Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FourFourTwo's Charlton Dream XI

Comments

• The difficulty is always the balance between what you have witnessed, and what you have read and been told from eras before. ie Kiely and Bartram.

Perhaps if there are any contentious ones such as the above we can do specified polls for those positions ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]I'm sure you'll give it a good crack Dave and fair play for stepping up to the plate.

Just be aware that any team thatdoesn'tfeature a former European Footballer of the Year in it is going to seriously detract from the rest of your choices and reflect very badly on your all 'round mental health ;-)

I already have Simonsen pencilled in as goalkeeper.
    Oh ....

:-)

Bit short maybe Dave but as for his distribution....
  • There's always a tendency with these things for people to pick more recent players - I'm confident that Dave, with help from others on here, will present a more balanced view for Charlton. Personally, I don't feel qualified to comment as I have the memory of a goldfish.
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]The difficulty is always the balance between what you have witnessed, and what you have read and been told from eras before. ie Kiely and Bartram.

Perhaps if there are any contentious ones such as the above we can do specified polls for those positions ?

Good suggestion - thanks.

We've probably got the same issue with Seed and Curbishley.

Dean Bartram and Alan Seed anybody?
  • Using a mix of what I've watched (35 years old, been watching for 28 years), and my dads much older opinion(!), my best shot would be;

GK Bartram - Club legend, simple as. Widely regarded as best uncapped goalie ever?
    RB John Humphreys - never stopped running, epitomised attitude of the club back in the eighties
    LB Sir Chris Powell - no need to justify!
    CB Jorge Costa - Fantastic spell on loan, solid as a rock and a class act.
    CB Richard Rufus - best defender I've ever seen at club, tragically cut short in his prime. Could make a mistake and still get back to recover he was so quick.
    RM Allan Simonsen - European footballer of the year, Dad says he was a class apart, in fact so good he was never on anyone elses wavelength!
    CM Scott Parker - Home grown, ball winner, the team seem to step up a gear when he played. Did leave under a bit of a cloud, but a real 100% player.
    CM Keith Peacock - Again, needs no reason!
    LW Paul Mortimer - Apologies for my bias, but I just loved him. Yes, his head could go down and he could have a stinker, but scored some amazing goals (Norwich, Bradford, Man City, Chelsea) and was my favourite player when I was younger. In fact he still is!!
    ST Clive Mendonca - Just beats Darren Bent because of the play off final and the fact he scored his goals with less creative players in the team.
    ST Derek Hales - my dad says he often did naff all for 89 minutes, but would still score a goal. Top scorer in our history, so a gimme?

What do you think?
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Pedro45[/cite]Di Canio Bent Simonsen

Oh yes, I like that a lot
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerwasgod[/cite]Using a mix of what I've watched (35 years old, been watching for 28 years), and my dads much older opinion(!), my best shot would be;

GK Bartram - Club legend, simple as. Widely regarded as best uncapped goalie ever?
    RB John Humphreys - never stopped running, epitomised attitude of the club back in the eighties
    CB Richard Rufus - best defender I've ever seen at club, tragically cut short in his prime. Could make a mistake and still get back to recover he was so quick.
    RM Allan Simonsen - European footballer of the year, Dad says he was a class apart, in fact so good he was never on anyone elses wavelength!
    CM Scott Parker - Home grown, ball winner, the team seem to step up a gear when he played. Did leave under a bit of a cloud, but a real 100% player.
    LW Paul Mortimer - Apologies for my bias, but I just loved him. Yes, his head could go down and he could have a stinker, but scored some amazing goals (Norwich, Bradford, Man City, Chelsea) and was my favourite player when I was younger. In fact he still is!!
    ST Clive Mendonca - Just beats Darren Bent because of the play off final and the fact he scored his goals with less creative players in the team.
    ST Derek Hales - my dad says he often did naff all for 89 minutes, but would still score a goal. Top scorer in our history, so a gimme?

What do you think?

I'd go for most of them however Stuart Leary deserves a mention. Absolutely prolific for a number of years for us.

And realistically there should be more of the FA Cup winning team in there seeing as they're the most successful CAFC players ever
  • [cite]Posted By: Mortimerwasgod[/cite]Using a mix of what I've watched (35 years old, been watching for 28 years), and my dads much older opinion(!), my best shot would be;

What do you think?

It's good, but no Stuart Leary, no Eddie Firmani, no Paulo di Canio, no Steve Brown.

I don't envy me.
  • Good luck, I'm sure you'll get the balance right, otherwise, RUDD OUT! ;-)
  • Dave, first of all thanks for involving everyone. Very good of you. For me there are loads of players that we could pick, but five walk straight into this team. I just can’t imagine leaving anyone of these guys out.

Bartram – For sheer number of games played and for being there at the time when Charlton were riding highest. I think he was also unlucky that his career sandwiched WWII. Imagine how many appearances he’d have made if that hadn’t got in the way. It’s also likely that he’d have won full caps for England but for Adolf.

Powell – For being a consummate professional Constantly improving his game and getting to the point where he really confounded his critics in those England displays. For being the most popular man in the World ever – apart from how we feel about him, just try finding a Southend, Derby, West Ham or Leicester fan who will say a word against him. Also for bringing a spirit of fun and Joie de vivre to football, as epitomized by his tunnel jumps.

Rufus – The best centre back I’ve seen play for us and surely one of the best to never get capped. It’s a tragedy his career was cut short. Think how many times we chanted The Roof Is On Fire – that is for a very good reason. He always seemed to be on top form. And for that special moment – the Wembley goal.

Simonsen – Just how skillful was he? Sadly too skillful for us – it was never going to last. But the sheer audacity in even asking him to come let along convincing him, says to me something about Charlton as a club. What was that statistic about the tv audience for the (Newcastle?) game. Everyman, woman and boy in Denmark was a Charlton fan and quite right too.

Mendonca – For the hat-trick. Certainly the finest at Wembley if not anywhere. Whatever else he did or could do, that game alone is enough to seal it for me. Plus it’s a good reason to have a photo of him doing the pistol shooting pose.
  • [cite]Posted By: Mortimerwasgod[/cite]Good luck, I'm sure you'll get the balance right, otherwise, RUDD OUT! ;-)

Yeah I'm with this view - never mind all this consensus, poll based, keep everyone happy, selection method. It'll be much more fun to let Dave chose his own XI....then we can all jump all over it like a bunch of tramps on a bottle of Thunderbird. Everybody wins. Except Dave.
  • Sponsored links:

• Who are the best away fans in your division? Brighton

Who are the best home fans in your division? Yeovil? No one outstanding really.

Which ground is the best to visit in your division, taking into account facilities inside and nearby ground, atmosphere, helpfulness of the stewards, view of the pitch?
    Griffin Park or Hillsborough for me

Which ground serves the best pie/butty/food? All tastes the same and costs far more than it's worth.
  • My team would be a mix of the players from our time in the premiership so I'll let the older fans choose the team.

Best away fans - Brighton
    Best home fans - Southampton
    Best ground - Sheff Wed
    Best food - ???

Biggest Wankers: MK Dons
  • Im stunned by the suggestions that include Parker, but leave out Kinsella.
  • [cite]Posted By: Se12Addick[/cite]Im stunned by the suggestions that include Parker, but leave out Kinsella.
    Parker is a better player?
  • Parker more naturally gifted no doubt but Kinsella is the club legend

It's classic head or heart isn't it?
  • You can't have a Charlton dream team without Bartram in goal, what's wrong with everyone!

My team would be:

Sam Bartram
    John Humphrey, Jorge Costa, Richard Rufus, Chris Powell
    Colin Powell, Scott Parker, Allan Simonsen, Colin Walsh
    Stuart Leary, Derek Hales.

Modern players like Mark Kinsella, Clive Mendonca and Darren Bent missing out. Whilst Kinsella's a legend I couldn't put him in ahead of Simonsen or Parker in terms of ability, and Hales and Leary are our two all time greatest goalscorers.

Do we get subs?
  • Bartram (to please my mum)
    Humphrey Elliott Rufus Powell
    Lee Parker Bailey C. Walsh
    Leary Hales

Hmm. No room for Bonds, Glover, Kiely, Kinsella, Mendonca, Hunt... etc.
  • I don't think for an all time eleven you can include loan players. Any play can have a decent couple of months or a season but i think with a permant players you can judge them over a longer period.

Sorry don't mean to make things harder but definitely don't think you can have loan players.
  • [cite]Posted By: ChrisWhytesBaldhead[/cite]I don't think for an all time eleven you can include loan players. Any play can have a decent couple of months or a season but i think with a permant players you can judge them over a longer period.

Sorry don't mean to make things harder but definitely don't think you can have loan players.
    no Scott houghton then? Dam you ;-)
  • Best away fans - Brighton
    Best home fans - Southampton
    Best ground - Brentford (can't beat a ground with pubs on all four corners)
    Best food - No idea
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerwasgod[/cite]Good luck, I'm sure you'll get the balance right, otherwise, RUDD OUT! ;-)

Yeah I'm with this view - never mind all this consensus, poll based, keep everyone happy, selection method. It'll be much more fun to let Dave chose his own XI....then we can all jump all over it like a bunch of tramps on a bottle of Thunderbird. Everybody wins. Except Dave.

Just had a vote of confidence from the FourFourTwo board. Apparently I will be "judged on results" and that "money is obviously tight, but a Dream Team (even one which features deceased players) which gains promotion, unites all supporters and cuts out all bar-room discussion on the matter is imperative."
  • Good move from 442 as I was about to cancel my subscription - it's been so bloody samey lately.
  • edited February 2011
    [align=center]Keily
    Young Rufus Costa Powell
    Robinson Kinsella. Parker
    DiCanio
    Mendonca Bent[/align]
  • Bartram (not seen by me - otherwise Wright)
    Bonds Rufus Hinton/Costa Powell
    Lee Bailey Parker Kinsella
    Firmani Mendonca

Costa was a loan player - Marv Hinton if loanee's don't count
  • GK Carson or Kiely
    RB Humphrey
    LB Powell
    CB Costa
    CB Rufus
    RM Simonsen
    CM Bowyer
    CM Parker
    LM Colin Walsh
    ST Bent
    ST Di Canio
  • Can't believe people are picking Costa when only on loan and leave out Simon Webster
  • Goalkeeper has got to be Bartram. I never saw him play but there's just no point even debating it, surely?

Right back for me is John Humphrey and left back Chrissy Powell.

At Centre Half Shirtliff (for the St Andrew's game alone) and Rufus have got to be good shouts, but I'm sure there will be candidates from further back too.

Midfield, I'd love to see Colin Walsh in there and I don't think you can overlook Simonsen, even though his stay was brief. Also Keefy P - loads of games, loads of goals, one club man, local fella, all round nice bloke.

Up front is tough - Mendonca, Hales, Firmani, Leary, Summers, Bent, Mike Small - take your pick!

And what about Don Welsh? He captained the cup winning side so surely can't be overlooked.
  • edited February 2011
    Do you need to have seen Bartram to know he's a shoe-in for the number 1 shirt?
    Also Simonsen and Firmani for the level they played at.
    Other than that you could pick a different 11 for every day of the week!

Here's mine for today:-

Bartram
    Humphrey Costa Rufus Hewie
    Simonsen Bailey(Mike) Parker DiCanio
    Firmani Bent
  • I'd personally love to see John Robinson in there as he is one of my favourite players of the last 17 or so years that I've been watching Charlton. Don't think he'll get in as there are probably much more talented players to put in there, but for passion alone he's got to come close. He used to be close to tears if he won a penno. Also for the same reason Kishishev... although don't put him in, there will be a Charlton civil war if you did...
  • edited February 2011
    Of the players ive seen:
    Kiely
    Brown
    Rufus
    Webster
    Powell
    Robinson
    Parker
    Kinsella
    Lee
    Mendonca