Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vegetarian Football Fans

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2010
    Having tried both meat and the substitute..I think I'd rather a bowl of Tofu..
  • Options
    We use the Marinated tofu and buy sausages that's all, rest vegetables. We did used to buy Wicken Fen sauasages and i loved the Mushroom and Tarragon ones, but I have not seen them for ages - any one know where i can get them from
    Thanks
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Been Meat & fish Free for 31 years.............

I think I was behind you in the queue for food at Ellen Road in the play offs and you was offered onions in a bun. I only remember this cos I nearly pissed myself laughing and it helped pass the stupid long time we had to wait in the ground before kick off.
  • Options
    The meat substitute thing is often about convenient sources of protein, Quorn pieces and mince are quite good to cook with if you use lots of interesting stuff in a stir fry for instance, absorbs the tastes pretty well.
    Vegetarians are always getting the meat substitute thing thrown in their faces, almost accused of hypocrisy...but does the re-naming of dead animals as things like bacon, and gammon also hint at an attempt by meat eaters to distance themselves from the reality?
    There are a lot more veggie lifers than I ever imagined.
  • Options
    Been meat free for 17 years or so (eat fish, but not the farmed variety).

Just to expand this debate a bit, over 6 foot and about 17 and a half stone. Get very fed up with the skinny verge stereotype, how do the rest of the .on meat eaters fair on the bulk front!!
  • Options
    Also fairly chunky - just over 6 foot and 15 stone. The skinny veggie thing is a myth.

Maybe we could get enough burly types together to form a CL vegetarian rugby team? :-)
  • Options
    feckin hell can't believe a fat bast**d like you is a veggie :-)
  • Options
    Fair enough. Thanks for replies.

Was something worth asking as someone who loves vegetables and veg-orientated meals but gives up on meat replacement stuff after about two bites.
  • Options
    Count me in too mate- have been a vegetarian for more years than I care to remember! Even now some people still react as if I have just flown in from Mars when I say I am a vegetarian. I also frequently get the comments about burgers, sausages and bacon and I just respond that I don't think the meat eating world has a monopoly on circle shaped burger patties or banana shaped sausages!
  • Options
    We are highest on the food chain, survival of the fittest ect!

Are you lot vegies because you dislike meat, or is it the killing?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]The meat substitute thing is often about convenient sources of protein, Quorn pieces and mince are quite good to cook with if you use lots of interesting stuff in a stir fry for instance, absorbs the tastes pretty well.
    Vegetarians are always getting the meat substitute thing thrown in their faces, almost accused of hypocrisy...but does the re-naming of dead animals as things like bacon, and gammon also hint at an attempt by meat eaters to distance themselves from the reality?
    There are a lot more veggie lifers than I ever imagined.[/quote]

No accusations of hypocrisy from me. Just having tried a few meat subs in my time as a curious gastronaut, I never understood why a vegetarian would, if they plumped for a burger for instance, eat that wannabe gunk over a fresh vegetable patty.

The earlier reply of convenience is fair enough. Though I try to dodge processed meat products and fast food as much as possible, there's obviously plenty of times I'm caught with little time (or that I'm just smashed at the weekend) and take the easy way out.
  • Options
    Been a veggie all my life as parents were veggie.
    Never eat at football grounds. The valley Cafe does a great beans on toast with chips that does the trick.
  • Options
    Have been veggie for nearly 30 years now, but partner is a meat eater. Whenever we go out for a meal she is always served the veggie dish and the meat is given to me!! On the skinny veggie myth point as well. The veggie portions are invariably smaller with main courses often looking like starters as if veggies are expected to be people who eat little.

I once was in a pub listening to two blokes going on endlessly about how pallid and skinny veggies are, so I interrupted and told them "I am a veggie". One of them looked me up and down and said "Well, you're the fattest vegetarian I've ever seen". Still not sure if that was a compliment or not!!
  • Options
    Gosh.....are all lifers veggie? It is a phenomenal proportion on here it seems to me!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]We are highest on the food chain, survival of the fittest ect!

With me its the dislike of meat. Although the thought of killing an animal for food is an alien one for me.

As for being the apex preditor, us veggies dont have to hunt our food we walk to it and pick it. Brains over caveman brawn.
    We are the higher form life.
  • Options
    I'm surprised you've all got the energy to type on this thread! :-)
  • Options
    All of this "meat or veg?" talk, be it on the matter of taste or morality, is ignoring the most important thing here:

Fresh fish and seafood beats both, hands down

:-D
  • Options
    Not a veggie - you only have to look in the mirror and see your teeth to know we are supposed to eat meat - but more than happy to eat meat free meals. There's a great veggie restaurant in Albufeira that we visit and recommend to people, but the number of supposedly inteligent people who look at you as if you are mad when you suggest it amazes me, like they are going to die if they have one meal without meat in it...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]I'm surprised you've all got the energy to type on this thread! :-)

Oi you, get your muscle out of our meating!

[cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]We are highest on the food chain, survival of the fittest ect!

The killing is part of it, or more precisely the manner of killing. Hubby has cholesterol problems, being veggie is a whole lot cheaper, there's the over fishing and ocean food chain problem ( I love puffins!), farmed fish tastes crap and veggie food is just so incredibly varied and tasty. But the biggest factor is that we are just appalled by the cruelty involved in today's factory farming and we simply don't want any part of it.
  • Options
    Just out of interest can I just ask how many of you Veggie's would prepare a meal with meat in it? My Nan and Uncle are Veggie's but don't mind preparing meat based meals whereas I've come across a few who cringe even at the thought of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]Just out of interest can I just ask how many of you Veggie's would prepare a meal with meat in it? My Nan and Uncle are Veggie's but don't mind preparing meat based meals whereas I've come across a few who cringe even at the thought of it.
    Personally I wouldn't want to do it at all...mind you a couple of months ago I showed my wife a way of cooking fish in foil so I compromised there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]I'm surprised you've all got the energy to type on this thread! :-)

I paced myself ;-)
  • Options
    Have to agree with SaoPaulo, the meat substitute is convenient. Most 'ordinary' places that do a veggie option only give you a meat substitute. Its easy for them, they don't have to think about it. Quorn is sh*te though. Things have moved on from Quiche being the veggie option, it now seems to be in the tagliatelle (sp?) phase, but could do a lot better.

If you go to a country with a history of abstaining from meat you can always find convenient veggie options Samosas, Pakoras, Spring rolls, tempurah etc. Also tofu done properly is delicious, I ate it for 20 years in the UK and thought it was crap, until I tried it done properly in China.

Apart from veggies not being fat we also never eat anything unhealthy, or so it would seem if you ever book a meal on a flight. Everybody else gets a nice white roll, roasted veg and a bit of cake - a veggie gets cardboard brown bread, a salad (naturally no dressing) and a bloody"fresh" fruit salad.

SaoPaulo - how do you do in Brazil for veggie stuff, Spain is impossible outside the big cities. Infact ouside of Mongolia and Argentina its probably the worst place to be a veggie.
  • Options
    Sicko's the lot of yer!!

Oh well, I guess it leaves more meat for the real men on here!

Had some lovely Venison the other day, oh yes and Rabbit pie, that was nice! Hmmm...lovely!
  • Options
    When my daughter was about 9, she came home from school and announced that she was going to be a vegetarian except for sausages and bacon.
  • Options
    Not a veggie but often eat that way. I have partaken in The Valley's cheese and onion pasty many a time and very nice it is too.

As an aside I have a big loathing for people who call themselves vegetarians and yet eat fish. You are not a vegetarian, you are a non-meat eater, why is the label important to you? And why do you believe that mammals don't deserve to die but fish do?
  • Options
    Fish only have a 3 second memory, they'll forget if we kill them to eat them. That's my justification. Also I call myself veggie because it's much more well known than pescetarian.
  • Options
    have been a veggie since 9:30 this morning, and to tell you the truth am now close to giving it up.

tbh, i really enjoy fruit and veg and the vegetarians i know have introduced me to some lovely dishes.
    still cant beat a ribeye steak though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: GNelson[/cite]Fish only have a 3 second memory, they'll forget if we kill them to eat them. That's my justification. Also I call myself veggie because it's much more well known than pescetarian.

And non-meat eater is difficult to understand?

I just don't understand this need to label yourself. I don't eat fruit. I don't have a name for it, I just tell people I don't eat fruit. My personal belief is that you want to be somehow 'trendy ' by calling yourself a veggie whereas simply 'non-meat eater' shows you as not really committed to the greater meaning of the term and basically just a bit fussy.
  • Options
    Since the 80s, I've been a non-meat eater for medical reasons (can't break down animal fat as it putrifies in my intestine causing me all sorts of problems) but I've always occasionally eaten fish.

Other people call me a vegetarian - but I always refer to myself as a 'piscatarian' with a touch of humour, as there are enough people around who can't seem to fathom what that is.

As far as eating meat substitutes, I've never seen the point ......a bit like meat & two veg without the meat.
    There are so many tasty recipes out there, from curries, chinese style, italian pasta dishes, any non-meat eater is spoilt for choice.

I never used to give any thought about the killing of animals for their flesh ......but recently, I've seen one too many TV programmes about what is supposed to be humane putting down of animals - the reality was the horrific bloodied butchery of animals while their were still conscious. You could feel their fear.

In the 21st century man is still the most primitive and barbaric of animals.