Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton 1 - 0 Col U - Post match views

Comments

• So the long and short of it is that an official may have got an off-side decision wrong?
  • Game was exactly how i expected it to be, a tight game played out by two very similar and limited sides.

Questioned beforehand whether a striker should really have been our transfer window priority, but in BWP last night you saw the difference between winning a game and drawing a game. An excellent finish in his only real chance.

We are industrious and certainly can't fault effort, but the first 60 minutes was an underpar spectacle which i feel i have now seen countless times in recent years. It doesn't matter who manages or who plays for us it seems, once again it was a flat, patchy performance that failed to deliver any real sense of intrigue or excitement.

Then the ref took over and livened it up. In fact it livened up just before that. Its telling that the game was so boring that it took a good old fashioned oppo goal kick and a 'youre sh*t, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh' to get the crowd smiling and back in the game.

Thought Elliot pulled off a couple of real top draw saves, the centre halves were solid, Francis clearly getting forward more and looking better for it, Bassone a solid addition, Waggy and Jackson failing to put down any real marker on the game, which coupled with a pair of industrious but creatively limited centre midfielders meant offensive supply was fairly starved. The front two were lively off the scraps they had.

Another 3 points were the key thing, particularly with most others above winning. No great revolution here, but hopefully a couple of wins is slowly filtering through some increased confidence.
  • Don't think Eccleston's tweet is about us, he is allowed to post other things on there not Charlton related!

On the game. 1st half was terrible quality football it was constantly up in the air. We really should have been one or two up, Waggy should have buried his chance at the start. Elliot made some good saves.

2nd half was better but only really after the ref made a cock up. Semedo was excellent and everywhere one of his best performances, McCormack didn't do much but saved us at the end.

I still think we can play alot better, would start Ecclestone instead of Waggy against Yeovil as well. But it was a solid 3 points considering everyone else got results and we still have alot of games in hand over teams above us.
  • I was fully expecting the Ref to give them a soft pen. He didn't.

Hope the incident is shown on the highlights. Imagine if that was one of the Sky four. There would be questions in parliament.
  • TELTEL
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]Thoughts the ref was a tit, lots of strangeness about his performance.

Good points about the team but a lot of work still needed.

I hope the col U fan that was stretchered away last night is ok

Not sure what was going on with that lad....he was either unwell or drunk as a skunk at half time and it took an age to get him stretchered off....yet as we were leaving the ground after the final whistle, the Ambulance was only just leaving (lights flashing)......very very strange.
  • edited February 2011
    Posted By:Henry Irving [cite]
    Hope the incident is shown on the highlights.

So do I, won't be much else to show apart from the goal!
  • dull game..but a win and a great finish from BWP.

Semedo was immense, MOM by a mile, Bassone was excellent (although it was only after he actually went off that I realised it was him and not Fry!!! - thought Fry did really well when he came on to)

Alot had been said about Francis, he did o.k last night going forward 2 or 3 decent crosses, but he first touch is woeful.

The real disappointment for me was the wide men Waggy and JJ, both pretty ineffective although Waggy came into it a bit more in the 2nd half, we certainly felt Reid should've come on for JJ with half hour to go.
  • Just watched League One Highlights on Sky Sports News every game except Charlton shown annoying.
  • [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]Thoughts the ref was a tit, lots of strangeness about his performance.

Good points about the team but a lot of work still needed.

I hope the col U fan that was stretchered away last night is ok

Not sure what was going on with that lad....he was either unwell or drunk as a skunk at half time and it took an age to get him stretchered off....yet as we were leaving the ground after the final whistle, the Ambulance was only just leaving (lights flashing)......very very strange.

It can be a very bad sign, if it takes an age to leave the scene it can mean they are trying to get the patient stabilized before moving them. They cleared all the fans away whilst working which also leads me to believe it was rather more serious than a drunkard
  • edited February 2011
    Excellent win, the sort of games that get you promoted, not playing to our best but still picking up 3 points against a promotion rival.

Elliott was excellent, pulled off a couple of class saves and looked solid all game.

Good debut from Bassone, looked comfortable going forward and defensively. Dailly and Doherty looked solid if not abit slow off the mark for a couple of their chances but did a job. Francis, got forward exceptionally well and for once put in a couple of really dangerous balls into the box but it seemed for every good thing he did, there was a mistake, like the first half backpace which nearly went horribly wrong.

Jackson and Waggy were very quiet and not really involved, McCormack was good in my opinion, starting to prefer him in the middle to Racon as seems to be slightly more creative and attempted a few through balls. Semedo was class as usual was everywhere, mopping up and driving us forward, my man of the match.

Anyinsah put in a good shift, was slightly miffed when he was subbed, would of probably taken BWP off at the time who had a fairly quiet game up until the goal. BWP showed some nice touches and cut in from the wing a few times and looks to offer something different from the rest of our strikeforce and his finish for his goal was superb, a good debut.

Benson looked slightly jaded when he came on, been out for so long and not sure if he is going to get another consistant run in the team now so fear for him a bit. Eccleston didn't get much of a look in the time he came on, was gutted he didn't get that chance when he was through on goal before the ref blew up for full time.

As for the disallowed goal, was unsure of what was going on, was handled so poorly by the officials but from what I understand, Alex Dyer played a big part in getting the decision overturned so well done him. From what I understand, the ref blew up before the ball hit the net for a foul anyway. Was great to see some passion on the bench which I think Dyer will provide with abundance. The whole management setup really looks the part now.

Although not much to get excited about, no atmosphere inside The Valley again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Posted without reading other posts.

A strange game dominated by the "goal" that wasn't. I was there yet still don't have a scooby as to why it was (eventually) disallowed. However I'll take it as we've been on the wrong end of a number of dodgy decisions for a long time now.

Ooh ah's favourite player definitely kept us in it with 4 or 5 really good saves yet I felt we were the better side even though we didn't work their keeper as much.

Derek Hales, sorry Bradley Wright -Phillips did next to nothing for most of the match and then popped up with a really special goal which gained us the 3 points.

I didn't feel we were as good as against Plymouth but then Colchester are probably a better side, certainly harder to beat as the table shows, so we have to be grateful and pleased for the 3 points. Bessione was steady and had one surging foray into their penalty area in the second half. Francis was the usual mix of sublime and ridiculous. Was he the one that cleared off the line at the death? Waggy was quiet but working hard off the ball and finally made the breakthrough to supply the cross for Brad's goal. Semedo came into it more and more as the game progressed after what I thought was a relatively anonymous first half for him. Anyinsah ran himself into the ground and those I've not mentioned were competent without being outstanding although I should say that Oxo man did ok too, particularly in the first half.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Posted without reading other posts.

A strange game dominated by the "goal" that wasn't. I was there yet still don't have a scooby as to why it was (eventually) disallowed.

The answers are on this thread Len.
  • There were a few times where the Ref could definitely have evened up his mistake with a penalty - there were about 3 appeals in a row that could have been easily given for a ref looking to give one. I was amazed he didn't.

I think the ref just made a mistake and by trying to cover for his initial mistake made a couple more. I'd be livid if I was a Col U fan, but them's the breaks.

I doubt he'll be reffing next weekend.
  • The decision:

The ref blew his whistle BEFORE their player controlled it and shot. The game stops when the whistle blows: Play to the whistle (you've all heard that). I could clearly hear the 4th official saying to the ref "That is the rules of football - you cannot give a goal!".

The game:

Elliott produced a couple of great saves and his distribution was very good and he was always looking for a throw-out-pass.
    Francis delivered some fine crosses BUT is a worry, cannot control a simple pass!
    Bessone looked promising, keeping the ball on the grass, looking for forward passes and making runs. Good solid debut.
    Dailly&Doc still not commanding enough with their combined experience
    Semedo had a blinder, if only he could learn to use his other foot too, what a player he would be
    Mac is getting better but a way to go yet, crucial goal line clearance from... Mooney
    Jackson is off his game at the moment, maybe Reid should be given a game to wake the pair of them up!
    Wagstaff very quiet, BUT assisted with a beautiful delicate cut back for the goal
    Anyinsah worked hard but was ananymous often when his strike partner had won headed knock ons
    Wright-Phillips worked ever so hard, kept plugging away and got his just deserts. Nice finish. Very good debut indeed.

Benson - Why does he have to try 'the flick on' every time, it came off once (fine) but we lost possession too often. I assume he was brought on to keep the ball up their end but kept giving it away. CP was going mental.
  • Has anyone seen the goal on tv yet. Seen the other League One goals but not ours.
  • [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Has anyone seen the goal on tv yet. Seen the other League One goals but not ours.

Just showed the non goal and our goal on SSN.
  • Re: Francis, he was excellent going forward. Some of the best crossing I've seen from an Addick for a few seasons. Looked like he had the beating of their wide left player all day BUT some horrible defensive lapses. Gave the ball away twice in positions that forced good saves out of Robbie. It's all very well to moan about people digging him out mindlessly, but it's equally wrong to praise mindlessly too.
  • Colchester fans are saying that the game restarted, and ward has also said so, but having been there I am pretty sure they lined up for kick off but did not, if only because our management team were on the pitch remonstrating, anyone disagree?

If the game had restarted then the goal should have stood, however wrong the goalmay or may not have been.
  • [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]I could clearly hear the 4th official saying to the ref "That is the rules of football - you cannot give a goal!".
    That's interesting. I kind of figured that would be the gist of the conversation. I've never seen a fourth official step in and take control like that before. I suppose the closest example was Zidane's Last Stand, but that was something that the ref had reasonably not seen. This was a 4th official going onto the pitch to remind the ref of the rules. What I thought was particularly pathetic from the refs point of view was that having blown and come under pressure from the Col players, that he then went over to the lino, who was having a shocking game anyway and seemed to confer with him about the decision. It doesn't matter you absoute clown, you blew your whistle. You can wander around the ground having a chat with everyone, but nothing they say will alter that fact.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Colchester fans are saying that the game restarted, and ward has also said so, but having been there I am pretty sure they lined up for kick off but did not, if only because our management team were on the pitch remonstrating, anyone disagree?

If the game had restarted then the goal should have stood, however wrong the goalmay or may not have been.
    The game couldn't re-start. As well as our management team the fourth official was on the pitch remonstrating!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Re: Francis, he was excellent going forward. Some of the best crossing I've seen from an Addick for a few seasons. Looked like he had the beating of their wide left player all day BUT some horrible defensive lapses. Gave the ball away twice in positions that forced good saves out of Robbie. It's all very well to moan about people digging him out mindlessly, but it's equally wrong to praise mindlessly too.

I mentioned this somewhere else, but perhaps we could try Francis in the right wing posistion? He isnt that good defensively but he is very quick and powerful down the wing and as we saw yesterday, can put in some good crosses...

any thoughts?
  • Maybe viable when Solly is fit but we don't have any other right backs then Francis for cover at the moment.
  • not a good performance same old shite in my eyes lots of work to be done ,dont like francis never had but i thought he did ok we still need someone who can create things from midfield .
  • [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]Maybe viable when Solly is fit but we don't have any other right backs then Francis for cover at the moment.
    Jenkinson?
  • I missed last night but wonder for those who went, were the crowd more patient than they have been under Parky? I certainly thought that against Plymouth - albeit the performance was a little better by all accounts.

I just wondered because in both games we didn't score until the second half.
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]I've never seen a fourth official step in and take control like that before.

Colchester manager says that he (and presumably all managers) were briefed before the season started that the 4th Official can step in on major game changing matters, so he was doing precisely what he was supposed to do.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I missed last night but wonder for those who went, were the crowd more patient than they have been under Parky? I certainly thought that against Plymouth - albeit the performance was a little better by all accounts.

I just wondered because in both games we didn't score until the second half.

to be honest we should av been 2up after 25 mins ,wagstaff and jackson missed great opportunities ,and yes the crowd were more patient because deep down we all know there is a lot of hard work to be done.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]Maybe viable when Solly is fit but we don't have any other right backs then Francis for cover at the moment.
    Jenkinson?

his defensive performance against Brentford was one of the best ive seen this season, didnt looked fazed at all.

personally, i'd start him. Dailly & Doherty next him in his ear all game would bring him on even further.
  • From what's been said (and I wasn't there last night) seems the ref made a right pig's ear of the situation. I would suggest maybe if he's using the buzzer flags, the unit on his arm has buzzed for no reason as they're likely to do but still he should look at his assistant to see the raising of the flag to indicate an offside offence. Remember an assistant only indicates the offence, the referee actually awards the indirect free kick.
    The way I understand it is that once he's stopped play then the ball is dead and the goal cannot be awarded so awarding the goal just made a wrong decision even more wrong by contravening the laws of the game. He gave a drop ball for the following reason which is law 8 (see below). He cannot award to free kick to either side as no offence has been committed so the only way to restart play is a drop ball. Trust me that referee would have been slaughtered by the assessor. The correct decision was made in the end but he'll lose points for panicking by originally giving the goal and then having to be corrected by the 4th official. The 4th got the ref out of all sorts of trouble in the end.

Dropped ball
    If, while the ball is still in play, the referee is required to stop play temporarily
    for any reason not mentioned elsewhere in the Laws of the Game, the match is
    restarted with a dropped ball.

Procedure
    The referee drops the ball at the place where it was located when play was
    stopped, unless play was stopped inside the goal area, in which case the
    referee drops the ball on the goal area line parallel to the goal line at the point
    nearest to where the ball was located when play was stopped.
    Play restarts when the ball touches the ground.
  • Anyone who hasn't seen the shambles it's on SSN this hour