Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darren Bent, Bent, Bent

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Im not saying he wasn't a great pro when with us. But What professionalism? He kept quiet whilst the deals were being done, knowing full well it was going on as there was no way he was going to be playing in the Champ.

Again, he cares very little for Charlton these days and that saddens me.[/quote]

With you 100% Curb_it

Never did, and still don't think he's that good.[/quote]

most ridiculous statement of 2011 on CL in my opinion...
  • Options
    Chirpy is on a wind up surely - well maybe not!

"I certainly don’t so I have no knowledge of his inner mind, but I’m not sure what you expect from him ? Do you want him to go round in a Charlton shirt every day or light himself on fire in despair every time we get relegated ? "

Being a bit silly arent you? Just cos Im not worshiping over the altar of Bent. Im sure i've mentioned it but a couple of stories makes me think differently about him... like i said, he's no Chris Powell.
  • Options
    With our new found riches, why haven't we matched Villa's bid and offered him a role as player/captain/assistant manager?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]

Again, he cares very little for Charlton these days and that saddens me.

In a recent England interview, he twice talked about "At Charlton" when he meant Sunderland. Suggested to me we were still in his thoughts...

I wish him all the best anyway.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite] Just cos Im not worshiping over the altar of Bent.

Ah, the days of Bent double.
  • Options
    Would certainly be a strange move, houllier is on very shaky territory but as you say, I think Bent'll thrive on the service he'll get there.

Don't know why people are down on Bent here, always struck me as someone who tried his best and was entirely fair with us. Ok he wasn't exactly distraught and was mixing with the spurs players after we were relegated but I'll let him off as he didn't force the move, we got good money and was so good with us.

Coincidentally I met Benty about 3 years ago and said to him "Darren, come back to The Valley" and his response was "I wish". We can but dream....
  • Options
    Money!!!!!!! and loads of it, Villa have tapped him up, bettered the deal he is on at Sunderland and bingo, transfer request, why else would he leave a team in the top third of the table for one in turmoil at the bottom.
  • Options
    All about the money. Sadly.

One retort from a Sunderland fan: Go on PISS OFF, I hope your next shite is a hedgehog!....”
  • Options
    Can't wait to hear the story behind this as at the moment I think it's pretty strange for all three parties involved - even for an inflated fee why would Sunderland sell their prime asset when they are 6th in the league... Villa are going against their policy of organic growth under Lerner and signing a prime centre forward when they really need defensive and midfield cover, how long will Houlier be around anyway; and god knows what's going on with Benty, he's adored up there, he's the main man and if he did want to come back "south" then Birmingham isn't exactly that near the M25 is it. Strange all round.
  • Options
    p.s. interesting to see the plethora of "I've never rated this guy" comments from SFC fans... and yes that is a direct quote about someone who has scored 36 goals for them in 1 and a half seasons!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would be tremendous if his next sh*te WAS a hedgehog!
  • Options
    I think his scoring record could be even better if his first touch was better, though he often makes up for this with his pace
  • Options
    Unless he has developed a Pardewlike ego since he left us, in my opinion there are non-footballing reasons driving this and I don't simply mean money.
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited January 2011
    Newcastle fans have been vandalising his property, and I read somewhere his mum has been racially abused up there
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Newcastle fans have been vandalising his property, and I read somewhere his mum has been racially abused up there

I read that somewhere too. Can't think where. Maybe it's on a Darren Bent thread somewhere. Might have to have a look.

(Sorry, sarcasm isn't clever - but it's all I can do)
  • Options
    Good move in someways for both clubs.

Villa get a proven goalscoring but Sunderland get a large fee to re-invest into their side and got a couple of decent strikers already.
  • Options
    good luck to him, how anyone can say he's not that good baffles me!
  • Options
    Good luck to him I loved him when he was here. Missed him when he first left and spent every season since his gone looking at our strikers thinking you ain't the next darren bent.

Footballers will never surprise me if he has a different side to bent the gent then so be it. Never meet your heros they say.

As for goals he scores them for fun. Only last year if bent didn't score sunderland didnt win.

Any sunderland fan that doesn't rate him or think unless they get another goal machine is just a thick mackam

1 in 2 in the premier league I think they don't grow on trees
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Never meet your heros they say.

very true that NLA pretty much everything is always better in the mind
  • Options
    Wasn't he kissing the badge on the shirt when he scored for Sunderland recently?
    I hope he hasn't become like all the rest of those jumped up ponces in the EPL,where loyalty lies in the size of the cheque.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    just heard a fan on talksport say that they thought technically he wasn't a very good player. they clearly aren't a charlton fan and haven't seen our first 11, lol. anyway £24m total is a lot of money. i was thinking on saturday at hillsborough if Bent had had that ball over the shoulder like ecclestone did, we may have won the match.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Prince-e-Paul[/cite]just heard a fan on talksport say that they thought technically he wasn't a very good player. they clearly aren't a charlton fan and haven't seen our first 11, lol. anyway £24m total is a lot of money. i was thinking on saturday at hillsborough if Bent had had that ball over the shoulder like ecclestone did, we may have won the match.

It was a Tottenham fan, said he was the worst player he's ever seen and can't understand how he's scored so many goals. Simple, because his finishing is top class.

Sunderland will really struggle without his goals.
  • Options
    Technically I don't think he is that gifted but has a very handy knack of being in the right place at the right time, strong and quick oh and scores shed loads of goals. This is a strange one, I can't imagine it is all about money, he can hardly be on peanuts at Sunderland and I can't see Villa offering that much more for wages.
  • Options
    Checked into a hotel in Birmingham apparently..
  • Options
    Personal reasons, maybe? He never seems to stay that long in one place.
    Shame for Sunderland - Bent and Gyan were my dream team: two forwards I really like!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Prince-e-Paul[/cite]just heard a fan on talksport say that they thought technically he wasn't a very good player. they clearly aren't a charlton fan and haven't seen our first 11, lol. anyway £24m total is a lot of money. i was thinking on saturday at hillsborough if Bent had had that ball over the shoulder like ecclestone did, we may have won the match.

It was a Tottenham fan, said he was the worst player he's ever seen and can't understand how he's scored so many goals. Simple, because his finishing is top class.

Sunderland will really struggle without his goals.

Yeah I heard that call whilst driving home, what a bellend that bloke was!!, he clearly hasn't seen Peter Crouch play...
  • Options
    He is a very good finisher, good in the air, quick and strong...however, his first touch isnt great, his link up play is quite poor....

Compared to defoe, I think defoe is the better footballer, but I think Bent is the better finisher....

£18m is alot, but considering he will score lots of goals I think he will do well...

Wasnt he spurs top scorer in one of seasons, and most of his goals come from the bench?

Considering we never created many chances and sunderland dont create many chances, his goal scoring record is there for all to see...

the fact that he has 81 goals since 2005 and is only 1 goal behind drogba and rooney (who are in much much better teams) tells you all you need to know about the lad...

good luck to him
  • Options
    I think it's pretty bloody unfair, Curb It, to say "he's no Chris Powell".

I mean who, would you say, among the current Premiership breed of players, can hold a candle to Chris Powell, in terms of general off-field behaviour and full membership of the human race? I can't think of one.

Darren Bent's conduct here from his first day to his last, on and off the field, was beyond reproach, was it not? And we forget how young he was, and still is. I'll need a good reason to accept a bad word about him.
  • Options
    Oh woe the last thing id want to be is bloodyunfair to "poor" old darren.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Like Prague Addick, I always admired the way DB conducted himelf off the pitch as much as I enjoyed watching him on it.

But who knows? Perhaps he's been having a hard time from the racist b******s up there and has taken righteous offence at some rudeness to his mum in the local supermarket - and being a loyal and devoted son, has slapped in a tranfer request as a result. On the other hand, perhaps he's got an agent who has turned his head and he's got greedy. To be honest, we have no idea what might be going on.

Funnily enough the players I really admire characterwise are the ones who start out as nice but ambitious kids; then get their heads turned by a bit of success, which, at 21 years old, puts every conceivable temptation in their path; and then by the time they turn 23/24 realise that money and celebrity has turned them into monstrous brats and take a conscious decision to step back from that and become fully paid-up members of the human race again.

Talking out of my backside, really, because I haven't spoken to him in years, but I get the impression that Scott Parker might be one who has been on such a journey...