Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

solly signs jenkinson declines

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]parker can be called a c**t....jenkinson nowhere near.

Now I won't have anything to do with Parker believe me... but he did sign a contract, not for altruistic reasons, not by a long shot, but he signed a big fat contract that undoubtedly got us a few million quid more than we would have got otherwise.
  • Options
    If a big club isn't willing to pay, lets say £1 million for you because you signed a contract. Is that really the club you want to be going to? Are they really showing that they want you and rate you or are they showing they can just take lower league players when they want for nothing then chuck them away if they don't fit in.
  • Options
    I'm not buying this "agents and family" stuff.

As others have said it's his decision to make. I'm not happy but if my son, at 19, was at Millwall and Arsenal or Man Utd came in for him I would advise him to go. If it was Charlton he and I might be swayed by being supporters but Jenkinson and his family aren't Addicks.

And I'm not blaming the Club either. Maybe I'm not as angry as I'm more cynical in this area than others. I don't expect "loyalty" in the terms people describe. I do expect commitment when players are under contract and playing. We all know Red-zed is a WUM and posting to stoke the fires and get a reaction but strip away the usual hyperbole and what he is saying makes sense for once.

On tapping up but when a contract is running down and has less than 6 months left then they are legally entitled to look elsewhere. That's not tapping up. It's a proper safeguard to allow employees to find alternative employment.

I'm more interested in the Clubs PR on this. This is all very much out in the open, much more so than normal. New board, new manager, new ways. I'm not unhappy with that as I like to hear the Club's point of view but it is interesting.

I still think there maybe a few twists and turns in this one and we might still see Jenkinson signing a new contract with us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]If a big club isn't willing to pay, lets say £1 million for you because you signed a contract. Is that really the club you want to be going to? Are they really showing that they want you and rate you or are they showing they can just take lower league players when they want for nothing then chuck them away if they don't fit in.
    Jenkinson will clearly be a cheap gamble for whoever signs him.

Although for some of the big clubs, £1m-2m is a cheap gamble...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]At the end of the day, if these clubs want him then they will still want him if he's signed a contract. No one is saying its wrong to want to go on to a bigger club, but you can do so and help the club thats helped you. That way everyone is happy.

I cant agree more Uncle. I dont worry or feel sad that he has deciced to move on.....however if he was good enough he would still have been 'targetted', but CAFC would have got a bit of return on their money that they have invested over the years. What has disapointed me is that if his head has been turned by his parents, where is their loyalty to CAFC. Surely they would have known that by signing a contract it would have been some way to pay back their sons 'trainers' and 'mentors' etc. for 11 years of input.
    Wherever he goes I hope he does well, I also hope he realises where he got his break from.....you should never forget your roots.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]He wasn't treated like a piece of meat he was always treated well by Charlton and that was the reason he signed a contract, he knew by doing so it would enable Charlton to have a stronger hand when it came to transfer talks, and so giving them back a little of what they had given him through the years.
    As soon as Liverpool came sniffing around JJ was wrapped up in cotton wool and shoved in the back of the freezer, we never saw him again...

So how is that being treated like meat, I dont really want to get into the whys of it all now, it's been done to death but he was stopped playing long before liverpool came sniffing and that was the managers choice not liverpools or the boards. He was giving a chance a charlton, he was trained by them, giving the chance of first team football by them and generally very well looked after by them. I dont see how that is being treated as meat, he wasn't in the managers plans and a club came in and offered money for him, money that Charlton needed. I just think it was good business and everyone was happy.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    On another note, am delighted that Solly has signed. Thought he may not get a deal after his injuries but if he can stay fit, then we have a very good RB as shown whenever he has played.

Jenkinson, oh well that's football. Was annoyed yesterday at the lack of loyalty and the reasons for going but he is not the next Rooney and was far more upset when we lost Jonjo who we did not see the best of and has a fine chance of making it at Liverpool. Jenkinson may make it at a mid table Prem club but more likely to be Tony Hibbert than Gary Neville.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I'm not buying this "agents and family" stuff.

As others have said it's his decision to make. I'm not happy but if my son, at 19, was at Millwall and Arsenal or Man Utd came in for him I would advise him to go. If it was Charlton he and I might be swayed by being supporters but Jenkinson and his family aren't Addicks.

And I'm not blaming the Club either. Maybe I'm not as angry as I'm more cynical in this area than others. I don't expect "loyalty" in the terms people describe. I do expect commitment when players are under contract and playing. We all know Red-zed is a WUM and posting to stoke the fires and get a reaction but strip away the usual hyperbole and what he is saying makes sense for once.

On tapping up but when a contract is running down and has less than 6 months left then they are legally entitled to look elsewhere. That's not tapping up. It's a proper safeguard to allow employees to find alternative employment.

I'm more interested in the Clubs PR on this. This is all very much out in the open, much more so than normal. New board, new manager, new ways. I'm not unhappy with that as I like to hear the Club's point of view but it is interesting.

I still think there maybe a few twists and turns in this one and we might still see Jenkinson signing a new contract with us.
    It appears we have a rare agreement on a subject, Henry, so by calling me a WUM you are quintessentially labelling yourself a WUM too, and why oh why, after 48 years of unbroken loyalty to Charlton, my passionate views and opinions are any less valid to anyone elses and need to be dismissed by you as a wind up, I just don't fathom it, I really don't...

We don't like each other, we have a 'history', so what, leave it at that, please just don't feel it necessary to 'strip away my hyperboles' in order to validate your own muses, I certainly don't need you to patronise me by announcing to other CL members I'm 'making sense for once', get over yourself...!!!

I AM passionate about this club, I DO feel passionate about this subject, I DO feel Jenkinson has a right to ply his trade wherever his sees fit, I DO feel the club has handled it wrong...

At the end of the day it would appear this entire subject is about MONEY, not loyalty, not development, not the kid's future, MONEY...!

If Slater was getting a tidy wedge out of Jenkinson moving along he'd be happy as a pig in shit, if the club valued him as much as they say then when didn't they offer him better terms when he burst on the scene at Brentford..?

Slater took a gamble and lost, not for the first time since his short tenure either, by mugging off Jenkinson off on the web he's just making himself look a much bigger mug himself...
  • Options
    One of those things and nothing we can do about it. CJ's reasons are his reasons.

Recently in my office I've had a new manager take over. He's made changes and some of them have been unpopular. Some people have chosen to adapt and get on with it, others have kicked up a fuss and have been bitching about the new manager, trying to bring other colleagues down and other people have left or are making arrangements to leave.

Atmosphere in the office was a bit crap but now (3 months on) we've got through it, it's a much better place to work and everyone is pulling in the same direction.

I have a feeling that something like that has happened since Powells (and Dyers) arrival and it's been visable on the pitch. Hopefully those that want to leave Charlton do leave and are replaced with players with the right attitude and then the team spirit will return.

CJ is young and I can't blame him for taking this opportunity to move on if he's not happy. Just hope he doesn't move on to an only-slightly-better-team like Millwall or Palace. All the best to him for the future whatever his motives are for leaving.
  • Options
    DRFDRF
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I'm not buying this "agents and family" stuff.

I also agree with Henry but have to admit to being a total cynic on just about everything.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

I agree, maybe he is "playing the system" so we have fired it straight back at him. How come we have heard about his negotiations and no others?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I can understand why he's turned our offer down. It looks like he's going to have a great opportunity somewhere else, possibly even at the club him and his family support.

We had no problem signing Ross Worner from Woking quite cheaply did we? We didn't say he should have shown loyalty to Woking. If he had turned us down to play regularly for Woking we'd probably say he obviously lacks ambition and confidence in his own ability. I'd happily see us take cheap gambles on some promising young players from a couple of divisions below. We're a League 1 club right now, we are not attractive to a player who has interest from clubs two divisions above.

Jenkinson is probably going to step up two divisions, train with some top players under a good Premier League manager and coaches. It is a great opportunity even if he isn't playing first team football.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: arthur[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

I agree, maybe he is "playing the system" so we have fired it straight back at him. How come we have heard about his negotiations and no others?

That was my thinking but just guess work on my part.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I can understand why he's turned our offer down. It looks like he's going to have a great opportunity somewhere else, possibly even at the club him and his family support.

We had no problem signing Ross Worner from Woking quite cheaply did we? We didn't say he should have shown loyalty to Woking. If he had turned us down to play regularly for Woking we'd probably say he obviously lacks ambition and confidence in his own ability. I'd happily see us take cheap gambles on some promising young players from a couple of divisions below. We're a League 1 club right now, we are not attractive to a player who has interest from clubs two divisions above.

Jenkinson is probably going to step up two divisions, train with some top players under a good Premier League manager and coaches. It is a great opportunity even if he isn't playing first team football.

Agree as ever with Scoham's level head analysis.

Worner is a great example. If he had turned us down mind it would have been because "we sunk so low now that blah, blah, blah..." : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Never fails to surprise me the amount of 'fans' who always take the opposite view when its our club on the receiving end.

I'm not happy with the situation and I'd much rather he'd sign a contract, stay for a season and then move on with all our blessings. Unfortunately life isn't like that. You have to take the chances when they come along as you never know if they will ever come along again. Yes I do believe he is making the wrong decision but I'm not going to come on here and vilify him for it.

If we want to be up in arms about anything it should be the whole Compensation Payment situation where you know we will be shafted by one of the big boys. These payments should be weighted more in favour of the lesser teams so that if a player goes on to make say 50 PL appearances the lesser club is guaranteed to receive at least 5m.
  • Options
    At the end of the day, if these clubs want him then they will still want him if he's signed a contract. No one is saying its wrong to want to go on to a bigger club, but you can do so and help the club thats helped you. That way everyone is happy.

I agree completely with what Uncle says.
  • Options
    Did anyone get the Mercury this week? One for Jenkinson's scrap book I believe.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Half Nelson[/cite]At the end of the day, if these clubs want him then they will still want him if he's signed a contract. .

If that were true, no players would see out thier contracts.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]We had no problem signing Ross Worner from Woking quite cheaply did we? We didn't say he should have shown loyalty to Woking. If he had turned us down to play regularly for Woking we'd probably say he obviously lacks ambition and confidence in his own ability. I'd happily see us take cheap gambles on some promising young players from a couple of divisions below. We're a League 1 club right now, we are not attractive to a player who has interest from clubs two divisions above.
    Excellent example of how the football transfer system really works, too many people at Charlton want to eat their cake and have it...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]He wasn't treated like a piece of meat he was always treated well by Charlton and that was the reason he signed a contract, he knew by doing so it would enable Charlton to have a stronger hand when it came to transfer talks, and so giving them back a little of what they had given him through the years.
    As soon as Liverpool came sniffing around JJ was wrapped up in cotton wool and shoved in the back of the freezer, we never saw him again...

So how is that being treated like meat, I dont really want to get into the whys of it all now, it's been done to death but he was stopped playing long before liverpool came sniffing and that was the managers choice not liverpools or the boards. He was giving a chance a charlton, he was trained by them, giving the chance of first team football by them and generally very well looked after by them. I dont see how that is being treated as meat, he wasn't in the managers plans and a club came in and offered money for him, money that Charlton needed. I just think it was good business and everyone was happy.

Seems a a fair assessment to me. I wonder though, if Jonjo felt a bit more secure in the knowledge that, with all the reputation/hype behind him, he was sure to get his big move eventually - whether that be for a 'proper' transfer fee or via a tribunal. I think Jenks' rise to prominance has caught everyone a little bit by surprise - perhaps Jenks is conscious this may be his one big chance and therefore is keen not do anything that may jeapodise that. In reality it may not make any difference, but if someone is telling him signing a new deal could scupper his move than he'd be silly not to take some heed of that, imo.

It's a shame for us, but it all keeps coming back to the flawed transfer system that allows these circumstances to arise, rather than it being a reason to criticise Jenks for trying to do what's best for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope Jenkinson has made the wrong decision but am very pleased that Solly has signed and they would have been in direct competition for a place.

I’m finding it bloody hard to be positive at the moment.
  • Options
    This whole episode has confirmed to me how much of a class act Jonjo and his family were.

Uncle, you can be proud of your, Jonjo's and the rest of your family's attitude, and I now, even more than before, want him to recover from the injury and go on and be the player we know he can be, as quick as possible. Do you know when he will have recovered?
  • Options
    I read yesterday that he was back in training along with Gerrard and someone else who had been injured up there...
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    This article from Kent Sports News seems to be saying that Jenkinson was ready to sign but changed his mind after getting abuse from our fans at D&R last weekend...interesting comment about Stewart being ''auditioned''. I think I like that word much more than ''trial''...

All change expected at The Valley

By Chris Thompson

Tuesday's signing of Michael Stewart may prove to be hugely significant in Charlton's promotion bid next season. A box-to-box dynamo of a player, if he can stay fit, his influence would be profound. His short term deal to the end of the season will see Stewart being auditioned as the man to build the team of 2011/12 around.

Chris Solly would have been delighted to have been offered a new two year deal following his injury problems. Solly has been on the periphery of the team for some while now and will view next season as being pivotal in his career.

Carl Jenkinson has declined an offer on significantly improved terms however. Jenkinson was left out of the team that faced Southampton on Tuesday due to the situation regarding his contract. Here's what Chris Powell had to say about the state of affairs after the game, "I just felt that he wasn't right with contract issues going on."

Powell told the South London Press that he believed the player's representatives had agreed a deal with the club but there appeared to have been a re-think. The manager clearly believes the player has been encouraged not to sign a new deal at The Valley and said this, "He was keen to sign but it seems that the lad has had some outside influence and been pressed not to sign."

Jenkinson was included in Saturday's team at Dagenham so whatever influence was brought to bear came after the game.

Both Arsenal and Manchester United, among others, are understood to be interested in Jenkinson who was reported as being distraught at the abuse the players received at the final whistle. With other options available, the player may well have been swayed by the post-match reaction of the fans.

Clearly Jenkinson is a player with huge potential and he has been tracked by bigger clubs for some while. It does beg the question of why Charlton waited until March before trying to secure his signature.

It remains to be seen whether the club make a fresh offer to the player in the hope of keeping him. The Addicks would be entitled to a development fee if Jenkinson moves on in the summer.''
  • Options
    I don't think Jonjo's situation can be compared to Jenkinson's. In Jonjo's case the club recognised that they had a player with significant potential and therefore value and not only selected him to play regularly in the first team (until the last few months he was with us) but they protected the clubs investment by offering him a significantly improved contract 18 months (I think) before his current one ended. In Jenkinson's case it seems his worth was only recognised by Chris Powell and then, even after playing a few games in the first team, the club obviously chose to lump him in with all the other professionals who would not have their contracts negotiated until the end of the season.

By letting his contract run into its last 6 months the club effectively decided he had no value. Nobody could have predicted how well he would perform in those games he played for us so I don’t really blame the club. But I don’t blame Jenkinson either, or his agent, who frankly would have been utterly failing in his duties if he did not start trying to find another club for Jenkinson once his contract entered the last 6 months.

But I am with Henry on this. I think he might still sign another contract.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]This whole episode has confirmed to me how much of a class act Jonjo and his family were.

Uncle, you can be proud of your, Jonjo's and the rest of your family's attitude, and I now, even more than before, want him to recover from the injury and go on and be the player we know he can be, as quick as possible. Do you know when he will have recovered?

He is due to be in the squad for their next game against Roy's WBA
  • Options
    Managers and players name eludes me but once upon a time, the player signed to go elsewhere. The manager was
    not happy and did not play the player again that season in favour of an
    up and comer he could train. There was a wave of criticism but the manager stood firm.
    I must say I was one of the few that agreed with him.

If Jenkinson does not sign at all and signs to go elsewhere, Mr Powell would be (IMO) derelict in his duties in not
    giving Solly more exposure and more game time and particularly if the player keeping him out was a player who will
    not be here next season.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the article IA. The key words in that are: "...distraught at the abuse the players received...".
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Thanks for the article IA. The key words in that are: "...distraught at the abuse the players received...".

Mmmmm.........so if he signs for a BIG Club and gets booed during a game, or his teaam gets booed off, he's off again? Needs to grow up quickly.........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Man_About_Town[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Thanks for the article IA. The key words in that are: "...distraught at the abuse the players received...".

Mmmmm.........so if he signs for a BIG Club and gets booed during a game, or his teaam gets booed off, he's off again? Needs to grow up quickly.........
    I'm not convinced it's true, could have easily been just taken from here or twitter by a journalist.