Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Linguistic Pet Hates

Comments

• Recently I've become more and more annoyed when the kids try and 'arks' me something.
  • People getting 'no', 'now' and 'know' confused.
  • People getting 'herd' and 'heard' confused.
  • 'Burglarization'
  • "my head is *literally* exploding."

"*ironically*, he's playing against his former club."
    It's not irony. At best it's coincidence.

"The lad's *gone to ground* in the penalty area."
    *Gone to ground* does not mean fallen over, Andy Gray. It means a rabbit or fox has gone into hiding whilt being hunted. Unless the striker in question is a fox who's burrowed into the penalty area, it's unlikely to be the correct usage, Andy Gray, you fat, bald twunt.
  • [cite]Posted By: Vincenzo[/cite]Unless the striker in question is a fox who's burrowed into the penalty area

Francis Jeffers?
  • Well, these are quite funny......

MICHAEL Buerk watching Phillipa Forrester cuddle up to a male astronomer for
    warmth during BBC1's UK eclipse coverage remarked: "They seem cold out
    there, they're rubbing each other and he's only come in his shorts."

Ken Brown commentating on golfer Nick Faldo and his caddieFanny Sunneson
    lining-up shots at the Scottish Open:
    "Some weeks Nick likes to useFanny, other weeks he prefers to do it by
    himself."

MIKE Hallett discussing missed snooker shots on Sky Sports:
    "Stephen Hendry jumps on Steve Davis's misses every chance he gets."

WINNING Post's Stewart Machin commentating on jockey Tony McCoy's formidable
    lead:
    "Tony has a quick look between his legs and likes what he sees."

ROSS King discussing relays with champion runner Phil Redmond:
    "Well Phil, tell us about your amazing third leg."

CLAIR Frisby talking about a jumbo hot dog on Look North said:
    "There's nothing like a big hot sausage inside you on a cold night like
    this."

JAMES Allen interviewing Ralf Schumacher at a Grand Prix, asked:
    "What does it feel like being rammed up the backside by Barrichello?"

STEVE Ryder covering the US Masters:
    "Ballesteros felt much better today after a 69."

A female news anchor who, the day after it was supposed to have snowed and
    didn't, turned to the weatherman and asked,
    "So Bob, where's that eight inches you promised me last night?" Not only did
    HE have to leave the set, but half the crew did too, because they were
    laughing so hard!

US PGA Commentator -
    "One of the reasons Arnie (Arnold Palmer) is playing so well is that, before
    each tee shot, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them.... Oh my
    god!!!!! What have I just said?!!!!"

Metro Radio -
    "Julian Dicks is everywhere. It's like they've got elevenDicks on the
    field."

Harry Carpenter at the Oxford-Cambridge boat race 1977 -
    "Ah, isn't that nice. The wife of the Cambridge President is kissing the Cox
    of the Oxford crew."

Ted Walsh- Horse Racing Commentator -
    "This is really a lovely horse. I once rode her mother."

New Zealand Rugby Commentator -
    "Andrew Mehrtens loves it when Daryl Gibson comes inside of him."

Pat Glenn- Weightlifting commentator -
    "And this is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her snatch this morning and it
    was amazing!"
  • Listening to the commentary of the Dagenham game, I'm sure one of the reportes stated that the highlight was "head from Nurse".

And of course there's the old favourite, "May all your doughnuts turn out like fanny's".

Wasn't there a Colemanballs thread on here once?
  • OK. I've got one.

There are two capital letters in my surname. Now, I'm aware that this is slightly unusual, but it happens. There are plenty of examples of Premier League managers (Roberto Di Matteo, Martin O'Neill, Mick McCarthy), England internationals (Steve McMenamin, Shaun Wright-Phillips), TV presenters (Dermot O'Leary), and former Prime Ministers (Ramsay MacDonald) having this situation. Why then do banks, hospitals etc insist on removing the second capital letter from my name?

Imagine my name was Mick McCarthy. They always send me letters addressed (with the capitals)
    MICK MCCARTHY
    MOLINEUX
    WOLVERHAMPTON

But then the first line of the letter will always start "Dear Mr Mccarthy". It really annoys me that.

I don't mind the capitals at all - if they want to send me letters with "Dear Mr MCCARTHY", I'd be happy enough with that, but if they're going to personalise it by using lower case letters, the very least they can do is get the spelling right.
  • People who call football "soccer".

That and tabloid exaggerations and tabloid English.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]People who call football "soccer".

That and tabloid exaggerations and tabloid English.

Agreed
  • Already mentioned.....people that start sentences or link conversation using so......
  • People who are known to regularly split their infinitives
  • The use of -e on the end of words over here to imply traditional/authentic/long established status on hideously inauthentic modern businesses or drab moderne building developments. For example

The Olde Candy Shoppe (Vancouver)
    The Shoppes of Terwillgar Gardens (in Edmonton)
    Beddington Towne Centre (Calgary)
  • Spelling or pronouncing 'so' with too many Os. It's like soooooooooooo annoying.
  • edited September 2010
    Threads like this one.
  • Saying "He/she should of done that" instead of "He/She should have etc......"
  • All things that invade our language from the U S of A.

Calling shopping centres 'Malls'. What's wrong with a shopping centre?

Using the word 'Gotton' in English is in almost all cases wrong. My Uncle has become ill or my Uncle became ill. Not my Uncle has gotton ill.

I heard a woman ask her dughter if wanted some candy a couple of months ago. I nearly threw up.

And for the big one: For free. Five years ago, sticking the word 'for' infront of the word free was never used by the English.

ie I bought a new suit and they gave me a shirt and tie, free. This was fine five years ago but now everyone puts the word 'for' in front of free. Why?
  • edited September 2010
    "snuck" there is no such word.well it's not in my oxford paperback dictionary & thesaurus anyway.you're not 8,just say sneaked.

"harris / 'arris" when trying to be clever using rhyming slang for arse.but what the hell is it that they are writing,do they even know? it's like del boy saying "mange tout rodney,mange tout!"
  • saying 'can i get' when asking for something. This always happens in a coffee shop which is why i avoid the overpriced, , pretentious, americanised rip off parlours. What's wrong with 'i'll have', i'd like' 'can i have' ? not american flip flop wearing, man bag carrying, pseudo intellectual ponce enough?

The other one that springs to mind is Andy Gray and the amount of times he says 'at this level' when describing something. A shocking miss is a shocking miss at any level.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]
    "harris / 'arris" when trying to be clever using rhyming slang for arse.but what the hell is it that they are writing,do they even know? it's like del boy saying "mange tout rodney,mange tout!"
    No, aris meaning arse has a fully documented rhyming slang history.

Aris - aristotle

aristotle - bottle

bottle and glass - arse
  • And for the big one: For free. Five years ago, sticking the word 'for' infront of the word free was never used by the English.

True, also other annoying American phrases that are working their way into the vocabulary of our youth; 'for real,' 'for sure' and 'for true.' 'For' must be the most commonly used word amongst the American youth.
  • It's a living language, it changes, it moves on, it takes words and phrases from other languages and it has a huge number of dialects and accents with a wealth of slang. That is the strength and beauty of English and the reason we don't talk in the way that Chaucer, Shakespeare, Dickens or Cholmondley Warner used to.

Some of the "pet hates" listed here aren't "new" or "American" but very old English English but which have survived in places such as the US and the Caribbean and now been re-imported.

Hope I die before I get old.
  • Would you like a cup of tea? 'No, i'm good'. Many things evolve, doesn't mean we have to like them. Like new out of town characterless football stadia. We understand why, but don't like them.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]OK. I've got one.

There are two capital letters in my surname. Now, I'm aware that this is slightly unusual, but it happens. There are plenty of examples of Premier League managers (Roberto Di Matteo, Martin O'Neill, Mick McCarthy), England internationals (Steve McMenamin, Shaun Wright-Phillips), TV presenters (Dermot O'Leary), and former Prime Ministers (Ramsay MacDonald) having this situation. Why then do banks, hospitals etc insist on removing the second capital letter from my name?

Imagine my name was Mick McCarthy. They always send me letters addressed (with the capitals)
    MICK MCCARTHY

Its just greed - that all it is, no one needs 2 capital letters in their surname!!
    MOLINEUX
    WOLVERHAMPTON

But then the first line of the letter will always start "Dear Mr Mccarthy". It really annoys me that.

I don't mind the capitals at all - if they want to send me letters with "Dear Mr MCCARTHY", I'd be happy enough with that, but if they're going to personalise it by using lower case letters, the very least they can do is get the spelling right.[/quote]
  • And, when did the Nou Camp stadium become Camp Nou?
  • Use of only one verb, namely "do."

I'm going to do Australia should read I am going to visit and travel round Australia.

Politicians of all hues also indulge in this aberration when trying to pretend that they are "real" people rather than out of touch zombies in their own little bubble.
  • Haha bibble, I suppose.
  • edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]
    No, aris meaning arse has a fully documented rhyming slang history.

Aris - aristotle

aristotle - bottle

yep, but what is harris or 'arris?

bottle and glass - arse

yes, but like i said,what is harris or 'arris?
  • edited September 2010
    An arris is a term that is sometimes used in roofing - a ridge tile is put over the arris - i.e where the two slopes meet. The finest slang reference to arse has to be 'Gary'. Beautifully delivered one morning at Warren St tube station. All was quiet as everybody was making there way up on the escalator. The middle escalator was out of action and hoarded off. Two workman behind the hoarding seemed to be in a world of their own discussing 'current affairs' when one said to the other (clearly and audibly to all the passengers on the escalators) 'That Jodie Marsh - she's a proper sort - takes it right up the Gary' A brilliant moment and perfectly delivered piece of slang.

Guess this should be on a linguistic pet likes thread.