Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darren Bent, Bent, Bent

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Handed in transfer request. Why leave Sunderland in 6th to go to a relegation threatened side?

Because he's not happy?

We know that Benty's pretty loyal and conducts himself professionally.
    Maybe he's just unsettled in the North East.
  • Options
    He could find himself playing in the championship next season! Saying that, villa have got some very good players (bar emile heskey) so they should be ok. Strange move if you ask me
  • Options
    Did his mum not get some racist abuse up there. I know it's easy to say things like that should be brushed off but it could've affected him and his family.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Did his mum not get some racist abuse up there. I know it's easy to say things like that should be brushed off but it could've affected him and his family.

You're right, WSS. It was at Wigan, but the abuse came from a Sunderland fan.

If it does happen he'll score a lot of goals for Villa. Can see him thriving off service from Young, Downing and Albrighton.
  • Options
    Villa are 2 or 3 decent signings away from a good side, Benty would be excellent for them.
  • Options
    @OptaJoe: 81 - Since Aug 2005 Darren Bent has scored 81 Premier League goals, only Rooney & Drogba (both 82) have more in the same period. Swoop.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[cite]If it does happen he'll score a lot of goals for Villa. Can see him thriving off service from Young, Downing and Albrighton.

Agreed...as long as they can keep hold of Young and Downing. Both have been the subject of interest elsewhere.

Interestingly, my Sunderland supporting work-colleague has just pointed out to me that Sunderland's best spell this season coincided with the time Bent was out injured.
    You should have seen the poor sods face when I told him Bent was going. He looked like he was going to cry bless him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Handed in transfer request. Why leave Sunderland in 6th to go to a relegation threatened side?

Because he's not happy?

We know that Benty's pretty loyal and conducts himself professionally.
    Maybe he's just unsettled in the North East.

Do you think he's loyal? I dont particularly.
  • Options
    He was with us, Curb_it, don't you think?

And he hung on at Spurs, despite people there constantly trashing him, including the manager.
  • Options
    Why - did other bids come in for him when he was with us that he turned down?

Just from reading some of his tweets and a couple of stories I've heard - he's no Chris Powell.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is when things like Twitter become a problem for footballers as the amount of abuse that will be levelled at him from Sunderland fans will be pretty extreme now.
  • Options
    Bent and Heskey could be a brilliant combination up front. Especially with Young whipping balls in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Why - did other bids come in for him when he was with us that he turned down?
    West Ham did half way through our relegation season.

I never expected him to stay once we were relegated. We needed the money for one thing, and he wanted to play for England. As a comparison, when West Ham were relegated, Defoe requested a transfer the next day. Bent never did, though I'm sure he knew clubs would be in for him and he'd eventually leave.
  • Options
    I don't know so much about loyal - what he was (with us, anyway) was professional when we had to sell him. He just quietly let the club get on with it.

He was obviously unhappy at Spurs & just wanted to get away (hence the frustrated tweets)
  • Options
    I reckon Villa aren't the only club interested.
  • Options
    I never expected him to stay either and he did whats best for himself, kept quiet and let us think he wanted to stay but he had to go at the club needed the money.

Seems nice enough but he doesnt appear to care about us now. We are in his past.
  • Options
    Wouldn't surprise me if Liverpool don't get involved. If not I think Villa are a better side than Sunderland long term.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]

Seems nice enough but he doesnt appear to care about us now. We are in his past.

Can't blame him really, its not as though he supported us as a youngster. Good luck to him but do feel sorry for the Sunderland fans, who I like.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]I never expected him to stay either and he did whats best for himself, kept quiet and let us think he wanted to stay but he had to go at the club needed the money.

He mentioned Chris Powell being a top bloke and he'll do well here.

Very surprised he's leaving thought he was enjoying himself up there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Wouldn't surprise me if Liverpool don't get involved. If not I think Villa are a better side than Sunderland long term.

Qualify "Long Term".

I think things have changed big time. No one can consider themselves a "Big Club" anymore. It is quite possible, albiet very unlikey, that Villa, Liverpool and West Ham are relegated this season.
    Where do they go from there? Who knows? Ok they get parachutes etc and probably all 3 would be straight up again. But to what? Not to Champions League or Europa etc.

At the moment Sunderland are a club with more of a secured future than Villa.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes I'm very shocked by his decision. And if i were a Sunderland fan i would be feel absolutely gutted right now. Like i did the day he left Charlton... but then we knew that was coming. This has come completely out of the blue for them.
  • Options
    Bit unfair Curb It. I think he was a great pro for us (never mind probably the best striker we’ve had in my lifetime). When we got relegated he could have thrown his toys out of the pram, many players do in that situation. However he knew bids would be coming for him so he bided his time and went to Spurs. He needed the move and we needed the money, but thanks to his professionalism we were able to conclude the deal and get the maximum value. If he had started kicking off we’d never have got £16m for him and would be in an even worse state than we are now.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]Bent and Heskey could be a brilliant combination up front. Especially with Young whipping balls in.[/quote]

Behave Ross, I nearly spat my coffee all over my keyboard when I saw the words "Heskey" & "brilliant" in the same sentence.
  • Options
    Im not saying he wasn't a great pro when with us. But What professionalism? He kept quiet whilst the deals were being done, knowing full well it was going on as there was no way he was going to be playing in the Champ.

Again, he cares very little for Charlton these days and that saddens me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Im not saying he wasn't a great pro when with us. But What professionalism? He kept quiet whilst the deals were being done, knowing full well it was going on as there was no way he was going to be playing in the Champ.

With you 100% Curb_it

Never did, and still don't think he's that good.
  • Options
    Don't know how people can still doubt Bent. His goalscoring record over the last 5 years is incredible.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]Bent and Heskey could be a brilliant combination up front. Especially with Young whipping balls in.

Behave Ross, I nearly spat my coffee all over my keyboard when I saw the words "Heskey" & "brilliant" in the same sentence.
    True, yet seeing as Heskey is Villa's main man atm stranger things have happened...
  • Options
    I’m not sure how you know that he cares very little for us though ? Perhaps you know him personally ? I certainly don’t so I have no knowledge of his inner mind, but I’m not sure what you expect from him ? Do you want him to go round in a Charlton shirt every day or light himself on fire in despair every time we get relegated ? He came to Charlton, we paid him well and he performed to the very best of his ability with fantastic results. Then when the time to leave he did so with dignity ensuring the best possible value for the club. I think that is the very definition of professionalism and one a standard many of his colleagues fail to live up to.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Im not saying he wasn't a great pro when with us. But What professionalism? He kept quiet whilst the deals were being done, knowing full well it was going on as there was no way he was going to be playing in the Champ.

With you 100% Curb_it

Never did, and still don't think he's that good.

sorry can't agree with that last statement, his goal record in the past 3/4 years is up there with most (without me actually bothering to check admittedly!), he'll score goals in any side in the prem.
  • Options
    Only Drogba and Rooney have scored more than him since 2005 (and that's only one more), and he's played in teams that don't create as many chances....