Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vegetarian Football Fans

Comments

• Options

"What do you mean you're pregnant you f***ing slag"

Joseph

pmsl!
  • Options

"What do you mean you're pregnant you f***ing slag"

Joseph

Lol you never let me down Dave.
  • Options
    The omega 3 fatty acids in seeds are different than those found in fish. Alpha linoleic acid is found in seeds where as fish contains EPA and DHA (which have far greater benefical effects.

I'm so educated and I'm so civilized
    cos I'm a strict vegetarian

No. I've been vegetarian since 1989 along with my wife. It was a choice. It doesn't make me more civilised or more educated. It has probably given me more time on Earth (reduced cholesterol, reduced animal fat etc.) I am vegetarian not for beliefs, or simpathy for animals. It was the preferred easy health choice. I like and wear leather - ooh! Just recently I went to my doctor because of joint pain (cue jokes). It was diagnosed as has having arthiritis in various forms and areas of my body. Apart from the I think usual anti-inflamatory drugs he said eat oily fish. Well in the not-to-distant future I will eat oily fish. My only problem is finding a sustainable species of oily fish. I don't want to contribute to much to this planets problems. Thanks for listening and sorry if I mis=read your post. I seem to have done that a lot lately!
    He's probably on about omega 3 fatty acids, which you can get in high amounts in linseed oil and many other veggy kosher foods... I don't think there's an issue with sustainability!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    March51 said:

Oggy Red said:

The excess consumption of wheat has been getting bad press in recent years.

Not so much that wheat is bad for you, but apart from the obvious uses, bread, flour, pasta etc - it's added as a filler to many other products that are bought in the supermarket. And maybe this excess consumption of wheat overloads our bodies making us at times feel a 'little under the weather'.

Also I read a while back that wheat has been scientifically tinkered with over the past 40 years to make it commercially more productive and profitable, and that gluten found in wheat has increased by up to 90% in that period - which is supposed to explain why so many people have gluten intolerance these days.

Rice and oats also naturally contain some gluten but apparently nowhere near as much as modern commercial wheat.

I ran out of bread last Saturday, so instead of buying another loaf I thought I'd give wheat products a rest for a short period.
    Just an experiment. So this week, no bread, pasta, etc

I'm curious as to whether I'll feel any benefit.

BTW I've no intention of giving up wheat entirely.

Hello, Mr March ......interesting what you say about beer. I've always tried to steer clear of wheat beers (very popular on the continent and increasingly so over here) plus I'm not a lager drinker. I much prefer a traditionally brewed barley based beer, well hopped to give a bitter taste - what we used to call a pint of bitter, when we were lads. That's not to say there may be some wheat added to pad out a generally barley mash by a few brewers, but that ain't the proper way to brew beer.

Anyway, my own weekly beer consumption has been drastically reduced since the recession hit hard.

In my own case, I don't believe I'm particularly gluten intolerant (it's found in rice and oats, which I eat regularly) and I never buy expensive processed foods. I just felt I was eating too much bread and pasta - and thought I'd give it up for a couple of weeks, a bit like some people giving up chocolate for Lent or whatever.

Already starting to miss my toast and marmalade, with my morning coffee though!

I had no idea you'd been affected by Gluten intolerence, Terry ......but a surprising number of people are and numbers are increasing - brings me back to what I said earlier, about reading that the gluten content of commercial wheat has increased by around 90% during the last 40 years.
    What's all that about then - and is that the reason behind so many becoming gluten intolerant in recent years....?

Scrumpy? Never really got to grips with the stuff. Anyway, we're not cider country down here in Oggyland - we be fishermen and pirates.
    You's must better go up the line to Darzet and Zummerzet ...... you know those folk, who be sayin':

"I'm Zummerzet born and Zummerzet bred;
    Thick in the arm and thick in the 'ead.
    And I drives a tractor!"

Now there's scrumpy folk!

;o)

• Options

This thead sparked my interest as I have been vegan for 12 years now. What makes me laugh is that most people who condone the slaughter and exploitation of animals are dead against racism, homophobia etc. How about speciesism. What gives anyone the right to take the life of another living being just because they do not have the intelligence to speak out and stand up for themselves. Would you kill, cook and eat a human if he was mentally ill?

Food for thought maybe?

What sort of a specious argument is that? plants and fungi are living things, as are insects, parasites, viruses etc. By virtue of your argument, what gives you the right to take the lives of any of those?

For food - no problem. For medical research - no problem. For pest or disease control - no problem. For cosmetic research, hunting etc - clearly wrong. Like it as not, we have evolved as a species to be the dominant force on this planet. With that dominance comes responsibility, sure - but we are omnivores, and the animals we have bred for food wouldn't even exist as species in the form they do now without our interference.

Comparing someone's choice to eat meat with the slave trade is the most ludicrous of many extremely ludicrous things posted on here in the past.
    Sentience is the usual dividing line used in this argument (to separate animal species from fungi, plants etc)

ummmmmm

The slave analogy is interesting if you consider the possibility of an "alien" species coming to Earth and deciding that they are the dominant species and therefore ethically entitled to use us for food (and the other things mentioned)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Leroy Ambrose said "Comparing someone's choice to eat meat with the slave trade is the most ludicrous of many extremely ludicrous things posted on here in the past."

Why?.....Some races/civilizations were superior to other races/civilizations and took advantage of that situation.

The quote didn't actually mention eating meat so don't add and alter quotes to suit your own agenda.

The quote, in my view is about the whole way we treat animals in general and in my view that is as bad as the slave trade because it concerns the abuse by one race/species of a weaker race/species.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I get your point, but I wonder if you might want to reconsider your ideas of superiority and weakness in a race or species?

I'm hoping you are talking about technological advantage?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    D_F_T said:

Leroy Ambrose said "Comparing someone's choice to eat meat with the slave trade is the most ludicrous of many extremely ludicrous things posted on here in the past."

Why?.....Some races/civilizations were superior to other races/civilizations and took advantage of that situation.

The quote didn't actually mention eating meat so don't add and alter quotes to suit your own agenda.

The quote, in my view is about the whole way we treat animals in general and in my view that is as bad as the slave trade because it concerns the abuse by one race/species of a weaker race/species.

I think I'd be right in saying that most people find animal cruelty intolerable, be it in farming or anywhere else, but as long as any meat I eat is dispatched in a humane way, I sleep well at night.

Aliens? Slave trade? Please do come on pal!
  • Options

I get your point, but I wonder if you might want to reconsider your ideas of superiority and weakness in a race or species?

Yeah, obviously. I hope you are not suggesting something more sinister!

• Options
    D_F_T said:

Yeah, obviously. I hope you are not suggesting something more sinister!

Phew.

;0)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Aliens? Jesus Christ this thread has gone proper mental now!
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more Red Robin worrying how many nutters we have supporting us
  • Options

I fear closer to 70 MOG pal!
  • Options
    27,000 last time we played Hartlepool.
  • Options
    It's proper laughable for anyone to try and compare animals to humans. This is why, if you look up the definition of 'manslaughter' or 'murder' in the dictionary, it states that it is the taking of another PERSON's life, not another BEING's. Seriously - if you think that working an animal or eating it is the same as enslaving a human being or killing them, you are nuts. End of story.

And this is coming from someone who absolutely loves animals to bits, and finds them fascinating - even the nasty looking ones that nobody else likes.
  • Options
    My old moggy was just a little person in a catsuit, Leroy

I didn't eat him though.

;o)
  • Options
    Calm down Leroy.............you're raving!
  • Options

And this is coming from someone who absolutely loves animals to bits, and finds them fascinating - even the nasty looking ones that nobody else likes.

What, even Millwall fans?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone read the piece in the Sunday papers about the Vegans who are publically branding themselves? Yes branding with a hot iron to demonstrate the cruellty to animals. This is the whole problem with people who start off as evangelists, then become fanatics and that is followed by fundalmentalism. How do they expect anyone to listen to their so called reasoning when they committ acct slike that? F*****g maniacs they should be locked away so the rest of us are a bit safer.
  • Options
    Sadly the extreme end of the animal rights lobby has more than it's fair share of nutters, I know because in my "rent an anarchist" days I met a few of them. There's a type of person that looks for certainty and belonging in that stuff, and if you look under the surface it tends to have to do with their own insecurity and not so much to do with the rights of aniimals or whatever cause they claim to support. Look at neo-nazis, self-proclaimed "anarchists", "all men are rapists"-type feminists, and bankers.
  • Options

Anyone read the piece in the Sunday papers about the Vegans who are publically branding themselves? Yes branding with a hot iron to demonstrate the cruellty to animals. This is the whole problem with people who start off as evangelists, then become fanatics and that is followed by fundalmentalism. How do they expect anyone to listen to their so called reasoning when they committ acct slike that? F*****g maniacs they should be locked away so the rest of us are a bit safer.

A Newcastle fan had a tattoo of Andrew Cole! Yes Andrew Cole just before he was transferred, to demonstrate his love for the player.
    Must've been a vegetarian.

• Options
    @MOG : I was chatting to a Tesco manager today .. she told me (OFF the record) that since the horsemeat fiasco, her store's takings are down 32% overall (no seasonal adjustment here though) and on meat and 'ready meals' a whopping 68% average.. like Ratner's years ago, I wonder if the chain will ever recover and regain public trust
  • Options
    Thanks Lincs (remind me never to tell you a secret ! ;-) ).

Take That Big Rob !
  • Options

Thanks Lincs (remind me never to tell you a secret ! ;-) ).

Take That Big Rob !

Names are always changed .. to protect the innocent
  • Options
    To drag this highly entertaining thread back in the direction it was intended, I finally decided to become a vegetarian. I just don't feel like eating any more animals
  • Options

Jesus wept, some people......
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

To drag this highly entertaining thread back in the direction it was intended, I finally decided to become a vegetarian. I just don't feel like eating any more animals

Welcome to the club my friend, good for you.