Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2-2 Dagenham - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Anyinsah looked interested, he used his body strength and the ball stuck with him to allow the defence to get out. Martin is a class above but was bypassed in the 2nd half when we stopped short passing. The defence play deep because they and Jo Semedo are slow and daren't play a high line because they will lose a foot race. This means that oppo teams can get lucky with penalties and rebounds. This means we revert to long balls.

We have some players that other teams would kill for, but it isn't coming together. This was true of our last seasons in the Prem and the Champ and the same pattern is emerging now. Last season we were in the top 2 until January. This season we are struggling to make an impression on Exeter, D&R and Tranmere and were damn lucky not to lose to Oldham at home.

Seeing Lennie today reminded me that the 7 players he brought in didn't need a season to gel, as is so often repeated.

This needs some serious re-thinking of tactics before our worse nightmares come true. And I thought I was positive!
  • Options
    Can understand the criticism of Benson but how come Sodje gets off so lightly?

In one of my first postings on here I said Sodje drove me mad because he often didn't jump for the ball and so often let it soar over his head. I got slaughtered in response by some. Well if anyone who saw his second half cameo performance today still wants to defend him,I'll be interested to know why because I thought he was not only inept but actually downright lazy at times in not trying to close down Dagenham defenders.
  • Options
    Thought both full backs were poor today and have been from the games I've seen. Distribution by both is woeful and they don't get forward. Francis is just not good enough to be on the pitch. Benson looked pretty bad I have to say, although did link up well with Martin a few times in the first half although think that was more down to Martin's ability than his.

Llera is not quick enough and was done a number of times by their lump of a centre forward. Racon didn't do enough for me. Semedo did what he had to do. Martin was excellent 1st half when he received the ball on the deck, 2nd half he was rubbish but then not much he can do with the ball 20ft above his head.

Not sure what we can do about the striker problem we just plainly don't have anyone good enough to score the goals you need to get out of the league and that is single biggest problem.
  • Options
    In reference to comments above
    I thought it was semedo with the suicidal backheader that worner was alert to

You don't get a yellow card for every foul so that's the reason the ref didn't give a card for the penalty

Martins showboating ronaldo cross did reach wagstaff and his shot was blocked

Anyone know when this slow motion car crash that is known as charlton athletic football club , after curbs, will finish and where cos its getting a bit too embarassing and painful now
  • Options
    edited September 2010
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]h

Anyone know when this slow motion car crash that is known as charlton athletic football club , after curbs, will finish and where cos its getting a bit too embarassing and painful now

Probably on a Tuesday
  • Options
    Do Racon and Semedo turn into pumpkins if they pass the halfway line? If we are doing a ' all things Pardew' clearout then we'd do well to bin these two jokers.
    Add two centre halfs that operate about as quick as Vanessa Feltz's slimming pills and you get the kind of performance we are starting to get accustomed to.
  • Options
    Benson-shite
    Llera-shite
    Jacko-good
    Worner-good
    Ref-shite
    Roll on Tuesday and more dropped points!
  • Options
    As H earlier stated Lennies brand new team hit the ground running and had to swap grounds 8 games in.

Parky's record as assistant manager and manager is two relegations and abject failure inbetween. He is now on his third team as manager and has failed each time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Harry Gregory[/cite]As H earlier stated Lennies brand new team hit the ground running and had to swap grounds 8 games in.

Parky's record as assistant manager and manager is two relegations and abject failure inbetween. He is now on his third team as manager and has failed each time.

It's all relative though because Lennie's brand new team, unlike Parky's had a lot of money thrown at it at the time... Can't see how they're comparable at all...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sadly this was a game any regular or even semi regular Charlton fan could have written the script for. 20-30 minutes of dominance but just the one goal to show for it. The midfield go walkabout and an iffy decision from the ref (why do those iffy decisions never go our way?) for an equaliser.

I can only assume Anyinsah was injured because for me he was excellent for the half he played and was even making Benson look reasonable on occasion which was an achievement!

Second half we huffed and puffed but forgot all about the passing that enabled us to dominate for the first part of the match as the midfield continued their walkabout.

Before Jackson scored I said that only one team was going to win this and it wouldn't be us and, despite my delight at Jackson's goal, Charlton didn't let us down parting like the Red Sea to allow Dagenham an equaliser.

Benson was a disgrace in the second half making little or no effort to chase balls down a lot of the time. Akpo at least gives his all even if we wish his "all" was better!

The problems today were a vanishing midfield, a lazy striker and an increasing lack of confidence.

In short I think the dodgy penalty knocked the bollocks out of us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]In short I think the dodgy penalty knocked the bollocks out of us.

It would seem to be that way, (although I did think it was a penalty shout) but it would seem that something happens nigh on every game to knock the bollocks out of us. Parky scratches his head and gets frustrated because they stop playing the football that he wants them to play. Other teams fight back, we don't. We look crestfallen and hit the crumple zones. Highly Likeable Parky, quite apart from issues re his cautious approach and tactics isn't instilling the much needed confidence and fight, and shows no sign that he will be able to do so in the future. I am left vaguely hoping that RM has got his thinking cap on.
  • Options
    It was like the hare and the tortoise today. The first half hour we were outstanding. Martin was killing them. Francis, Racon and Anyinsah were playing delightful one touch football. I think we hit the post/bar three times and missed several chances. They were doing desperate last ditch defending and then we gradually went off the boil. In the second half it was an even, open game and Daggers probably shaded it for clear chances created. They missed an absolute sitter not long before Jackson's excellent goal.
    Not many refs would have given the penalty although it was a clear minor foul.
    We know Llera is pony on the ground but he did score with a great header from a corner.
    Francis is beginning to remind me of Luke Young. He played well today.
    Racon was determined to atone for his penalty and we all thought he had done the trick by creating Jackson's goal.
    Anyinsah looks very good at this level.
    Overall I'm gutted with this draw but the team is still bedding down.
    Don't slaughter Benson yet. Football is a confidence game. He just needs a goal.
  • Options
    First 20 minutes we tore into them, then we seemed to run out of ideas. When Anyinsah went off we stopped playing football and resorted to lumping it long. Why keep lumping it? Daggers back 4 were loving it as they could deal with long balls. This was a side who i don't think had scored away before day and they scored 2 and could've had 2 or 3 more. Worner kept us in it at times.

Benson looks terrible and is sooo slow.
    Sodje was awful.
    Miguel Llera - where do i start. If you were a scout and saw him playing in the Kent league you'd say he wasn't good enough. HOW is he a league one defender? He is a joke. Fry is better, a half fit Fortune is better. Get him out of the side!!
    The ref was f*cking terrible as well.
  • Options
    right then lee martin joined us he said in an interview that left wing was his best position! so when reid is not in the team why the f**ck isnt martin on left wing instead of waggy! does parkinson not know this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Deeply depressing watching after a superb first twenty minutes. The worst thing is you can see it coming, first we slow the game down, then people stop moving and before you know it we are playing aimless long balls for 45 minutes.
  • Options
    Sure Martin said the free role is his best position mate. Apologies if wrong but I'm pretty certain he said he can play on the wing or up front but in the free role behind the striker is his best
  • Options
    Thought Martin started great..
    If others would actually put as much effort in we might get somewhere.
    Decent officials would be nice as well.
  • Options
    Anyinsah is good as he has pace, something no defenders in this league especially like.

Thought before the start of the season we'd start slowly and improve later in the year. We're hard to beat but we lack cutting edge to win games.
  • Options
    Any criticism of Martin amazes me. How can people demand so much from someone who has taken a huge paycut to come here, and who (in my opinion) is head and shoulders above everyone else in our team in terms of creativity and technical ability. All the while Benson, the only player we pulled all the stops out to get, gets ratings of 'good link up man' or 'played alrite' in a game where he did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Benson is a complete waste of space.I saw him before he came to us and I've seen him with us, and nothing has changed my mind. Pace?zero...Control?zero....Movement?zero... can anyone please tell me what attributes he possesses that qualify him for a starting place in our team? I thought Aniyinsah made so much difference up front. The contrast between the first and second half could not have been greater, and that was down to the pace that we attacked with. Everyone had confidence going forward because they knew that Aniyinsah would be bombing forward and harassing defenders in the box.

Llera angers me more than any other player in our team (including Benson believe it or not lol!). I would much rather a half-fit Fortune any day. I think everyone after today, including Parkinson, will realise that he is just really a pile of crap.

What was up with Reidy? Didn't seem fit to me even when he came on, hope its not too serious as i feel we are a little lightweight in attack with wagstaff on the left.

A fit Fortune paired with Dailly/Docherty will sure us up nicely at the back, Aniyinsah seems like he has the pace we need up front and our midfield virtually picks itself,so its not all doom and gloom i suppose.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why's llera getting all the stick?? Neither goal is his fault! Firstly the penalty was shite reffing and the second was the LBs failure to stop the cross coming in!
  • Options
    This team clearly has no confidence to hold onto leads, it's like 'oh shit, we've taken the lead, what do we do now?' What you do is simple...don't panic! That is a clearly a confidence issue which is firmly down to the manager. This is all the more clear when we concede goals on 45+2 and 90+3, and that is for this game alone. 2 or more years we have endured conceding late goals and yet we still suffer. How can people honestly say that Parkinson is a decent manager? How can people be positive each week. Nothing will change until there's a change at management level but that is not going to happen so lot's more of this to come I'm afraid.
  • Options
    It's simple to say 'don't panic', but harder to acchieve. It doesn't help when Parky goes ballistic and gets sent to the stands, it just hypes everyone up so the focus switches to perceived injustice rather than what's happening on the pitch. Parky was very much needed pitch side to encourage and calm everyone down and get the team to stay focussed, but he lost his discipline, and it cost us. I think he's very much a decent manager, but not a very good one. If he can learn from his mistakes, all is not lost.
  • Options
    No apologies for repeating myself week after week.

Yet again, points dropped to a team that will be in a relegation dogfight.

To all those last week that were saying "don't overreact, we are only 3 points from the top" it's time to get real and face up to another year in this cesspit division.

Suddenly those next 6 games don't look so tasty do they ?

We could see a relegation dogfight ourselves, followed by running out of dosh completely.
  • Options
    I have always been supportive of Parky but when he keeps picking players like Llera who has been nothing short of gash since day one you have to wonder if he knows what he is doing.

Is a 40% fit Jon Fortune honestly worse than that clown. I wouldnt want him playing for us if we in the Ryman.

We still have a midfield to be feared in this division, Martin and Reid can be unplayable at times but when you have an ageing, slow back 4 and a short non league goalkeeper, chances are we are going to concede fairly regularly.

Might be a bit too early to get on Benson's back, but there is a big step up from playing for White Ensign to the 'top' of league one. The Andy Hunt comparisons might be off the mark, more Waddock Hunt than Andy Hunt.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Valiantphil[/cite]We could see a relegation dogfight ourselves, followed by running out of dosh completely.
    This isn't like the 08/09 side. Even if we're nowhere near getting promoted, we are at least hard to beat under Parky. Not saying mid table is good enough, but Parky won't take us down.
  • Options
    The recognised strikers are not scoring - you cannot be certain that we will not go down.
  • Options
    Can't be certain no but I don't think we're a bottom 6 side.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valiantphil[/cite]The recognised strikers are not scoring - you cannot be certain that we will not go down.

Going down is next season mate... get with the program...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Why's llera getting all the stick?? Neither goal is his fault! Firstly the penalty was shite reffing and the second was the LBs failure to stop the cross coming in!

Because enough is enough. He is useless. He can head a ball and that is it. He performs once every 6-7 games and that isn't good enough.

He creates panic at the back and breeds nervous chaos amonst our other players. You obviously weren't there yesterday as time and time again he got himself in piss poor positions and was turned inside out by the carthorse playing upfront for them.

His distribution is pony. He has one pass. Cross field to no one.

He brings nothing but problems to the table.