Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2-2 Dagenham - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    started well, should have been at least two goals to the good, got worse. Need to play Waggy on the right, needs to be in team, top scorer. Thought Benson was poor, Martin ok to start with and then drifted. Anyinsah did well, would be a good foil for Abbott imo. Real problem is CM, could have easily played Jacko there today with Fry at LB or even Martin there with Waggy/Reid wide. Defence all over the shop, all if them. Thought 1st half we were ok but on reflection they were poor and made us look good. 2nd half they should have done us. Couple of excellant saves from Worner. Best decision made by Parky was giving Ross a chance. No need to play the loanee if Worner is doing ok. 1 win in 6 and a lucky win at that. 2 points from the bottom two teams. Nowhere near good enough.

And Parky sent off. Really needs to get a grip and show an example. However, how long can Murray give him before deciding that unless he does something to save it this season will go down the swaneee too.
  • Options
    If akpo sodje is a footballer we have great away support ,truly awful......
    I thought francis done ok today and I like charltons new no.1 keeper ,although his lack of stature could go against him
    Great first half hour which gives me hope but we were against one of the poorest sides I've seen us play in 34 years of watching
    How can reid not start is beyond me
    Martin in that first half was a delight to watch , what about the ronaldo cross !
    Anyinsah looked string quick and hungry
    Benno looks a bit mooney like and there may be a decent striker in there, time will tell
    Racon looked much improved but I thought it was bizarre the way jackson didn't go and congratulate him for creating his goal
    Poor second half but if our poxy management/ coaching staff can get these players up for tuesday (miracles do happen) and get us to play for longer than half hour for the rest of the season I genuinely believe we have got a decent side in there , its the management that don't inspire me or the poxy team
    Auto promotion 0% play offs 50% and another year as south londons wankiest joke club 50%
  • Options
    edited September 2010
  • Options
    Oh dear. One tries to stay positive and get behind Parkinson. But it is getting increasingly difficult, isn't it?

We seem to be getting worse, not better. Those quotes from Still about not using Benson properly are pretty damning, aren't they (even though he was clearly on a bit of a wind-up) ?

Something has to change - and pretty quickly. It's all very well saying we're only eight games in and we're only five points off the top. But equally we are only six points above Tranmere in 24th place!

Something has to change. But I'm not sure it will. We could still challenge for the play-offs. Or we could be in a relegation fight - particularly now we seem to be picking up knocks and injuries and the squad is going to get increasdingly stretched. I honestly think that it really could go either way...
  • Options
    until today D&R hadn't scored away from home. 2 points from them and Tranmere. Oh dear. Parky, no clue of formation or tactics.
  • Options
    Its very interesting that in this thread so far Parky is getting off pretty lightly. He has what I think is at this level a very decent bunch of players who at this moment are woefully underperforming and not showing even the slightest sign of looking like a team that can challenge. The team has no shape and looks lacking in practically every department and I don`t mean personnel. I am worried that this season is starting to fizzle out already. Failure once again this season is unthinkable. We need to turn this around PDQ. Very disapointed and depressed by Charlton once again.
  • Options
    i really cant believe parky chased benson all summer for his signature surely we can look for someone better than him because he aint good enough just like all our forwards,today we should have been out of sight at half time but yet again our forwards didnt produce and unless they start scoring parky will be under pressure more than ever and this side wont even get in the play offs .
  • Options
    Your right it is 1 of them times where it can go promotion or relegation ! And to 'oohaahmortimer' Yes that Martin cross was beautiful to watch and he played some amazing football in the first half. The day Charlton go into League 2, i will cry like a baby! Chin up! i think we will get better!
  • Options
    For 30 minutes I really believed that we had clicked. We passed well, attacked with pace, Martin caused havoc, Anyinsah looked a handful and Worner might as well have got out a deck chair.

The 60 minutes that followed were as turgid as I have seen for sometime. We utterly utterly woeful in the 2nd half. Without Dailly we are a rudderless ship. The defending in the second period was shambolic. I place the blame for the defensive fragility squarely at the feet of Llera. I have refrained from hammering him in the past, but enough is enough. He is utterly useless. He has no football brain at all and no idea how to defend. He doesn't make a variety of mistakes, he makes the same mistake over an over again. He gets far to close to his forward, he then gets turned with ease and the forward is away.

This might be slightly controversial but I also think Worner was a problem today. Fair play to him for the 2 saves he made, but he is no presence in the box. Everytime a ball came in from a wide area he flapped and panic ensued. Fair play to him for coming but his stature means he is never going to dominate his area.

Hugely frustated with Martin today. Shot his bolt in 30 mins for me. Went missing in the 2nd period. Needs to manage his game better.

If Wagstaff isn't on the right he shouldn't be in the team. As an attacking threat he was utterly anonymous today. He'd have gone off at half time if I were in charge.

Semedo poor today. Is the captaincy effecting him? If his English isn't the best, can he really be a leader? Doc as skipper for me.

Won't slaughter Benson, but something isn't right. He looks lost, not sure he understands his role. Either us not playing to his strengths or he isn't up to it.

Changes on Tuesday. I'd play a 50% Fortune infront of Llera. Fry at left back, Jackson into midfield.

Worrying times.
  • Options
    Where the f**k was parky?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Worner kept us in the game at times with some great saves though had a couple of drops when under pressure, Racon showed flashes, didn't think the Doc did too much wrong, Francis reminds me of a right footed Herman, Joe and Martin offer us something different and if you don't give Benson decent service he hasn't got any tricks and ain't ever going to beat the opposition for pace.

Couldn't understand why at no point did we try and switch Waggy and Martin at times.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    As has been said, if we don't put the chances away we get what we deserve.

We won the first half, they won the second half, is a draw a fair result?

Even if it is a fair result it's not good enough to get us up and out of this division.

I now watch games more in hope than expectations. On the Parky @ Bromley thread it was reported that Parky seemed to think that Lloyd Sam didn't seem to play as well in front of the East Stand as the West as he didn't have the bench yelling in his ear. I think Martin may suffer from the same problem. I thought he was excellent in the first half and faily anonymous in the second. Having said that I don't think he was the only player with that problem today.

Oh well, roll on Tuesday.
  • Options
    Dont know where to start
    1) first 20mins ive never seen a more one sided match even when Stockport came here last year,
    2) after that we gave a poor team easy chances to get back into the game (Racons header) backwards
    3) refs decison changed the matched (PLEASE SOMEONE EXPLAIN ME WHY HE GAVE IT)
    4) second half they came out got in our faces like Notts County did and Tranmere, without great saves from Worner could of been losing
    5) when we got that goal from Jackson, could it be another game we won where we shouldnt of
    6) how did we give away goal in injury time after we scored
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]Where the f**k was parky?

Sent to the stand at half time
  • Options
    benson ,abbott , and akpo just aint good enough these guys are not going to get us promoted mediocre all of em . give tuna a chance he has been patient and to be honest the lad has never been given a chance.
  • Options
    wagstaff was shite so was llera that was never a penalty overall our second half performance was a disgrace
  • Options
    we are sh*t. face it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]Oh well, roll on Tuesday.
    And Palace got stuffed too
  • Options
    Maybe your right, maybe Tuna should get a chance! ill agree with that.
  • Options
    Should have buried them in the first half.... What worries me is this point has come up a few times already this season and we just don't end up doing it...
    I'm a supporter & cheer the lads on at games but the second half even got to me, we came out and looked like we let the stupid equalizer get to us, and more worrying, D&R simply looked like they wanted it more than us...
    Supposedly more "walk by" fans are needed this season than any other season. If that's the case, something better change, because frustrating performances like this will even drive many season ticket holders away..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Parky should be saked for the fact he played Llera in front of fry and fortune.Disgusting decision and Benson is shit so is Abbott and so is Sodje and they are all parky's signings
  • Options
    Best player - Worner. Although will never be top class - too small, can't deal with crosses.
    Acquitted themselves well, but in patches - Martin, Racon, Francis, Ansinyah.
    Would be great if the game consisted of heading - Llera.
    Nice link up player but not a striker - Benson.
    Waste of space - Sodje.
    Mediocre - the rest.
    Incompetent - the referee.
  • Options
    On the balance of play a draw was a fair result. First 20 minutes we played our best stuff all season, rest of the half was 50/50. Second half was awful and without Worner we would have been buried.

Still early days (and only 2 defeats) but at present this team has not gelled at all. Appears Parky is not sure of best X1 and it could be we lack quality in midfield. Last season in this league the teams that did well all had 20+ goalscorers. We look weaker up front than we were last season.

Llera just seems to be getting worse. Martin has a lot of skill but is not playing for the team. Benson I hope when he gets a chance buries it and looks like a natural finisher as at present his play outside the box is ordinary and his ability with the ball at feet looks ‘average’.

How unfit is Fortune? He must have one leg in a cast to be worse than Llera.

Having been sent off at Carlisle and Breaker walking in the JPT it does seen ridiculous for Parky to get sent off again. Yes the ref and lino were idiots and it was a soft penalty. But at half time his job is in the dressing room dealing with the players, not rowing with the ref in the tunnel.
  • Options
    With a bit of composure we should have been at least 3 up in the first half hour.Good link up play by Francis and Martin.Dagenham couldn't handle the pace and drive of Joe A.Did he get injured?Waggy got into very good positions but his first touch and close control have to improve.He should play on the right.We had a lot of crosses but no quality on them.Only two crosses were quality.One was a Francis cross in the second half which Benson got his head to and the Racon cross that led to the goal.Jackson's corners were well taken.Benson wasn't bad the first half but like the rest went to pot second half.
    Our defence is abysmal.Its not a question of one player.Francis had a good first half but was poor second half.Were was he in their second goal?Unless we get strong defensively
    we will continue to lose midfield.
    I hope Joe A is fit for Tuesday.Martin was unstoppable the first half hour but once he stopped and Joe went off we had no attacking threath.
    Tuesday cant come quick enough.
  • Options
    why wasn't it a penalty ? It was a foul, it was in the box, so a penalty is awarded. Even the ref's assessor said that elsewhere on the pitch it would have been a foul and a free-kick so a foul is a foul and if in the box a penalty. It doesn't have to be a worse foul in the box to get a penalty but just a foul. We scream penalty at far less. It didn't lose us the game, we did that ourselves, not the ref.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Plenty of negativity - and that's fair enough. But the question is, what should be done about it?

Well, in the vain hope that some of the management team get to hear about things posted on this site, let me say it again:

Martin into central midfield. Play five in there if you have to (I wouldn't - certainly not at home to Dagenham & Redbridge) by playing three at the back. So that's Martin and Semedo in central midfield with Racon or McCormack, and Wagstaff and Reid out wide, for example. But otherwise, just play four ... and make sure that Martin has the freedom to attack and run at opposition defences.

I've seen three full games from Benson now. He has all the hallmarks of a non-League player. Underhit passes, thinks he has more time on the ball than he really has, no trickery. I get tired of hearing how he is a natural goalscorer. Such players generally come off the field having had a host of goal-scoring attempts and several times today he had a chance to shoot from the edge of the box or just outside and chose not to. That is not a natural goalscorer. And easy for decent defenders to deal with.

Parkinson has some decent players in his squad (and some rubbish). But until he addresses the issue of midfield creativity, results like today will remain commonplace. Let's not forget how lucky we were to collect the three points in our last home game. And I don't want to hear how we are only 5 points off the top and that we should judge the team at Christmas. Do you have to wait until the entire ship is underwater before you accept that it is sinking?

In the Championship, QPR are showing how potential promotion teams should behave - thumping lesser teams by 3 or 4 goals. Not scraping out the odd 1-0 victory and being satisfied with a point at Tranmere ("a hard place to come to").

I said it some weeks ago ... this squad is going nowhere.

But shuffle the pack, Parkinson. Take some initiative, Parkinson. Gamble a little more, Parkinson (especially at home) ... and we may at least get the team to perform to its potential.

And that may be good enough for a play-off place. Just about.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]why wasn't it a penalty ? It was a foul, it was in the box, so a penalty is awarded. Even the ref's assessor said that elsewhere on the pitch it would have been a foul and a free-kick so a foul is a foul and if in the box a penalty. It doesn't have to be a worse foul in the box to get a penalty but just a foul. We scream penalty at far less. It didn't lose us the game, we did that ourselves, not the ref.

what about the throw in just before the penalty that should have gone our way and not dagenham's??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnnyH2[/cite]

How unfit is Fortune? He must have one leg in a cast to be worse than Llera.

Best joke of the day. There's not a lot to smile about tonight. But I must admit that made me laugh out loud when I read it (even though I think it is slightly unfair...)
  • Options
    I personally think that one of the problem that Parky has is Lee Martin where to play him, is he a centre forward, Left winger,Right winger, he had a great shot at the start, hes got very nice feet but just doesnt look like he fits in the team
  • Options
    Game of 2 halves completely. I still can't see why that was a penalty. From where i was it just looked like their player jumped for the ball racon stayed on the ground, their player came down and the ref pointed to the spot. Even Dagenham looked confused. Interested to see the replay later. First half i honestly thought we were gonna spank them all over the park, but yet again we can't perform well for the whole game. We tired and let them attack us in the second half. There were some positives and negatives.

Positives -

Worner pulled off some outstanding saves today, one from a header that i thought was a goal all the way but he managed to claw it out. Looks to be improving every and deserves his chance ahead of the loanee. Martin played like his life depended on it in the first half, he slowed in the second half, but i just like watching him play. Wish he could do it for a whole match. Good header for the goal from Llera and to me did nothing majorly wrong, but he still makes me nervous. Anyinsah looked good to me and when he didn't come back out for the 2nd half i could only assume he was injured (which OS says he is).

Negatives -

Wagstaff didn't get given the ball at all in the first half and looked out of place on the left. Francis and Llera in the same defence worries me big time. How the hell NOTW gave Francis 8/10 last week I've no idea, but he can't tackle and his passes are suspect. With Solly injured this is one player is guaranteed to be playing on Tuesday. Benson didn't look up for it at all in the 2nd half. 1st half i felt he put himself about a bit but gets dispossed easily. John Still is spot on though with him in that he needs the service to him in the box, we don't play like that so there's not point him playing. We should adapt to his strengths, not bring someone who knows how to score goals how he plays down to our level. Yet to be convinced with us but still hoping for the best. Losing Reid to injury is gonna be a bugga because he has loads of pace.

I just think the team needs to watch the first half again and try to play like that on Tuesday. We looked really good, but should have scored more and put the game to rest.

A draw in hindsight was probably fair. D&R came out in the second half and really attacked us. Wanted the 3 points but for a neutral a draw was fair i'm sorry to say. Wish we'd kill these games off when we are on top like the first half.