Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FourFourTwo's Charlton Dream XI

Comments

• Bartram
    Humphrey Rufus Webster Powell
    Peacock Welsh Mortimer
    Firmani Leaburn Mendonca
  • Kiely
    Humphrey-Rufus-Balmer-Reid
    Kishishev-Jones(K)-Kinsella-Powell(C)
    Mendonca-Hales

(Tho' it'll probably change in 10 minutes....)
  • [cite]Posted By: fatrob[/cite]Can't believe people are picking Costa when only on loan and leave out Simon Webster

Not to mention that he took half a season to get fit, had the turning circle of London Taxi, average distribution, no pace whatsoever and we got relegated during his stay. Don't get me wrong I think he was a very good organiser/leader/stopper but I'm always amazed how often his name crops up in the Charlton greats debates. Rufus, Shirtliff, Webster, Caton, Pates and probably a dozen others would be in my team in front of Costa in that position.

I don't envy Dave.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: fatrob[/cite]Can't believe people are picking Costa when only on loan and leave out Simon Webster

Not to mention that he took half a season to get fit, had the turning circle of London Taxi, average distribution, no pace whatsoever and we got relegated during his stay.
    Eh? Certainly didn't get relegated - and of course he went on to win the Champions League as captain of Porto.
    You sure you're not thinking of Mark Fish?
  • I'm 29 and have been regualrly attending games since I was 8; I would say the following have to be included:

Bartram: for obvious reasons - we've got a statue of him ffs.
    Rufus: best defender to never be capped and a one club man. If I wasn't a man, I'd offer to have his babies.
    Kinsella: driving force and leader of the team which went from First Division relegation battlers to challengers for European qualification in the Premier League. His signing started us out on the road to the second golden age which was sealed on that summers day at Wembley.
    Simonsen: how many other former European Player of the Year have played for us and it wasn't even like he was ageing and past it.
    Parker: probably our best ever youth product and the best player during our second golden age. Try to look beyond the unhappy ending and remember why you were so pissed off he was leaving.
    Mendonca: if we'd never signed Mendonca we may very well have never made the Premiership, we might still have a temporary west stand, never seen Di Canio or Jorge Costa, lost Parker long before he inspired us to take Chelsea apart on Boxing Day. Has a single player ever put in a better single performance for us, especially on such a big stage and with such far reaching effects?

Personally I think those names should be shoe-ins and it's the other 5 places that are up for grabs and debate.

If I was choosing the rest would be:

Humphrey - good player and servant during the toughest of all our tough times
    Hewie - I gather he could play anywhere so I've stuck him at Centre Back. A star man during our first Golden Age and another who amassed a huge number of appearances.
    Powell - just for all the times he made us smile and for that moment when I was in the car and heard in the radio he was in the England squad and then the pride of seeing him mark £20m + Mendieta out of the game and prove all the scoffing Tim Lovejoy types totally and utterly wrong. That moment epitomised what made us great during that period.
    Peacock: Possibly the loyalest club servant of them all. Never saw him play, but I gather he weren't bad and our leading our field appearance maker.
    Then a toss up between Firmani or Hales. Never saw either play but both were star men at their time - Hales is the record goalscorer, Firmani was once upon a time the most expensive player to be bought or sold by a British side so he must have been pretty special. I guess Hales probably gets it for length of service to Charlton.

Manager: Curbs because of how far we came while he was in charge, but I guess the same argument can be made for Seed.

My team would therefore be

GK: Bartram
    RB: Humphrey
    CB: Rufus
    CB: Hewie
    LB: Powell
    RW: Simonsen
    CM: Kinsella
    CM: Parker
    LW: Peacock
    CF: Hales
    CF: Mendonca

Manager: Curbs
  • Sorry, really can't understand Costa or Di Canio. Both on the way down in their careers when with us, Costa only played 24 games, Di Canio 31, yet both gain entry to most people's dream team? Costa looked over weight, slow and made lots of cynical stereotypical European defender type "tackles", Di Canio was never the player he was at West Ham, under the same rationale, we should have John Barnes in there. Simonsen is a real toughie, only 16 games, but different class, even I could tell that and I was only 9 years old when he played for us. Can we have subs?
  • Anyone selecting Di Canio is smoking crack. Really didn't do much IMO

Great player but not in our colours
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: stig[/cite]Dave, first of all thanks for involving everyone. Very good of you. For me there are loads of players that we could pick, but five walk straight into this team. I just can’t imagine leaving anyone of these guys out.

Bartram – For sheer number of games played and for being there at the time when Charlton were riding highest. I think he was also unlucky that his career sandwiched WWII. Imagine how many appearances he’d have made if that hadn’t got in the way. It’s also likely that he’d have won full caps for England but for Adolf.

Powell – For being a consummate professional Constantly improving his game and getting to the point where he really confounded his critics in those England displays. For being the most popular man in the World ever – apart from how we feel about him, just try finding a Southend, Derby, West Ham or Leicester fan who will say a word against him. Also for bringing a spirit of fun and Joie de vivre to football, as epitomized by his tunnel jumps.

Rufus – The best centre back I’ve seen play for us and surely one of the best to never get capped. It’s a tragedy his career was cut short. Think how many times we chanted The Roof Is On Fire – that is for a very good reason. He always seemed to be on top form. And for that special moment – the Wembley goal.

Simonsen – Just how skillful was he? Sadly too skillful for us – it was never going to last. But the sheer audacity in even asking him to come let along convincing him, says to me something about Charlton as a club. What was that statistic about the tv audience for the (Newcastle?) game. Everyman, woman and boy in Denmark was a Charlton fan and quite right too.

Mendonca – For the hat-trick. Certainly the finest at Wembley if not anywhere. Whatever else he did or could do, that game alone is enough to seal it for me. Plus it’s a good reason to have a photo of him doing the pistol shooting pose.

these look like shoe ins to me,bit of an embarrassment of riches to partner mendonca up front with any from firmani,hunt, bent, leary and summers.i'd probably go with summers though with a great goal ratio and the huddersfield 7-6

bartram
    humphrey
    rufus
    hewie
    powell
    stuart
    lee
    parker
    simonsen
    mendonca
    summers
  • I put Di Canio based on what he did at the Valley not Wham.

He was IMHO one of the main reasons we finished 7th in 03/04 . Although he did not score many he did have the second most assists in the Prem that season.

Likewise with Costa he is a class above the likes of Webster and with a Rufus was a good combo at the highest level.
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]I put Di Canio based on what he did at the Valley not Wham.

He was IMHO one of the main reasons we finished 7th in 03/04 . Although he did not score many he did have the second most assists in the Prem that season.

Likewise with Costa he is a class above the likes of Webster and with a Rufus was a good combo at the highest level.

This.

Edit: - Incidentally the most successful season I've witnessed in 49 years following Charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: fatrob[/cite]Can't believe people are picking Costa when only on loan and leave out Simon Webster

Not to mention that he took half a season to get fit, had the turning circle of London Taxi, average distribution, no pace whatsoever andwe got relegated during his stay.
    Eh? Certainly didn't get relegated - and of course he went on to win the Champions League as captain of Porto.
    You sure you're not thinking of Mark Fish?

You're quite right of course, why did I have it in my head he played in our first season up there?

Fish is another player I'd have un front of Jorge btw ;-)
  • Why has nobody mentioned Herman Heridason?
  • To not have bartram in goal would be like bolton not having lofthouse in their team.

Never saw the bloke play but the statue outside the ground says it all. He was a giant part of our history and you can't put a price on that.

Don Welsh also has to be in it as captain of our fa cup team this has to be considered.

How you pick between jimmy seed and curbs I don't know either.

The teams must contain people that were not only great players for our club but contributed to success,

Bartram

Peacock

Welsh

Mendonca

Rufus

Are the only 5 I will pick the rest I can not choose from
  • Just as a bit of fun:

Maybe the best way to pick it, is to name the players in each position who have won the most caps. In which case it might look something like this:

Kiely

Young Costa Dailly Powell

Johansson Bagheri Kinsella Blomqvist

Jepsen Barnes
  • edited February 2011
    Kiely
    Young Rufus Brown Powell
    Jensen Kinsella Parker Robinson
    Mendonca Hunt

Obviously these are the players I have been lucky enough to see for us, but as a more objective team based on what has been written above:

Bartram
    Humphrey Rufus Brown Powell
    Simonsen Parker Kinsella Walsh
    Mendonca Hales

Best Away Fans: Brighton
    Best Home Fans: Exeter
    Best Ground: Brentford is my fave L1 away ground I think. Although liked Carlisle aswell.
    Best Food: Good hot dog at Brentford, pity we have not played Rochdale- heard they do good pies.
  • If we really can't decide on the manager between Seed and Curbs then, until a couple of weeks ago, Lennie Lawrence might have been a good compromise, seeing as the club might not be here if it had not been for him.....probably ruined that by joining Palarse
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]
    Best Ground: Brentford is my fave L1 away ground I think.
    It's a long time since I've been there. Is there still a pub on every corner? If so it gets my vote.
  • edited February 2011
    To me the must haves would be:

Bartram
    John Humphrey
    Chris Powell
    Richard Rufus
    Allan Simonsen
    Keith Peacock
    Clive Mendonca
    Derek Hales
    Robert Lee
    Steve Gritt

All are heros for one reason or another and real legends of the club.

As for the other questions, I couldn't care less so let's go:

Best Ground: Selhurst (for its comfort)
    Best Home Fans: Millwall (for their class)
    Best Away Fans: Wigan (for their sheer numbers)
    Best Food: I will always remember going to Norwich, the home of Delia and buying a meal deal - which was a can of coke, chocolate bar & pack of crisps (not even a sandwich!!)

Def No's have to be Di Canio - on his way down when he was with us, his part seems to have been greatly over exagerated imo, Costa-excellent but we have more stalwart legends in his position, Parker - great player but let the club down badly when he left to ever be a hero.
  • Will leave the team to others as I'm only 21...

Best Away Fans: Exeter (no-one stands out now Leeds are gone but they win for the Ciddddddeeeeeeeerrrrrrr chant)

Best Home Fans: Shef Wednesday (always large number, even though put up with rubbish. Plenty of mugs though)

Best Ground: Would agree with cafcdan18 on Brentford (for the pubs in each corner, which are still there and makes for some interesting pre-match entertainment) and carlisle (no better place to get a win, though probably more due to the distance than the awful standard of ground.)

Best Food: My pasty at Bristol Rovers last season was pretty good.

• Kiely
    Sorry nla but i didn't se Bartram play

Rufus

Bonds
    Daily
    Young
    Powell

Parker---Bowyer

Shelvey

Dicanio

Hales
  • Sponsored links:

• Uncle's having a laugh with that line up.

I'm surprised he never went with

Ilic

Bonds
    Dailly
    Webster
    Konchesky

Parker
    Robson
    Holmes
    Bowyer

Cole
    Di Canio

(Spot the link?)
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Uncle's having a laugh with that line up.

Ilic

Bonds
    Dailly
    Webster
    Konchesky

Parker
    Robson
    Holmes
    Bowyer

Cole
    Di Canio

(Spot the link?)

All of them have played 1st Division/PL football and are no longer with the club?

;-)
  • well i have listed loads but cant begin to make than 11 out this lot!!
    KEEPERS:bob bolder,nicky johns,deano,bartram,mike salmon
    RB:john humpery,darren pitcher,steve brown
    LB:scotty minto,mark reid,chrissy powell,steve gatting,phil warman
    CB:simon webster,richard rufus,peter shirtliff,colin pates,joe mclaughlin,tommy caton(RIP)
    MIDFIELD:mark kinsella,steve mackenkie,scotty parker,lee bowyer,mark aizlewood,stevie gritt,keith jones,claus jensen,
    RW:robert lee(my favourite all time player)david campbell(iliked him!!)simonsen,shaun newton(i havent seen anyone put him yet)
    LW:keith peacock,colin walsh,paul mortimer,jonny robinson(could play both wings)mark stuart
    STRIKERS:darren bent,clive mendonca,ray treacy(my dad still keep telling me about his powerful downward headers),jimmy melrose,hales,stuart leary,andy hunt,garry nelson,paul williams,eddie firmani,carl leaburn,

HELP ME!!!!!!!!
  • edited February 2011
    I realise that lots of people have picked teams from players they have seen, and that is quite understandable. But I think in the goalkeeping stakes we really need to go for the true legend Sam Bartram even though few, if any, of us have actually seen him play.

There can be no doubts that Deano is a great keeper. Probably the best we've seen in the modern age. But by comparing the records of Kiely and Bartram, I think there can only be one winner.

Deano played in two different decades, playing 222 league games for Charlton. He kept 67 clean sheets and helped us to win 87 matches. In this time he conceded 287 goals. Deano was 'ever present' for two seasons.

Sam played in three different decades, playing 579 league games for us. He kept 138 clean sheets and helped us to win 242 matches. In that time he conceded 882 goals. Sam was 'ever present' for five seasons.

Now, you could be forgiven for looking at the goals conceded and thinking that Deano was better than Sam. After all, on average he let in just 1.29 goals per game compared to Sam's 1.52 goals per game. However you need to consider that the game has changed a bit and that whilst the average goals conceded for all keepers in the leagues/years that Deano played in was 1.34 whereas in Sam's day it was 1.59. So both did marginally better that the other keepers in their respective divisions.

Kiely was a part of the side that won promotion from the First Division to the Premiership and stayed there with some very reasonable finishes including our best post war 7th place. Bartram was part of the side that won two consecutive promotions from Div 3 and Div 2 to get us into the top flight. He remained first choice keeper whilst we achieved our best ever league position, 2nd place, and when we followed it up with 4th and 3rd place finishes in the following years.

Sam was our keeper for our only ever FA cup victory. In this match he demonstrated his quick wits, by throwing a flat ball out for a throw in rather than conceding a drop ball on his goal line. He also played in the side that were runners up the year before. His official record does not include the 84 wartime games he played for us. Though it is quite feasible that without the war he could have played another 250 games for the Addicks.

Sam played in the side that won Charlton's biggest ever victory, 8-1 over Middlesborough. He was also in the side that had our biggest ever cup win, 7-0 over Burton. He has played more league games and more cup games than any other Charlton player. He is also the oldest player to have played for Charlton. To my knowledge he is the only player to have a road named after him and is certainly the only one with his statue outside the main stand.

Ladies and gentlemen, Deano is good. Very good. But there can only be one goalkeeper and that goalkeeper is Mr Samuel Bartram.
  • For what it's worth, here's my two penneth....

As a dream team, surely it's about quality and not legend status? This is based on what I've seen on and off over the past 30 years and a bit of assumption:

Bartram

Humphrey
    Powell
    Rufus
    Costa

Lee
    Simonsen
    Parker
    Welsh

Di Canio
    Bent

Old players weren't as good as today's players because they smoked and ate bad food, so I've only included two and Welsh comes in because we haven't had a decent left winger in my lifetime. Goalkeepers are about the same now as they always have been.

People opting for players like Mendonca, Brown and Kinsella are wrong. They are legends maybe, but who is better DiCanio or Hales? Parker or Kinsella? As for Peacock, never played top flight for us and never capped. Similarly Firmani played most or all of his games for us in the second division.

Manager, I would have to say Seed given the remarkable succession of promotions and then cup final wins he led us to. More than Curbishley did.
  • GK: Sam Bartram
    RB: John Humphrey
    CB: Richard Rufus
    CB: Simon Webster
    LB: Sir Chris Powell
    RW: Allan Simonsen
    CM: Mark Kinsella
    CM: Robert Lee
    LW:Colin Walsh
    ST: Derek Hales
    ST: Clive Mendonca

Manager: Alan Curbishley
  • Best away fans - Brighton
    Best home fans - Southampton
    Best ground - Huddersfield
    Best food - Norwich (Delia's Pies)
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Old players weren't as good as today's players because they smoked and ate bad food, so I've only included two and Welsh comes in because we haven't had a decent left winger in my lifetime. Goalkeepers are about the same now as they always have been.

Good point. Lucky that George Best and Johann Cruyff and Socrates didn't play for Charlton - all far too unhealthy to be included in any meaningful dream team.
  • edited February 2011
    Uncle's having a laugh with that line up.

Ilic

Bonds
    Dailly
    Webster
    Konchesky

Parker
    Robson
    Holmes
    Bowyer

Cole
    Di Canio

Using the same principle Uncle could have gone with this team , almost all of them have appeared in someone else's team and it is actually quite a good line up

Illic

Bonds Webster Dailly Powell

Lee Bowyer Parker Konchesky

Di Canio Hales
  • Right .... time for the first draft.

Based on the debate so far (thanks for all the e-mails, texts etc .... phone lines are still open and calls are charged at £1/sec, but please ask the account holder before you call) I'm going to offer the following seven names as a starting point. They reflect a large number of the views expressed here and elsewhere and fit with one or two of my own preferences for the reasons given.

Bartram in goal. Kiely is unlucky to miss out, but Bartram has a statue and a bar and over 600 appearances, including FA Cup Finals.

Rufus and Powell in defence. No explanations needed really. Marvellous players, perfect gentlemen and great examples of what Charlton is all about.

Simonsen in midfield. True, true class. It was an honour to have such a player wearing our shirt, even if it was only for a short while. Did we dream it?

Mendonca and Hales up front. Sir Clive for making dreams come true and record goalscorer 'Killer', my boyhood hero ... a pirate of a footballer.

Jimmy Seed as Manager. A tough call but, however well Curbishley did, how can that emulate Seed's three consecutive promotions, a runner-up spot in the old First Division and an FA Cup? He also had a top haircut and referred to us as 'Charleton'.

I've tried to reflect more than just the recent decades, but Don Welsh may not get in now that Bartram and Seed are included. Equally not many of us will have seen 'Mosky' Mills or Dick Upex ... and FourFourTwo is generally not read by the over-80's anyway, so let's not get too hung up on the pre-War years.

Controversy will rage, I'm sure. But there are still five places up for grabs. I'll offer a short list or two for those places later in the day.