Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darren Bent, Bent, Bent

Comments

• Options
    I got told this yesterday, haha:

Bent going to Villa for a deal worth £24m. £30m plus Heskey.

Thought it was brilliant.
  • Options
    I'm amazed at the attitude towards players lack of loyalty. Football is a complete mess now, with players being paid obscene amounts of money. Just read some of the snippets in the papers at the moment, little better than average people on £35,000 a week. I know that we have all got used to this, but just stop and think for a moment. Every 7 days they pay you £35,000 ( or a hell of a lot more ) for playing a game.
    Who has produced this situation ? Idiot Directors and Managers, thats who, so why would they suppose that players would behave normally.
  • Options
    I don't necessarily blame footballers for wanting some more money. I'd love some more money.
  • Options
    I don't understand why he would want to leave Sunderland. Unlike at Spurs the teams plays to his style and their a side on the up. Three years ago I would understand why one of Sunderland's best players would move to Aston Villa, but not now.
  • Options
    I'd say the 90k a week and being closer to London was a big draw.
  • Options
    The press hack on Talksport this morning said he nearly moved in the summer and was that desperate to get away he was considering an offer from Trabzonspoor (sp!) in Turkey
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]I'm amazed at the attitude towards players lack of loyalty. Football is a complete mess now, with players being paid obscene amounts of money. Just read some of the snippets in the papers at the moment, little better than average people on £35,000 a week. I know that we have all got used to this, but just stop and think for a moment. Every 7 days they pay you £35,000 ( or a hell of a lot more ) for playing a game.
    Who has produced this situation ? Idiot Directors and Managers, thats who, so why would they suppose that players would behave normally.

Nothing wrong with footballers wanting more money. They're a commidity that attract millions of pounds in revenues for their companies, I would want to be paid a fair bit too.
  • Options
    Good luck Benty. Can't blame him wanting away from the Northern monkey's. Despite the claims by some of him being a mercenary, I'll always be grateful for the 2 seasons he played for us. During the relegation season we were playing some of the worst football i'd seen from a charlton team for a long time (not imagining what was to come) and despite this, he always seemed to put in a decent shift and didn't sulk or demand a transfer. Add all that to the £14m profit we made on him, that makes him probably curbs best transfer deal in all his time of management.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]I'm amazed at the attitude towards players lack of loyalty. Football is a complete mess now, with players being paid obscene amounts of money. Just read some of the snippets in the papers at the moment, little better than average people on £35,000 a week. I know that we have all got used to this, but just stop and think for a moment. Every 7 days they pay you £35,000 ( or a hell of a lot more ) for playing a game.

It's not the average players earning 35k a week that bother me, it's the likes of Wayne Bridge earning 90k, Glen Johnson earning 100k and Adebayor on 130k that really annoy me.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]I don't understand why he would want to leave Sunderland.

Have you been to Sunderland?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He'll keep villa up, weird move but player for player sunderland aren't that different to Aston V

Good luck benty!
  • Options
    Very weird move. Those Sunderland fans adored him and not surprised they are so upset.

Loves a pound note.
  • Options
    Steve Bruce is talking about loyalty & being let down? That makes me laugh.

What about all the clubs he has left? He is one of the biggest mercenaries going!

Pot + Calling + Kettle methinks!
  • Options
    think its a good move for him football wise.

Sunderland are punching above their weight in 6th and Villa the opposite in 17th. If houllier can keep villa's squad together for another 2 seasons they will be a very good side. They needed a goalscoring centre forward, which they've got in Benty and a centre-half, they ship far too many goals away from home. Bent will get better service at Villa, play quicker counter-attacking football and it will do his England hopes a whole lot of good....lets be honest, Capello will look more towards a goalscoring Aston Villa striker than a Sunderland one.

On a personal level, who wouldnt want to be paid more money. He scores bundles at the top level, which is very rare, so deserves the money he gets compared to others.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

It's not the average players earning 35k a week that bother me, it's the likes of Wayne Bridge earning 90k, Glen Johnson earning 100k and Adebayor on 130k that really annoy me.

Definitely.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]I don't understand why he would want to leave Sunderland.

Have you been to Sunderland?
    Have you been to Birmingham? He's not going to live in either city.
  • Options
    Did he really play for us? Did I really see him give Melchiot a two yard start over 50 yards at The Valley and leave him for dead before scoring to make the game safe?

It seems like another world when I see Akpo (who I actually like in a strange sort of way) lumbering around!
  • Options
    Regarding leaving Sunderland, I have read somewhere about racial abuse towards him and his Mum. I remember him as being a very nice lad from a good family, and that could be the cause.
  • Options
    Great lad, bit of a sideways move but good luck to him anyhow.
  • Options
    Apparently Gary glitters interested in being a villa fan especially with young and bent up front
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bet he scores loads for Villa and keeps them up
  • Options
    I find it a bit hypocritical that Steve Bruce is questioning Bents loyalty. How many clubs has he quit for other managerial jobs?
  • Options
    Spurs will be seeing a very nice chunk of change from Darren Bent's transfer from Sunderland to Aston Villa.

We sold him for £10 million down with a further £6.5 million in "add-ons".

That extra £6.5 million we've got coming to us has paid for Steven Pienaar with £4 million more to go towards that world class striker we've been promised!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: THFC6061[/cite]Spurs will be seeing a very nice chunk of change from Darren Bent's transfer from Sunderland to Aston Villa.

That extra £6.5 million we've got coming to us has paid for Steven Pienaar with £4 million more to go towards that world class striker we've been promised!

You aleady had a striker that would score goals. But Harry decided he could get better (still looking?) and took the piss out the third top scorer in the EPL over the past five years.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: southamptonaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: THFC6061[/cite]Spurs will be seeing a very nice chunk of change from Darren Bent's transfer from Sunderland to Aston Villa.

You aleady had a striker that would score goals. But Harry decided he could get better (still looking?) and took the piss out the third top scorer in the EPL over the past five years.

Yeah but they have Peter Crouch...
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]Regarding leaving Sunderland, I have read somewhere about racial abuse towards him and his Mum. I remember him as being a very nice lad from a good family, and that could be the cause.

I rather believe this. Spent some time around there with our caravan last summer and it most certainly left us with the impression that it is a non-white hostile area. I can only wonder how he and his Mum have survived there for as long as they have.
  • Options

Perhaps there is method is Levy's madness?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]Regarding leaving Sunderland, I have read somewhere about racial abuse towards him and his Mum. I remember him as being a very nice lad from a good family, and that could be the cause.

I rather believe this. Spent some time around there with our caravan last summer and it most certainly left us with the impression that it is a non-white hostile area. I can only wonder how he and his Mum have survived there for as long as they have.

His mum doesn't live in Sunderland - she was attending a match and got some vile abuse from a moron but she didnt let it lie, she tracked him down in a pub and she got the man arrested but she dropped the charges as all she wanted was an apology.

Darren didnt get racially abused, he got some stick from some Newcastle fans once. But the Sunderland fans absolutely and unrefutedly idolised him. Hero to Zero in one sign of a signature.
  • Options
    Love Bruce's comments on this. I mean he's never upped sticks and left a club to "seek a new challenge" at the drop of a hat has he? Try asking Wigan fans (twice), Birmingham fans and that lot from down the road

Thick hypocrite.
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/8270093/Darren-Bents-move-from-Sunderland-to-Aston-Villa-confirms-player-loyalty-has-gone-to-the-dogs.html

Bit of flak for our Darren in the Torygraph.