Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ian Holloway (ed. Gone from palace, still at Millwall)

Comments

• Options
    No Dowie on the list?
  • Options
    Gutted, the next chap can hardly do worse.
    Arsenal the weekend they will play 11 behind the ball and scrap a draw.
  • Options
    It is hard to choose just who they should get to do that shite football club justice. As Palarse have never been the greatest of Premiership point scorers I was hoping that Sunderland would pick up and that the Glaziers could post an all time low points total this year. A total that would even embarass a club with Selhurst Park as a ground, cheerleaders and fanatics with Ultra fixations.

Here's hoping for more shite to come from them.

CheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeseRolllls...
  • Options

Ha, I've just been driving back to office and listening to the 5Live Monday Night Club podcast on which Steve Parish is preaching patience and giving his full backing to Holloway, so very dignified to then sack him 48hrs later.

Holloway resigned, Parish said he didn't want to get rid of him in the press conference.
  • Options
    A good man, everything that is wrong with English football, fcuk the rivals bit fcuk off sky
  • Options

Would love Curbs to go there, I'm sure he'd love to take them back to the Chamionship and get paid in the process, I know I would ! :-0

From what I can remember Curbs does not feel any great affinity for Charlton - I think something Murray said way back. It would be a real error on Palaces part to takje him now.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Would love Curbs to go there, I'm sure he'd love to take them back to the Chamionship and get paid in the process, I know I would ! :-0

From what I can remember Curbs does not feel any great affinity for Charlton - I think something Murray said way back. It would be a real error on Palaces part to takje him now.
    He's been out of the game too long. Eventually he won't be mentioned anymore - like George Graham.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

He's been out of the game too long. Eventually he won't be mentioned anymore - like George Graham.
    Oh I agree totally. The game has changed since he last managed enormously.
  • Options
    Enormously F.C.? Are they somewhere near Sheffield?
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Spot on. Great man that Curbs was, I always felt that despite the time he spent here and the success he enjoyed here, he had no deep love for Charlton. Indeed, his heart always seemed to be at West Ham. And since he's left, how many times has he even been back here? Only a handful of times, I believe.

Those who believe he wouldn't take the Palace job if offered to him, and he wanted it, because of his Charlton connections are deluded.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Kap10 said:

Spot on. Great man that Curbs was, I always felt that despite the time he spent here and the success he enjoyed here, he had no deep love for Charlton. Indeed, his heart always seemed to be at West Ham. And since he's left, how many times has he even been back here? Only a handful of times, I believe.

Those who believe he wouldn't take the Palace job if offered to him, and he wanted it, because of his Charlton connections are deluded.
    Agree- nothing to lose and maybe the route back in to management. What a waste of a talent to have been so long out of the game.
  • Options
    After a few defeats Curbs would be about as popular as Lomas at the Den. He knows that and doesn't need it on his impressive cv. I imagine they will get someone decent though.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    If Curbs was offered the job of course he'd consider it and take it if he got his terms. If he seriously wants to get back into top management, and I'm not so sure he does, he wouldn't get a better position than this. 30 games to go, a chairman who loves his club and can't help spending money; and don't forget the money slushing around this year. I'm sure he could negotiate a huge bonus if he keeps them up, and that is what really makes LCC tick.
    I think he will be along way down the list of Palace's targets, further than the bookies reckon. He's simply been out too long and the exit from his last job will forever be a milestone round his neck.
    True professionals do not let sentiment get in the way of their ambition. I understand people begging him not to go there but you need to step back sometimes and look at the bigger picture.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Ah, but would his place on the Legends' Top Table still be on offer on 1st Dec ????

• Options
    Curbs was a west ham fan....but spent 13 years as manager of charlton and referred to us as "his baby". His affiliation with Charlton is still strong and he done a lot for us.

He may or may not go palace if the job was offered to him.

If someone said, would curbs not go to palace solely for his charlton connections and it would dampen his status and relationship with charlton fans. I would say yes, he is the kind of guy to react like that....we'll considering he has probably rejected more offers from clubs for more petty reasons. (Wolves)
  • Options

Kap10 said:

well i spoke to Curbs a couple of years back and he referred to us as "we" on a number of occassions throughout the conversation , he does have a great affection for us and he was gutted at our demise , he wanted to help Murray chose his successor

I've seen him back at the Valley a few times and even see him at Orient as well , he has job committments etc i bet he's been at more Charlton games than West Ham games since he left them as manager

• Options
    This article on Holloways departure is interesting and might give us pause for thought too.
  • Options

Ha, I've just been driving back to office and listening to the 5Live Monday Night Club podcast on which Steve Parish is preaching patience and giving his full backing to Holloway, so very dignified to then sack him 48hrs later.

Holloway resigned, Parish said he didn't want to get rid of him in the press conference.
    Fair enough, just read the BBC article on it and relise I got the wrong end of the stick.

I like Olly, I know he'll now forever be ex Palace, but he always comes across as an honest, decent chap and I don't get any pleasure out of hearing him talk like he's given up.

It'll be even easier to dislike Palace now he's gone. I don't know what I'll do if Curbs goes there, but it'll be traumatic that's for sure.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

well i spoke to Curbs a couple of years back and he referred to us as "we" on a number of occassions throughout the conversation , he does have a great affection for us and he was gutted at our demise , he wanted to help Murray chose his successor

I've seen him back at the Valley a few times and even see him at Orient as well , he has job committments etc i bet he's been at more Charlton games than West Ham games since he left them as manager

Do you know what work he has? Red Pete mentioned Al Jazeera , anything else? Did you get the impression he's ok with what he has? It's a puzzle to me why he isn't back in management, why he doesn't lower his sights a bit

• Options
    edited October 2013

It'll be even easier to dislike Palace now he's gone. I don't know what I'll do if Curbs goes there, but it'll be traumatic that's for sure.

Never had a problem disliking Palarse with a passion, second to the Spanners that is :0)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    just what red pete says weekend stuff and a bit of sky , he's happy with his lot but i'm sure he'd want the right job (for him) if it ever came along , he was in the running and did want the fulham job (i think hughes got it ) and the same with villa job (think houllier got it) he was offered Hull and i think he initially agreed to take it but then turned it down
  • Options
    Curbs isnt going to a get another opportunity that 'suits' him as much as this and probably hasnt since he left West Ham. Whether he wants it or not is another matter
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Do you know what work he has? Red Pete mentioned Al Jazeera , anything else? Did you get the impression he's ok with what he has? It's a puzzle to me why he isn't back in management, why he doesn't lower his sights a bit

He spent a bit of time out in Singapore when I was living out there, but that was back in 08-09.
  • Options
    Just read that they have approached Pulis.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Kap10 said:

He spent a bit of time out in Singapore when I was living out there, but that was back in 08-09.
    He's a regular as a pundit on many of the games shown out here in Canada. I think the production of those games is done in house by the Premier League and is then beamed out around the world to countries that don't necessarily have a local broadcaster who are putting on their own coverage.

I would imagine his views on the games are actually heard by a lot more people than watch Linekar and co on MOTD. Curbs is a very good pundit too. Not the most naturally charismatic bloke in world, but certainly someone who comes across as really knowing what he's on about and often picks up on things that other pundits have missed or ignored.

I'll miss his punditry if/when he goes back into management.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Not the most naturally charismatic bloke in world
    Nicely put.
  • Options
    Frightened if they get Pulis or even Warnock.
  • Options
    A couple of Palace mates have already got a downer about it being Pulis in all likelihood. One said he'd rather they went down again and built a team in the process, which is fair enough IMO. If Pulis keeps them up it would be a miracle, as both they and Sunderland look adrift, not just in terms of points but just a gulf in class.
  • Options
    Pulis. Palace talking to him already according to various websites, including BBC. Curbs will not Manage again IMO. Too long out of a changing game and losing player network.
  • Options

Peter Taylor

At Gillingham.....Its definetly Pulis