positioned as the last words in the report ? Are we supposed to be listening and thinking 'oh thats terrible news' but then on hearing the magic words that the family has been informed go 'oh that's a relieft, phew. Right, anyone fancy a biscuit ?'

A nice bourbon or a fig roll please AFKA!
    I think they end all reports like this because of the difficulties if they didnt.
    It avoids putting the reporter/anchor on the spot with the potential for gaffes and compilers from having to think of a suitable ending for every reported death.

My chosen ending would be 'Tony Blair has been informed' but cant see it gaining popularity.
  • 'and here's the thing....' we really are watching/listening to too many Americans these days....
  • [cite]Posted By: SaySomething[/cite]'i'm playing devil's advocate...' especially when someone uses it at work for a pretend argument against something - Why????

'no offence, but...' or 'I don't mean to be rude, but...' to me always means 'I'm about to insult you, so be prepared to take it' - What if I don't want to?

Also can't stand bad spelling on public signs/food menus. I used to visit a pub that, on the bottom of it's menu had written 'thank you for dinning with us'

It's menu?

Irony?
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Slightly different, but i've got this thing about when the death of a soldier is announced on the TV or radio, that it is completely impossible for them to end the brief without saying as the last words 'the family have been informed'. Of course the bloomin family have been informed, what kind of crazy world do you think we live in where the MoD would inform the Moose onTalksport or Channel 5 before the soldiers wife ??? And why is it always added when we know the family would have been informed. And why is is 100% always positioned as the last words in the report ? Are we supposed to be listening and thinking 'oh thats terrible news' but then on hearing the magic words that the family has been informed go 'oh that's a relieft, phew. Right, anyone fancy a biscuit ?'

I always thought they said this at the end so as not to worry other family members. If you had a son, daughter, husband wife etc serving in a certain area and you hear on the news that someone in the same squad has been killed its natural to worry, so hearing that the family has been informed would confirm to you that it is not your loved one who has sadly lost their life.
  • Americanisms .....like, "one time" = once, you mean?

Or, "back in the day" .....c'mon, you mean a while ago, or even once ?
  • Let's not restrict ourselves to linguistic hates. How about flaws in arguments?

It hacks me off when people quote the existence of one example in an attempt to prove the general point.

"Pardew always takes two seasons to get promoted. He did it with Reading and with West Ham." Well he didn't do it with us, did he? Or with Southampton. So, we might not hear that one again, but trawl back a few seasons and you'll see that it was the basis for our optimism at that time.

"XXXX only had five points from their first ten games last season and still got promoted." Yes, and so did the three sides who were relegated. And four of the teams who finished around halfway.

Just because a thing happened once doesn't mean that it will happen again.
  • [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Just because a thing happened once doesn't mean that it will happen again.

Or it might.

;o)
  • Many people on TV/Radio here start an answer to a question with "Look", as in "Look, we just don't know who will form the next government..."
    The great Alan Border does it all the time.
    Gets on my tits.

People also finish sentences with "But", for example, "That was a good goal, but". But what FFS?

As for "Yous", I got this all the time from a former shop steward who would say things like "Yous don't know what yous are doing".
    Luckily we did and he left the company.
  • I notied that Killara on two recent news reports from Australia... during the election he (dont know his name sorry) started his sentence with Look and the head police woman started every sentence with Look during the bush fires reports. sounds shit.
  • Alanis Morrisette's song "Ironic" when none of it is ironic.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Just because a thing happened once doesn't mean that it will happen again.

Or it might.

;o)

Yes, it might. But don't expect it to simply because it happened before.
  • Pretty much all of the above.

I'm currently working my way through...this....much to the amusement of my colleagues who think I'm stuck in the 1930's and should get down with the kids, like what they are. Then again, when I send anything out I'm reasonable happy that it's not riddled with errors and inappropriate use of language, unlike their letters, etc, (or there letters as they would have it)

Staff meeting tomorrow so I expect to tick another few off in the little book - it's a little like bird spotting for pedants.

Typos are excusable though!
  • Mispronouncing Schedule as Skedule. The twits on Sky Sports News do it all the time (with the odd exception).
  • I remember seeing a fruit & veg shop in Tooting that that the following on their signs:

Apple's
    Pear's
    Grape's

God knows what they did to the poor word strawberries, but luckily they weren't in season (maybe strawberry's!)
  • One of the pubs near me was advertising off sales but ended up advertising an extended spell of dry weather by writing "drought" instead of "draught"... it's the same place that had France playing "Uraquay" on the first day of the World Cup!
  • Grammar is important. Capitalisation is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
  • [cite]Posted By: sadiejane1981[/cite]Capitalisation is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

brilliant
  • Mockney rhyming slang, it's stupid and no one uses it so why type it out instead of the actual word you meant?

Likewise the strange use of words "little & bit" as in nice little bus, nice bit of orange juice. A bus isn't little you weirdo and you drank orange juice which had no bits in it!
  • Ect instead of etc...

WUM when someone can't think of a valid reply to a point of view...

Putting those stupid bloody smiley things at the end of a sentence to let someone know they're trying to be funny...

Putting ... at the end of every sentence ;0)
  • Quote AFKA: "I've got this thing about when the death of a soldier is announced on the TV or radio, that it is completely impossible for them to end the brief without saying as the last words 'the family have been informed'.

I think the reason they do that is to stop other people who might have family serving in the same place from worrying. If you know that the next of kin have been informed, you can relax that at least it wasn't your loved one that died.
  • Sponsored links:

• After they loose two games, Charlton are to force they're goalkeeper's to do pre-match 10k runs, somethink thats a big ask and will have the likes of Rob Elliott and Ross Worner literally tearing there hair out. No disrespect to Charlton, but you should of thought more carefully before yous bought in this change.
  • When the press refer to the latest scandal as *****gate. Watergate was best part of 40 years ago and in another country. It's time to be more original with our scandal naming.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Quote AFKA: "I've got this thing about when the death of a soldier is announced on the TV or radio, that it is completely impossible for them to end the brief without saying as the last words 'the family have been informed'.

I think the reason they do that is to stop other people who might have family serving in the same place from worrying. If you know that the next of kin have been informed, you can relax that at least it wasn't your loved one that died.

The press have to to be clear that family have been informed due to press guidelines. You are not allowed to announce the death of someone (by name) if their next of kin have not been informed so by stating this they have made it clear that they are able to make the announcement.

Its not just soldiers, is the death of anyone.
  • Who is the irritating bird on Sky who uses the word 'hunjid'?

You know .... "Notts have declared their second innings at three hunjid and four for eight".

May be a speech impediment ... or simply an annoying attempt at being endearing and sweet.
  • It's annoying on TV when they say someone "needs no introduction" and then they go and do one anyway.
  • Signs that are not checked before they go to print are really irritating although very funny.
    These were pictures but it won't let me paste them for some reason;

Japanese hotel:
    You are invited to take advantage of the women who are employed to clean rooms.

Moscow hotel:
    If this is your first visit to the USSR, you are welcome to it.

Acapulco hotel:
    We are pleased to announce that the manager has personally passed all the water served here.

Tokyo hotel:
    It is forbidden to steal hotel towels. If you are not a person to do such a thing, please not read this notice.

Paris hotel elevator:
    Please leave your values at the front desk. If you lose them in your room, we are not responsible.

Greece tailor shop:
    Order your summer suits early. Because of the big rush we will execute customers in strict rotation.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]When the press refer to the latest scandal as *****gate. Watergate was best part of 40 years ago and in another country. It's time to be more original with our scandal naming.

That really gets on my t*ts as well.
  • people that type 'Grrrrrr'. I know a few people have done it on this thread but it really bugs me. Seems to be used a lot since faceache started their status updates.
  • Floods, tidalwaves and earthquakes wipe out tens of thousands but no British were believed to be injured...
  • A good old country boy wins a scholarship to Harvard. One day he asks two students 'Can you tell me where the library's at?' to which they haughtily reply 'At Harvard, we never finish our sentences with a preposition.' The country boy pauses for a moment, and then adjusts his grammar. 'OK: can you tell me where the library's at, assholes?'