Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FourFourTwo's Charlton Dream XI

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Hello Charlton fans,
FourFourTwo magazine here. We could use your help.

We're now working on our April issue, which is a Football League special.

Within it, we are to display a 'Perfect XI' for every Football League club (ie. a dream team of the best players to ever represent that club).

As such, we're looking for a match-going supporter from each team who knows the club's history to give us their views as part of the decision process.

The 72 fans who help us out will each get their name in the magazine alongside their respective team.

What formation would you pick? Which 11 players? And which manager? Clearly the formation has to be workable (ie. not 2-3-5 or something)

If you'd be interested in helping us out, and you think you could objectively pick a Charlton team + manager based on the club's history (and not just over the last decade), we'd love to hear from you.

Please email: charlie.ghagan@haymarket.com (there's no need to send a team quite yet though)

Thanks,
FourFourTwo

Comments

• but who's to say that with the right players that 2-3-5 might not work again?
  • I really hope one of our many muppet fans doesn't do this!
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I really hope one of our many muppet fans doesn't do this!

Agree. I've seen a few similar features over the years for us and other clubs and been absolutely gobsmacked by some of the names they've come up with.
  • Francis

Francis Francis Francis Francis

Francis Francis
  • It has probably been done before, but we could suggest some names in here?

For me (im 22, beein a ST holder since I was 5) some players that could be included are:

Kiely,

Rufus, Powell, Young

Parker, Kinsella, Jonny Robinson, Jenson

Mendonca, Darrent Bent,
  • Thanks for all the responses – we've got someone onboard now.
    Don't worry, we'll also be consulting the club to make sure the XI is up to scratch!
    Cheers,
    FourFourTwo
  • I guess it depends if you're only allowed to select players that you saw live.

So for instance, if it was all time greats then you'd have to choose between Kiely (who you saw) and Bartram (who is clearly a Charlton legend, he has a bar and a statue in his honour - but you never actually saw him play). Similarly, for many it would be hard to include Derek Hales, who although was a legend we never actually saw him play so how could we leave out Mendonca (who I assume everyone would have in their team) or Bent (who most would have in their team).

Also do you pick players on ability or "legend" status ? I'd say Bent deserves the former but Mendonca the latter ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite]Francis

Francis Francis

Er ..

El Khalej

El Khalej El Khalej El Khalej El Khalej

El Khalej El Khalej El Khalej El Khalej

El Khalej El Khalej
  • Kiely
    Young Costa Rufus Powell
    Robinson Murphy Parker Jensen
    Bent Mendonca
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I really hope one of our many muppet fans doesn't do this!

Errrrrr............
    [cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite]Francis

Francis Francis

Muppet!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Robert[/cite]It has probably been done before, but we could suggest some names in here?

For me (im 22, beein a ST holder since I was 5) some players that could be included are:

Kiely,

Rufus, Powell, Young

Mendonca, Darrent Bent,

Only ten men? That is an adventurous formation!
  • I got the nod.

Happy to represent the majority views from here and other sources, plus my own 50 years+ input. Note that we've only got until Monday morning.

Here's the e-mail I got from FourFourTwo:

Hi Dave,

FourFourTwo magazine here. Thanks for offering to pick Charlton’s all-time dream for next month’s magazine. The good news is, you have been chosen to represent your club!

What we want is an all-time XI + one manager, with a sentence or two on each person saying why they merit a place in the team (eg. a golden moment/season, a particular strength of their game, etc.)

But we don't just want it to be your favourite team, but a team that most fans of your club would agree on, past and present. So feel free to consult fellow fans older and younger than yourself, as we want this to be a definitive dream team.

FourFourTwo will also be consulting all our experts and may therefore tinker with the team if it's deemed appropriate.

We'd be delighted to credit you + plug your club-related website in the magazine in return – just let us know which one you’re connected to/post on.

*PLEASE NOTE, WE WILL REQUIRE ALL TEAMS + MANAGER BY NEXT MONDAY MORNING, FEBRUARY 7, IN ORDER TO GET THEM IN THE MAGAZINE. IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO DO THIS, WE'D REALLY APPRECIATE IT IF YOU COULD LET US KNOW TO GIVE US ENOUGH TIME TO FIND A REPLACEMENT*

--

As part of a bigger Football League special we are doing this month, we would also be grateful if you could answer the following questions.

Who are the best away fans in your division (apart from your own)?

Who are the best home fans in your division (apart from your own)?

Which ground is the best to visit in your division (apart from your own), taking into account facilities inside and nearby ground, atmosphere, helpfulness of the stewards, view of the pitch?

Which ground (apart from your own) serves the best pie/butty/food?

Thanks for helping out, it should be a cracking issue.

Obviously just reply to this email with your Dream Team/question answers.

Any problems, do give us a shout!

The FourFourTwo Team
  • [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Robert[/cite]It has probably been done before, but we could suggest some names in here?

Kiely,

Rufus, Powell, Young

Mendonca, Darrent Bent,

Only ten men? That is an adventurous formation!

Its always more difficult to play against ten men... :P
  • I hope to see the legendary Cory Gibbs make an appearance.
  • Kiely

Brown. Rufus. Powell.

Robinson. Kinsella. Parker. Mortimer

Bent leaburn mendonca
  • Kiely

Young. Fish. Rufus. Powell

Jensen. Parker.Kinsella. Robinson

Bent. Mendonca

Trying to fit Kinsella, Parker and Jensen all into centre midfield is a hard task and i couldnt choose between the 3!
  • Keily
    Humprey rufus Shirtliff Powell
    Lee. Kinsella. Parker
    Walsh
    Mendonca. Hales or bent
  • Glad that someone like Mr Rudd has been given the honour.

In my Opinion the dream XI, should come from the following

Keeper: Bartram, Kiely, Bolder, Johns
    Right Back: Jock Campbell, Humphery, Bob Curtis
    Left Back: Frank Lock, Mark Reid, Chris Powell
    Centre Backs: Derek Ufton, Shirtliff, Rufus, Hewie
    Midfield: Keith Peacock, Colin Powell, Colin Walsh, Lee, Simonsen, Lawrie, Kenning, Glover, Gordon Hurst, Kiernan, Kinsella, Parker
    Forwards: Leary, Firmani, Summers, Hales, Flanagan, D Bent, Mendonca, Charlie Vaughan
  • Bartram
    Humphrey Rufus Costa Powell (C)
    Kinsella Parker Jensen
    Di Canio Bent Simonsen
    Manager - Curbs.
    Best away fans - Plymouth
    Best home fans - Sheffield Wednesday
    Best ground - Huddersfield
    Best food - Rochdale
  • [cite]Posted By: Pedro45[/cite]Di Canio Bent Simonsen

Oh yes, I like that a lot
  • Sponsored links:

• Best away fans - Brighton
    Best home fans - Southampton
    Best ground - Hillsborough
    Best food - ? certainly not Colchester (though that could apply for all of these categories)

I don't think I'm qualified enough to pick a best ever XI!
  • Best Away fans: Brighton
    Best Home fans: I thought Oldham were good fun on the last day of last season
    Best ground: Hillsborough. London Road a close second while it still has the terraces
    Best food: Walsall
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I really hope one of our many muppet fans doesn't do this!

Errrrrr............
    [cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite]Francis

Francis Francis

Muppet!!!

Im quite obviously joking *rolls eyes*
  • [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    Hi Dave,

FourFourTwo magazine here.

Feel free to consult fellow fans older and younger than yourself, and basically do all the work that we as writers can't be arsed to do ourselves. Please make sure there are no typos in your selections as i doubt we will even bother to read it.

Any problems, do give us a shout, but not too loudly as we are far too busy titting around on Twitter and playing Call of Duty Black Ops

The FourFourTwo Team
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Pedro45[/cite]Best home fans - Sheffield Wednesday

Whaaaat?

as ISAW said im not qualified enough to pick a best XI. Would certainly have Rufus, Parker, Andy Reid, Hunt, Bent & Mendonca in mine if i was forced too.
  • No shouts for Webster at CB?
  • I'm sure you'll give it a good crack Dave and fair play for stepping up to the plate.

Just be aware that any team that doesn't feature a former European Footballer of the Year in it is going to seriously detract from the rest of your choices and reflect very badly on your all 'round mental health ;-)
  • Already the fun begins.

Some observations and suggestions for how we might do this:

1) No single person is best-placed to select an all-time CAFC Dream XI, so we'll try to arrive at something that reflects the view of a reasonable majority
    2) Don't invent constraints (ie don't simply suggest players that you have seen play. Legends do not earn their title easily)
    3) The idea of a short list for manager, keeper, defenders, midfielders and strikers appeals to me. Maybe we should work on that first?
    4) AFKA - fair comments in all likelihood, but lighten up a bit, eh? This is a bit of fun. Someone is going to write FourFourTwo's bit for them, and it might as well be us. Would you rather have input or leave it to some muppet?
  • i must remember to include the :-) in future
  • [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]I'm sure you'll give it a good crack Dave and fair play for stepping up to the plate.

Just be aware that any team that doesn't feature a former European Footballer of the Year in it is going to seriously detract from the rest of your choices and reflect very badly on your all 'round mental health ;-)

I already have Simonsen pencilled in as goalkeeper.

Oh ....

:-)