Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ian Holloway (ed. Gone from palace, still at Millwall)

Comments

• Options

MattD said:

Still got about 6/7 years on his contract aint he (pardew)? They couldnt afford to buy that out..

Some sort of rolling contract I believe. Ashley is a lot more shrewd than he's given credit for.
    I heard a rumour this was Ashley's solution to paying money he owed Pardew, although no idea if that's true.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

MattD said:

Still got about 6/7 years on his contract aint he (pardew)? They couldnt afford to buy that out..

Some sort of rolling contract I believe. Ashley is a lot more shrewd than he's given credit for.
    I heard a rumour this was Ashley's solution to paying money he owed Pardew, although no idea if that's true.
    gambling debts by all accounts
  • Options

Palace’s form from January in the Championship was bottom half at best. I don’t blame Holloway, he did well to take them up. The problem is, he has lost, for different reasons, Zaha and Murray – arguably their 2 best players. He tried to sign Bent who would have been a big signing for them. But he didn’t have much option other than to take a punt on a few and hope they worked out. The problem is that he has to compete in the Premiership, with a team that is worse than an average championship team! They really were not equipped to go up – but they will be better for the money.

Holloway is just trying to get them to play their hearts out as he knows that is all they can offer! The way they started yesterday was a credit to hi I thought, but even a rubbish premiership team like Fulham have that bit of quality, Palace don't!

It would have been much better to have kept the core of last season's team, and added just 2 or 3 experienced PL players. That way, at least they would have had good team spirit, rather than buying 15 new players and trying to integrate them all, p*ssing off all the existing players in the process.

• Options
    Maybe, but it is probably a bit like doing a raffle - the more tickets you buy, the more chance you have of winning teh prize - but it isn't a guarantee and the odds are still against.
  • Options

Maybe, but it is probably a bit like doing a raffle - the more tickets you buy, the more chance you have of winning teh prize - but it isn't a guarantee and the odds are still against.

The difference is that team spirit can mean that the sum of the parts is much greater than the individual values. Last season, I'm sure Wolves were much better on paper than us...
  • Options
    Where's Budgie these days ? Doesn't visit us much anymore.
  • Options

The difference is that team spirit can mean that the sum of the parts is much greater than the individual values. Last season, I'm sure Wolves were much better on paper than us...
    Think Holloway destroyed the team spirit during the summer when he left the likes of Garvan, Dobbie and Wilbraham from the promtion team out of his 25-man squad. All average players but all would have given a lot more to their cause than the people he's replaced them with.

Have to say, I'm quite concerned that they might pick up some points after Arsenal. If Holloway walks/gets the boot this weekend then the new guy begins with games against West Brom, Everton, Hull, Norwich, West Ham and Cardiff - if they make a decent appointment then that's about as good a run of games as you can get in the Premier League. They'll still go down, but I don't want it to be a battling relegation (like our first one). I want them to sink like a turd, brutally flushed down the toilet and then left to pathetically float along the bottom of the sewer, submerged in filth.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I don’t think they have lacked spirit this season. People say, why didn’t he buy one or two like this was an alternative! The approach he has taken smells of desperation, but that is probably because he was desperate. Holloway is not a cautious manager, he’ll take a chance and when you do that, it doesn’t always come off but he does have the guts to do it and risk taking the flak from people who use the benefit of hindsight.

The problem is – would Palace have made the play offs without Murray? – would they have won the play offs without Zaha? The answer to both is no – and they have to compete in a much stronger league without those two. He needed a proper premiership striker – and tried to get one in Bent but it didn’t come off. Had he succeeded there, he would have improved them over a side with Murray in it. But how is he supposed to replace Zaha? If I couldn’t compete for the genuine premiership players – and I would imagine, not many would want to go to Palace!, I’d do what he has done and hope to unearth a few!
  • Options
    Holloway is fast turning into the new Barry Fry. Only not as funny.
  • Options
    As has been said he does look broken.good thing is i dont think it matters who takes over they look like goners. Just hope they can provide some amusement with what is going to be one helluva long season for them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You gotta feel for their Chairman...
  • Options
    Think he's doing a fantastic job at Palace, the board would be crazy to sack him.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Think Holloway destroyed the team spirit during the summer when he left the likes of Garvan, Dobbie and Wilbraham from the promtion team out of his 25-man squad. All average players but all would have given a lot more to their cause than the people he's replaced them with.
    Exactly.

I also can't believe he had to have a 40 year old forward in his squad of 25. Now I'm a great admirer of KP, but he couldn't get a regular game whilst on laon to them last season.

• Options

MrLargo said:

Their form under Holloway last season was mid-table at best - scraped into the play-offs despite him rather than because of him, having made a good start under the previous manager.

Used to be a good manager, but seems to have run out of ideas. His rants and rambles used to be funny, just sounds like someone slowly losing the plot these days.

Hope they keep him on for a bit, they've got the makings of a record-breakingly poor season with him in charge.

good post .. He'll be gone by Christmas I suspect
    But who will they get in? Is it worth sacking him with that squad?
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

I hope he's in charge for the Aresenal game, I want to see an absolute drubbing! We don't want to players all fired up and nicking a point.

Indeed. He's clearly on the way out, if he can hold out til the weekend then he could potentially bow out with a proper humiliation - I'll be disappointed with anything less than 6 Arsenal goals to be honest!
    I was thinking I wanted Fulham to absolutely batter the granny out of them and get 6 or 8 or whatever when they went 4-1 up early in the second half then I thought nope
    a massive defeat could end up being a turning point , maybe a new manager or a big tactical rethink about how they should be approaching games , which is not what we want
    If they can just carry on with their plucky 100% try hard , gung-ho attitude and be close, unlucky or whatever and continue just losing without humiliation then they'll be stupid enough to think we're doing this the right way and continue on their merry way to a proper pathetic attempt at staying up
    I'm playing the long game here , it's a marathon not a sprint and they're doing fine now I don't want anything to derail their current approach, I'm not greedy......
    Crystal palace as you were...........
  • Options
    Does it matter, with the new parachute payments,Palace are way beyond us now.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

For a couple of seasons they might be more competitive,we have seen Wolves go straight down even with the parachute payments.

Palace need to completely rebuild Sellout Park that in itself will eat up most of their extra income.The game changer could be if they stay up.

• Options

MrLargo said:

Their form under Holloway last season was mid-table at best - scraped into the play-offs despite him rather than because of him, having made a good start under the previous manager.

Used to be a good manager, but seems to have run out of ideas. His rants and rambles used to be funny, just sounds like someone slowly losing the plot these days.

Hope they keep him on for a bit, they've got the makings of a record-breakingly poor season with him in charge.

good post .. He'll be gone by Christmas I suspect
    But who will they get in? Is it worth sacking him with that squad?

Parish has already said he's looking to next season in the championship so he might well think (and probably justified) that Holloway isn't the best man to get them back up.
  • Options

Not too concerned about the parachute payments. Wolves, Bolton, Birmingham, Blackpool and Blackburn, plus Wigan and Reading from last season, are all recent or existing beneficiaries of Premier League cash - they're not streets ahead of us on the pitch by any means, and we're potless. Doesn't matter how much cash you've got in the bank if you can't get it right on the pitch. The highlights of their existing squad are Chamakh, an aging Jerome Thomas, Glenn Murray, Bolasie and the expensive and unproven Dwight Gayle, other than that it's just journeymen and unknown foreigners, doesn't fill me with dread by any means.

As Richard J says, they'll need to spend a big chunk of the money on Selhurst, can't see them splashing out on big money signings like Jordan Rhodes when they come down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The new parachute payments are now much bigger. Depends if Palace has bought anyone on expensive long term contracts - if not and they come back down they will be streets ahead of most in the Champ.

I also thought they were looking to move from Selhurst - has that been shelved?
  • Options

The new parachute payments are now much bigger. Depends if Palace has bought anyone on expensive long term contracts - if not and they come back down they will be streets ahead of most in the Champ.

Exactly. The club coming bottom now gets something like £60m in tv money, that's about the same that the champions used to get in previous years. Plus the parachute payments are a lot more. Any club coming down should now be a lot better off than those in the championship.
    Also Palace won't have many players on top premier league wages as they're basically a championship squad.
  • Options
    It's a new tv deal this season so the money's gone up, but that's happened before. We went down the season before a new tv deal kicked in, and consequently missed out on getting significantly higher parachute payments. Birmingham, Reading and Derby came down the following season with a sack load more cash than we received and are all in the same division as us at the moment.

Not saying that Palace won't benefit from the money they get this season, but let's not get carried away about them now being set up for life.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I thought Palace were going to be well placed to be a yo - yo club, but the mad player acqusition could well scupper that.

The difference between Palace and Wolves is that Wolves had established themselves with a Premier League infrastructure (Like us) whereas most promoted clubs leave it a year before cranking up their costs
  • Options
    This'll be the 7th season on the spin the eagles have finished above us .... Shameful
  • Options

This'll be the 7th season on the spin the eagles have finished above us .... Shameful

But how many before that did we finish above them?

• Options
    Rizzo said:

But how many before that did we finish above them?

I think 98/99 through to 07/08 inclusive, I make that 10 years. Doesn't make it feel any better now though.

What I find most annoying is that their crowds were dwindling, they'd just avoided relegation two seasons on the spin and they had the general ambience of a club on the slide. Then they pick one of the most random seasons in history, where the gap between the play-offs and relegation spots is only 14 points, to improve slightly and it ends up being enough to get them promoted. Sickening.
  • Options

MrLargo said:

I hope he's in charge for the Aresenal game, I want to see an absolute drubbing! We don't want to players all fired up and nicking a point.

Indeed. He's clearly on the way out, if he can hold out til the weekend then he could potentially bow out with a proper humiliation - I'll be disappointed with anything less than 6 Arsenal goals to be honest!
    I was thinking I wanted Fulham to absolutely batter the granny out of them and get 6 or 8 or whatever when they went 4-1 up early in the second half then I thought nope
    a massive defeat could end up being a turning point , maybe a new manager or a big tactical rethink about how they should be approaching games , which is not what we want
    If they can just carry on with their plucky 100% try hard , gung-ho attitude and be close, unlucky or whatever and continue just losing without humiliation then they'll be stupid enough to think we're doing this the right way and continue on their merry way to a proper pathetic attempt at staying up
    I'm playing the long game here , it's a marathon not a sprint and they're doing fine now I don't want anything to derail their current approach, I'm not greedy......
    Crystal palace as you were...........
    Yes, a 1-0 defeat against Arsenal, 50/50 split in possession with Palace hitting the post twice....should fit this bill nicely.
  • Options
    We had parachute payments once and a fire sale Benty etc.
    Did not do us much good
  • Options
    News conference today at 5.30 so it may be the end for him.