Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton 1 - 0 Col U - Post match views

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Francis made no more mis-placed passes or mis controlled more times than anyone else on the pitch. Played an important part in the goal and was our greatest attacking threat in terms of chance creation. In my opinion of course.

That makes him rubbish in some people's eyes.
  • Live text report on OS still says 1-1. Weird, but it's 3 points so who cares.
  • Francis has the first touch of a disabled elephant, but he did get forward well and put in good crosses
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]

Why on earth did he blow his whistle? Bizarre!

From where I was sitting the Col U player looked obviously off side. I can only imagine the ref thought so too and just blew without even looking for the lino. Then to his horror no flag. Really poor of him to give the goal though if he'd blown. Play to the whistle! If the whistle goes, the game stops. Simple. It seemed as if it needed the 4th official + Powell to explain this to him. Major embarassment to the ref. A woman could have done better.......! JOKE!!!
  • Agree on Francis ,
    he gets so much stick but are biggest threat tonight.
  • Poor game, not a great performance and a bizarre refereeing decision, but we won = a good evening!
  • that ref what a price clown

i was right inline with the play on that side

The colchester player was onside according to the lino but the ref blew as the ball was played for offside, they carry on and score and to be honest i dont believe we stopped.

then he goes to the lino and he says it was not offside but you could see the ref dsid not know what to do he gives the goal, Semedo is going but you blew your whistle you blew it, the ref nods in agreement.

powelly goes mental the 4th official seemed to be beratting the referee telling him you had stopped play the goal can not stand then he gives a drop ball.

fantastic absolutely hillarious.

i thought we played ok great goal, screaming out for a centre midfield ball player.

Francis delivered some excellent balls into the box but let himself down with the basics.

leeds can say what they want the new boy looked more than capable and jeeesus is he quick

Joe didnt seem sharp at all was not looking for the flicks and 2nd ball quick enough

we should have gone in 1 up jackson (i think) missed a sitter

fair result good 3 points

very happy in nth london tonight
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]From where I was sitting the Col U player looked obviously off side. I can only imagine the ref thought so too and just blew without even looking for the lino. Then to his horror no flag. Really poor of him to give the goal though if he'd blown. Play to the whistle! If the whistle goes, the game stops. Simple. It seemed as if it needed the 4th official + Powell to explain this to him. Major embarassment to the ref. A woman could have done better.......! JOKE!!!

I am trying to piece together what happened, did the referee ACTUALLY BLOW for an offside and then, when the linesman did not flag, waved play on? Is that what happened?

If the referee blows his whistle then play must stop, he can't play on after that.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Well, I started off going to the game. Got hopelessly stuck coming down the A12. Realised I was going to be at least half and hour late. Decided reluctantly to turn back. Wish I'd pressed on. I'd probably would have got there in time to watch the second half!

Important win against a side who are there or thereabouts. Shame about Southampton scoring the winner through Lambert in 90 minute. Still he's up in front of the beak this week.[/quote]

Isnt it Barnard who is up in front of the beak this week?
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]A woman could have done better.......! JOKE!!!

Told you!....now for Hope Powell to be the first women manager of a Premier League team! ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]From where I was sitting the Col U player looked obviously off side. I can only imagine the ref thought so too and just blew without even looking for the lino. Then to his horror no flag. Really poor of him to give the goal though if he'd blown. Play to the whistle! If the whistle goes, the game stops. Simple. It seemed as if it needed the 4th official + Powell to explain this to him. Major embarassment to the ref. A woman could have done better.......! JOKE!!!

I am trying to piece together what happened, did the referee ACTUALLY BLOW for an offside and then, when the linesman did not flag, waved play on? Is that what happened?

If the referee blows his whistle then play must stop, he can't play on after that.

Yeah he blew, loud and clear well before the player shot. As I said it looked very offside to me and he obviously thought the same. Maybe it wasn't and the lino was right but he blew, that is all that matters.
  • edited February 2011
    haha me old mate francis. ill give him some praise for a change. 3/4 very good crosses and first 5 minutes he looked a proper player. im gonna bite my tongue for the rest of his performance.

like the new left back. plays the ball into our forwards feet and if he cant, tries to sneak it down the side of the full back.

BWP one chance one goal....exactly what we need from a forward cos to be honest we dont make many chances.

Semedo different class apart from his touch sometimes. not much of a problem when you rattle the bloke that won it off ya.

general performance was very poor though.
  • [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]Racon anonymous again.

Haha, you've got to love Charlton supporters !
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]From where I was sitting the Col U player looked obviously off side. I can only imagine the ref thought so too and just blew without even looking for the lino. Then to his horror no flag. Really poor of him to give the goal though if he'd blown. Play to the whistle! If the whistle goes, the game stops. Simple. It seemed as if it needed the 4th official + Powell to explain this to him. Major embarassment to the ref. A woman could have done better.......! JOKE!!!

Yeah he blew, loud and clear well before the player shot. As I said it looked very offside to me and he obviously thought the same. Maybe it wasn't and the lino was right but he blew, that is all that matters.

Thanks Chirps, I was wondering what the hell happened because the BBC Kent commentary team had no idea of what had actually gone on.

Jesus, if he had given that as a goal after blowing for a stoppage then there would surely have been grounds for the game to be replayed, you simply cannot stop play with your whistle and then arbitrarily re-start play again.

Luckily we will never know but it would have created one hell of a storm if he had let it stand.
  • Bessone excellent and an improvement on Fry, who I'd guess will be going back to WHU after Yeovil?

Francis was good going forward and just about got away with things in defence. It seems Powell sees something he can work with there, and I think he might yet make a half-decent defender out of the guy.

Until SCP took over we hadn't kept a clean sheet in three months. Now we've kept two out of two. Decision to change already justified, perhaps ?

McOxo was impressive, too, for the second game running, and worked really hard. Deserved his place ahead of Racon and is not now going to be easily disloged. An automatic name in Powell's starting XI for the foreseeable, I suspect.

Still a bit disjointed in some ways. But moving in the right direction on every level.
  • Maddest thing i've ever seen in football!

+ Eccleston has to start, so lively!
  • "isn't it Barnard who is up in front of the beak this week?"

Yes, my mistake.
  • I think the player was onside it would've been marginal if he wernt.

The lino on that side looked about 12 was the size of an oompahlompa and was as useful.

The ref blew his whistle clearly before he shot but Elliot went for it and we did not stop it looked for all purposes a good goal and a tidy finish.

But the ref had called a stop to the game and therefore the goal could not stand.

He should've over ruled the lino and stuck to his decision.

The thing is since when did the fourth official get the power to ref the game, as far as I am aware it is not in his remit to tell the ref hr has made a huge error.

The ref and that lino should be sacked
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]haha me old mate francis. ill give him some praise for a change. 3/4 very good crosses and first 5 minutes he looked a proper player. im gonna bite my tongue for the rest of his performance.

Made me smile, Gary. Nice one, haha!

;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]I think the player was onside it would've been marginal if he wernt.

The lino on that side looked about 12 was the size of an oompahlompa and was as useful.

The ref blew his whistle clearly before he shot but Elliot went for it and we did not stop it looked for all purposes a good goal and a tidy finish.

But the ref had called a stop to the game and therefore the goal could not stand.

He should've over ruled the lino and stuck to his decision.

The thing is since when did the fourth official get the power to ref the game, as far as I am aware it is not in his remit to tell the ref hr has made a huge error.

Still as non-commital as ever in your opinions NLA....:)
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought we were cack to be honest. First half was turgid and we sat way to deep in midfield.

Other than the goal, did we create another chance in the second half? To be honest I was so bored that i spent most of the evening checking the other results on my phone.

Great finish for the goal.

Anyinsah looked injured again when he went off. Hope the huge icepack on BWP's knee as he walked off, is just part of managing the injury.

I called the cock up by the ref from the North Upper. He clearly blew up. Dailly definitely stopped. He was facing me when they scored. I'm not sure what the rules are around the 4th official intervening, but fair play to him - regardless of whether the bloke is offside or not the ref blew and the ball was dead so no goal.

We are crying out for a central midfielder. Semedo and McCormack is just so negative. Time and time again McCormack was 5 yards behind Semedo.

If we fancy automatics we are going to have to play a hell of alot better than tonight.

Maybe Powell will be a lucky manager as I personally don't think we have convinced in either of his games and no one could have argued if Colchester had got a point tonight.
  • Semedo was excellent I thought.
  • [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]Semedo was excellent I thought.

Agreed. Was discussing this on the way home. He was MOM by a country mile but we still found ourselves slating the midfield. We need a creator player alongside him. Jackson and Wagstaff didn't do enough for me.
  • Chrissy Powell got that goal chalked off.

He's a lovely bloke that everyone likes. So when he started going completely mental the 4th official clearly felt compelled to do something about it.

Well done Chrissy.
  • I think we dealt with a big strong colchester side and we coped admirably .

We are 1 or 2 players short and it was not as poor as some are making out it was a good hardearned 3 points and we out played them for short periods in both halves. All they did was lump it
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]The thing is since when did the fourth official get the power to ref the game, as far as I am aware it is not in his remit to tell the ref hr has made a huge error.

I don't think there is anything to stop a dialogue between the Ref and the 4th Official. It is up to the Ref if he changes his mind.

The whistle being blown here is the key issue. Once he does this, the ball is dead. He can't wish that he hadn't even if he realised he'd made a mistake. Not to have disallowed the goal would just be piling one mistake on another. Two wrongs don't make a right.
  • [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]Semedo was excellent I thought.
    Seconded...
    That tackle in the first half was brilliant, the bloke literally front flipped!
  • Negs: Back 4 far too deep, leaving massive gap between them and midfield, no service from Jackson into the box at all, Front 2 far too similar.

Pos: Francis bombing forward is better than the defending one! Semedo did well, quality finish by BWP and Eccleston must start instead of Aniansah.

The linesman was on crack.
  • this is what eccleston has just tweeted on twitter.

I aint accepting this for much longer #frustrated!!
  • Not a great game but we'll take 3 points anyway we can get them.
    Personally i though Colchester were pretty sh*t, i lost count of the number of times one of their players shanked it out of play or horribly misplaced a pass.

We need a creative midfielder badly though. McCormack and Semedo won't create enough to get a side promoted.