Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vegetarian Football Fans

Comments

• Options
    Thanks! My wife is a veggie, so it hasn't been too hard to make the step. Mainly eating out and takeaways where I'm having to make different choices
  • Options
    Indian and Cantonese are usually pretty good bets for veggie food but your missus will show you the ropes. I'm in my seventeenth year of being flesh free and could never imagine reverting back. It's too good for the soul.
  • Options
    Are you a proper veggie @McBobbin, or do you own a cat like AUN? ; )
  • Options
    Make that three cats BIG_ROB ;o)
  • Options
    Poor birds.... : (
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

My cats are soft and haven't really been out much for months, too cold for 'em so no kills for them lately. Anyway, this is all a bit pot and kettle ;o)
  • Options
    Was speaking to a healer the other day who said she was a vegetarian but not out of compassion for animals but simply because she could not digest animal protein anymore since spirit started to work thorugh her. She said something about aiming for the highest source of healing power and that meant purifying her body. She also said she used to enjoy a glass of red wine but she does not enjoy the taste of alcohol anymore. I think she was a bit fed up about that!
    I also once knew a vegetarian bloke, a bit of a nutter, who fed his dog a vegetarian diet. It used to chew cucumbers like bones.
  • Options
    Dogs can survive perfectly well on a vegetarian diet though if I had a dog that wouldn't be my way. Cats on the other hand are true carnivores and couldn't survive on neeps and tatties.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Are you a proper veggie @McBobbin, or do you own a cat like AUN? ; )

Got a cat, not a vegan, and will probably eat the occasional bit of fish. Hypocritical Fraud is probably a better description. I don't have a problem with meat eaters, just don't really want to eat it myself.

Changing tack slightly, I saw a chart recently that showed the carbon footprint of various foodstuffs. Lamb and beef up first and second, and third was cheese! Long gap before anything else. It will be a cold day in hell, and a hot day on earth, before I give up cheese!
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

My cats are soft and haven't really been out much for months, too cold for 'em so no kills for them lately. Anyway, this is all a bit pot and kettle ;o)
    I've never killed anything for fun unlike all cats do.

Re. Dogs eating meat. It's not upto Us to turn our pets veggie, dogs should eat meat (or food containing meat products). Thats not to say I don't feed mine the occasional veggie pasta.

Fair play @McBobbin, nowt wrong with being a veggie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2013

Was speaking to a healer the other day who said she was a vegetarian but not out of compassion for animals but simply because she could not digest animal protein anymore since spirit started to work thorugh her. She said something about aiming for the highest source of healing power and that meant purifying her body. She also said she used to enjoy a glass of red wine but she does not enjoy the taste of alcohol anymore. I think she was a bit fed up about that!
    I also once knew a vegetarian bloke, a bit of a nutter, who fed his dog a vegetarian diet. It used to chew cucumbers like bones.

Wow. What is this 'spirit' she speaks of? Sure she hasn't just got Lysinuric Protein Intolerance? Or maybe she was just talking bollocks, like every other purveyor of so-called 'enlightened' healing powers.

And dogs absolutely require meat to survive healthily. Feeding a dog (or a cat, for that matter) a vegetable only diet is outrageously cruel.
  • Options

Wow. What is this 'spirit' she speaks of? Sure she hasn't just got Lysinuric Protein Intolerance? Or maybe she was just talking bollocks, like every other purveyor of so-called 'enlightened' healing powers.

And dogs absolutely require meat to survive healthily. Feeding a dog (or a cat, for that matter) a vegetable only diet is outrageously cruel.
    As is keeping a single rabbit as they are animals who need to be with other rabbits.
  • Options
    Agree with Leroy. If I had a dog I wouldn't feed it a veggie diet. It just seems so wrong, although dogs can certainly survive on a veg diet.
    As for 'talking bollocks' re healing...I have experienced instant relief from excruciating earache. Amazing rather than bollocks but this is a veggie thread so lets stick with it rather than stray.
  • Options
    I have two cats and they can eat what meat they want. Im the veggie, they aren't!
  • Options

Agree with Leroy. If I had a dog I wouldn't feed it a veggie diet. It just seems so wrong, although dogs can certainly survive on a veg diet.
    As for 'talking bollocks' re healing...I have experienced instant relief from excruciating earache. Amazing rather than bollocks but this is a veggie thread so lets stick with it rather than stray.

Aye. It's well known that the more you believe something is going to 'work', the more likely it is to actually 'work'. Any other relief you feel is called 'coincidence'. And, without supplements, it is impossible for a dog to live on vegetables alone. But don't let those facts dissuade you from blissful ignoance - whatever works for you.
  • Options
    Interesting that someone mentionned aliens as I've often pondered on this. We send up signals and messages into space in the hope that some alien species will get the message. I've often wondered why. What if they are both carnivores and superior to us technologically. They would come to visit us and find 6 billion 'animals' to eat.We could hardly complain, could we?.
  • Options

I take it you shagged her then?
  • Options
    edited March 2013

Interesting that someone mentionned aliens as I've often pondered on this. We send up signals and messages into space in the hope that some alien species will get the message. I've often wondered why. What if they are both carnivores and superior to us technologically. They would come to visit us and find 6 billion 'animals' to eat.We could hardly complain, could we?.

No, but I don't see how us al being veggies woud help us, if they want to farm and eat us then they're gonna do it regardless. In fact, using this logic means that being non-veggie may even save us as thre isn't many animals that we eat that are carnivores.

VEGGIES BEWARE!!
  • Options
    We use more carbon than a chicken. Overpopulation is bad environment and crops etc must be grown, even if we are all veggie.

Ive thought this through and there is only one solution: battle royale, one man standing, cannibalism.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2013
    BIG_ROB said:

No, but I don't see how us al being veggies woud help us, if they want to farm and eat us then they're gonna do it regardless. In fact, using this logic means that being non-veggie may even save us as thre isn't many animals that we eat that are carnivores.

VEGGIES BEWARE!!
    Being veggie wouldn't necessarily help us but at least our protestations at being eaten wouldn't be hypocritical.

I do however find your logic interesting: Eat meat because meat eaters don't get eaten. lol.
  • Options

Spot on. There's a huge number of intelligent people who believe that the chances of any superior species visiting the Earth with benign intentions are very slim indeed. At best we'd be treated as pets, at worst - food or slaves.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
  • Options
    but if their moral values held that they shouldn't eat other sentient creatures if avoidable, then we wouldn't be eaten

the question here is - what are our moral values?
  • Options
    Why would their morals dictate that? By any stretch of the imagination, even though we anthropomorphise animals to a large extent, there are certainly arguments that, mammals especially, the animals we eat are 'sentient', but at a lower functional level than us. We eat them - so it stands to reason that a species with vastly superior intellect (which, given the technological challenges involved in overcoming the problems of interstellar, interdimensional or superluminal travel, they would have to be to get here in the first place) would consider us (to paraphrase Douglas Adams) as hairless monkeys who are so backward we still think iPads are a pretty neat idea - and put us firmly on the same ring of their food chain as cows are on ours.
  • Options

Taste nicer than horse, which I've also eaten...

I don't think you're in a minority there anymore FOD..................................
  • Options

Why would their morals dictate that? .

So... your question is why would the morality of an intellectually superior species dictate that they shouldn't eat members of an intellectually inferior species, right?

I think there are a few possible answers

Maybe empathy... or the desire to minimise harm in a utilitarian sense....

Especially (and this is a key point for my own personal beliefs) if it is possible to survive WITHOUT eating that other species.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

VEGGIES BEWARE!!
    Being veggie wouldn't necessarily help us but at least our protestations at being eaten wouldn't be hypocritical.

I do however find your logic interesting: Eat meat because meat eaters don't get eaten. lol.
    That point was made in response to a point made earlier in this thread comparing us eating meat to aliens eating us Jimmy pal....
  • Options
    Should a person with an IQ of, say, 155, be allowed to eat a person with an IQ of, say, 55, because they have a vastly superior intellect?
  • Options

Why would their morals dictate that? .

So... your question is why would the morality of an intellectually superior species dictate that they shouldn't eat members of an intellectually inferior species, right?

I think there are a few possible answers

Maybe empathy... or the desire to minimise harm in a utilitarian sense....

Especially (and this is a key point for my own personal beliefs) if it is possible to survive WITHOUT eating that other species
    So you'd be happy to see these species go into extinction because there'd be no value in farming them?