Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FourFourTwo's Charlton Dream XI

12346»

Comments

• Kiely
    Young Fish Costa Fortune

Bent Bent

just needs a midfield..
  • It will have to do, how you left out Djimi Traore, JFH, Paul Sturgess, Jason Lee, Mike Small i'll never know....
  • You have to pick Smertin just for his wife to be in the magazine

drools over keyboard
  • Bartram

Bonds Rufus Welsh Powell

Parker Bailey

Di Canio. Simonsen

Bent Hales

sub - Peacock

Best Away Fans - Brighton
    Best Home Fans - Sheff Wed
    Best Away Ground -Huddersfield
    Best Food - MK Dons
  • Happy with this. Well done Dave. Glad Firmani made it in because even though it was (well) before my time didn't we sell him for a world record transfer fee or something...

I find it a bit sad that Steve Gritt did not get a mention...to me he was the Steve Brown of his era. Quite rightly neither of them made the team.

Just hope Alan Curbishley and Darren Bent aren't too disappointed when they see 442.
  • Good team. I'm looking forward to seeing what the others look like. I bet there aren't many as strong as ours though.
  • [cite]Posted By: Tutt-Tutt[/cite]Best Away Ground -Huddersfield

We went in a pub after the game (sportsman?) and got chatting with the locals
    Behind the bar was a blackboard with 'Stew & dumplings-£2' written on it
    Then the huddlesfield lads who we were drinking with explained that all the regulars are boycotting the food
    because last week it was only £1.50!
  • Well done Dave, shame about Colin Walsh
    Great work
  • CommentAuthorSix-a-bag-of-nuts CommentTime14 hours ago quote# 107
    Posted By: AshTray
    Similarly Firmani played most or all of his games for us in the second division.

Poppycock!

Years Club App (Gls)
    1950–1955 Charlton Athletic 112 (51)
    1955–1958 Sampdoria 63 (52)
    1958–1961 Internazionale 82 (48)

The above shows his record in the top-flight for Charlton and also his record in Serie A after transferring for a then British record fee.
    He returned to Charlton in 1964 by then in the second division, where in 2 separate spels he scored 38 in 65 games.
    Also capped 3 times by Italy.

My first Charlton hero - he gets my vote

I stand corrected!
  • CommentAuthorSix-a-bag-of-nuts CommentTime14 hours ago quote# 108
    Posted By: AshTray

(Best was probably the most overrated player to play football by what I've heard)

Sorry Ash, but only somebody who didn't see him play or an idiot would say that

As I fall into both categories, I stand by my statement. ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Well done Dave.

Happy with the final team , but still believe that Colin Walsh should have made the cut above Lee.

Club legend last goal at the old Valley versus first goal at the new Valley , but also in terms of balance he is a left footer.
  • Reading a copy of this now, though no mention of this site. Mentions the vital football website instead.
  • The best player left out is Stuart Leary.
    He was an outstanding player.
  • Only one problem with that team, I have never seen us play 3-4-1-2, especially with one centre back. On that basis I'm not sure it's a fair reflection of Charlton's tradition but you can't really argue that all those listed have a more than reasonable claim to a place.
  • [cite]Posted By: Starinnaddick[/cite]The best player left out is Stuart Leary.

Agreed.

Who would you have left out to accommodate Leary?
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Only one problem with that team, I have never seen us play 3-4-1-2, especially with one centre back. On that basis I'm not sure it's a fair reflection of Charlton's tradition but you can't really argue that all those listed have a more than reasonable claim to a place.

Agreed ... but we went for it because we wanted to include more forwards and midfielders. If you plough back through this thread, you'll see that the general opinion was that we have not been blessed with too many top class central defenders.
  • [cite]Posted By: Starinnaddick[/cite]The best player left out is Stuart Leary.

definitely, but you'd have to miss out on one of mendonca firmani, bent or summers
  • On the evidence Johnny Summers had a much better scoring rate for Charlton than any other of the othered favoured strikers - 0.56 goals per league match (100 in 177 matches), compared with Firmani at 0.50 (89 in 177), Mendonca at 0.47 (40 in 84), Hales at 0.46 (148 in 320), Bent at 0.46 (31 in 68), Leary at 0.40 (153 in 376) and Vaughan at 0.40 (91 in 226).
  • Rufus- is my favourite all time player - what we wouldn't give to find another one - maybe Cousins is it- I really hope so. I rememebr when Chrissy got his first call up - we were delighted for him but shocked because everybody thought it would be Rufus. He would have been very effective for England as he was at the time the best man marking defender in the Country which was sorely needed. He had pace too which gave him that get out of jail free card.
  • just quickly flicked through this ( so this is not definitive ). Always interested in how ex Addicks are featured with other clubs.

Redfearn 'thethree club' legend makes the Barnsley ,Docaster and Oldham teams . SCP is with Southend as well as us, Like wise Kinsella makes the Colchester team with Benny Fenton . Matt Elliott makes both Leicester and Oxford , Linvoy Primus Portsmouth and Barnet , Harry Cripps at Millwall , Mark Bowen Norwich , Alan Macdonald QPR , Graeme Murty Phil Parkinson and Martin Hicks Reading , John Barnes Watford ,Curbs ( surprisingly )is in the Brighton line up , Matt Holland Bournemouth , Michael Turner Brentford and Hull , Paul Benson Daggers, Izale Mcloed MK Dons , Mark Stuart Rochdale , Tommy Taylor Orient ,Garry Nelson Plymouth , Dean Kiely Bury , Jim Stannard Gillingham , Cliff Holton Northam[pton , TonyTowner and Ronnie Moore Rotherham, Ricky Otto Southend ( with SCP )
  • Sponsored links:

• Lawrie Madden at Sheff Wed? Scott Parker at West Ham? Robert Lee at Newcastle? Alan Kimble at Wimbledon? Mark Bright at Crystal Palace? Tom Hovi at Valerenga?
  • [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]just quickly flicked through this ( so this is not definitive ). Always interested in how ex Addicks are featured with other clubs.

Redfearn 'thethree club' legend makes the Barnsley ,Docaster and Oldham teams . SCP is with Southend as well as us, Like wise Kinsella makes the Colchester team with Benny Fenton . Matt Elliott makes both Leicester and Oxford , Linvoy Primus Portsmouth and Barnet , Harry Cripps at Millwall , Mark Bowen Norwich , Alan Macdonald QPR , Graeme Murty Phil Parkinson and Martin Hicks Reading , John Barnes Watford ,Curbs ( surprisingly )is in the Brighton line up , Matt Holland Bournemouth , Michael Turner Brentford and Hull , Paul Benson Daggers, Izale Mcloed MK Dons , Mark Stuart Rochdale , Tommy Taylor Orient ,Garry Nelson Plymouth , Dean Kiely Bury , Jim Stannard Gillingham , Cliff Holton Northam[pton , TonyTowner and Ronnie Moore Rotherham, Ricky Otto Southend ( with SCP )

Good work Richard. I took one look at the £4+ asking price and thought they were taking the piss for something that's been cobbled together by fans on the internet.
  • I'm only 19 so this is based on what i have seen...

Kiely

Young Rufus Costa Powell

Di Canio Parker Jensen Robinson

Mendonca Bent

Subs: Carson, Kishishev, Fish, Kinsella, Mortimer, Murphy, Hunt
  • edited March 2011
    Just caught up with this.

Three at the back?

Fcuk me - when have you EVER seen us play three at the back?
  • edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Just caught up with this.

Three at the back?

Fcuk me - when have you EVER seen us play three at the back?

Err ... whenever Rufus and Firmani played together in the same team?