Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ian Holloway (ed. Gone from palace, still at Millwall)

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2013
    He can't afford to be fussy - mind you nor could Curbishley. In a strange sort of way, I would imagine the job would be more attractive to him in the Summer. The problem is, Palace can’t look for somebody to keep them up as Jesus isn’t a football manager so they have to look for somebody who can take defeat after defeat and build for next season. That isn’t an easy job – losing every week and will the Palace fans be patient. Especially if the job description is to try to keep them up. There were signs some of them were not with Holloway!
  • Options

Palace isn't really a full time Premiership job though. The question surely is whether Pulis will accept or not.

I think Pulis will turn it down. He left Stoke as he realised they could no longer compete and it's probably only a matter of time they drop back down. So why he'd want to join a club that's a nailed on certainty for relegation, god knows.

Just a pity Arry is in work atm, that bloke knows how to spend and would have them in administration before May......................
    Mr Pulis would you like a £1M pa salary & a £1M bonus to keep us up ?

Yeah, I really bet he'd turn it down.
    Bit silly adding the smokescreen of £1m to keep them up. It could be £30m and Ferguson with mourinho as his assistant wouldn't be able to keep them up this season. If you were offered a job in a local corner shop on £100pw with a bonus of £1m if they become the biggest supermarket in the country, would you accept it?

It's all about the wage in the bank and whether he thinks the club is set up to be a proper challenger next season, going up with a side capable of holding their own, with a few additions........

• Options
    Well, The Croydon Advertiser report above, seems to suggest that you're right and I'm wrong.
  • Options

I don't think so - he got them promoted! - I quite like him too so pleased he is away from them! I think he was getting a lot of abuse from the fans and that was a factor he didn't mention.

He got them promoted, but with Friedman's team. And only just.

If Palace had bought hardly anybody in the summer, then in a funny way the job might be more attractive. You'd have mediocre players, but at least there would be good team spirit, and a motivational manager could use this to grind out points. Instead, they have a bloated squad of players, many of which have no real connection to the club, and most of them aren't good enough for the PL anyway...
  • Options
    The Ultras have a 'wish list' of Managers.

Nigel Adkins
    Nigel Worthington
    Nigel Clough
    Nigel Pearson
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Nigel Adkins
    Nigel Worthington
    Nigel Clough
    Nigel Pearson

Need a recommend button for this sort of thing. Other half just asked why I was laughing.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Addickted said:

Nigel Adkins
    Nigel Worthington
    Nigel Clough
    Nigel Pearson

Don't forget Nigel Kennedy, he can fiddle whilst they crash and burn :0)
  • Options
    It appears holloway lost belief in his team spirit and didn't think he could keep them up so he voluntarily left.

Honourable guy in a way rare for any manager to put the club 1st like that.

Maybe he just didn't like the club and wanted out!
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Nigel Adkins
    Nigel Worthington
    Nigel Clough
    Nigel Pearson

Quite right, they said :- "we're only making plans for Nigel."
  • Options
    According to the croydon advertiser, the fans want Di Matteo. Well, I want kylie to pop round tonight and give me a lapdance................
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave2l said:

It appears holloway lost belief in his team spirit and didn't think he could keep them up so he voluntarily left.

Honourable guy in a way rare for any manager to put the club 1st like that.

Maybe he just didn't like the club and wanted out!

But didn't his actions in bringing in a shed full of players and binning off a number of those that got them promoted, contribute to a lack of team spirit in the first place?
  • Options
    Let's face it, the guy was on a hiding to nothing. Probably the weakest team to ever go into the premiership, along with losing the only player good enough for that level. They simply weren't ready for it, so were reduced into panic buying, spending money on mediocre players (Chamakh? dear god). It was for this reason I didn't particulaly envy them in May. We'd have been in exactly the same position if our late run of form had got us promoted.............
  • Options

I reckon Pulis or that grinning chimp Eddie Howe

Haha
  • Options

MattD said:

Still got about 6/7 years on his contract aint he (pardew)? They couldnt afford to buy that out..

Some sort of rolling contract I believe. Ashley is a lot more shrewd than he's given credit for.
    Does it include zero hours?

• Options
    http://sport.uk.msn.com/video-clips/?VideoID=2tpnqnoz

Hope the link works. It's a video of an interview with Curbs and John Barnes from the MSN website, in which Curbs states that he WOULD talk to Palace if they approached him.

Is it an overreaction to feel just a little bit betrayed? I'm obviously very naive as I really didn't think he'd even consider it.
  • Options
    Have to be honest... I didn't think he'd even consider it.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Have to be honest... I didn't think he'd even consider it.

Same, I'm surprised.

I'm hurt by his quick reaction of "I'd talk to them".

• Options
    "I'd talk to then" is classic Curbs. Says something but says nothing.

He's not saying he'd take the job or that he wouldn't. Only say that if they rang him he'd talk to them.
  • Options

"I'd talk to then" is classic Curbs. Says something but says nothing.

He's not saying he'd take the job or that he wouldn't. Only say that if they rang him he'd talk to them.

As a Charlton legend I would have hoped that he would have dismissed it immediately. He hasn't.
  • Options
    Nothing worse than buying players no better than you already got but thats what he did.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What Curbs should have done is punch Barnes in the mush for even suggesting it. It's the only acceptable reaction! :)
  • Options

What Curbs should have done is punch Barnes in the mush for even suggesting it. It's the only acceptable reaction! :)

Exactly that. And threatened to report Palace to OFCOM as a nuisance caller if they dared to telephone him.
  • Options
    BBC London reporting that the latest palace managerial target Aitor Karanka (coach at Real Madrid) is set to be announced tomorrow as manager ..

.. of Middlesbrough
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Nigel Adkins
    Nigel Worthington
    Nigel Clough
    Nigel Pearson

You can add Nigel Appleton to that list
  • Options

BBC London reporting that the latest palace managerial target Aitor Karanka (coach at Real Madrid) is set to be announced tomorrow as manager ..

.. of Middlesbrough

I have a Palace acquaintance who put £100 on Palace getting him as he'd heard they were in talks. Unlucky!
  • Options
    edited November 2013

.. of Middlesbrough

I have a Palace acquaintance who put £100 on Palace getting him as he'd heard they were in talks. Unlucky!
    I hope you informed him that he has more chance of wee Jimmy Krankie turning up riding Nookie Bear. Deluded Nigel muppets...

• Options
    Who's it gonna be then? Parish said on the radio last weekend that he expected to be announcing a new manager on Wednesday or Thursday, having supposedly narrowed it down to three or four candidates. Would appear they are struggling to attract anyone decent.

Meulensteen and Karanka are out of it (if they were ever in it). Dan Petrescu is the bookies' favourite this morning whilst Andrea Stramaccioni, sacked in May after 14 months in charge of Inter Milan, is also being linked with the job on a couple of websites. Alan Curbishley has pulled out of the Back to The Valley Dinner due to "work commitments", which surely means that he is either working on Sky's coverage of Chelsea against Southampton or that he anticipates spending the 1st December trying to cheer up his demoralised Eagles after their 6-0 hammering at Norwich.

Of the long shots, Roberto Di Matteo looks well worth a quid or two at odds of 100/1 with Skybet, he came top of a Croydon Advertiser poll of who Palace fans want as manager. To put those very generous odds into context, Bet Victor are offering 100/1 on Kenny Sansom, who revealed in August that he was sleeping rough having lost all his money to gambling and alcohol. Michael Appleton looks a bargain at 66/1, having recently been surprisingly overlooked by United, City and Chelsea, Stoke, Sunderland, Wigan, Derby, Brighton, Middlesbrough and Millwall.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Oh, the irony of Kenny Sansom being a bad bet.

Reckon it'll be PetRescue. Think they'd be better to put them down. Kinder in the long run, stop them suffering etc etc.
  • Options
    John McCririck, he's looking for a role .. couldn't be worse some other clowns who've got managerial jobs in the past
  • Options
    Di Matteo would be mad to take it, he's much better than that lot deserve.