Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darren Bent, Bent, Bent

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Villa actually have a very young, quick and potent attacking threat now.

Bent Agbonlahor Young Albrighton, plus the wand of a left foot Downing has.

Can't think of many more front fives to be feared in the PL besides the obvious Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and City.

Bale, Modric, van der Vaart, Lennon and then take your pick from Defoe, Pavlyuchenko or Crouch.
    I'd say that was up there, wouldnt you?

Midfield wise, definitely. Think Spurs would be challenging for the title with better forwards.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Now, JohnBoy, if only you had a really consistent goal scorer like DB instead of either Crouch or Defoe or Pavyl. Oh, what do you mean, you did? ;-)
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Midfield wise, definitely. Think Spurs would be challenging for the title with better forwards.

Have to say you're both absolutely spot on.

The way we play now, we have absolutely no need for a goal scorer with any creativity. We just need a forward who can hit the back of the net on a regular basis now. Long gone are the days where our chances were supplied by a creative centre-forward like Sheringham, Keane or Berbatov. When Bent was at the club, that was how we were set up. Now, he'd fit us to a tee. Just one of those things.

The defence and midfield pick themselves now to a point. The one thing that has let us down this year is the centre-forwards. Between Defoe, Pavlyuchenko and Crouch, they've hit 6 league goals between them. Ok, Defoe was out for 3 months and Crouch has created a fair few for vdV but 6 goals between them says a lot.

I think thats the most frustrating thing for us now. We are close, very close to having a VERY good side but we need a regular goal scorer. We were heavily linked with every striker and his dog in the last window yet there's 7 days left of this one and Levy still hasnt got his cheque book out. If the ITKs are to be believed, Spurs have accepted an offer of £10m from Sunderland for Pavlyuchenko and he's been told he can go. Keane is off to one of West Ham or Fulham so that must mean someone is on their way in but who is the question?

I'm still wondering why we bought Pienaar? My pessimistic side says as a replacement for Bale or Modric when they leave in the summer when we dont qualify for the CL due to lack of goals because Levy still hasnt funded the striker that we've been crying out for. All adds up for an interesting last 7 days of the transfer window.

I'm just waiting for the club statement from Levy on 1st February 2011, saying he was too busy to sign a striker as he was concentrating on the OS bid.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Don't blame levy for not wanting to get his dish out, he already bought 'arry I've of the best strikers in the country, unfortunately the big nosed twat treated him like s****.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Now, JohnBoy, if only you had a really consistent goal scorer like DB instead of either Crouch or Defoe or Pavyl. Oh, what do you mean, you did? ;-)
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Midfield wise, definitely. Think Spurs would be challenging for the title with better forwards.

Have to say you're both absolutely spot on.

The way we play now, we have absolutely no need for a goal scorer with any creativity. We just need a forward who can hit the back of the net on a regular basis now. Long gone are the days where our chances were supplied by a creative centre-forward like Sheringham, Keane or Berbatov. When Bent was at the club, that was how we were set up. Now, he'd fit us to a tee. Just one of those things.

The defence and midfield pick themselves now to a point. The one thing that has let us down this year is the centre-forwards. Between Defoe, Pavlyuchenko and Crouch, they've hit 6 league goals between them. Ok, Defoe was out for 3 months and Crouch has created a fair few for vdV but 6 goals between them says a lot.

I think thats the most frustrating thing for us now. We are close, very close to having a VERY good side but we need a regular goal scorer. We were heavily linked with every striker and his dog in the last window yet there's 7 days left of this one and Levy still hasnt got his cheque book out. If the ITKs are to be believed, Spurs have accepted an offer of £10m from Sunderland for Pavlyuchenko and he's been told he can go. Keane is off to one of West Ham or Fulham so that must mean someone is on their way in but who is the question?

I'm still wondering why we bought Pienaar? My pessimistic side says as a replacement for Bale or Modric when they leave in the summer when we dont qualify for the CL due to lack of goals because Levy still hasnt funded the striker that we've been crying out for. All adds up for an interesting last 7 days of the transfer window.

I'm just waiting for the club statement from Levy on 1st February 2011, saying he was too busy to sign a striker as he was concentrating on the OS bid.

Bloody Hell, I had no idea that Spurs' strikers had scored only six goals all season, that's unbelievable for a team doing so well.

Problem is I just can't see who they can bring in at the moment, nobody will release players at the moment of the class they are looking for, ie, CL level players.
  • Options
    Apparantly Benty's been having a relationship with Steve Bruce's daughter...
  • Options
    fairplay
  • Options
    Hopefully she doest get her looks from him
  • Options
    Darren getting slaughterd on 606, as usual. Bit over the top some but as I have said before he has never looked top quality to me either.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Darren getting slaughterd on 606, as usual. Bit over the top some but as I have said before he has never looked top quality to me either.
    #

I'm not listening to 606. Took Defoe 18 caps to get his second goal. Has taken Bent 8 caps. Deserves more games and chances. He's still more likely to score than any other English striker, 'top quality' or not.
  • Options
    scored??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]scored??

He did.
  • Options
    Could easily have scored a hattrick today, the Lampard flick, I think Bent was onside, not sure if he would have reached it though, the time when the ball flashed across the box in the first half and he didn't get enough on it and the header in the second half. He looked lively, linked play well, never tired and has a good attitude to the game, hopefully England starts become a regular thing for him now
  • Options
    Alan Green is a 2@ (if there was any doubt)
  • Options
    Graham 'Do i not like that ' Taylor commented that he thought it took a player about 12 games to find their feet at international level, we all know the media doesn't like /rate Bent , how he's missed out on the last 2 international tournaments is beyond me.
  • Options
    seriously? he got criticised after that performance?

i was watching in danish online...so couldn't get a feel for what the commentators were saying... but he looked to have got himself into good positions and scored a goal
    missed a couple of others... but I wpudl give him credit for being there rather than criticism for just missing them
  • Options
    englands biggest problem is that they don’t carve open enough goalscoring opportunities and when going forward we rarely look dangerous. Look at the Algeria game in the WC.

Bent always gets chances…whether they be of his own making, because of his movement or just because of his presence. Defoe’s the same.

Id rather have that in my England team. Media haven’t got a clue because most have never played the game. They’d rather have shrek cos he works hard. and plays for Manchester utd.
  • Options
    The simple fact is that England look far more balanced when Lampard and Rooney aren't in the team. Second half we were more solid defensively and created more chances, yet Rooney and Lampard will be back in the team for the next competitive match.

It begs the question of what is the actual point of these friendlies if players come in and impress, but the same old names are on the team sheet next time we play a qualifier?
  • Options
    I thought wilshere did very well and his passing an vision look very good. Cant wait to see how he (and la arse) match up against messi et al next week
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]The simple fact is that England look far more balanced when Lampard and Rooney aren't in the team. Second half we were more solid defensively and created more chances, yet Rooney and Lampard will be back in the team for the next competitive match.

It begs the question of what is the actual point of these friendlies if players come in and impress, but the same old names are on the team sheet next time we play a qualifier?

Spot on. When Rooney and Fat Frank went off i thought we played 10 times better.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Some peoples take on Benty makes me laugh. He ain't no Messi, but he is a goal scorer.

It was mentioned last night on ITV that probably there isn't another England striker who could/would have been in position to score that goal. He just has a knack of getting into the right positions. Sure he missed a couple of chances but again he was in the right place at the right time.

Maybe Carroll is going to be first choice alongside Rooney, but Benty has done enough to be included.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Carroll is who has had half a good season in the Prem is chosen over Bent who is a proven Prem goal scorer the world really has gone mad.
  • Options
    Good to see him finally getting a run in the team. Fully earned and well deserved. His game is still improving.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]If Carroll is who has had half a good season in the Prem is chosen over Bent who is a proven Prem goal scorer the world really has gone mad.[/quote]

Guarranteed to happen... the world is run by a bunch a c****... fact...
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]If Carroll is who has had half a good season in the Prem is chosen over Bent who is a proven Prem goal scorer the world really has gone mad.

His off field lifestyle is distinctly questionable which seems to be an essential qualification to become an England regular.

Benty is too conventional although not singing the national anthem has probably got him some street cred as a rebel.
  • Options
    Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
    2001–2005 Ipswich Town 122 (47)
    2005–2007 Charlton Athletic 68 (31)
    2007–2009 Tottenham Hotspur 60 (18)
    2009–2011 Sunderland 58 (32)
    2011– Aston Villa 4 (2)
    National team‡
    England U15
    2000–2001 England U16 6 (0)
    England U17
    2002 England U19 3 (0)
    2003–2005 England U21 14 (9)
    2006– England 8 (2)

Not a bad record is it.
  • Options
    I thought he scored more than 18 at spurs... (although, alot of his 60 apps were from the bench
  • Options
    Andy townsend looking better than he has done before when we played brazil!!!

Seriously guys a twat im not sure if Bent is an international player but to judge him on that game when half of the squad called in sick is a joke
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Robert[/cite]I thought he scored more than 18 at spurs... (although, alot of his 60 apps were from the bench

I think that format pasted above is from Wikipedia, in that section they only include league appearances and goals I think. His overall Spurs record was 25 goals in 79 appearances.
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]im not sure if Bent is an international player

What does that even mean though? I hear this 'international class' description all the time. He is clearly one of England's best 3/4 strikers, therefore he is in the England squad, therefore he is international class.
  • Options
    I mean im not sure he has enough about him to outwit top top centre halfs saying that only 2-3 games in a tournament will you play against these. Until he is given a chance we wont know.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]I mean im not sure he has enough about him to outwit top top centre halfs saying that only 2-3 games in a tournament will you play against these. Until he is given a chance we wont know.

Yeah, 'cos the Premiership is full of Div 3 standard centre halfs isn't it and look how he's struggled there?