Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vegetarian Football Fans

Comments

• Options

PS: Somebody else posted about there being a veggie footballer - Stanley Matthews was a vegetarian, and more recently Phil Babb.

Phil Babb lost his meat and was left with his two veg, when sliding into the goal post in front of the Liverpool Kop.

• Options
    My father in law is not a veggie but is a Hindu and does not eat beef. I recall the time when he bought a cheeseburger and was angry when he found it had beef in it. His rationale was that a lamb burger is made of lamb, chicken burger made of chicken etc... but a cheeseburger is made of.....beef - but with a rubbery cheese slice in it!

Being married into an asian family, I agree that South Indian food (ie Dosa etc) is fantastic and there is so much variety that you could go without meat yet not really miss it (in my opinion). Prefer it to the more common North Indian food, although average Indian restaurants do not serve 'real' indian food and most are not even run by Indians!

There is a good (or used to be) Keralan restaurant nr Oxford Circus, called the Kerela. Alternatively, the whole RASA chain of restaurants are worth a visit. I used to eat at RASA Express at least once a week nr Euston - it was £5 for lunch meal.

Sorry, in true CL fashion I have moved this from veggie land to curry land!

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Drummond Street nr Euston. A whole road full of veggie heaven.
    The best Asian food I have ever tasted.
    Also the Brie Louise is just round the corner, former CAMRA pub of the year.
  • Options

I was a veggie for years and years, but cracked at a market in Bologna watching one of the stall holders slicing the parma ham.  I bought a stack of it and went down to the square and ate it like a hungry dog, out of the paper.  I was on the slippery slope after that.  I guess it's why they have to put dogs down after they've bitten the postie, once.

Don't really get the ridicule of veggies - I get far more irritated by folk that can't eat rabbits because "they're cute" or can't have a whole fish "because of its eyes" or can't eat any offal because it's disgusting, but they happily eat burgers that are made from bumholes and noses.  If you're going to eat animals eat, then eat the whole thing.  Such a shame that you can't get sheeps heads for soup nowadays because the masses only want uniform sized slices of meat served bought in plastic trays from Tescos.

• Options
    I wonder if I could get a veg option up the oxo tower

I'll get me coat.
  • Options
    The reason I'm a "veggie"....

Do you believe it would be better to test on people and if so would you volunteer?
  • Options

Do you believe it would be better to test on people and if so would you volunteer?
    Thats a definete maybe:
    I'm totally against the experiments that "they" keep doing over & over & over again.
    Human Beings ARE different to animals and, "We" are supposed to be The Intellegent Ones ?
  • Options
    "Human Beings ARE different to animals and, "We" are supposed to be The Intellegent Ones ?"

My cat Psycho is more intelligent than me. FACT

PS: I'm not planning to eat him though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Pastie faced Wierdos and Freaks the lot of ya!! ;o)

Mmm...Big Mac.....mmmmm

• Options
    Drummond Street nr Euston. A whole road full of veggie heaven.
    The best Asian food I have ever tasted.

This. Top nosh, and I eat meat!
  • Options
    A bit late, but being over 15 stone and a proper veggie for about 20 years. Don't bother with eating at football grounds unless very hungry. Once asked in the East stand for something and was offered a chicken and veg pie or similar. I had to point out to the confused lady that it may contain veg but I wasn't about to pick it out and leave the meat.

Rarely get a dinner party invite since going veggie but that could be down to my distinct lack of personality than difficulty in diet.
  • Options
    I've been off the meat for 20 years. I don't really understand the notion of 'cracking' and having to go back to eating flesh. Not that I think it's especially wrong to do so, but the longer it's been since I last ate meat, the more off-putting the thought of that gristly, fatty texture becomes.
  • Options
    Read somewhere at the weekend that there are now 4 point something million vegetarians in Britain. I think that the majority are in the younger age groups. What's that, about 7% of the population? If I am right there were possibly nigh on 1000 vegetarians at the Valley on Saturday. (ok someone will correct my maths!!)
  • Options
    east stand veggie here.
  • Options

Hypothetical question...

If your child had just been run over and the doctors I'm charge said he needed a blood transfusion, pain killers, anaestic and brain.surgery to survive, would you consent? Or if you had a serious disease that could be treated by drugs, would you refuse them?

There is no viable alternative to animal experimentation and is vital for the development of newer and safer drugs
  • Options

Actual question.

Would blood transfusions have arrived in our world earlier if their had been experiments on humans instead of animals? I think I read somewhere that it would indeed have happened earlier.

There are some substances that help humans but damage animals and vice versa, not all animal experimentation is successful.

Anyway isn't this about vegetarianism rather than about animal experimentation?

• Options

Actual question.

Would blood transfusions have arrived in our world earlier if their had been experiments on humans instead of animals? I think I read somewhere that it would indeed have happened earlier.

There are some substances that help humans but damage animals and vice versa, not all animal experimentation is successful.

Anyway isn't this about vegetarianism rather than about animal experimentation?

He started it ;)

Of course not all drugs tested on.animals will be safe or efficacious in humans, however it would be impossible to develop new drugs and In many cases new surgery techniques without them. The fact we can manipulate their genetics is a massive bonus and has really furthered scientific understanding in the last decade
  • Options
    I think the truth is, in a desperate situation you will do everything you can to keep your child alive. I don't think that makes me a hypercrite.

You might wonder where disease comes from. Some of us would argue that doing evil acts such as vivisecting an innocent species actually creates the atmosphere which creates the disease. But this is not the forum for such a heavy discussion. I would rather talk about how great John Hewie was while scoffing my bean burger.   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the truth is, in a desperate situation you will do everything you can to keep your child alive. I don't think that makes me a hypercrite.

You might wonder where disease comes from. Some of us would argue that doing evil acts such as vivisecting an innocent species actually creates the atmosphere which creates the disease. But this is not the forum for such a heavy discussion. I would rather talk about how great John Hewie was while scoffing my bean burger.   
    <br

So your.principles cant be that strong? The fact of the matter is, without in vivo experiments, we would not be where we are today in terms of.medicinal treatment, we would all probs be using homeopathic remedies...but I.won't go into that ;:P
  • Options
    Robert, for myself I would not take vaccines under any circumstances. So my principles are about as strong as you get. But you asked about my child. For example, Ideally I would go to a psychic surgeon to try to get a tumour removed (they are surprisingly successful!) but the bottom line is that I would not want to endanger another persons life because of my own principles.That would be very selfish.

You seem to be taking the vegetarian argument to an extreme but in reality millions of Brahma and Hindu Indians have been vegetarian for thousands of years, Generation after generation, so being a veggie is not a big deal...you just have to ensure you get appropriate protein. If you live on cornflakes and chips, as many students do, then you will get run down and ill.
  • Options

from the beeb

Catholics asked to abstain from meat for Friday penance

Catholics in England and
    Wales are being asked to abstain from eating meat on Fridays as an act
    of penance, reviving a centuries-old tradition.

Bishops say Friday should be a day of penitence as it is the day on which Christ is said to have died.

They say Friday penance will be "a clear and distinctive mark" of Catholic identity and an act of common worship.

A resolution in May said penance would begin on 16 September to mark the first anniversary of the Pope's UK visit.

• Options
    me n the mrs r veggies. we're both season ticket holding west standers
  • Options
    Had a great weekend in Normandy, eating rabbit, steak and bone marrow ....
  • Options
    Rabbit's nice, bit chewy though. Taste nicer than horse, which I've also eaten...
  • Options
    Did you really say 'psychic surgeons', wolfboy? So you forego something (vaccinations) that has saved untold millions of lives, but put your faith in someone that tells you with a straight face that they can do something using their mind that would usually require a highly skilled practitioner (e.g an actual surgeon) and various other highly skilled practitioners in support?  If you are foregoing vaccinations because you object to animal experiments, I can see where you are coming from (I might not agree entirely - but I hate the idea of unnecessary animal experimentation), but if it is for reasons of efficacy, then I suggest that you study some science (no not on the internet, it sounds like you have done too much of that already).  If it is a principal, then I admire your stance even if I think that you may not appreciate that most of us are only alive because of animal experiments.  As far as human experimentation goes, we do it all the time.  They are called medical trials.  However we only do them when the treatment has been tested on animals first otherwise we end up in the realms of Dr Joseph Mengele.

However, what annoys me is that I have not eaten meat for over 20 years (at least not intentionally) and people assume that because of this I think that stuff like homeopathy and crystal healing might work.  I don't believe in them because I'm not a gullible idiot and I actually understand the concepts of empirical evidence, logic and how science works.  The idea of someone taking advantage of a cancer sufferer when they need proper medical treatment I find sickening in the extreme.

Remember the old joke: 'what do you alternative medicine that works?  Medicine.'
  • Options
    Rabbit's nice, bit chewy though. Taste nicer than horse, which I've also eaten...

As other people on other threads say.......

Why post/clog/troll on a "serious" thread: Wow...You eat dead animals....and....?
  • Options
    Also foregoing vaccinations is a very selfish and dangerous thing to do.

We rely on herd immunity to keep many diseases that in the not too distant past killed thousands if not millions. To keep herd immunity up 90% percent of the population need to be vaccinated. Every selfish person who decides vaccination isn't for them is putting that herd immunity, and therefore all of us, at risk. Especially because there are a small percentage of people who for whatever reason can't be vaccinated, so we really need everybody who can be vaccinated to do so.

But don't worry, I'm sure coloured crystals will save us when polio re-emerges.