Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

solly signs jenkinson declines

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    If the dark side is a FOUR YEAR DEAL AT ARSENAL, any player in Jenkinson's situation would jump ship to there.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]I think it is our duty as fans to hate and boo him at every opportunity for the rest of his career. The message needs to go to young players that this will happen if they take the dark side/route. This means we should also show total support and encouragement to Jonjo at every opportunity throughout his career for the same reasons. I mean, If he is good enough, he would still end up at Arsenal, just we would get our fair reward for the part we played in his development.

Do you really think booing players who return to the club will make a blind bit of difference to future young players who aren't sure whether to sign a contract with us or move to a bigger club?

I'll tell you the answer. No.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Some might believe it is better to be loved than hated. Darren Bent left us for bigger and better things but we love him -not sure Sunderland fans feel the same. It's not nice to have thousands of people hating you when it would be quite simple to have them love you.

My point is, he would still end up at Arsenal as Shelvey ended up at Liverpool.
  • Options
    There are no guarantees in football. He would be mad to turn down the chance to join Arsenal.

The Shelvey situation wasn't identical. Jonjo was signing his first ever pro-deal as a 17 year old. Jenkinson is already 20 so shouldn't wait any longer to join a Premiership team.
  • Options
    If we had shown commitment to Jenkinson he may have showed commitment to us,instead we allowed his contract to run down, so why should he have signed. After his apprenticeship (for want of a better word) the club came to him with a contract, showing his commitment he signed it and that is the analogy with Jonjo, he had no loyalty obligation to sign a second contract just because the club failed to show him their commitment.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]My point is, he would still end up at Arsenal as Shelvey ended up at Liverpool.
    Would he?

Shelvey was more proven and was in the first team at an earlier age. The club had faith in him to offer him a 2 1/2 year deal on his 17th birthday and gave him another years extension months later.

Jenkinson is a cheap gamble for Arsenal because (from what I've read) they don't have many promising full backs coming through. Shelvey had been hyped up for at least a couple of years as a future England player.

He probably wouldn't develop in the same way with us compared to being at Arsenal either.
  • Options
    I think Jenkinson is a modern day Anthony Barness, surprisingly picked up by a higher team, did not make it and journeyed around the prem.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]journeyed around the prem.

Well, doing only that will ensure him a future without money worries.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]If we had shown commitment to Jenkinson he may have showed commitment to us,instead we allowed his contract to run down, so why should he have signed. After his apprenticeship (for want of a better word) the club came to him with a contract, showing his commitment he signed it and that is the analogy with Jonjo, he had no loyalty obligation to sign a second contract just because the club failed to show him their commitment.

spot on in my opinion.