Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FourFourTwo's Charlton Dream XI

Comments

• Poll for the right back position:

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=39581
  • [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]Dave,

They said you could choose a realistic formation. I reckon you should go with 3 at the back - there isn't a stand out second centre back and the omission of a Webster/Shirtliff/Costa will create space for an extra Firmani/Peacock/Kinsella. Humphrey at right back I reckon.

I like that thinking. The midfield is likely to be a lot more difficult to resolve, so creating an extra space makes huge sense to me.

Three at the back it is, with John Humphrey looking like the people's choice so far to join Rufus and Powell.
  • On to the next phase ...

Four midfield places up for grabs now, and that could include a deep-lying centre forward of the Stuart Leary, Eddie Firmani, Don Welsh variety.

We have Simonsen, but we need to select now from the following:

Robinson (John), Kinsella, Parker, Jensen, Leary, Firmani, Welsh, Mortimer, Lee, Bailey (Mike), Peacock, Glover and Walsh (Colin)

Again, is there anyone who has been overlooked? Also, think about balance. There are not many out-and-out wingers there, but we are looking more at a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 formation.

Jimmy Seed would turn in his grave.
  • [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    Four midfield places up for grabs now, and that could include a deep-lying centre forward of the Stuart Leary, Eddie Firmani, Don Welsh variety.

Robinson (John), Kinsella, Parker, Jensen, Leary, Firmani, Welsh, Mortimer, Lee, Bailey (Mike), Peacock, Glover and Walsh (Colin)

Before my era, but should Paddy Powell be worth including ?
  • Paul walsh worth a shout?
  • "PAUL WALSH"

just for you scabby :-)
  • Thanks! Always thought he was a terrific player , local boy too , woolwich polytecnic
  • Don't want to put a spanner in the works but if we are going 3 at the back surely a versatile player like Hewie should be selected plus his 6 foot plus height would be useful.

Shall we scrap the Johnny H poll?

:-)
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]

Great player but if, as seems likely from earlier selections , Simonsen gets the wide right midfield slot I can't see where he would fit in.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Don't want to put a spanner in the works but if we are going 3 at the back surely a versatile player like Hewie should be selected plus his 6 foot plus height would be useful.

Don't know about you, Len, but I was never that impressed with John Hewie. Yes, he was versatile, and yes he was tall but, even as a kid, I could see that he was a bit limited. His distribution was poor and he was a bit ungainly and often got turned by quick wingers.

I think his reputation was enhanced by the fact that he could play anywhere and was also good at baseball and golf, but I don't think that he was a top class player in the sense that Leary and Firmani were.

Of course, if Derek Ufton posts on here and wants to put me right, then fair enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

Great player but if, as seems likely from earlier selections , Simonsen gets the wide right midfield slot I can't see where he would fit in.

Simonsen could also play wide left. Powell instead of Len Glover, Len?

[cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Don't want to put a spanner in the works but if we are going 3 at the back surely a versatile player like Hewie should be selected plus his 6 foot plus height would be useful.

Don't know about you, Len, but I was never that impressed with John Hewie. Yes, he was versatile, and yes he was tall but, even as a kid, I could see that he was a bit limited. His distribution was poor and he was a bit ungainly and often got turned by quick wingers.

I think his reputation was enhanced by the fact that he could play anywhere and was also good at baseball and golf, but I don't think that he was a top class player in the sense that Leary and Firmani were.

Of course, if Derek Ufton posts on here and wants to put me right, then fair enough.

I started going in early 1963 so Hewie was well into his thirties by then and probably past his best so I can appreciate what you say but even so, at an early age, I saw enough glimpses to realise that he once was a very good player and I had two grandparents in those very early days who reinforced that opinion!
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

Simonsen could also play wide left. Powell instead of Len Glover, Len?

You know the answer to that!

• Robert Lee, Mark Kinsella, Colin Walsh & Keefy Peacock from me
  • Sorry Dave, another curve ball....I've just voted Bob Curtis as RB on the other thread, but if going for a back 3.....then Bob moved into the midfield in his playing career and could pick out a defence splitting pass, score great pens and was a great tackler.....another great midfielder imho.
  • It was hard enough choosing a RB, but this is even worse!

Lee, Kins, Parker, Simonsen, Peacock, Walsh, Jensen....and what about throwing Bowyer into the mix... he was a truly amazing young player before he buggered off to Yawkshire....

*ducks for cover*
  • In my lifetime the best Charlton team I have seen i...in a 4-4-2 of course...

[align=center]Kiely

Young Rufus Jorge Costa Powell

Robinson Parker Kinsella Jensen

Mendonca Bent[/align]

Really tough call but Di Canio just misses out...as do Amdy Faye, Omar Pouso and Djimi Traore.

Best away fans - Brigthon - although they had reason to be!
    Best home fans - Spurs ;-) Wednesday.
    Best ground - Always Hillsborough
    Best food - Spurs
  • ...and I totally forgot Johnny Robinson!
  • Graham Stuart and Paul Mortimer both deserve to be candidates for the midfield slots at least in my opinion.
  • What about Kish?
  • Sponsored links:

• He may not be good enough for the team but i think Johnny Summers at least deserves a mention, he scored more goals for us than i thought, and will go down in our history for scoring 5 goals in the historic 7-6 win against Huddersfield when we were down to ten men 5-1 down and only twenty minutes left.
  • Simonsen, Parker, Bowyer, Robinson (John)

Aaaargh ... this is tough ... how can I leave out Kinsella, Firmani, Mortimer ... but will stick with above
  • OK, building on the earlier theme of 'best players' - and recognising how difficult the midfield choice is - I've placed emphasis now on International pedigree and consistent performance at the highest level. For me that has to be a reasonable test of whether a player is good or not. We don't have too many defenders and forwards in that category, so I'm happy that our earlier selections were based more on legend status or those who have given us golden moments or seasons.

On that basis, and remembering that Simonsen has already made the cut I suggest the following for the midfield:

Lee, Kinsella, Parker, Simonsen with Firmani getting the nod just ahead of Stuart Leary for the deep-lying centre forward role.

That gives us the following line-up:

Manager: Jimmy Seed

Bartram

Humphrey Rufus Powell

Lee Kinsella Parker Simonsen

Firmani

Mendonca Hales

Sub: Peacock (OK, I know we're not allowed subs, but if anyone can swing it, it's the Club with the first ever sub)

I appreciate that some of your personal favourites may not be there (I'm in the same boat), but hopefully you can agree that we have a pretty impressive line-up. There will always be differences of opinion on one or two players or positions, but for those who are not perfectly happy I ask this .....

Can you live with it?
  • Can you live with it?

Yes ... I think ... maybe ... oh alright then ;-)
  • I can live with it, my only slight dispute and i'm with you here Dave would be Brownie for Johnnie H.

Tough call, JH technically the better player but Brownie epitimises (excuse spelling if wrong) the " Charlton type" player, of recent years.
  • It's a tough thing to do.

4 or 5 names appeared in most selections but then it became a whole lot harder. For me perming two or three from Mendonca, Hales, Bent D and Firmani was always going to be difficult and a close run thing so I can certainly live with the 3 selected.

Robert Lee (effectively) for Len Glover is the only slightly contentious one for me but then Len was my boyhood hero so I would say that!

Well done Dave!
  • I'd have Peacock over Lee. Consistent performance at the highest level? Maybe, but not for us.
  • [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]I'd have Peacock over Lee. Consistent performance at the highest level? Maybe, but not for us.

I've already said I didn't want him but in fairness he did play 4 seasons in the top tier at Shitehurst for us...
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah, but he only really hit his prime once he went to Newcastle, and if we're allowing players who had their best spells for other clubs then we're back into the debate about Barnes and Di Canio again. Ok, so he was more consistent than the mercurial Mark Stuart, but that didn't really take much. :-)