Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vegetarian Football Fans

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2013

This thead sparked my interest as I have been vegan for 12 years now. What makes me laugh is that most people who condone the slaughter and exploitation of animals are dead against racism, homophobia etc. How about speciesism. What gives anyone the right to take the life of another living being just because they do not have the intelligence to speak out and stand up for themselves. Would you kill, cook and eat a human if he was mentally ill?

Food for thought maybe?

What sort of a specious argument is that? plants and fungi are living things, as are insects, parasites, viruses etc. By virtue of your argument, what gives you the right to take the lives of any of those?

For food - no problem. For medical research - no problem. For pest or disease control - no problem. For cosmetic research, hunting etc - clearly wrong. Like it as not, we have evolved as a species to be the dominant force on this planet. With that dominance comes responsibility, sure - but we are omnivores, and the animals we have bred for food wouldn't even exist as species in the form they do now without our interference.

Comparing someone's choice to eat meat with the slave trade is the most ludicrous of many extremely ludicrous things posted on here in the past.
  • Options
    It certainly has taken a turn for the weird.

• Options
    Certainly has. Just to cover all bases, I won't eat anything that casts a shadow.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The excess consumption of wheat has been getting bad press in recent years.

Not so much that wheat is bad for you, but apart from the obvious uses, bread, flour, pasta etc - it's added as a filler to many other products that are bought in the supermarket. And maybe this excess consumption of wheat overloads our bodies making us at times feel a 'little under the weather'.

Also I read a while back that wheat has been scientifically tinkered with over the past 40 years to make it commercially more productive and profitable, and that gluten found in wheat has increased by up to 90% in that period - which is supposed to explain why so many people have gluten intolerance these days.

Rice and oats also naturally contain some gluten but apparently nowhere near as much as modern commercial wheat.

I ran out of bread last Saturday, so instead of buying another loaf I thought I'd give wheat products a rest for a short period.
    Just an experiment. So this week, no bread, pasta, etc

I'm curious as to whether I'll feel any benefit.

BTW I've no intention of giving up wheat entirely.
  • Options
    "Wheat-ist" !!
  • Options

This thead sparked my interest as I have been vegan for 12 years now. What makes me laugh is that most people who condone the slaughter and exploitation of animals are dead against racism, homophobia etc. How about speciesism. What gives anyone the right to take the life of another living being just because they do not have the intelligence to speak out and stand up for themselves. Would you kill, cook and eat a human if he was mentally ill?

Food for thought maybe?

What sort of a specious argument is that? plants and fungi are living things, as are insects, parasites, viruses etc. By virtue of your argument, what gives you the right to take the lives of any of those?

For food - no problem. For medical research - no problem. For pest or disease control - no problem. For cosmetic research, hunting etc - clearly wrong. Like it as not, we have evolved as a species to be the dominant force on this planet. With that dominance comes responsibility, sure - but we are omnivores, and the animals we have bred for food wouldn't even exist as species in the form they do now without our interference.

Comparing someone's choice to eat meat with the slave trade is the most ludicrous of many extremely ludicrous things posted on here in the past.
    Hallalujah, fact at last!

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Not so much that wheat is bad for you, but apart from the obvious uses, bread, flour, pasta etc - it's added as a filler to many other products that are bought in the supermarket. And maybe this excess consumption of wheat overloads our bodies making us at times feel a 'little under the weather'.

Also I read a while back that wheat has been scientifically tinkered with over the past 40 years to make it commercially more productive and profitable, and that gluten found in wheat has increased by up to 90% in that period - which is supposed to explain why so many people have gluten intolerance these days.

Rice and oats also naturally contain some gluten but apparently nowhere near as much as modern commercial wheat.

I ran out of bread last Saturday, so instead of buying another loaf I thought I'd give wheat products a rest for a short period.

BTW I've no intention of giving up wheat entirely.

try rye breads, they're wheat free

• Options

Food for thought maybe?

Your in the wrong thread pal, this was meant for the "Joke" thread surely?!
  • Options

Couldn't agree more with your comment DFT. Not sure who said it though.

In answer to your question JT, I eat all the things everybody else eats but none of it contains animals or animal products. Contrary to what most people think we don't just eat salad and vegetables! Being vegan today is much easier than in the past as there are vegan alternatives to most things.

You ain't one of these that gives honey a wide birth because you think it exploits bees are you?
  • Options

Food for thought maybe?

What kind of hunting are you talking about?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Food for thought maybe?

c**t hunt? best to avoid the dogs.
  • Options
    Thou shalt not kill.

Exodus 20:13
  • Options

Thou shalt not kill.

Then he went and ate a feckin goat!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

BTW I've no intention of giving up wheat entirely. </blockquote

So Mr. Oggster, I hope that 'etc.' includes your pint down the pub! I haven't had a beer now for 12 years since being diagnosed with a gluten problem and (to me) it's the worst aspect of the allergy. Are you steering clear of just wheat or gluten generally? It's amazing where gluten turns up and you have to read every label every time as producers start using it in the ingredients often without warning. I could ramble on about all the stuff you have to avoid but it sounds like you've got a good idea of the problem but I think you should stick to the scrumpy for a while!

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Thou shalt not kill.

That's Christians for you, pick the bits that suit, ignore the rest.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

BIG_ROB said:

Thou shalt not kill.

That's Christians for you, pick the bits that suit, ignore the rest.
    Fickle bunch!
  • Options

I'm so educated and I'm so civilized
    cos I'm a strict vegetarian

No. I've been vegetarian since 1989 along with my wife. It was a choice. It doesn't make me more civilised or more educated. It has probably given me more time on Earth (reduced cholesterol, reduced animal fat etc.) I am vegetarian not for beliefs, or simpathy for animals. It was the preferred easy health choice. I like and wear leather - ooh! Just recently I went to my doctor because of joint pain (cue jokes). It was diagnosed as has having arthiritis in various forms and areas of my body. Apart from the I think usual anti-inflamatory drugs he said eat oily fish. Well in the not-to-distant future I will eat oily fish. My only problem is finding a sustainable species of oily fish. I don't want to contribute to much to this planets problems. Thanks for listening and sorry if I mis=read your post. I seem to have done that a lot lately!
    He's probably on about omega 3 fatty acids, which you can get in high amounts in linseed oil and many other veggy kosher foods... I don't think there's an issue with sustainability!
  • Options

I'm so educated and I'm so civilized
    cos I'm a strict vegetarian

No. I've been vegetarian since 1989 along with my wife. It was a choice. It doesn't make me more civilised or more educated. It has probably given me more time on Earth (reduced cholesterol, reduced animal fat etc.) I am vegetarian not for beliefs, or simpathy for animals. It was the preferred easy health choice. I like and wear leather - ooh! Just recently I went to my doctor because of joint pain (cue jokes). It was diagnosed as has having arthiritis in various forms and areas of my body. Apart from the I think usual anti-inflamatory drugs he said eat oily fish. Well in the not-to-distant future I will eat oily fish. My only problem is finding a sustainable species of oily fish. I don't want to contribute to much to this planets problems. Thanks for listening and sorry if I mis=read your post. I seem to have done that a lot lately!
    He's probably on about omega 3 fatty acids, which you can get in high amounts in linseed oil and many other veggy kosher foods... I don't think there's an issue with sustainability!
    Go and do a bit of mackeral fishing off Deal or Dover, you won't find more sustainable than that Meebaum me old pal!
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Food for thought maybe?

Hunting for the sake of hunting (i.e. simply for the enjoyment of it).That's pretty fucked up. For disease control, pest control etc I can understand it.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

Food for thought maybe?

Hunting for the sake of hunting (i.e. simply for the enjoyment of it).That's pretty fucked up. For disease control, pest control etc I can understand it.
    Yeah, totally agree.

Anyone killing for the sake of it needs stringing up, but you won't really find that in the UK as most hunting and shooting is for food, or as you say, for pest control.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ''Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game''
  • Options
    Once my 12 bore cracks off, they all know the sport has started! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Once my 12 bore cracks off, they all know the sport has started! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

Below the belt that one Robin!
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

Me sister-in-law is veggie and we get on famously!

Would ya?
    A very rare no from me! ; )

I think BR has made it clear he is in to meat not veg.
  • Options
    Insects are the future.
  • Options
    ''If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who deal likewise with their fellow men.''

St Francis of Assisi.
  • Options

''If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who deal likewise with their fellow men.''

St Francis of Assisi.

"Come and eat these bread and fishes"

Jesus

;-)
  • Options

St Francis of Assisi.

Sums me up that!
  • Options

St Francis of Assisi.

"Come and eat these bread and fishes"

Jesus

;-)
    That got lost in translation - it should've read (cheese) 'quiches'.
  • Options
    "What do you mean you're pregnant you f***ing slag"

Joseph