Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton 1 - 0 Col U - Post match views

Comments

• Re the 'goal' - I heard the ref whistle, said to my brother he can't give a goal because he's blown the whistle. Then he points to the spot. I can only think he spoke to the linesman and asked him whether he thought the defenders stopped when he blew up, but i think that's irrelevant. The ref has made two huge errors - blowing the whistle for offside when the lino didnt flag and secondly, allowing play to continue after whistling. I've never seen a goal disallowed when the players have already lined up for the kick-off, absolute shambles.
  • [cite]Posted By: geecare[/cite]this is what eccleston has just tweeted on twitter.

I aint accepting this for much longer #frustrated!!
    Not sure it's about footy, his previous tweet said how it was good three points and he was gutted the ref didnt play another 20 seconds.

Hope he's not like that if it is to do with not starting though.
  • TELTEL
    edited February 2011
    Not a great game at all. Bessone looked classy, hope he isn't seriously injured. The game was crying out for Racon to create some space, McOxo started well but faded. I thought quite a lot of our lot had forgotten their football boots and played with clown boots. The ref and lino joined in the fun, all that was missing was Harpo to give us a toot....never seen anything quite like it. Disallowed the goal after clearly blowing his whistle, consults the lino and gives it, runs back towards the haf way, gets berated by our bench, the fourth official chips in, then back to the lino and it's disallowed.....took all of 4-5 minutes, absolutely bizarre. BWP took his goal really well, but I think we got away with it tonight, we must improve if we are seriously going to challenge. I think Colchester play some nice football and suddenly David Mooney looks like a footballer.
  • The ref can blow for offside without the lino flagging. The ref has ultimate control.
  • Obviously I didn't make it tonight but I think we should take some real positives from the game

1. The result obviously
    2. A win against a decent side at this level who were level on points with us and a side that we failed to beat a few weeks ago when they had ten men.
    3. BWP scoring on his debut
    4. Decent debut for Bessone
    5. Two wins out of two for CP
    6. Thank god there wasn't a woman in charge of the game!....:-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]The ref can blow for offside without the lino flagging. The ref has ultimate control.

This.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]The ref can blow for offside without the lino flagging. The ref has ultimate control.

This.

Yes he can and that's probably what he should have done to save face.
  • 3 parts of the game stand out for me:

1. Wright Phillips goal - great finish
    2. Refs mistake- we came out on top so it was hillarious- wouldn't have been so funny the other way around
    3. Semedos completely fair but completely bone crunchng tackle on the half way line where the Colchester player somehow manager to flip right over.

Not a vintage performance, but 3 points will do very nicely.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: geecare[/cite]this is what eccleston has just tweeted on twitter.

Not sure it's about footy, his previous tweet said how it was good three points and he was gutted the ref didnt play another 20 seconds.

I make you right

He was asked earlier today how the loan move is going so far, and he said

"so far so good can't complain enjoying it :) "
  • Thought the fans were brilliant tonight, even for the 2 mins where the ref gave colchesters goal we were singing our hearts out, well done lads!
  • Sponsored links:

• Maybe not, he just retweeted some stupid scouser saying he could get in the Liverpool team let alone Charlton.
  • Semedo was amazing today and great goal by BWP. Worried about him having a bandage on his knee going down the tunnel at the end though, hopefully just precaution.
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: geecare[/cite]this is what eccleston has just tweeted on twitter.

I make you right

"so far so good can't complain enjoying it :) "

him, reid and racon were having a laugh at half time he looked happy enough

i think he could play up top with BWP but we would have to change our approach play. pretty sure elliot had over 50 succesful passes to either of colchesters centre halves.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: IA[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: geecare[/cite]this is what eccleston has just tweeted on twitter.

I aint accepting this for much longer #frustrated!![/quote]

Hope he's not like that if it is to do with not starting though.[/quote]

he just retweeted this

Nate u have the quality to secure a role in Liverpool team let alone charlton!

seems like he is upset that he aint starting

I make you right

"so far so good can't complain enjoying it :) "[/quote]
  • poxy twitter. he should wrap up and get his head down, speak to his manager in the morning. cant stand twitter especially when footballers use it.
  • Hmmm I see the retweet now. Strange. Hopefully he's not actually like that in real life, whatever about on t'internet
  • Don't get me started on footballers and Twitter ................ not again!
  • In the end, he's been here for two games. If it is about starting then he needs to get bloody realistic.
  • Any tweets from McCormack tonight, like where he's wining and dining?

;o)
  • Not a good performance by a long chalk but lots of positives and three points.

As col u were in our faces we had little time so hoofed it often and the whole display was disjointed but .......

Bassone was starting to settle, Fry came on and did well (hope and expect him to be here all season) BWP took his one chance, francis did well going forward, eccles is class, Elliot was solid and made good saves and dealt with too many back passes.

Was this the shining dawn of a new era and totally different from before Powell? Not at all but the squad is stronger and I can only see this team improving. Biggest difference is the options upfront.

As for ref. He made a mistake and got himself totally confused trying to correct it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought it was a poor performance to be honest and we had a nice slice of luck, albeit with the right decision eventually being made.
    Bessone had a promising debut. BWP shows how important it is to have that touch of class in the team. We still need two more classy players for us to really challenge but hopefully they will join in next couple of weeks.
    Once we got the goal the football improved but up till then I thought we were poor and were lucky that a mixture of misses, saves and ref intervention kept us at level pegging.
    I'm not really seeing a massive improvement on the football side yet but that will take time I suppose.
    However 2 wins out of 2 and 2 clean sheets, say that something is going right and long may it continue!
  • Never seen anything like what happened tonight, and if it had been us denied a goal like that I'm sure we would have been far from happy. A wins a win however and although BWP had a quiet game he did the business when it mattered. As they say give me a lucky general rather than a good one. Also thought Bessone was impressive on his debut.
  • He should have come on earlier imo Jackson offered little tonight.

Twater bookface all Footballers should steer clear, it will get back to the mgr and then he really could end up back in Liverpool reserves. Or worse for him ala mcleod he can find himself ineligible to play for anyone if he gets sent back for disciplinary reasons
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]we had a nice slice of luck

You mean it was "lucky" the referee corrected his howling mistake?

I believe it's going to be "unlucky " for that referee when he will be asked to explain why he played on, having stopped the game and then attempted to allow a subsequent "goal".

That referee is going to be in deep water.
  • Can anyone remember if after the disallowed goal, did we kick off to restart the game and the ref stopped it to speak to the 4th official or did he speak to him before we restarted?

Just a point someone has raised somewhere else needs clarifying.
  • i think its a pisstake that eccelston retweeted that comment from a scouse prat!!
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]Can anyone remember if after the disallowed goal, did we kick off to restart the game and the ref stopped it to speak to the 4th official or did he speak to him before we restarted?

The players lined up to re-start the game, but had not kicked off.

The game was restarted by a dropped ball just outside our penalty area ..... presumably at the place where the referee had first stopped play.
  • [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]Can anyone remember if after the disallowed goal, did we kick off to restart the game and the ref stopped it to speak to the 4th official or did he speak to him before we restarted?

No. The kick off was not taken.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]Can anyone remember if after the disallowed goal, did we kick off to restart the game and the ref stopped it to speak to the 4th official or did he speak to him before we restarted?

No. The kick off was not taken.

That's ok then, cheers Chirpy.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]Can anyone remember if after the disallowed goal, did we kick off to restart the game and the ref stopped it to speak to the 4th official or did he speak to him before we restarted?

The game was restarted by a dropped ball just outside our penalty area ..... presumably at the place where the referee had first stopped play.

Sheldrake, More like Charlie Drake. If that had happened to us, we would have been livid. Imagine if that was Ferguson, his nose would have been red raw.