Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2-2 Dagenham - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    I actually thought Benson played alright.

Ran the channels, gave decent lay offs to the wingers, came and got the ball etc.

Not his fault Wagstaff, Martin, Francis, Jackson, and Racon couldnt do anything to create chances for him IN THE BOX where he is most effective.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]I thought Racon was our best player, his work for the second goal was a bit of quality only he could produce in that current team in my opinion. I'm not his greatest fan but he had a good game, tackling and getting forward more than usual. Llera and Sodje were very poor. I'd honestly rather watch a 20% fit Fortune than Llera. As for Sodje, he is truly atrocious. I'd been moaning all second half that he didn't win the ball or hold it up then the one time he actually did and could give a simple pass to Martin wide on the right he decided to smash it out of play. Unreal. Worner did well to keep us in it.

All in all it wasn't good enough for a team looking to get promoted.

Agree! but how can you not even mention BENSON??? He was by far the worst player on that field today!
  • Options
    One (very fortunate) win in six. More than we actually deserve tbh.

Not the worst players, but probably the worst side I think I've seen in 40+ years.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]I thought Racon was our best player, his work for the second goal was a bit of quality only he could produce in that current team in my opinion. I'm not his greatest fan but he had a good game, tackling and getting forward more than usual. Llera and Sodje were very poor. I'd honestly rather watch a 20% fit Fortune than Llera. As for Sodje, he is truly atrocious. I'd been moaning all second half that he didn't win the ball or hold it up then the one time he actually did and could give a simple pass to Martin wide on the right he decided to smash it out of play. Unreal. Worner did well to keep us in it.

All in all it wasn't good enough for a team looking to get promoted.

Agree! but how can you not even mention BENSON??? He was by far the worst player on that field today!

I thought Benson looked good first half, some lovely touches and movement. Honestly I think maybe something was said to him second half that got to him because he just didn't turn up. My first viewing of him today and he reminded me a lot of David Mooney.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I actually thought Benson played alright.

Ran the channels, gave decent lay offs to the wingers, came and got the ball etc.

Not his fault Wagstaff, Martin, Francis, Jackson, and Racon couldnt do anything to create chances for him IN THE BOX where he is most effective.

Think you're being a tad harsh on Martin and Racon there, I counted 4 times in the first half that they fired very decent balls into the box and Benson was actually not even in there. His positioning and movement for them was poor when we on top. His link up play in the build up looked very good but when they got it out wide he was nowhere to be seen.
  • Options
    for some reason it almost felt that dag&red gave him a bribe! ''ere paul, dont do nothing, watch the ball go past ya, good boy''
  • Options
    What concerns me about Benson is that he says that Charlton play a completely different game to Dagenham yet Parky has bought him..... has it occured to Parky that our style doesnt suit Benson ? Can he only play the Dagenham way...... I think Parky did well with his signings in the summer but has spent all his money on one player and that decision could cost him.
  • Options
    Why fire a ball in a box if nobody is in there?
  • Options
    I have no big moans at Martin or Racon today, a tiny bit poor BUT unlike (i say once again) BENSON they tryed! that sometimes is just as important to me esp today!
  • Options
    Wagstaff and Aniyinsah were, just Benson wasn't. I don't want to slate him but as I understand it he's a finisher and he didn't seem to be making much of an effort to get on the end of the decent balls in. As a midfieder or a winger you can only hit a decent pass if someone is willing to make the effort to be available.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I actually thought Benson played alright.

Agree. I like some of the things he does. Keeps it simple, tries to win headers and gets in the box. We tried to get crosses in but some were easily cut out, overhit or caught by the keeper.

He's a goalscorer, said to be better with his feet than his head. He's not getting chances to shoot in the box though.

He does give it away occasionally when he shouldn't but every striker at this level does.

Admittedly he can't run at players, but that's what other players are there for. If players support him he knows how to keep possession far more than the likes of McLeod and Dickson ever did.
  • Options
    Like you'd know...
  • Options
    I don't want to appear anti-Benson by the way, like I said he reminded me of Mooney (who I liked). Just second half I thought he went missing and when we were on top I felt he could have done more to score. I'd rate him 6 out of 10.
  • Options
    I dont mean any disrespect, but can not understand why anybody would give Benson 1% of praise?! he was at times getting decent balls played to him but he either could not be bothered! OR messed it up!
  • Options
    If Paul Benson is a professional footballer then I'm a monkey's uncle. Didn't want to know today, was barely bothering to chase or join attacks towards the end of the game. An absolute disgrace. If he didn't want to score against his mates he should have stayed at home today.

Toilet today beyond the first 20 mins when we could've literally had four or five with a bit more luck and composure. The game went from one extreme to the next. From where I was stood an astonishing penalty decision, from an equally laughable decision to give them a throw-in followed by them battering us for most of the second half with Worner showing well. Llera? Well he's just his normal today. A complete and utter liability. Then you get the feeling we've sneaked it with a superb Racon cross and Jackson header. Then they're back to their old ways, not bothering to pick someone up at the back-stick, free-header and 2-2. Completely unreal.

As a poster said towards the top.... "Hope Anyinsah was injured otherwise an awful substitution. He was our best player."

I wholeheartedly agree. If he wasn't then I'm just simply astounded
  • Options
    We really did need to put those chances away first half, there must have been at least 8 or more decent chances........

What is it with Benson, does he not have any pace to his game. He seems to play at a fast Jog, he lacks impact.

I assume that Reid must have had a twinge since he did not start and pulled something.

Really thought we would /Should win this by a couple of goals. So a point against one of the worst teams I have seen first half at the Valley is worrying.

Sorry, but not good enough!.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]I dont mean any disrespect, but can not understand why anybody would give Benson 1% of praise?! he was at times getting decent balls played to him but he either could not be bothered! OR messed it up!

In all fairness to him he played really well linking up play in the first half, he was a major part in the attacks but just couldn't get on the end of them.

As an aside I just read Parky was sent off a HT?
  • Options
    On the club site this is what John Still said about Benson:
    Paul Benson again failed to find the net for his new club and his former boss Still added: "You have to cross it early. The wide players here come inside too much. As soon as you don't cross it, defenders get tight to him.

"If he was with me, he would score 20 goals, no doubt about it. He is as natural a finisher as I've ever worked with. But you have to play to his strengths. Cross it early; he'll score goals."

Basically the coaches are not playing to is strengths and that is directly from a man who knows his game.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]If Paul Benson is a professional footballer then I'm a monkey's uncle. Didn't want to know today, was barely bothering to chase or join attacks towards the end of the game. An absolute disgrace. If he didn't want to score against his mates he should have stayed at home today.

Toilet today beyond the first 20 mins when we could've literally had four or five with a bit more luck and composure. The game went from one extreme to the next. From where I was stood an astonishing penalty decision, from an equally laughable decision to give them a throw-in followed by them battering us for most of the second half with Worner showing well. Llera? Well he's just his normal today. A complete and utter liability. Then you get the feeling we've sneaked it with a superb Racon cross and Jackson header. Then they're back to their old ways, not bothering to pick someone up at the back-stick, free-header and 2-2. Completely unreal.

As a poster said towards the top.... "Hope Anyinsah was injured otherwise an awful substitution. He was our best player."

I wholeheartedly agree. If he wasn't then I'm just simply astounded[/quote]

Couldnt agree with you more! thank god! It really did look like he didnt want to score or touch the ball or HELP!
  • Options
    Anysinah had a back strain accorind to the OS
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I missed the first half completely on CAFC Player, and only got some of the second half - till the bloody thing went down. Have read the above comments, but have to say I'm confused - below I have taken part of copy of the O/S report, which seems to indicate we were robbed.

Copy is ---- In what must have been one of the most one-sided halves of football seen at The Valley in the club's history, the hosts tore into their East End neighbours at will. Indeed, had Daggers been one goal behind at the break it would still have been something of a result for them.
    Ex-Dagger Paul Benson, strike partner Joe Anyinsah and winger Lee Martin were involved in everything as Parkinson's side played some sparkling football.
    Martin had already thumped a shot against the bar from the edge of the box and Simon Francis and Gary Doherty were also denied on the line before Llera rose to power home a header at a corner and put the hosts on their way. ----Copy ends

To be fair it does go on to say that the Daggers were better in the second half. However it reads to me from the comments above we were 'tosh'. I said yesterday that if we were unable to beat them I would begin to worry what the rest of the season holds for us, and now I need to know
    are we that bad???? Are the comments from those who were there made from disappointment at the result? or are we in the preverable brown stuff?
    Cheers guys
  • Options
    Paul Benson again failed to find the net for his new club and his former boss Still added: "You have to cross it early. The wide players here come inside too much. As soon as you don't cross it, defenders get tight to him.

"If he was with me, he would score 20 goals, no doubt about it. He is as natural a finisher as I've ever worked with. But you have to play to his strengths. Cross it early; he'll score goals."
  • Options
    Not sure what to make of today............we should have been 3 or 4 up by half time and out of sight, but we have been like this for years (doesn't matter who the manager is) we never finish off teams and then we suffer for it. Penalty or no penalty, by then it shouldn't have mattered but we all knew what was going to happen - even when we got the second.

For me, Benson is ok and probably the best striker we have out of him, Abbott, Sodje & Tuna - Anyinsah & Martin are really wide men/forwards and not natural strikers.......but we never give Benson the service he needs, which is crosses. He only had one today which he got on target and its a shame it was Jackson and not Benson on the end of Racons cross at the end.

MOTM was between Martin & Worner and I think they get a half each.............LLera is getting worse as every match goes by and Francis is no better than a pub player.

I'll say it again & again...........until wer get a 20 goal a season striker we will be stuck in this division (or even lower !) So far this season , in the league, our strikers have got just 2 between them !! (and that includes Anyinsah) - our defenders have more than that !!!!!!!

Parky will not get the sack, I'm pretty certain about that, but this is now his team & he needs to sort it out, QUICK.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Anysinah had a back strain accorind to the OS

Fair enough, I thought he must have been injured. The best forward we've had at the club for a couple of seasons. Quick, strong and wants it.
  • Options
    All i am finishing up with now is that Fortune needs to be playing for sure! Benson needs to go anywhere but the Valley! God damn we are going to need some miracle on tuesday, haha the thought of it already makes me sick!
  • Options
    Llera needs shooting. He was skinned far too often by a sunday league lump and kept on trying the hollywood pass. How many times is he going to try that cross filed 60 yard pass? Too much of a liability. Fair enough we haven't got much else but you might as well play him up front cos he won't have to try to bypass the midfield when passing! Too many silly mistakes and to top it off the referee and linesman were a joke. One of the weakest penalty decisions I have ever seen and all stemming from a throw on that should have been ours. Parkinson has to take some of the blame by losing his rag and getting sent off aswell. We were shocking in the second half and lacked even more ideas without Parky on the sidelines. God this is going to be another painful season! I'd take up the offer of the razor blade but I am off to Australia for a month over Xmas for the Ashes so at least I have something to look forward to.
  • Options

• Options
    really we should have been out of sight in the first half so the question is the finishing I mean we cant score goals, granted we scored 2 today but dagenham arent going to be setting this league alight. What concerns me is that we run out of ideas as soon as we go behind or have any pressure on us and just hoof the ball up feild, something has to change because we will be mid table if we carry on like this. Oh and how long does a team need to 'gel'????
  • Options
    inept, officials were a disgrace but lets not take the shine away from some truley woeful finishing/crossing/passing/defending, they are one of the worst teams iv seen at the valley and worner really kept us in it, other than maybe the one waggy save dont remember their keeper having to make 1 other save.

we got what we deserved after going one up I was screaming at our players to push up, we were playin d&r not bloody chelsea, god how we miss daily, not sure we'll pick up a win without him in the side if i'm honest no1 else pushes and drives the team up the field.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ive got alot of respect for parkinson tbh coz i like him. But fortune aint playing....WHY??? please can somebody tell me? sodje aint amazing but still trys to get the ball unlike Benson, so im eyes for tuesday... Fortune IN at the back! Benson OUT! (thats the most important thing)