Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Vegetarian Football Fans

I was just reading the Xmas Dinners thread and was surprised too see even one vegetarian. I'm a veggie myself and the amount of ridicule/amazement I get from people I know when they discover I like football AND yet don't eat meat is astonishing. It's almost as if they can't go together, and should be a dark, hidden secret!! Just wondered what the headcount would be for fellow Charlton life veggies and whether you get the "you must be too tired to cheer", and "aren't you always hungry eating lentils all the time?" I honestly thought I might be the only one but am now hopeful we could hit double figures!

Comments

• I must come out of the larder and declare veggieness. Used to play in an all veggie midfield as well.
  • edited December 2010
    We have 2 Charlton Veggies in our house!!

Should we start a facebook campaign for decent Vegetarian food at the Valley?
  • No we should avoid stereotypical veggie things like facebook campaigns. Lets arm ourselves and overthrow whoever we want. That will teach them.
  • I'd back that plan! I don't even bother looking now! Imagine a veggie hotdog, now that would be nice on a chilly tuesday evening.
  • I nail my cruelty-free colours to the CL veggie mast
  • You wont find any meat in those pies! ; )
  • I was pleasantly surprised as well. We've strayed into veggie food quite slowly over the years, we're not yet totally rigid about it, but you can add 2 more to your list.
  • i'm in.

i'll throw tofu at people.
  • Up to 7 already! I was SO wrong, I'm not alone!
  • Have been a proper veggie (not yer cop-out fish eating variety) for over 25 years. But the thought of vegetarian food at a footy club still feels odd!! Have never seen it, or even looked for it, at the Valley or any away ground...
  • Sponsored links:

• My dad is a veggie, he's 53 now and has been since 20. He never eats at charlton, or drinks.
  • [cite]Posted By: InCurbsWeTrusted[/cite]Have been a proper veggie (not yer cop-out fish eating variety) for over 25 years. But the thought of vegetarian food at a footy club still feels odd!! Have never seen it, or even looked for it, at the Valley or any away ground...

Got some lovely Dosais at the big Madurai derby a few years ago. But nothing in the UK.
  • At Charlton and other football grounds the best you can hope for is a lukewarm, very manky, quadrupled priced, cheese and onion pastie served with a distainful smirk. I never bother, the same goes for booking the catering which I sometimes feel like doing for birthdays, Christmas, or end of season.
    I think there was a veggie footballer once, played for Grimsby or someone like that. I don't eat meat or fish, and have learned to cope with being very much in the minority, and generally annoying to other people for reasons I don't fathom.
  • I'm a cop out fish eater, but I haven't eaten meat for over two decades.......

This is what you want from football grounds (most cheese and onion pies are horrible):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter_pie

...now reinstated at Deepdale; so popular I get asked to buy a load of them and bring them down south for friends and family as they are pretty fantastic!
  • i've evolved too. not eaten meat or fish for nearly 20 years. Like others I tend not to eat at footie grounds
  • am right here

15 years and counting

have learned to cut the conversation short when the old - 'So why are you vegetarian?' comes out....
    doesn't matter what you say next.... the person asking just wants to tell you why they think it's a stupid idea

aren't like 15% of the UK population veggie now, though?
  • I'm a vegetarian... And so is my wife.
  • All them poor chickens going too waste!
  • I was a full on vegetarian for 8 years - back on the meat side now though, sorry!
  • Sponsored links:

• Been Meat & fish Free for 31 years.............
  • I don't eat meat but don't classify myself as a total vegetarian as I eat fish.
  • I'm a veggie that eats fish. Rarely eat at the football, but I've always thought that fastfood places must miss out on a lot of custom through not serving veggie stuff. Not just for the veggies, but all their meat eating friends that get persuaded to eat somewhere else instead.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: PhoenixSiv[/cite]am right here

15 years and counting

have learned to cut the conversation short when the old - 'So why are you vegetarian?' comes out....
    doesn't matter what you say next.... the person asking just wants to tell you why they think it's a stupid idea

aren't like 15% of the UK population veggie now, though?[/quote]

I'm far from someone who thinks the veggie lifestyle is a stupid idea - especially as a meat-eater who goes out of his way to eat the occasional meat-free meal for variety's sake. But perhaps you can answer one thing about vegeterianism that I've NEVER understood...

Why do many veggies eat those disgusting meat substitute things such as Quorn? Why would people who are for many years happy without meat still want to eat food that has the same shape, texture and essence about it, only with even less taste?

Surely actual vegetable-based meals are far more enjoyable? At least I think so, anyway... maybe I've missed something about the wonders of tofu. Anyone shed some light?
  • Yeah i never understood that. That fake bacon makes me want to heave!
  • My missus is a veggie.

Pain in the arse on xmas day
  • veggie for quarter of a century (although on the cop out side I do eat shellfish about once a year or so)
  • Been a veggie as long as I can remember. My wife is too but my son, brought up a veggie, has turned to the dark side.
    I've never liked the thought of eating meat. It did cause me some problems when I was in infants school, the dinner ladies used to try a make me eat the same stuff as all the others. That was the 1960's though so I guess I was a little bit strange to them.
    Also I have never felt the need to have a meat substitute.
    One thing I have noticed with meat eaters; they are always trying to catch you out or doubting the fact you are are or are not a veggie.
    It doesn't bother me that people eat meat, I just find it a bit wierd wanting to eat the insides of animal.
  • [cite]Posted By: liamhappe[/cite]
    Why do many veggies eat those disgusting meat substitute things such as Quorn? Why would people who are for many years happy without meat still want to eat food that has the same shape, texture and essence about it, only with even less taste?
    Speaking for myself, I have those things simply because I like the taste of meat. I like it, but I wouldn't kill for it.. ;)
  • Liam and Andy - Meat substitutes are convenient, that's why veggies eat them. If I've got time or I'm cooking for someone else I'll cook a proper veggie meal, but if I've just got in from work and can't be arsed, I'll chuck a couple of Linda McCartney's sausages in the oven. I'm not a big fan of Quorn, think it's a bit dry, but Macca's range is quite good.

Also, if you're a recent veggie, meat substitutes can be a handy stopgap while you learn to cook proper veggie food.

By the way, tofu isn't really a meat substitute in the same way as Quorn, as people have been eating it for thousands of years. If you marinade it so it picks up some flavour, and fry it so it's nice and crispy, it can be quite tasty - goes best in stir fries.